Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #20

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I posted this earlier today......

I am convinced she was taken during her run.

It all comes back to the Fitbit...

- When Tibbetts' Fitbit pinged at a hog farm about 10 miles southeast of the house in Brooklyn, IA, where she was last seen, police searched the area but found nothing, Mortved(Mitch Mortvedt, spokesperson for the Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation) said. Source: Everything We Know About The Disappearance Of University Of Iowa Student Mollie Tibbetts

So they got a Fitbit "ping" at the hog farm. In order for the Fitbit to "ping", it was using GPS via her phone. In normal mode, Fitbits do not use GPS. The only way for it to get and use GPS information is for it to be put into an activity mode (running, biking swimming, etc). Mollie's Fitbit's (Alta HR) only activity mode is called MobileRun, which is activated through the Fitbit app on her phone. MobileRun is how one tracks their run, by providing heart rate, distance, and time overlayed on the GPS route data. When one finishes their run, they stop MobileRun(through the Fitbit app on the phone), which then shows the results and allows one to compare previous runs. So Mollie's Fitbit was using MobileRun when it "pinged" at or near the hog farm.

Putting all this together... Mollie activated MobileRun at the beginning of her run but never stopped MobileRun. Combine this with her missing workout outfit, missing headphones, dogs in the basement, and an undisturbed house. I think it is almost certain Mollie was taken on her run. It also explains how LE is confident in their timeline.

Her boyfriend said Mollie used her fitbit to track her sleep habits. Is that a different setting on fitbit besides MobileRun? Thanks!

For me, one of the issues has been that there is a lot of "no sleuthing!" warnings, then some people don't want personal experience or certain theories mentioned, then we're reminded to stay OT. I think the problem is there has been no development in her case, and nothing is being shared by authorities. All we are left with is conjecture and discussing what might have happened.

You can sleuth anything you want in Conversations. :p

Thanks Parks. From all I have read, it sounds to me like she was living at school during the school year and then had come home for the summer to be near family and DJ. And was living with Mom but staying with him occasionally also. You are correct in that it could be interpreted either way. In the end, it doesn't matter because they just want Mollie to be alive and well. Since we haven't heard from her family for a couple of days, I am wondering if they found her and know/arrested the perp and are giving family time alone until Monday to deal with what will be a craziness of news.

I was thinking the same. Maybe they have information that they are letting the family absorbs before they have a PC.

I keep wishing she took the dogs with her for the run.
Presumably she did take them for a walk, too. I am not up to speed on when she arrived for her pet/house sitting gig, but that's a lot of flat-footing it around. Walks dogs, goes back. Then goes out again to jog to mom's purportedly. Then goes back to the J/H residence. Does homework reportedly. Then some posters say she must have left again.

I asked on another thread how long she had been a "runner" because she does not have the usual physique of a daily runner/jogger. Which most don't do it daily, in any case.
But, they are usually very thin and defined stringy cut muscles in arms and legs.
MT is by no means overweight, but she is not like a track and field enthusiast type, either, is she? I wondered if anyone had mentioned how long she had been jogging daily.

I agree, but if she communicated through Instagram DM or Snapchat it wouldn't be traceable through electronic evidence.

My response was in response to why hasn't the phone been found? I know from my own experience when phones cannot be located when the victim is usually deceased, it's because the perp/drug dealer doesn't want LE tracking them down or leaving any electronic evidence with the body. MT could have taken pictures of the perp recently with her phone, we will never know until we locate the phone and see what clues it reveals.

Instagram DMs could possibly be acquired through Instagram. Snapchat could possibly provide friends list and anyone she had streaks with. Find my iPhone would have last known location and iCloud automatically has all photos/videos. I’m sure LE already has access to all.

The same thing was actually mentioned in Abby’s and Libby’s case...which brought to the table the idea that IF someone knows something, they could be protecting them, for whatever personal reason. Not saying that’s the case, just saying that is what we talked about in the girls’ case.

Oh gosh. That case still eats me up. I’m beyond frustrated.

Help me here please.

Established is ping gps places fitbit near farm ...
... but info is relayed via synched phone and as such phones themselves could possibly ping any number of towers, not necessarily closest based on number of variables (system load/usage, line of sight, tower maintenance, atmospheric conditions, etc).
... ping places fitbit near farm but we're not clear why and time (if still with MT or if became seperated)
... ping potentially result from running near or driving near up to point phone was no longer on/near/not disabled

Hence possible MT allowed fitbit to remain or prompted it to be in route tracking mode.

Furthermore, no word has been given fitbit or phone have been confirmed located.

Somewhat redundant given the many posts but perhaps consolidating thoughts known and supposed.

Yes. The phone was connected to a cell tower, but that only gives a very rough estimate of location. The Fitbit gps location info (sent through the phone through the cell tower)would be very precise. It would also provide the exact time.

Presumably she did take them for a walk, too. I am not up to speed on when she arrived for her pet/house sitting gig, but that's a lot of flat-footing it around. Walks dogs, goes back. Then goes out again to jog to mom's purportedly. Then goes back to the J/H residence. Does homework reportedly. Then some posters say she must have left again.

I asked on another thread how long she had been a "runner" because she does not have the usual physique of a daily runner/jogger. Which most don't do it daily, in any case.
But, they are usually very thin and defined stringy cut muscles in arms and legs.
MT is by no means overweight, but she is not like a track and field enthusiast type, either, is she? I wondered if anyone had mentioned how long she had been jogging daily.
She actually was on track and field. It seemed like the 1,500 meter dash was her event.

You have to remember, these are eyewitness accounts and they are all giving estimates...did the first guy see her at exactly 7:30? Most likely not...probably between 7:15 and 7:45. Same goes for all the other sightings...you have to assume 15 minutes at least on either side. It's not like they saw Mollie and looked at their watch...they were trying to remember after the fact what time it was. So, there is really not any sense in getting too hung up on the points along her jogging path and the times, if you ask me.
The DM Register article that interviewed DC is interesting because he explains that LE told him based on the fitbit info that she ran past his house. I think its a TOS violation to post his address here but its easy to find. I still don't know what to make of this article and interview with DC but if its true I think it gives a bit more clarity to the jogging route.

<mod changed name to initials>

Last edited by a moderator:
Many of us have followed cases here on WS for many years, and with each other. Sometimes, the grief and tension can be eased by a relevant but off topic anecdote, about a similar incident, or similar crime. This usually happens more during the long, empty waiting periods between more evidence being revealed.

It it very easy to just roll and scroll if one is not interested in a particular post. Takes about a hundredth of a second to do so...JMO MOO

Katydid23!!! So great to see your posts again. Big hug.

Oh, yeah. I agree, of course.

So few even have rewards posted...and then, if lucky $1000 from Crimestoppers, there should not be this huge variance on the value of missing people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper