Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #20

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all... longtime reader. Very seldom to I post.
IMHO The locals do not want to believe it is one of their own. I am from a small town in south georgia where 13 years ago a teacher disappeared into thin air. “Nobody” knew anything... yes there was talk of who and how, but very little evidence could be found. AND add in the fact that maybe a prominent family in the community MIGHT be involved... lips sealed tight. Fast forward 12/13 years, somebody decided to spill the beans. Case solved. Suspects arrested.
I have a feeling that the locals know something. Maybe not the entire story. Maybe just bits and pieces.
My prayer is that it will not take 13 years to find out what happened to mollie.

I am convinced she was taken during her run.

It all comes back to the Fitbit...

- When Tibbetts' Fitbit pinged at a hog farm about 10 miles southeast of the house in Brooklyn, IA, where she was last seen, police searched the area but found nothing, Mortved(Mitch Mortvedt, spokesperson for the Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation) said. Source: https://www.refinery29.com/2018/07/205956/mollie-tibbetts-missing-university-of-iowa-student

So they got a Fitbit "ping" at the hog farm. In order for the Fitbit to "ping", it was using GPS via her phone. In normal mode, Fitbits do not use GPS. The only way for it to get and use GPS information is for it to be put into an activity mode (running, biking swimming, etc). Mollie's Fitbit's (Alta HR) only activity mode is called MobileRun, which is activated through the Fitbit app on her phone. MobileRun is how one tracks their run, by providing heart rate, distance, and time overlayed on the GPS route data. When one finishes their run, they stop MobileRun(through the Fitbit app on the phone), which then shows the results and allows one to compare previous runs. So Mollie's Fitbit was using MobileRun when it "pinged" at or near the hog farm.

Putting all this together... Mollie activated MobileRun at the beginning of her run but never stopped MobileRun. Combine this with her missing workout outfit, missing headphones, dogs in the basement, and an undisturbed house. I think it is almost certain Mollie was taken on her run. It also explains how LE is confident in their timeline.

-

Whoever took her I don't believe she knew him that well because if she did, someone (a friend, family member) would know about him and would be her "enabler." A girl like her who seems smart would not be meeting someone without letting at least 1 person know about what's going on. She'd likely confide to a college friend, someone with no ties to her boyfriend or family. She may have even known this person through a friend. But there's been no information about that. So if this guy was barely known to her, I doubt she would feel comfortable meeting him in jogging attire. She'd at least get dolled up, even to meet a newish friend who's just a friend. And if this was an awkward guy type, I also don't think she'd be meeting him in just shorts and a sports bra. She'd only be comfortable enough to meet a longtime friend in these sweaty clothes, but that someone many people would already know about. And the fact that her bf didn't know she was meeting anyone, if she did arrange to meet someone it would be someone she felt romantic about so again she wouldn't be meeting him in sweaty clothes.

Some stranger grabbed her off the street? Seems a bit unlikely, I think she would have at least screamed so someone would have heard.
Maybe it was someone she knew who appeared out of the blue and offered her a ride. Why did her watch die at the pig farm? Did he take her out there and smash the watch himself? No way does it just die on the way to wherever while she's in the car. And if it died while laying on the ground for hours I'm sure they would've found it by now. Or did she happen to turn it off as they drove by the farm? Maybe the guy told her to.
Since there may be evidence she returned to her bf's house, he could've come into the house first and prepared a chloroform rag which would be why there's no sign of struggle. But the only evidence is her doing homework on the laptop, but how did they realize that? A file timestamp? Maybe that was just autosaved. I find it odd that she would go straight to her hw without showering or at least doing anything else that would have disturbed the home (at least take off her shoes?).

So many times something like this has to do with an intimate relationship. We know her bf was out of town and is cleared. We wonder if she willingly went with someone. Who could that be? Is this person married? (if this is the case)
A random kidnapping is well, random so I put that pretty far down on the totem pole. I'm still thinking whoever she went with is someone local. Did this person tell her there was an emergency he needed help with?
Also, the company next door to the house. Security cameras went out that night? Isn't that odd for it to be that night and then this circumstance?

When did the 3 hour conversation with her Dad occur? Is there something about what was discussed that makes her Dad at least outwardly, seem confident that this was a non-stranger abduction and that the abductor can be reasoned with? All I can think is that her Dad has given LE some information that no one else knows........I hope that is the case, but after all this time I think Mollie and maybe her abductor are both deceased. UGH

Long time lurker...first time poster here! First I think these boards are amazing for floating around different theories and the moderators do a wonderful job.

