Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #20

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If Mollie willingly got into a car with someone she knew, then ALL of her friends and acquaintances need to think back to that night. Was someone missing? Did they come home very late that night? Were they acting strange in any way? Did they miss work the next day or come in late? Someone knows something. All it takes is for one person to call in the one tip that breaks this case wide open. I just hope that they aren't afraid to come forward IF they do know anything. This person had to be someone she knew well, otherwise she wouldn't have gotten into the car with them. LE needs to look at everyone from her work, school, and church - male AND female!
Agreed! Perhaps this person is married and their spouse either wants to protect them or is scared to death of them. Both are logical. There was a case here where I live where a girl went missing and it turned out it was the trusted neighbor! He and his wife were both friends of hers, they attended the same church, they house sat for her and her husband when they would leave town. And one morning she went missing and never showed up for work (just like Mollie's case) and one thing that caused him to be a POI is the fact that his wife came forward and said he was acting completely off. He made up some extremely fabricated story about being mugged by a group of "thugs" that day....just really odd behavior. And sure enough, he was guilty of murder. He knew her schedule and came outside early in the morning to ask her for a ride and she trusted him because she knew him so well. On the drive, he pulled a gun on her and needless to say, she did not survive. My point is, Mollie's case is beginning to look and feel very similar to me....

I keep looking at the route she took running that night and where she was spotted. I feel that there should be more points West to complete the circle, unless she doubled back. Almost looks like something happened west of the points she was seen at. JMO.

Thanks @Tricia and Mods for running a tight ship here and making this the best crime forum on the internet, which respects not only victims’ rights, but others’ as well.

-I’m not brown nosing. I spend my time HERE and not on FB, etc for a reason. Please know that all your work is appreciated by many, and that this forum is very important to so many of us.

Oh, Magz! I've missed you so much! Great to see you as you on the threads, as you are the spirit of WS for me.

Scenario to consider if she did indeed get into a car with someone (or go into someone’s home, garage etc,, and especially considering she was out to run and not get a lift home)—-she apparently suffered from asthma (exercise asthma) so she could have had a moment where she needed to rest or stop running. She also could have tripped and hurt a knee, ankle etc. I know this to be true because I’ve done it and had to limp to the nearest store for assistance. I question myself though why she wouldn’t call family for assistance so maybe not a valid scenario.

So did she or did she not buy the ingredients for the dessert she was making. If she didnt is it possible that she asked someone for a ride (since she shared cars with brother and didnt have a car that day) and on th eway to the store she was like let me text my mom and the driver panick and threw her fitbit out thw window.

Another question, many have post that the abducter threw the fitbit and cellphone purposely near WC property but I thought it was NOT found that the location is based on data recover not the actual fitbit or cell

I wish they could check every single home between bf house and mom house.

And this is exactly what I find scary. As much as everyone wants results are we really willing to give up all and every civil liberties and kick in doors any time anything happens anywhere? This is a really bad idea, even on a "voluntary" basis.

So did she or did she not buy the ingredients for the dessert she was making. If she didnt is it possible that she asked someone for a ride (since she shared cars with brother and didnt have a car that day) and on th eway to the store she was like let me text my mom and the driver panick and threw her fitbit out thw window.

Another question, many have post that the abducter threw the fitbit and cellphone purposely near WC property but I thought it was NOT found that the location is based on data recover not the actual fitbit or cell

My understanding is she had a text conversation with her mother and her mother was to pick up the ingredients.
AFAIK, nothing was found on the properties searched,... AFAIK

Fantastic post and a belated Welcome! Seems really well thought out. Unlike what I'll post below as some notes on my impressions thinking out loud, off all you sleuthers great post.

For me, the things that stands out the most, now that we know much more about Mollie, considering we have a better idea since yesterday the loop she may have taken on her jog, is how well planned this may have been.

The perp may know Brooklyn very well and how not be noticed, especially at night.
The perp may have struck with either intrusive or natural awareness of her habits, thus able to create or take advantage of a window in time when Mollie would not be missed.
If that is true, then why go through all this trouble to end her life?
I think the trigger for this may have been the feeling of losing her or access to Mollie, or not having a chance with her after the wedding trip.
The perps sense of owning Mollie by whatever lurking habits they had may have been extremely challenged by the idea of her flying away and returning committed, so a plan may have formed over time, was maybe even tested. Like she ran into this person before on her jogs, maybe chatted in a friendly way.
A well planned perp would perhaps not leave her initial reaction to chance.
Did Mollie ever say she ran into an unexpected acquaintance during her jogs?
If this is true, then the perp may have resources, may be very technically adept at covering their internet tracks, as Otto mentioned, an IT pro on some level, who can make it seem she did homework that night, sent a snap chat, planned distractions, able to cover their tracks online.
If this is true, then the time window that was taken advantage of was in part to confuse the search and get away.
If any of this is true, could it being summer and the perp not being noticed in any way mean they too are on summer vacation, thought to be away?
Sorry for the mess above, just wanted to get it down, it is probably all wrong.
Great post.Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I feel the same as you except for the IT pro level person. I believe this person left a small SM presence.

Her mother had already picked up the ingredients for the dessert.

So where did she encounter this known person? If the theory is in a small town people see everything, they see known people as well as strangers interacting with or near someone who has now been missing for three weeks. Notice no one is reporting 'Ya, I saw her chatting with a guy in a baseball hat at Casey's', or whatever.

I don't think she wanted or needed a ride. I've always thought she was in an area where a perfect storm of sufficient isolation and the absence of other people was very convenient for someone. Could be wrong, but I think the member who posted earlier this morning about her likely having been at a farther point on her jog, and the fact that no one saw her on a return probably best explains how she was taken. And I think if someone got her at the house, they had an invisible car or they transported themselves and her because, again, if something would have been noticed, it surely would have been a car driving around her street and parked long enough to abduct or lure her.[/QUOTE

I share your thoughts about what MIGHT have happened to Mollie..IMO

Last edited:
FWIW - animals (pets) are like humans and are creatures of habit, feeding times, people/voice recognition, et al.

I've left my pet alone (a cat) on many a weekend and upon returning home have noticed not as much food or water was consumed as normal.

My conclusion - take one out of their normal routine - and they act differently.

Thus - those dogs may not have eaten or drank as much as normal and therefore making it harder to discern how long it was since their food and water was replenished!

Agreed, but -- what defines a stranger?

Anecdote time: a few years ago a pipeline was built near my area. Some of the workers were on the job for months. One man in particular I recall because he was attractive and obviously bright, and regularly came into the library (where I met him). I never knew him well but after the first few conversations I wouldn't have considered him a stranger.

I actively considered offering him to park his trailer in my empty lot next door to my home. I may have actually given him a ride (or ridden with him) out to an old dump site several miles from town, where people sometimes find old bottles and other collectibles. I definitely trusted the guy at that level. And yet, I had known him for maybe a few weeks or a month or two at the most?

It only takes a few conversations to create a feeling of connection and trust at that basic level, not committing your life to the person but certainly willing to get in a car to help or for a seemingly-innocuous reason. Maybe this is only a rural thing but it's definitely a thing.

So I think we need to look at the area in between the stark black and white of "trusted friends" vs "scary strangers".

And, the people who are dangerous predators instinctively know and target those of us who are more innocent, helpful, and/or vulnerable. It is like they can spot us a mile away. It is a very uncomfortable feeling and I am actually suspicious of people who are too friendly. Sad... It just takes knowing one narcisist and you will recognize that sinking feeling. Honestly some people are predators!
JMO

IMHO, the people in the community prefer to believe that Mollie was taken by a stranger, not one of their own. They don't want to start suspecting people that they have come to know and trust. They want it to be the bogeyman from out of town, not one of their neighbors. They don't want to call in a tip on the guy down the street who was out until dawn that night. However, in a small town, the proportion of strangers to locals must be pretty small. Brooklyn is not a tourist town, and outside of regular deliveries, most of the people who were in town that night live there. Moooo

Perfect post explaining exactly what happens when a high profile crime comes to a small town.

Just one question.

Is it possible to be so obsessed with a person that you would abduct them and no one that knows you would pick up on that?
Would it be possible to keep a sick obsession THAT private?
Wouldn't friends notice that you speak of this person often, watch this person?

I am not sure about an obsession thing yet.

JMO
Possibly a mainly quiet obsession over a number of years ?

That EX FBI profiler has no more info than we do. Their opinion is merely a guess.
I wouldn't be so quick to discount their opinion. They are educated in their profession and have likely worked with many, many cases and are experts in their field. They are also privy to information (not necessarily this case, but perhaps certain statistics and info as a whole) being part of a government organization. This isn't just some WS taking guesses, this is an ex FBI profiler we are speaking of. I don't think just anyone could get that position.

Last edited:
I know! I have used Google street view to get a feel for the town many times. Although it's a small town, there's a lot of land to cover, and I'm guessing it's mostly private property.
Yes! Lots of rolling hills covered with farmland, mostly cornfields, and dotted with a few barns here and there. It gets really desolate outside of town and quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauriedries23456!