Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #20

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reiterating my point that I and other members find such discussions of personal experiences valuable and important. We also should be learning here from each other. I want women here who normally might not think about such things think about such things. Especially younger ladies who are on their phones, earbuds, etc with minimal awareness of their surroundings.
Excellent point, Margarita25, and let's also encourage males to "think about such things," as they comprise more than three-quarters of murder victims in the US, and about 80 percent of murder victims worldwide.
Data link is posted below, but here's an anecdotal tidbit that falls within the "personal experience" category you noted in your post: In my life, I've had a grand total of 4 close calls, namely situations in which someone tried to do grave harm to me (assault or deadly violence). My husband is my age, yet he has had more than 20 such encounters, many of which took place when he was in his late teens and early 20s.
Young guys might be at risk for other kinds of assault than women typically face, but data shows that young males are exposed to violent crimes at much greater rates than females. All of which goes to my point (as an extension of yours): Everyone should learn from everyone else about how to stay safe, and that goes double for younger males and females, who are at greater risk of violent crime.
Data link:
Homicide statistics by gender - Wikipedia
Thanks. I enjoy your posts.

Could it be that MT wasn't the intended victim, and that it was her soon to be sister-in-law who was the intended target? She was the homeowner and was about to be married. Perhaps it was a case of mistaken identity? Maybe a jealous woman who assumed the woman at the house was who she was looking for, not realizing she was away that night and another woman was staying there.
Years ago when I had recently purchased my first house, my car windshield was smashed overnight by someone who thought the previous homeowner was fooling around with his wife and was still living there.
I see what you are saying, but you would think there would be some sort of evidence of a scuffle. I do not believe the crime happened at the house. Now, if the brothers girlfriend is also an avid jogger, I could see this as a scenario. I honestly just don’t feel like it’s the case though. Wouldn’t you just stop, when you realized it was MT and not your intended target? MOO

I am not sure it is le who set the reward terms...thought it was family?
From the beginning, Crime Stoppers offered their $1,000 reward as they do in nearly all missing cases, and later matched by the Elec co-op for total of $2,000. Jasper Construction Owner Steve Rhoads approached Laura Calderwood to raise a larger "find Mollie fund," and the legal details proved more difficult then they were aware, and they (Family) partnered with non-profit Crime Stoppers to administer their reward. The legals and donation agreement are uploaded on the Media link for anyone interested. Also, reward in excess of $325,000 is for the "SAFE RETURN" of Mollie.

You have to remember, these are eyewitness accounts and they are all giving estimates...did the first guy see her at exactly 7:30? Most likely not...probably between 7:15 and 7:45. Same goes for all the other sightings...you have to assume 15 minutes at least on either side. It's not like they saw Mollie and looked at their watch...they were trying to remember after the fact what time it was. So, there is really not any sense in getting too hung up on the points along her jogging path and the times, if you ask me.
Too me it makes a difference between she made it back safe vs she didn’t. If the sighting on Des Moines was after 8pm I can assume she was heading towards her moms. The map provided said the sighting on Pershing was at 7:30 which would make 730 towards the funeral home Pershing was the first street she ran on, not Des Moines.

Another attempted abduction in Iowa...

STORM LAKE, Iowa - The Storm Lake Police Department is searching for a greenish-blue truck that was involved in an attempted abduction around 12:10 p.m. on Friday.

The truck is an older model, two-door pickup with flared rear-wheel wells.

Police say the vehicle was being driven by a 40 to 60 year old white man wearing a green shirt with short dark hair on the sides and lighter long hair on the top; police say it may be a hair piece. The suspect allegedly tried to order a 14-year-old girl into his truck on Sunrise Park Road.

The victim screamed and ran away without being harmed.

Storm Lake Police Searching For Truck Reported In Attempted Aduction

I don't get it. If investigators could reveal that information to DC, why couldn't they reveal it to the public in their PC?

In a previous discussion, it was proposed that the info may have been shared by local LE (intentionally or not) before the FBI became involved. Small town, LE knows residents well, maybe hard to not share?

I'm not sure what to think. I initially considered it was an intentional leak and that the information may or may not be true. MOO.

Let's say that the reward is claimed, and Mollie reappears. Is she (or anyone) under any obligation to explain where she's been? Since the reward will be paid anonymously, is there a chance we will never know what happened...?

I see what you are saying, but you would think there would be some sort of evidence of a scuffle. I do not believe the crime happened at the house. Now, if the brothers girlfriend is also an avid jogger, I could see this as a scenario. I honestly just don’t feel like it’s the case though. Wouldn’t you just stop, when you realized it was MT and not your intended target? MOO
Maybe. But if she hired someone or confronted Mollie outside with a gun or something and alluded to her boyfriend, Mollie might not have know who she wasn't talking about HER boyfriend, if you follow me.