I’ve gone back and forth with whether Molly was taken by someone she knew or was it a random stranger that decided to drive through that small little town on that day. I’ve been in the USA 17 years now.It bought me back to my childhood in a town I grew up in back in Canada where the population was 1313. I’m 36 now and I scoured the Internet to see if there was a link I could share about the story but it was just before the internet took off! I’m 36 now and it happened around when I was 15-17 if my memory serves correct. I lived in a town where everyone knew everyone and everyone’s business....probably a little too much LOL The closest major city with a population of 100,000-150,000 was about a 40 minute drive away in the province of Newfoundland. Not much crime happened there back then and when it did it was major these days it has been become different. It was a normal summer day and a girl who was around 10 years old was walking to one of our two corner stores to visit her mom who worked there. During the 15 minute walk she was approached by a stranger in a car and ended up in the car with him. My next door neighbor was driving by at the same time and noticed the car and the man driving it just didn’t fit into our well known little town so he turned around and followed the car while alerting authorities. He actually ran the car off the road before police arrived and got the little girl to safety. The police arrived soon after and arrested the man. He admitted to the random kidnapping and had just picked a random town to drive in to go hunting. He never said what his final intentions were but most people figured it wouldn’t of ended well. That town was never the same after that. Everyone always looked over the shoulder, gave people second and third looks if they didn’t recognize you and assumed yet the foolish sense of safety we all had was gone. It was by the grace of God my neighbor paid attention to what had to be a split second and was able to pursue the vehicle. If he had not been there in that moment in time that little girl would of also been gone without a trace. We didn’t have cameras anywhere that day, she wasn’t in contact with him before or even knew him. It was COMPLETELY random without any trail leading to and from which is beyond terrifying because I know it happens so much these days. I guess my point is while harder these days with digital footprints, security cameras etc this scenario is definitely plausible if stars don’t align to leave clues, witnesses or even have someone realize what they could be witnessing if they see something.

I hope more than anything that Mollie is found safely and this nightmare ends for her family and friends. I just feel the more time elapses without any sort of information LE could be seeking or an arrest it’s going to be more difficult for that to happen.

This is all strictly based on my own opinion and that vivid memory from my teenage years. I hope I didn’t violate any rules by sharing this.

Mollie was dropped off after work at 5:30. She sent Dalton two messages that evening, the first being a text message sent at 7pm. We know she had homework to do that night and was going to make a dessert to take to work the next day.

Her mom said she and Mollie had exchanged several text messages that afternoon. “She had sent me a shopping list for a dessert she wanted to make and take to work. I texted her that I got the ingredients and asked if she was coming home for dinner”. Mollie said she would be home and asked what they were having. “Brats,” she replied. “OK”.

https://www.thegazette.com/subject/news/public-safety/mollie-tibbetts-missing-brooklyn-poweshiek-county-police-investigating-disappearance-20180723

Mollie’s mom said, “Yes, we were texting that night until approximately 7:30. She told me she was coming home for dinner but she was going on a run first”.

https://whotv.com/2018/08/07/13raw-tibbetts-family-keeping-hope-alive-that-mollie-will-come-home-safe/
ok sooo...she definitely disappeared the evening of the 18th then, no? was planning to go to mom's house but didn't text any differently and didn't show up, seems pretty clear cut. Unless it wasn't unusual for her to change her mind at the last minute and not let her mom know.

So many times something like this has to do with an intimate relationship. We know her bf was out of town and is cleared. We wonder if she willingly went with someone. Who could that be? Is this person married? (if this is the case)
A random kidnapping is well, random so I put that pretty far down on the totem pole. I'm still thinking whoever she went with is someone local. Did this person tell her there was an emergency he needed help with?
Also, the company next door to the house. Security cameras went out that night? Isn't that odd for it to be that night and then this circumstance?
Exactly. A random kidnapping in a tiny Iowa town is far down the probabilities list.

Jumping in late here but it stands to reason that if she did not take her wallet, she was not heading to pick up the car for work, willingly leaving with someone she knew, etc. This, in addition to the fact that she did not show up for dinner at her mother’s would point toward her disappearing on her r
Possibly a mainly quiet obsession over a number of years ?

A person that would be capable of engaging in a one-sided obsessive "relationship" might very well have trouble making, or chooses to avoid having close friends.

So did she or did she not buy the ingredients for the dessert she was making. If she didnt is it possible that she asked someone for a ride (since she shared cars with brother and didnt have a car that day) and on th eway to the store she was like let me text my mom and the driver panick and threw her fitbit out thw window.

Another question, many have post that the abducter threw the fitbit and cellphone purposely near WC property but I thought it was NOT found that the location is based on data recover not the actual fitbit or cell

Her mother bought the ingredients for the dessert. Disappearance of University of Iowa student Mollie Tibbetts remains a mystery

Calderwood said she had exchanged several text messages with her daughter that afternoon.

“She had sent me a shopping list for a dessert she wanted to make and take to work,” she said. “I texted her that I got the ingredients and asked if she was coming home for dinner.”

According to Calderwood, Tibbetts said she would be home and asked what they were having. “Brats,” she replied. “Ok,” Tibbetts responded.

But dinner came and went, Calderwood said, and Tibbetts didn’t come home.

The dessert was for an after work celebration on Friday. In previous discussion here (THREAD #1), a logical conclusion was that the cake would be made Thursday.

