Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Shoot, even my phone records when I sleep. I have an android. I would have assumed her fitbit has GPS, because if she is remotely serious about running I'm sure she tracks her runs. I track my swims etc. All my competing friends use Strava or something similar to check pace etc (and hence take their phones along). I can't think of why she would have her phone on her though if she was running and her fitbit has GPS, seems like an extra annoyance, and it's a small quiet town, not a NYC burrough. Also, once they get the warrant on Snapchat, they should be able to get the snap location/time.
On the glasses, my daughter is pretty blind, yet it's a struggle to get her to wear them outside of school, she says she's fine. I'm not convinced but she seems to function ok with pretty poor eyesight.

So I'm just thinking aloud here, hope that's ok. This case is sticking with me and I really hope and pray that Mollie comes home! Anyway, at first I was thinking that maybe she let the dogs out overnight or in the early morning, hence no contacts. And maybe it was the morning and she had gotten dressed (hence the missing work shirt) but she didn't have time to put on her glasses or contacts because the dogs were barking to go potty. I don't think anyone would've approached her if she had dogs with her. She may have left the door unlocked after letting the dogs out and someone came in but I still don't see an intruder coming inside knowing dogs were there. Many dogs will bark if they hear a noise or see an unfamiliar person. I hope LE have a good idea of what time she disappeared. She must've been outside without the dogs if someone kidnapped her. It would also be interesting to know if the house was found to be unlocked. I do know many people in rural areas are not in the habit of locking their doors. JMO

For what it’s worth: people were posting this “missing” post on Facebook Thursday afternoon before 4pm. I left work early that day to storm chase, I think it was around 3:30pm. I saw the Facebook post before I left. I’m 100% sure of that.
The contact to police would have been 24 hours after last physical contact, so I have no problem with that. They we're calling all around to try to locate her and used SM to get the work out cheaply. Seen that in other cases. When they exhausted all avenues they contacted LE.

Because his story about his phone falling on his face makes no sense. Neither does him texting her at 7 and then opening her SC at 10. Then saying he didnt notice in the morning if she messaged him back.

The BF last saw her Monday he said.

Didn't the brother text her early that morning and no reply? So she would have been grabbed well before 5 am. Who would open the door before then to a stranger, in the middle of a crazy storm. Seems unlikely.

Except he arrived later to help search for her, after the police would have already serached the residence. He was saying what she had on her...but police would not have told him the details of what she had and didn't in order to protect the investigation.

I don't know. I haven't seen anywhere that they weren't texting all night until he fell asleep. He said he opened her SC at around 10:00 p.m. but fell asleep and woke with the phone on his face, not having answered her SC.

He works construction, right? They get up super early and tend to work very hard. I feel it is absolutely likely that he passed out before responding to her last SC message. Maybe he had the phone in his hand and during the night he let go and it rested on his face. That's possible, although people do tend to roll around a lot. But it's an odd detail for someone to make up if they're trying to hide something. I think they would rather say they woke up to find the phone on their pillow, or on the floor or table. Not on their actual face.

Also, remember, according to Mollie's mom, he didn't like social media. He didn't really do snapchat much.

If he was rushing to work after having sent her a text, it is possible he didn;t pay much attention. Until everyone started realizing she wasn't at work and not responding.

I do get what you're saying though. In this day and age kids are glued to their phones and texting. But people can also get super busy and not look at things right away.

IIRC, one of the 1st articles I read, Mollie's mom was quoted as saying she spoke to Mollie around 7:30 p.m.Is there a link saying it was a text conversation?

I remember that too. So if true, we know she was home at 7:30 and didn't someone else say she did not go jogging after dark? What did the neighbor say?

Yep I know the rules- I provided a link last night for “the wrong info” and still got ridiculed... so clearly it doesn’t matter which way we go about this, people still feel the need to nitpick and act ridiculous !

I was talking about the OP

So I'm just thinking aloud here, hope that's ok. This case is sticking with me and I really hope and pray that Mollie comes home! Anyway, at first I was thinking that maybe she let the dogs out overnight or in the early morning, hence no contacts. And maybe it was the morning and she had gotten dressed (hence the missing work shirt) but she didn't have time to put on her glasses or contacts because the dogs were barking to go potty. I don't think anyone would've approached her if she had dogs with her. She may have left the door unlocked after letting the dogs out and someone came in but I still don't see an intruder coming inside knowing dogs were there. Many dogs will bark if they hear a noise or see an unfamiliar person. I hope LE have a good idea of what time she disappeared. She must've been outside without the dogs if someone kidnapped her. It would also be interesting to know if the house was found to be unlocked. I do know many people in rural areas are not in the habit of locking their doors. JMO

Welcome to Websleuths! Thank you for joining us and for caring about Mollie.

Welcome to Websleuths! Thank you for joining and posting on Mollie’s case thread.

I remember that too. So if true, we know she was home at 7:30 and didn't someone else say she did not go jogging after dark? What did the neighbor say?

I don't remember what the neighbor said, but it doesn't really get "dark" around here until after 9:00 p.m. or so right now. I've been walking my dog at 8:00 p.m. if it's hot out, so she certainly could have been jogging after 7:30 p.m. with plenty of daylight left.

Didn't Mollie's family say "she's a creature of habit"?...I thought he found out she didn't show up for work and that's what alerted him to something being wrong?...

Yes he is saying in the link below that someone from her work called him and so he knew right away she did not show up for work and also that she did not call into work about being sick or anything. So I can see how he knew pretty quick that afternoon that something was wrong.

"On Thursday afternoon, he got a call from her coworker."

