Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #18

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
They also get involved when law enforcement asks them to. Any local agency can ask for the FBI’s help. Their being involved isn’t contingent upon a jurisdictional reason.

Exactly. Someone posted the FBI guidelines in an earlier thread too. Whether the state prosecutes or the United States Attorneys prosecute as a federal crime is still obviously dependent on the ultimate crimes the suspect is charged with. AUSAs don't get to just decide they want to make a case federal if the crimes are all violations of state law and not federal law.

Is there any case of that ever being successful? I know they were optimistic that they could find Missy Bevers murder that way, but nothing came out of it. I have heard about them subpoenaing cell tower data in other cases, but I have never heard of any successful outcome.

The first problem is that cell phones ping upto 45 miles away. So even in a rural area thousands of cell phones are pinging a tower at any given moment. They would then have to investigate every one of those cell phone users. To make it worse, in this case they would probably have to look at all the cell phones that pinged in a 18 or 24 hour period. That could be 50,000 phones, or more.

Yes, Kayla Brown SC was missing for two months and found ALIVE with her cell phone pings/computer records. 2017

While many details of just how authorities were able to zero in on Todd Kohlhepp’s 95-acre property in Woodruff as the site where a missing Anderson woman was being held captive, they have said that pings from kidnapping victim Kala Brown’s cell phone played a role in helping them to locate her.

Anderson police investigators were able to obtain cell phone records from AT&T, Brown’s cell phone service provider, after they had obtained a search warrant or court order, said Ann Elsas, spokeswoman for AT&T in South Carolina.

How police used pings from a cell phone to find Kala Brown
How they found Kala Brown and Charlie Carver
South Carolina woman found; body discovered on property - CNN

Mollie's mom said she last talked to Mollie at 7:30 pm on the night of July 18th and that she told her she was going for a run. I believe that she was last seen at 7:45pm jogging. Neighbor also said that LE told him that she made it home from that jog safely and then did homework and presumably sent a snapchat to Dalton which would make sense. Some media articles reported that she only went on a 15 minute jog that evening. I can see her cutting her jog short if she knew she had homework to turn in before she went to her mom's for dinner. So go home 7:50, homework and snapchat. Since running clothes are still missing let's assume she didn't change or shower because she wanted to get to her mother's before dark. She probably left DJ's home no earlier that 8:30 but possibly as late as 9 or 9:15 depending on how long the homework took. If she left that late then she would definitely walking to mom's house in the dusk/dark, and someone who had been stalking her could easily have taken that opportunity.
Precisely. This is absolutely plausible.

Thanks for this I’m a longtime sufferer I’m going to ask my Dr about this medication. Is it usually covered through ins?

Yes it is prescription based and so far my plan still covers it but they limit quantity. It is pretty expensive and they limit me to 6 per month so I pay out of pocket for more because I sometimes get more than 6 in a month and dont ever want to be without having it handy.

Stinking insurance companies always trying to limit us or take things off the formulary lists so we have to pay out of pocket. :(

I've been wondering all along why she didn't go jogging with one or the the other dog, so maybe they were not friendly? Not that a dog will completely stop someone who wants to do something bad, but it might have made a difference.....

As an owner of a large dog, I can tell you it's actually not that easy to run with my dog.. He stops to do his business, and I have to pick it up. He stops to pee on bushes, sniff poles, hydrants and random blades of grass. Now I am not an avid runner so he goes with me, but if I'm trying to improve time and endurance he is a distraction.

I just wanted to point out this quote from an article today, where it states dad talks on the phone for hours on the weekend with his kids. So for those who were wondering about the 3-hr phone call on the Sunday before she went missing, it sounds like it was not out of the ordinary.

From Oakland to Iowa, Mollie Tibbetts' family relies on two communities and clings to hope

"Despite the distance, he’s remained close with his children through the years. Every weekend, he spends hours on the phone with all three. He spoke with Mollie a few days before she disappeared. She was about to sign a lease for her first college apartment in the fall and get the first stamp in her new passport for a trip to the Dominican Republic to celebrate a friend’s wedding."

I completely agree with you. I’m simply trying to fit her going on her jog, her apparently returning home, and the reason for her apparently remaining in her jogging clothes. If all of these things are true, then she might have planned on going to her mom’s house to perhaps pick up the car.
I think the same. She was at the house or close-by and someone she knows or did not know well came in contact with her. This is a verily closed-in area to be taking someone unwillingly. Now unexpectedly is another question and the situation changing makes way more logical sense.

In what way?
Either someone had a family they were trying to protect (I don't know marital status yet) and possibly committed an abduction or worse, or someone had a reputation to protect/didn't want people getting hurt and didn't know how to handle the consequences and made it look like an abduction.

Last edited:
I completely agree with you. I’m simply trying to fit her going on her jog, her apparently returning home, and the reason for her apparently remaining in her jogging clothes. If all of these things are true, then she might have planned on going to her mom’s house to perhaps pick up the car.[/QUOTE

Going to the get the car is very plausible. Here's where I get hung up there: she didn't take her wallet with her. Wouldn't she have grabbed her wallet/license with me when I drive. Then again, I don't live in rural Iowa, so the question is: would Mollie ever drive without having her license with her? Somebody

Yes. That's why I think she never made it home from the jog.

