Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #21

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am sure this falls under the Family and Medical Leave Act we have here in the US. (Known as FMLA) FMLA qualifies people for up to 12 weeks unpaid time off and still holds their job. This may be combined with paid vacation days, sick leave, personal days- all at an employers discretion. Some places also have paid time off banks where employees can donate their unused paid time off for others in crisis to use if needed.

I’d say they can still safely take a few more months off work to search, which is heartbreaking if it takes this long to find her.

I do think Mondays press conference is going to most likely be a big announcement, such as an arrest. MOO they are waiting on a dna test confirmation and may possibly announce an arrest.

FMLA applies to all public agencies, all public and private elementary and secondary schools, and companies with 50 or more employees
FMLA (Family & Medical Leave) | United States Department of Labor

I do hope that under the circumstances, the family can take off as much time as they need. Some smaller sized employers do allow time off without pay. May compassion rule.

If someone showed up after her jog and said something along the lines of Hey Mollie,I'm so and so from such and such, remember me? You need to come with me, right now because of this emergency, fill in the blank. She may have just jumped in without a moment's hesitation.

Another thought, I don't think this was a crime of passion. Too clean. I usually associate crimes of passion with stabbings or other messy outcomes.
I'm not so sure. Suffocation, choking, strangling could be a crime of passion without much mess. My theory is that she willingly left with someone known to her, who knew she was alone. I am not convinced the plan was to harm her but once feelings weren't reciprocated that may have been misunderstood previously, a crime of passion may have occurred. All speculation and opinion .

"No running items..located". That's important. A person not returning from exercise on the street suggests something nefarious in town or just outside.

Stalker? I would think one could pick out a stalker in a small town. Unless you are not paying any attention.

Drive-by? Maybe, but she was in shape. Likely could out-sprint any old guy chasing her. She looks like she can handle herself with a swift kick.

Trucker? Like you don't see that coming.

Someone known to her? Pick you up for a soda? Let's talk? Something funny going on and we need to discuss? Now that sounds like the sort of 'vanish without a trace, no struggle' episode.

Hit and run? Only if the perp were really stupid and on probation.
I am not a runner but when I come in after being out, I drop everything on the dining room table or on end table. Purse, keys, etc. I would think you would lay that stuff down and grab water.

Last edited:
Take this for what it's worth, as it's just an anecdote, but I live in a city surrounded by cornfields, rural areas, and rural highways. Part of my drive to work every day is on the 55 MPH rural highway. In warmer months, I would say on average once every week or every other week, I see someone running on one of these roads (different people--not the same person). They run against traffic and in the gravel area just off the road before you get to the grass/ditch.

I always assume they are people who live out in the country and want to run from home rather than drive into town. IDK, like I said this is a personal anecdote and doesn't necessarily mean anything about where Mollie would or would not have run, but I have seen it happen before and somewhat regularly. This is always daylight/daytime.

Likewise. I see more bikers than runners. But they are there -- college kids, and high schoolers training.

I tell them: "When I feel like exercising I lie down until the feeling goes away". Seriously it can be dangerous when the sun blinds a driver or it is at night.

MAYBE this someone that knew her was watching her all along (stalking) on social media. Maybe she already knew him (I personally think she knew him and trusted him). I am thinking that she knew him because she was possibly seen in HIS house when that Snapchat went through to her boyfriend (when he couldn't recognize the room she was in). Maybe all along he was following and stalking her on social media so he KNEW she going to be alone that day and that her boyfriend and everyone was out of town. Or maybe he knew some of her friends through friends and found out that way. Since she was on social media a lot, maybe like us he was keeping track on social media of her posting and her "LIKES" and knew where she was at every minute. If we can do it, he could have done that too.
Snipped and bolded by me -
I keep thinking about the circumstance that she was alone in the house, but this was the SECOND night she was alone. So I was wondering why this happened the second night instead of the night before?
Assuming it was someone close to her, someone she worked with, or someone connected to her workplace - they would have known about the field trip and thought her disappearance wouldn't be noticed until late that next evening since everyone would be at the fair. I don't know if we know who called her BF to tell him she wasn't at work - just that it was one of her coworkers who called, something the perp probably wouldn't have expected to happen.
Just some stray thoughts...

