Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #20

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope we hear the wonderful news Mollie is found. I have company coming in today and won't be able to follow as closely I am afraid. Mollie and the men and women looking for her will be on my mind, in my prayers as they are every day since I heard of her disappearance.

https://www.legis.iowa.gov/docs/ico/chapter/694.pdf

There is something in the Missing Person statutes (694.10.2c) about IA Dept of Public Safety which says

"c. Provide specialized training to law enforcement officers, in conjunction with the law enforcement academy, to enable the officers to more efficiently handle the tracking of missing persons and unidentified bodies on the local level."

So in IA there is no collaborative specialized training after the academy involving neighboring counties, State agencies, Federal agencies required?

Anyone know the specifics as to who at the STATE Dept of Safety trained the officers in Poweshiek county? What is this "specialized" training? Most LE have to re-certify - is missing person training part of the re certification for anyone who works at the Poweshiek Sheriff's office?

Just me continuing to wonder - with every day that passes I can't help it.

Maybe she did go willingly and the situation is now too complicated for her to handle. Hopefully, she can call her parents and get her life back on track.

This would be so awesome if it were true, but I doubt it. She has no means of buying food/renting hotel room. Nothing. People have simply walked away from their former lives in the past, but in today's world, it would be impossible not to be tracked in some way. This case is driving me absolutely crazy! Not one breadcrumb to follow.

I remember at the first presser, when the IA Public Safety guy (or Omaha FBI dude) said they were “still getting to know Mollie” that really caught my attention. Have never heard anything remotely like that in a missing persons case, at best, they will use the terms voluntary disappearance or danger to themselves.
It seems like there is an undercurrent of things unsaid in the interviews and it hurts my heart. IDC if it’s even a quasi-voluntary disappearance gone bad, or plain old voluntary disappearance. Her family just needs answers and i desperately want that for them.

This would be so awesome if it were true, but I doubt it. She has no means of buying food/renting hotel room. Nothing. People have simply walked away from their former lives in the past, but in today's world, it would be impossible not to be tracked in some way. This case is driving me absolutely crazy! Not one breadcrumb to follow.
I actually think it’s not as difficult as we would think, burner phone, bought identification...not saying i think that happened here, but it happens

I am disappointed that the presser was canceled again. Not sure what reasons they have, but I hope they will divulge a little more info on Monday.
Praying Mollie will be found before the presser!

I think we just forget how annoyed we all are after each presser. There’s nothing but the reward amount.

I noticed a question by PommyMommy in last night's thread and the thread was closed, so to quote:

"BBM:

<modsnipped>

The video was recorded July 17 and posted on Snapchat by OR, who described herself as Mollie’s co-worker and friend.

Mollie Tibbetts video shows her acting ‘totally normal’ the day before she vanished, friend says"

I read someone totally different posted that video. See the KCCI news report here:
New video shows what Mollie Tibbetts was doing day before she was last seen
  • OR recorded and posted the video. (From the 1st article)
  • Fellow camp counselor, JR, posted the video (From the 2nd article)

All I can think, if local LE is not being kept up to spped (which seems unlikely to me) is that have some complex electronic trail they are trying to decipher and local LE would not be a help in that. But I am not sure I believe it. I do believe, however, that family would be kept in the dark.

I am not at all sure they have any idea what happened. If someone she had never communicated with took her, there won’t be a trail of any kind.

New here and been following along for several days now. Not sure why this case drew me in, I'm usually not one to follow something like this to this extent. Smart conversations and insights here - but also some to me shocking opinions regarding personal freedom and tracking of things and people.
My theory, for what it's worth, at this point is that authorities have no clue what happened and that this is not executed well, but rather amateurish. Especially seeing how witnesses are apparently intimidated seems off. And I'm surprised that people here find it normal that a witness comes forward and basically has their house searched just for the heck of it? Is this conducted by the FBI or local police?

Welcome to WS, Gobble. Thank you for joining and for chipping in. Great first post. I hope you continue to pitch in.

I know what you mean, but after reading about all the bad stuff that happens to women, men and children as they are harmed and/or go missing, our notions of privacy may be skewed.

It's a given that internet companies gain great benefit from their capacity to gain information on all our wants, needs, travails and joys. Their calculus to define and respect that privacy seems fungible and way too self-serving still. I hope in situations like this they don't showboat their respect for privacy and cause delays when it comes to helping find people.

For LE to eliminate suspicion of a witness, like the good gentleman who came forward with information about Mollie jogging past his house around 8 pm, before he provides public information, seems wise.

That poor man will be haunted by the sight of Mollie jogging past his house for the rest of his life, possibly, if she does not return alive, through no fault in anything he did. It won't be the 15 minute respectful search of his house that bothers him, I imagine. I recall our dear late great Foxfire with the same look in his eye as he spoke of what he witnessed.

It's possible, since LE knew of this witness since the first week, that his speaking to media now was not haphazard. I found it was very generous and brave of him to be public.