"She said Mollie had not called into work that day and she hadn't showed up, and then I looked at the messages and she hadn't opened or read the message," he said. "And then I started getting in contact with her friends and family, saying, 'Have you seen her or heard from her?' And they all said the same thing. 'No, we haven't heard from her since yesterday.'"

Boyfriend of missing college student speaks out

Welcome to new members on this thread!

The posts here are insightful and deeply compassionate. Truly appreciated!

My heart goes out to Mollie's family.

Perhaps I am placing too much hope on the fitbit information the authorities now have, but hopefully this beautiful young woman can be found today. Praying for a good outcome.

Namaste,

I don't know. I haven't seen anywhere that they weren't texting all night until he fell asleep. He said he opened her SC at around 10:00 p.m. but fell asleep and woke with the phone on his face, not having answered her SC.

He works construction, right? They get up super early and tend to work very hard. I feel it is absolutely likely that he passed out before responding to her last SC message. Maybe he had the phone in his hand and during the night he let go and it rested on his face. That's possible, although people do tend to roll around a lot. But it's an odd detail for someone to make up if they're trying to hide something. I think they would rather say they woke up to find the phone on their pillow, or on the floor or table. Not on their actual face.

Also, remember, according to Mollie's mom, he didn't like social media. He didn't really do snapchat much.

If he was rushing to work after having sent her a text, it is possible he didn;t pay much attention. Until everyone started realizing she wasn't at work and not responding.

I do get what you're saying though. In this day and age kids are glued to their phones and texting. But people can also get super busy and not look at things right away.

He was said to have texted her at 7:30 and then he opened her snap chat at 10. He did not realize until morning she had not read his text. This tells me they were not texting all night. But if you fall alseep and your phone hits your face, you are usually in bed and involved in your phone.

She also had a tweet that joked about her BFs phone hitting her in the face when they napped. It is just all too coincidental.

Mollies twitter activity routinely shows she is up late past midnight every night liking and retweeting things.

Lets remember the storm in the morning so if the dogs were out it would have been a quick one so they werent lost in the storm.

This happened with the Chelsea Bruck story which was local to me and many of us followed. He was in the Find Chelsea groups on Facebook and his friends said he even mentioned going to help search....ugh!

That's creepy!!!

How blind was she? For me I can not drive without my glasses, watch tv, or see far distances well so I wear my glasses a majority of the day but at night and in the morning I just live life blurry. If I went for a run or walk I can easily do that without contacts or glasses but I just wouldn’t see that great.

Good question. As with so much, we are getting conflicting reports. She only used them for driving or she couldn't see without them! At least that's what I;ve seen posted here.

I thought they said the neighbor was the last to see her, now it’s the brother.

Tibbetts' older brother, Jake, was the last person to see her. He dropped her off at her boyfriend's house Wednesday night. ”

Yeah. Where did we get the info about the neighbor? Was that ever an official report? I know there's a post on an LE facebook page from someone purporting to be the neighbor saying he saw her jogging at around 8:30-9:30 that evening as he sat on his porch. He remembered the color of her sports bra which some found odd. Poweshiek County Sheriff's Office

I guess his supposed sighting is not official?

This possibility crossed my mind as well. Why? Because Mollie kept contacting her BF, trying to push him to the top of her Snapchat list.

Only a guess, but a possible scenario.

Wow. That's a super smart observation. I never would've thought of that.

Those SnapChat photos don't disappear, either. SnapChat keeps hold of them in a database. LE could request to have a looksie at Mollie's SnapChat.

Really? Well, they will know very quickly whether someone isn't telling the truth.

I don't remember what the neighbor said, but it doesn't really get "dark" around here until after 9:00 p.m. or so right now. I've been walking my dog at 8:00 p.m. if it's hot out, so she certainly could have been jogging after 7:30 p.m. with plenty of daylight left.

That's one of the nicer things I enjoyed while growing up in Wisconsin. When driving, we could still see the road around 9:30 p.m., and didn't have to use headlights.

Yes, it is completely possible Mollie could have been jogging after 7:30 p.m. The humidity and heat this time of year can make running during the daytime difficult.

The fact that there was a fair in a nearby town bothers me. Some carnival workers are definitely to be avoided. As a kid attending the local fair, I had a few unnerving experiences with them. And they are very mobile, going from one town to another, setting up at the next site.

I am absolutely not knocking those who work at carnivals; I'm sharing my experiences only.

Does anyone know what day the fair closed? Was it, by chance, the same day Mollie went missing?

Just curious, and MVHO.

ETA: I have a Garmin Forerunner that tracks my activities via GPS. Interestingly enough, it has captured my movements where a cellphone would be off the grid.

It is great they have the fit bit data but I just wish Mollie had the latest Apple Watch and she may have been able to alert she was in danger using the emergency function.

I'd imagine if this is/was an abduction (by whoever) the lack of evidence of a struggle means she was incapacitated very quickly and had absolutely no chance even if she did own this watch.

This doesn't sound good. Must have gotten some information where Mollie is from the Fitbit.

Mollie Tibbetts Case: Search for Missing Iowa College Student Turns to Vast Cornfield

The desperate search for a missing Iowa college student is focused on a vast expanse of dense cornfields.

It's a nightmare facing law enforcement as the hunt for the college sophomore who vanished after going jogging last week intensifies.

Mollie Tibbetts Case: Search for Missing Iowa College Student Turns to Vast Cornfield

Mollies twitter activity routinely shows she is up late past midnight every night liking and retweeting things.

I believe this is really significant. Everything seems to indicate she was done jogging and back at the house around 7:30pm, but that’s way early for her to just call it a night and go to bed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jessiw1234