Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #18

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess I would disagree in this case because I have always thought Mollie was abducted on her jog on her way to her mothers home for dinner. Actually somebody was nice enough to earth google it and I took the jog myself. :)
We don't know, for a fact, her exact jogging route, or that she was ever on her way to her mother's though. It's a possibility, but nothing was confirmed.

The more I think about it, this dichotomy goes towards exactly why I'm not really feeling WC as a suspect. IF he is responsible, then at least to me, based on known information, half of his actions have been very shrewd, while the other half have been very stupid.

As a generality, if a potential suspect must have engaged in a combination of especially shrewd and especially stupid actions to pull off an unsolved crime, in my eyes they are unlikely to have committed it. I wish I could take credit for this concept but I can't, it came from Bill James' Popular Crime.

Obviously there are exceptions; whoever killed Missy Bevers seems to be one such smart/stupid lucky perp. And also obviously there could be more information known to LE that converts some of WC's hypothetical actions from "smart" to "stupid".
I just don't know what to make of WC. He baffles me. He cooperates with interviews but refuses a poly then tells he refused to media. He has somewhat of a record and the whole town know him and all his business.
<modsnipped no link to substantiate claim>
I guess my thought is this. There is something that keeps bringing them back to him numerous times.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: dub
I too think it’s probable that she headed towards her mother’s house. But since you’ve done the jog, you don’t think it’s possible that she could have been abducted quickly under the cover of darkness, while traveling that route?

It wouldn't have been dark if she jogged at the same time she usually did. That she jogged at her usual time on the night in question seems to be corroborated by what the witnesses who last saw her have stated. Her family also said she was a creature of habit.

We don't know, for a fact, her exact jogging route, or that she was ever on her way to her mother's though. It's a possibility, but nothing was confirmed.
Her mother did say in the interview today that she and Mollie had texted and Mollie had indicated she was going for a run and then would be going to Mom's house for dinner, but never showed up. Mother said they were texting at around 7:30pm.

Hmmm...seems I could be in the minority here as far as having a high hinky meter reading on WC. I always appreciated my fellow posters’ readings and assessments. It will be interesting to see if he is ruled out, left open or eventually charged. He could be like an RL or DN in A and L’s case. Whatever the case, I hoooooope this guy has nothing to do with her disappearance, that’s for sure.

I share your concerns about him Margarita25.

Hope we learn more at the press conference tomorrow.

I just don't know what to make of WC. He baffles me. He cooperates with interviews but refuses a poly then tells he refused to media. He has somewhat of a record and the whole town know him and all his business.
Then there is his ex wife that works at the same hospital Mollie worked at...a connection. Then there is the maybe red tshirt and of course the big search of the property.
I guess my thought is this. There is something that keeps bringing them back to him numerous times.
He's certainly a memorable person. I wondered why agreed to give the news interview and then attempted to walk back into house as it began.

SJM-L-MOLLIE-0808-3.jpg

Mollie Tibbetts, 20, who has been missing since July 18 from her home in Brooklyn, Iowa, joined her her brothers, Jake (center) and Scott, for sightseeing in Yosemite after their father’s June wedding at Bass Lake south of Yosemite. (Photo courtesy of Rob Tibbetts)

From Oakland to Iowa, Mollie Tibbetts’ family relies on two communities and clings to hope
From Oakland to Iowa, Mollie Tibbetts' family relies on two communities and clings to hope

snipped by me

RoadID also makes an awesome bracelet - not tech related at all - they're about $12 said:
Yes! Great little item. I have been wearing some form of this for years. I wear a shoe tag because I hated the tan lines on my wrists and ankles. When they came out with the app I tried it immediately as a woman who runs alone. My husband runs before sunrise every morning and I worry. This gives me piece of mind if anything were to happen to him all I need to do is check the link. I think he monitors mine more while I am running. I only refer to his if I think he is late. Our daughters use it, too. It won't prevent a crime but it can certainly help solve it or maybe it could thwart one.