Last edited:
Thank you pommy mommy for checking. I swear the pinned tweet was not pinned at 11:40-11:45pm. I checked three times before posting about it. But as you noted, it’s now there again. Did anyone else see that it was missing? The wayback time machine website didn’t have it archived and I didn’t screen shot but it was briefly not on her page last night. That said, I dont want to lead us off into a non productive avenue. I just know that it was missing from my view at 11:40-11:45pm last night.

It's always been there. There are two places that tweets appear on Twitter. There is a 'Tweets' section, where all tweets the person generates/retweets appear, along with pinned tweets, and Tweets and Replies, where all your @mention tweeting ('tagging') and interacting in conversations that flow from that appear. You may have been looking at both places and not realizing it.

(This portion is transcribed from the video and not included in the text of the article.)

"Authorities have been extremely tight-lipped in this investigation. I spoke to someone in local law enforcement yesterday who says local law enforcement is basically being kept in the dark from the lead agencies, which is the FBI and the Iowa Department of Criminal Investigation, and we expect to get our weekly update from those lead agencies on Friday [today]."

Note: Their "weekly update" is apart from the press conference that's been re-scheduled for Monday.

Mollie Tibbetts likely went off in car with someone she knew, says FBI ex-profiler
So does this mean there will be an update today from FBI and Iowa Department of Criminal Investigation? And, the local LEO will have their presser Monday? Maybe they will reveal something important today, if that's the case.

Hello. I am new here. First I want to say this is an amazing site, the moderators and long time members do an amazing job! I am so impressed. I am not sure this has been mentioned because I have not been able to keep up with every thread but I think the person or persons involved may have been know to MT and knew the BF, brother and fiance were out of town and someone that would have known how loose her dinner plans were with her mother. I feel like they would have known she might not have been noticed missing for a good bit of time. If the BF was home and she went for a jog, he would have been curious about an hour and a half when she did not return. Not leaving much time for the person to do what they planned on doing. Of course a stranger would not care how much time but I find it too coincidental. Of course, I do not have any detective experience at all and this is JMO but I think it is someone close as in wide circle of known people or someone from the town.
I hope I did not break any rules as I read them thoroughly several times the past couple days!

I definitely feel a narrowing of facts. But I feel like there’s still so much room in that narrowing. There’s so many theories within logical theories. I go back and forth between thinking she left willingly to understanding that there ARE cases where girls just vanish and are never found. We have to remind ourselves that that is a reality we live in. There are girls that have never been found. And while it’s ok to have wishful thinking the logical thinking is always there. I just hope that the family finds peace in whatever the outcome is. I wonder if this is ok to ask...but have there been any ruling out of educators she was in contact with past teachers at the university?

(This portion is from the text, and is <10%.)

"The night Iowa student Mollie Tibbetts went missing, she likely left her boyfriend’s home with someone she knew. To have a complete stranger to come into a small town like this, someone would have come forward and mentioned that they’ve seen this person,” Mary Ellen O’Toole, a former FBI profiler and director of the forensic sciences program at George Mason University told Fox News. “She was likely not kidnapped. She either got into the car of someone she knew or had a relationship with, or it was someone who had a non-threatening demeanor.”

Mollie Tibbetts likely went off in car with someone she knew, says FBI ex-profiler
Honestly, I’ve lost so much faith in the FBI. It’s not what it used to be back in the day. Terrorist and school shootings could have been prevented after FBI investigated but did nothing saying these people were not threats after numerous warnings by people, sm postings reported over and over for instance Nikolas Cruz, Elliot Roger and the Florida Bar shooter, San Bernardino terrorist attack. Also, all the FBI political corruption. I’m sorry I’ve lost trust in this organization.

(This portion is from the text, and is <10%.)

"The night Iowa student Mollie Tibbetts went missing, she likely left her boyfriend’s home with someone she knew. To have a complete stranger to come into a small town like this, someone would have come forward and mentioned that they’ve seen this person,” Mary Ellen O’Toole, a former FBI profiler and director of the forensic sciences program at George Mason University told Fox News. “She was likely not kidnapped. She either got into the car of someone she knew or had a relationship with, or it was someone who had a non-threatening demeanor.”

Hasn't RT been saying that. Over and over in every PC

So is FBI just following along because the know nothing or do they know and that's what it is.

Do we know for sure she left with no money? She could’ve had cash even though she didn’t take her wallet. I’m sure if she had pulled money out of an account that would’ve been made public or maybe not. But also it being a small town maybe she was paid in cash where she works. Or she could’ve been piggy banking? Saving money on the side?

One would assume that LE has interviewed the wind farm construction HR to check for workforce absences, recent resignations or firings, medical leaves, or atypical behaviors. Maybe they have batched some criminal histories. No accusations here of any sort, this is just solid routine baseline SOP. Per the attached 2017 county hosted map, seems some of that project's eastern boundary could overlay part of the search area. Don't know where on the map any construction is underway or how large the workforce is. Leaving that for the locals to fill in. Doubting the few bed and breakfasts around Montezuma could accommodate the crews unless crews are primarily local and not transient. (FWW - I like construction workers, my son is a union steamfitter.) Map is posted as a resource, nothing more.

http://poweshiekcounty.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/5-Figure-3-Wind-Turbine-Overview-C.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kagguk