I'm not so sure. Suffocation, choking, strangling could be a crime of passion without much mess. My theory is that she willingly left with someone known to her, who knew she was alone. I am not convinced the plan was to harm her but once feelings weren't reciprocated that may have been misunderstood previously, a crime of passion may have occurred. All speculation and opinion .
I posted a few threads back....I think this was a crime of emotion, but not passion.

After watching the video of him, I'm inclined to believe him. The point that made a difference for me is that he wasn't thinking about Mollie, he was thinking about the fact that sometimes a young woman ran by his house, and that stopped.

I think it's quite possible that she wears leggings (yoga pants) sometimes and shorts other times. I think it's very possible that he mixed up what she was wearing that day.

I can not find link, but in an earlier interview there was a quote about running clothes she could possibly be wearing and that was running tights or shorts. IMO, running tights could be called running capris.

I keep thinking about the circumstance that she was alone in the house, but this was the SECOND night she was alone. So I was wondering why this happened the second night instead of the night before?
Assuming it was someone close to her, someone she worked with, or someone connected to her workplace - they would have known about the field trip and thought her disappearance wouldn't be noticed until late that next evening since everyone would be at the fair. I don't know if we know who called her BF to tell him she wasn't at work - just that it was one of her coworkers who called, something the perp probably wouldn't have expected to happen.
I thought it was the first night. I think DJ was gone two nights but that his brother didn’t leave until day of. I could be wrong.

That is an interesting detail. Friends and family would know this information. Co-workers would know.

There is something about that video shot on the day before that really bothers me. Something....

She went missing on a night that all THREE roommates were gone. Not a coincidence IMO. I still say this is someone who knew her and knew they would all be out of the house.

And as I said before, no running items have been located. She never made it back from her run.

Keeping it simple.

Yup, She was picked up by someone she knew on her run. I don't read the "if's" and "maybe's". It is very simple. Now who it was and what happened is what is scary. Poor woman.

Early Thursday morning but

Also, although the absence of a struggle is very telling, if a perpetrator threatened her with a gun and told her to put the dogs somewhere, I have a feeling she would have been compliant and done whatever he told her to do. That is the only other situation in which there may not have been signs of a struggle.
Sorry i didnt realize when above comment was written, I am skipping all over since I just got on, so this may already have
So, what can be discussed?
One individual, a farmer, was discussed for dozens and dozens of pages; but another possibility cannot?
I don't get it.
Apparently there are ENDLESS things to discuss since I cannot keep up with discussions even though I have been reading from day one for six hours a day.

IMOO!

I also believe this is someone she knew even extended family (not accusing anyone) just saying the police have stated the public is no in danger and her father said "thinks someone is in over their head".
Sounds to me like he is trying to make it easy for the person because he is someone they know, but do not know where they have taken her , hope they keep her alive, and trying to coax them into contacting the family.
All his appearances seem very controlled as if he was trying to make someone understand they can work this out---just do not kill her.
Yep, that is what I believe is the case--someone (family or friend) as the situation must be handled with kid gloves .

Lets say you go missing and you are taken by someone close. Your family would try and understand they may have taken you without realizing the ramifications of such action. IMO your family , because they know them and care about them, want to go easy because they also know this person is troubled. Make sense?

Expanding on my theory of the alleged person who approached her at the library as a person who is "safe", wouldn't said person ask her for some sort of ID to verify that she was not the lost/missing child? That person could ask her where she was from and could also be semi-local, maybe from one of the nearby areas and told her that. So she wouldn't immediately think it was weird to run into them when they abducted her by approaching her under the guise of being a "safe" person.

