Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #20

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm still on the fence on where everything happened, but I do believe if it didn't happen during her run, it happened as she got home. The house is set back from the road, plenty of time after she left for someone to get ready to grab her. I don't believe her neighbor would have seen a car in her driveway. It may have been someone she knew, he was waiting for her, she walked over to the car and got in to chat.
Me, too, on the "happened in the house" probability. So nothing was disturbed, so what - with the element of surprise, especially, a small person can be easily overpowered by a perp's physicality.

lateott's theory:

IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #19

IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #19

It seems that lateott's theory could be in the wheelhouse of what O'Toole suggests. While we can't say if the person lateott suggests was in anyway involved in this case or accuse the person of any kind of crime at all for that matter, the theory is compelling enough (given what the profiler said) that it would seem prudent that it was given to the tipline to let LE sort out. They may have already looked into it, and probably already dismissed it, but it would seem smart to have all the bases covered.
Lateott and I are on the same page. I'm assuming LE knows what we have dug up but what if they don't?

I would imagine there is a talk of the town favorite theory of what happened. Are people scared to let their children out to play? Are joggers now on the buddy system? Are people wary in the parking of the grocery store? What is the general feel of safety in the town?

While I respect your opinion LE does make mistakes. Would you like to have a private convo about my friend’s cousin? Taken in her own car and found months later less than a mile from her abduction sight. lE never gave us much info either. We just know she was taken in her car and potentially harmed in the process. We can only speculate that they are doing the very best job. MOO
I'm very sorry about that, and by no means saying LE is perfect, but that doesn't mean they are just sitting around doing nothing. Mistakes happen in any line of work, but mistakes are certainly more magnified and concerning when it involves someone's life. All I'm saying is in this particular case of MT, there's a reason they're handling it the way they are regardless of what the public thinks about it. If in the end it turns out they were inept to handle the investigation then we can complain about. But while the investigation is active I find no reason for the negative comments toward LE.

I still say and have been from the start, the cornfields...…..

The only thing that would make a corn field a good place to hide a body is the fact that the entire state of Iowa is covered in them and they are massive so there are hundreds of square miles to choose from. And if you were ambitious enough you could easily walk for miles in one undetected.

Aside from that they are very easy to search since the corn is in rows wide enough to easily walk through and there is no ground cover, just black dirt. If you poke your head into a field and get down low to the ground you can see a long way down each row. I sometimes hunt deer this way in the fall on windy days. Stick my head into the next row, look left and right, step up a row and repeat. When you see one you can get downwind, back out a couple rows and almost walk right up to them undetected.

The second problem with corn fields is that here in a couple more months they'll all be mown down and anything left in them will be revealed. Not saying somebody wouldn't dump a body in a cornfield (That is where Laura Schwendeman was found) but they are far from a good hiding spot. Convenient maybe.

Can anyone clarify the car situation based on actual quotes from her mom, dad, brothers, boyfriend, etc?

Was there a car for her to use at her Mom's house? Did her brother have the car and does he live with mom? Just trying to determine if she would have been running to mom's with the expectation of driving back, etc.

Since the security camera was out, if there is a connection, someone didn't want to be seen taking Mollie from either in or near the house, or visiting her and talking her into going for a ride. Since there were sightings of her jogging, perhaps that someone had become acquainted with her routine and took her or convinced her to go for a ride as she returned from her jog?
The timing of the camera going out might be of interest. If it is true (I don't know that it is) that it was thought to be due to something natural like lightning, maybe instead the reason for it going out is because someone was clever enough to make look like it going out was a natural occurrence?
What company next door? I thought it was just houses all around

Is the town small enough that police can just take dogs around everyones house just to smell no warrant type of searching

Since the security camera was out, if there is a connection, someone didn't want to be seen taking Mollie from either in or near the house, or visiting her and talking her into going for a ride. Since there were sightings of her jogging, perhaps that someone had become acquainted with her routine and took her or convinced her to go for a ride as she returned from her jog?
The timing of the camera going out might be of interest. If it is true (I don't know that it is) that it was thought to be due to something natural like lightning, maybe instead the reason for it going out is because someone was clever enough to make look like it going out was a natural occurrence?
That's what I'm wondering. The timing is just so convenient. But then that would mean she was taken or went willingly with someone near or at the house.

I don't think the theory exactly is "people see everything in small towns". (Or maybe it is, but that's not the way I took it, or the way I see it myself).

More specifically, it's that people in small towns have a better pulse on the things that they DO see, but not necessarily that they "see" anymore.

For example, if I went for a jog (or drive, whatever) around Mollie's neighborhood, someone might see me, might not. But if someone DID see me, they would be very likely to know that I wasn't a local/that my car wasn't local.

Whereas if I went for a jog around my apartment complex, again, someone might or might not see me, but if they did, 95% of the people would have no idea as to whether I lived here or not.

I see your point, but I think the stereotypes of small towns are getting in the way. If she ended up in any car, familiar or notably unfamiliar, the car and some connecting point between its driver and Mollie were equally likely to be noticed. Like the people who saw her jogging, someone would have seen her getting in a car or interacting with someone along her journey. Since no one did and no one seems to have noticed her on a return jog, I think she was farther out from all the in town and close to home areas. That to me makes it plausible that it was a stranger abduction. It may not have been, but I think the area in which she was seen and the BF's house are not really part of this.

I agree with you and have a question. In what scenario if she was no longer jogging or already deceased, being taken by car to that area, or left there, or the FitBit was tossed there, would the FitBit yield information?

All of the following would have to be true:

her phone was near the fitbit
her fitbit still had charge
her phone still had charge
her phone was powered on

(or, when the fitbit itself is recovered)

Last edited:
Be careful folks, about postings. And I am glad this is moderated.

1. Perps, the smart ones, like to read press clippings. This is not just in movies, it is true in RL.

This is a highly unusual crime. So you have to consider all possibilities. The sophisticated perps are narcissists - John Wayne Gacy, Bob Bordella, Charles Manson. They like the attention and they are always smarter than anyone else. Hide in plain sight.

It would not surprise me that someone with knowledge is monitoring this thread. Does that sound bizarre? In the old days they would clip newspaper articles or buy police scanners. Now it is the internet.

2. Sometimes people with inside knowledge do things. The highest rate of narcotics addiction is among doctors and nurses. The biggest bank 'thefts' are embezzlements.

We like our villains evil and disheveled and gang members, and ugly and unsophisticated. To have bad teeth and cook meth. Not always true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danielfromlb