Family, co-workers fear for ‘bubbly, cheerful’ teen who vanished

According to Dugas, Tibbetts had a trip to the Dominican Republic and had a party planned for the Friday following her disappearance.

“It was her idea to plan it on Friday afternoon, right after work,” Dugas said. “It was one of the other co-worker’s birthdays, so we were going to get a cake.”

Last edited:
I agree!! People today know about refusing to go, fighting back, teens today are aggressive, assertive, not easily trusting others, fear doesn’t immobilize them, it angers them. Strong and physical and can see through bs in people, the problem is they think they are so street smart somewhat arrogant confident and have attitude that they do take risks, I know what I’m doing.. until they don’t have a solid plan for things they did not see and were not prepared for.
Young adults today make the same mistakes that were made by older adults of the past generations, without the digital footprint. Move out, move back home;. Phasing into adulthood and several false starts I call them. This is a mess, Mollies life according to dad said she had attitude, her life could be a mess? Something to that effect. What 19-20 year olds life isn’t up and down back and forth, making decisions and following through can be harder that first thought and require support from others outside your family, close partners, immediate family etc. we have no evidence she is not alive, the reward might move this case further along than we realize.

I am convinced she was taken during her run.

It all comes back to the Fitbit...

- When Tibbetts' Fitbit pinged at a hog farm about 10 miles southeast of the house in Brooklyn, IA, where she was last seen, police searched the area but found nothing, Mortved(Mitch Mortvedt, spokesperson for the Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation) said. Source: https://www.refinery29.com/2018/07/205956/mollie-tibbetts-missing-university-of-iowa-student

So they got a Fitbit "ping" at the hog farm. In order for the Fitbit to "ping", it was using GPS via her phone. In normal mode, Fitbits do not use GPS. The only way for it to get and use GPS information is for it to be put into an activity mode (running, biking swimming, etc). Mollie's Fitbit's (Alta HR) only activity mode is called MobileRun, which is activated through the Fitbit app on her phone. MobileRun is how one tracks their run, by providing heart rate, distance, and time overlayed on the GPS route data. When one finishes their run, they stop MobileRun(through the Fitbit app on the phone), which then shows the results and allows one to compare previous runs. So Mollie's Fitbit was using MobileRun when it "pinged" at or near the hog farm.

Putting all this together... Mollie activated MobileRun at the beginning of her run but never stopped MobileRun. Combine this with her missing workout outfit, missing headphones, dogs in the basement, and an undisturbed house. I think it is almost certain Mollie was taken on her run. It also explains how LE is confident in their timeline.

-

Slowly climbing off of the fence and leaning this way also.
Still a few things that don't fit but that is likely because we know so little

Have we considered that if she was taken while on her run that she was taken in broad, open daylight in a small community on a (probable) running route that is generally well populated? That might be difficult to achieve without unsuspecting witnesses at the very least.

ok sooo...she definitely disappeared the evening of the 18th then, no? was planning to go to mom's house but didn't text any differently and didn't show up, seems pretty clear cut. Unless it wasn't unusual for her to change her mind at the last minute and not let her mom know.

That's what I would like to know. I don't quite understand her living situation. Did she normally live with Mom during the summers when she wasn't in class at UI? I think because this was not necessarily a typical situation (her staying at boyfriends to take care of dog since BF, his brother and bro's fiancé were all out of town at the same time) there may not have BEEN a "usual" for her to expect.

In other words, it wasn't like this was the typical routine...Mollie stays at BFs with no car, jogs over to her moms house for dinner or to pick up a car, etc. So Mollie's mom may not have expected her to show up for dinner...it may have been more of a casual thing without the expectation that she would show up. Clearly it wasn't so weird that Mom called the police that evening when Mollie didn't show up for dinner...

So to me, it's not ENTIRELY clear that she disappeared on her run/walk between BFs and mom's house. I also doubt that she had a "typical" jogging path between BFs and Moms...as far as I can discern, her staying there and having to get to mom's on foot wasn't necessarily a common occurrence. There's also the hints toward doing homework "late into the night" , although I don't know that this has been confirmed in by LE or and MSM sources.

<modsnipped- baiting>
I don’t know if it would violate TOS posting it though since it’s 100% speculation on my part. <modsnipped>
I have 2 potential theories apart from stranger abduction... which I pray is not the case.

1) Mollie was a psych major that seemingly had a lot of compassion for those struggling with mental illness. Maybe during her run or after her run, someone in need contacted her or showed up where she was. They could have been suicidal/claimed to be suicidal, and she may have gone with them willingly in an attempt to help. If this is the case, I pray this person shows the same compassion Mollie showed and ends this.

2) Could the family possibly have received any sort of ransom? LE may or may not know about this. Maybe some family members know and others do not? But it would explain the extreme reward and the family's focus on it. I would explain why it was announced at just 2k... to show the kidnapper that they were working towards getting the money. I know this is far-fetched... but it was just a thought.
What happens when you put those two ideas together?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tabitha Darden 3