I completely agree with you. I’m simply trying to fit her going on her jog, her apparently returning home, and the reason for her apparently remaining in her jogging clothes. If all of these things are true, then she might have planned on going to her mom’s house to perhaps pick up the car.

Dear MassGuy,

Mollie would have at least 2 or 3 sets of jogging clothes- tops and bottoms to wear interchangeably.

She jogged on a daily basis so she'd need a few jogging outfits.

She could have showered and changed into another set of jogging clothes that were comfortable, completed some homework, sent the Snapchat and headed off to her Mom's house.

A witness noticed a pink sports bra. The pink sports bra is missing from her collection of sports bras.

Mollie would not have worn the same sports bra as the night before.

She either kept the same one on after her first jog (pink one) or showered and changed into the pink one which everyone agrees is missing. And the witness claimed she was wearing a pink sports bra.

Last edited:
As an owner of a large dog, I can tell you it's actually not that easy to run with my dog.. He stops to do his business, and I have to pick it up. He stops to pee on bushes, sniff poles, hydrants and random blades of grass. Now I am not an avid runner so he goes with me, but if I'm trying to improve time and endurance he is a distraction.
The bright side is he may save your life someday

Dear MassGuy,

Mollie would have at least 2 or 3 sets of jogging clothes- tops and bottoms to wear interchangeably.

She jogged on a daily basis so she'd need a few jogging outfits.

She could have showered and changed into another set of jogging clothes that were comfortable, completed some homework, sent the Snapchat and headed off to her Mom's house.
Absolutely. But I was under the impression that her jogging clothes were missing.

Actually, no.
Pregnancies can change everything. Many pregnant women have been killed due to being pregnant and that changing everything in the power dynamic in their relationships and their lives. No one knows if she was pregnant, but if she was, it would be a game changer and could certainly be a factor in her going missing IMHO.

However, I have not read anywhere that her jogging clothes have been found. Had she showered, certainly she would have put on clean clothes?
Her Mother indicated today that her running clothes, Fitbit, earbuds, and phone are not accounted for... I still think she came home (from the neighbor's and Father's statement) then went missing.

I just wonder if he has stalked or is stalking other women in the community in addition to his ex and her daughters. Not accusing this man of anything.

I saw at least three different women as plaintiffs or mention in the cases/charges against WC. None of whom were his ex wife - who is not JJ, btw. It's possible they are all exes, but still concerning in terms of there being an ongoing pattern of behavior.

As a general plea, can we please try to be careful and avoid accusing victims of WC of being opportunistic fame-seekers or money-grubbers? JMO, but it comes across as victim blaming, this is a victim friendly site and the woman who was interviewed, and her daughter should be viewed as victims. It's corroborated in public court documents.

WC pled guilty to some of the charges and was convicted. Protection orders and no contact orders were granted against him many times. There's a pattern of behavior here against multiple women which is troubling. It's not just one, that needs to be emphasized. Harassment in the 1st degree involves threatening to commit a felony against the person, by the way.

It's disturbing to me that people (not just here but everywhere) seem to be downplaying stalking, harassment and violating no contact orders. Downplaying domestic abuse allegations. Obviously having been a survivor of DA myself(and being stalked by a SO after having left the country where the DA resided), my personal experiences are going to make this a very hot issue for me. I have a bias, but I am going to share my perspective anyway in the hopes of helping others to understand why I am disturbed by the train of thought I mentioned above.

I had to flee a country to escape my abusive ex and he still tried to make contact, made inquiries which got back to me which indicated he might attempt to enter the country that I had fled to (due to knowledge of some future plans I had told him prior to the abuse). I've had panic attacks decades years later when I thought I glimpsed his face in a crowd, even though logically I know it couldn't have been him. The trauma and stress may lessen over time, but it doesn't take much to set off those same feelings of being terrified for my privacy, my safety and, at times, even my life. It is difficult to articulate what it feels like to live with that kind of ongoing fear. It can be paralyzing.

All I ask is for people to pause before accusing confirmed or even alleged victims of DA and other personal crimes as being attention seekers looking for a pay out.

There's still a massive stigma surrounding the reportage of domestic abuse, stalking/harassment and sexual assault. Far too often victims are accused of being crazy, hysterical, vindictive liars, willing participants or having provoked the criminal acts in some way. Is it any wonder so few women report crimes against their person when they often are the ones who get their reputations dragged through the mud even more than the accused? It takes a lot of courage and fortitude to make formal complaints to the police and even stick it out through the court process.

So, please, please can we be mindful of this and err on the side of sensitivity when discussing victims?

Precisely. This is absolutely plausible.

LE may have just said that to see what reaction or draw giving those “facts” would have solicited from the neighbor. Just because the LE said that to the neighbor when questioning him doesn’t mean it’s true. Sometimes they are waiting to be corrected with the known info so that they know the witness is legit. This isn’t the FBI’s first rodeo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rythmico