Her family is clearly not being kept in the loop, imo,if LE has a suspect, as shown by her dad trying the state fair in what was be desperation. This rules out to me any idea many had that his theory last week was based on real info...

However it could have happened outside the house what if people were there lurking around the perimeter of the house as she returns from her jog?

I have a lot to catch up on and I'm new here, so I'm going to repost something probably a million people have posted. Sex traffic angle? Agree/Disagree? I feel like the FBI/local authorities would share more of a timeline if it was, but at the same time maybe they don't want to scare people??
Highly, highly unlikely. Sex trafficking victims tend to be runaways, undocumented migrants, drug users, homeless, and sex workers. Mollie doesn’t fit the profile of one of these far more likely categories.

Let's say that the reward is claimed, and Mollie reappears. Is she (or anyone) under any obligation to explain where she's been? Since the reward will be paid anonymously, is there a chance we will never know what happened...?

How would that work? You mean if someone sees her and reports it?

Excellent point, Margarita25, and let's also encourage males to "think about such things," as they comprise more than three-quarters of murder victims in the US, and about 80 percent of murder victims worldwide.
Data link is posted below, but here's an anecdotal tidbit that falls within the "personal experience" category you noted in your post: In my life, I've had a grand total of 4 close calls, namely situations in which someone tried to do grave harm to me (assault or deadly violence). My husband is my age, yet he has had more than 20 such encounters, many of which took place when he was in his late teens and early 20s.
Young guys might be at risk for other kinds of assault than women typically face, but data shows that young males are exposed to violent crimes at much greater rates than females. All of which goes to my point (as an extension of yours): Everyone should learn from everyone else about how to stay safe, and that goes double for younger males and females, who are at greater risk of violent crime.
Data link:
Homicide statistics by gender - Wikipedia
Thanks. I enjoy your posts.
Very interesting, thanks AriannaColorado!!!

Reiterating my point that I and other members find such discussions of personal experiences valuable and important. We also should be learning here from each other. I want women here who normally might not think about such things think about such things. Especially younger ladies who are on their phones, earbuds, etc with minimal awareness of their surroundings.
I too appreciate you sharing your story. I feel I was careless with the awareness stuff in my 20s. Not now. Ten years ago I was driving north on 93 from Boston to Stowe, VT. A van pulled up to me on the highway, rolled down window, and told me my left tire was wobbling and low. They gestured me to pull off at an exit. I did, drive to a convenience store. They parked away in a rock lot area. I parked in front of store door. They approached, chatted—was a blur at the time, and offered me a ride to a service station. I said no thanks, they insisted, I quickly said I had to get going and went into the store. Came out and they left. I drove to a Jiffy Lube and they said nothing was wrong with tire. I got spooked and drove back home (not to VT). It was a guy and a girl. The girl probably made me more comfortable.
ALWAYS have your antenna up!

Last edited:
Mollie typically put her phone in an armband when she jogged. It may have taken the perpetrator a while to get it away from her.

I'm aware.. My scenario was MT's last communication was to/from the perp on her phone... Maybe that's how he knew she was on a jog, and the route she was on to locate her? The perp was the LAST to communicate with her through private messages... then he abducts her.. phone is with her at first then, he takes the phone from her and turns it off, then destroys it... The perp had plenty of time to do this because several hours passed before LE was notified then LE had to open the case etc. THEN measures were taken to ping her phone and Fitbit data wasn't even available for at least 2 weeks after the case was opened.

Too much time passed between her abduction, calling LE and then LE taking the case seriously and getting others involved. MT was an adult, not a child abduction who would get more urgent attention. Sadly, too much time had passed.[/QUOTE]

In a previous discussion, it was proposed that the info may have been shared by local LE (intentionally or not) before the FBI became involved. Small town, LE knows residents well, maybe hard to not share?

I'm not sure what to think. I initially considered it was an intentional leak and that the information may or may not be true. MOO.

Great explanation. Thank you!

Her family is clearly not being kept in the loop, imo,if LE has a suspect, as shown by her dad trying the state fair in what was be desperation. This rules out to me any idea many had that his theory last week was based on real info...
Good point cluci :cat:, unleeesss he still thinks this can be productive in some way, maybe just in terms of spreading general awareness and possibly/hopefully reaching someone who may know something about someone else...gosh hope that made sense. Ow my head.....meaning, say for example, a roommate, of family member of the perp, witness, etc who may have noticed something unusual...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member