It wouldn't have been dark if she jogged at the same time she usually did. That she jogged at her usual time on the night in question seems to be corroborated by what the witnesses who last saw her have stated. Her family also said she was a creature of habit.
The only reason I question that she was abducted at that particular time, is that we have heard rumors of her doing homework after that time. This of course doesn’t jibe with her jogging clothes being missing, which means these things contradict one another. That’s why I am putting forward the possibility of her keeping her jogging clothes on, with the possible intention of going to her mom’s house at a later hour. That’s of course contingent upon the notion that she was in fact doing homework after the jog, which may or may not be true.

I too think it’s probable that she headed towards her mother’s house. But since you’ve navigated the route, you don’t think it’s possible that she could have been abducted quickly under the cover of darkness, while traveling that route?

No cover of darkness:

Wednesday, July 18, 2018 (CDT)
Sunset in Brooklyn, IA
8:41 PM
And it usually stay light for a period after sunset.

Also:
"She goes for a run every night. She likes to go whenever the sun's not down," Jack told ABC News in a recent interview. "She knows Brooklyn extremely well, better than I do, and I’ve lived here my entire life."

Source:
Timeline of the disappearance of University of Iowa student Mollie Tibbetts

I guess I would disagree in this case because I have always thought Mollie was abducted on her jog on her way to her mothers home for dinner. Actually somebody was nice enough to earth google it and I took the jog myself. :)
I agree with both of you. So how's that for confusing! I believe Mollie was abducted while jogging. However as Wildcat posted, it hasn't been confirmed whether she went missing on the 18th or the 19th. And even if she was abducted while running, we don't know if she was running to her mother's house, or just on one of her "normal" routes.

Her mother did say in the interview today that she and Mollie had texted and Mollie had indicated she was going for a run and then would be going to Mom's house for dinner, but never showed up. Mother said they were texting at around 7:30pm.

And isn't that about the time that the neighbor who was interviewed by media said he saw her on her phone, then added that she didn't come back that way? So, was she at the end of a run or headed toward one, and is the last known communication from her? (besides the snap chat, and my understanding is we don't even know when that was sent).

Authorities said Tibbetts may have returned home to do homework after her jog, meaning she did not disappear away from home.

So this is still a may have not a for sure?
Exactly. We are in the dark here, which changes the possibilities of what may have happened and where.

You're welcome. I agree with you on all your points. Unfortunately, IMOO, it seems like any time members here try to go there (discuss why there seems to be unusually large FBI/LE presence on this particular case of a missing person) the slippery slope of postulations on why devolves into discussions of sex trafficking and serial killers, and mods refer people to forums where those topics are discussed at large, and tell people to keep focused on Mollie and what we do know (my take on this only).
Obviously sex trafficking is an issue in our country, albeit, one that doesn’t get enough press... I do not think that’s what we are looking at with Mollie. At least, I hope not. She has a family, connections, was missed almost immediately etc... I understand the high FBI presence could cause some people to sleuth down that route, but in my honest opinion, she’s too “high risk” (for the perp) to kidnap into trafficking. Unfortunately, I feel like trafficking victims are more often than not, people who won’t bring press attention, and not make headlines. I’m sure their are outliers but, I sincerely do not believe that’s what we are dealing with. Which, leaves the question, why the heavy FBI presence? State lines, info not being released, a POI already identified, did mom or dad have a higher up that they called a favor into? I honestly do not know.

On the little Google Jog I took I did pass by what looked like a high school and also a few businesses. Mollie's mom's house sits kind of on the outskirts of town in a new development. I'm crossing my fingers that school and those busineses had video that works. If you ever get a chance watch See No Evil. It shows how police are using video cameras and they work. Mickey Shunick was kidnapped while riding her bike and her abductor was found by video. Interesting case there.

We know that Jack left Mollie on the 17th, but I has it ever been stated when Blake and Allie left? Did Mollie spend the night alone in the house on the 17th? Or did Blake and Allie leave on the 18th and that was the first night Mollie spent alone in the house? I'm trying to figure out the plausibility of someone entering the house on the 17th while she was at work, or maybe having seen the house with no cars in the driveway on the 17th and then attempting a break in on the 18th.

What point on the map did you end up at after 15 minutes, if you google-jogged the route neighbor's reported seeing her?

Also does she run the same area. If she was an avid runner in a small town then her run route should be known by everyone in the city.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dinny