Yup, She was picked up by someone she knew on her run. I don't read the "if's" and "maybe's". It is very simple. Now who it was and what happened is what is scary. Poor woman.
That would be the simplest scenario. Unfortunately, we have information that could indicate she made it home. No information has been confirmed or denied by LE. Hence, not much simple about it given what we know (and don't). Moo.

fwiw, my thoughts on the pink coat tweet:

regardless of this is was a real concern from a citizen or our POI looking to get closer to mollie, once the cop left, mollie probably highlighted to her bf the weirdest/funniest of his questions & approach to her, which was that someone would think she looked 10 years old. doesnt meant she wasnt asked other questions like "is there a child with you here/is it their coat, where did you get that coat etc"

now if this was our POI (which seems unlikely to me but i agree both the lack of report and coincidence she goes missing less than a year later is weird), i can see our POI trying to open a conversation about her coat - it would be something a cop may have basic questions about if they were "investigating something" and depending on how the convo went, it could naturally segue into a brief convo about clothing, etc.

however, why would he even mention a wandering/potentially missing 10 year old: it makes the convo alarming and takes focus away from him and mollie bonding. if this person was using this as an opportunity to talk to mollie AND was in uniform, there are many other ways/brief questions he could approach her about that are more light-hearted & specific to mollie, therefore yielding better results for him (not that mollie would go along with it).

so, if this was our POI i am guessing we are looking someone who is socially awkward, at least around women. or, its not our POI and he was legit asking questions about a girl in a pink coat.

do we know if this library was at university of iowa or brooklyn?

I believe it important to remind all that day care/camps for children have some solid protocols mandating background checks for all administrators, employees, etc. including Mollie. Furthermore, any school receiving government subsidies require multi-level criminal background checks pursuant to CCDBG Act of 2014. Enough said...

She mentioned lit homework and the date is smack dap in the semester, so Iowa city and IU is where I was searching for info from.
fwiw, my thoughts on the pink coat tweet:

regardless of this is was a real concern from a citizen or our POI looking to get closer to mollie, once the cop left, mollie probably highlighted to her bf the weirdest/funniest of his questions & approach to her, which was that someone would think she looked 10 years old. doesnt meant she wasnt asked other questions like "is there a child with you here/is it their coat, where did you get that coat etc"

now if this was our POI (which seems unlikely to me but i agree both the lack of report and coincidence she goes missing less than a year later is weird), i can see our POI trying to open a conversation about her coat - it would be something a cop may have basic questions about if they were "investigating something" and depending on how the convo went, it could naturally segue into a brief convo about clothing, etc.

however, why would he even mention a wandering/potentially missing 10 year old: it makes the convo alarming and takes focus away from him and mollie bonding. if this person was using this as an opportunity to talk to mollie AND was in uniform, there are many other ways/brief questions he could approach her about that are more light-hearted & specific to mollie, therefore yielding better results for him (not that mollie would go along with it).

so, if this was our POI i am guessing we are looking someone who is socially awkward, at least around women. or, its not our POI and he was legit asking questions about a girl in a pink coat.

do we know if this library was at university of iowa or brooklyn?
it

I've read through almost the entire 21 threads about MT. There are a few things that seem to be perpetuated through the postings that I question as I haven't seen press releases with these facts Forgive me if I've missed it, but I'm going to ask. I ask as a runner and someone with experiences with cases in NY, PA, and FL.

1. Was MT actually known to run with earbuds in?

2. Was she a member of RunnersWorld where running routes, times, and distances are posted?

3. Was she training for a specific running event as she was an "avid runner"?

4. What did her weekly running routine look like? Was it composed of a long run and shorter daily runs? What was her average running speed?

5. Was her FitBit linked to mapmyrun?

6. Was she known to stick to road running or maybe take a trail if one became available along the way?

7. If she was a "friend" on Facebook, we're her workout posts detailed?

8. Has Google been contacted to see if her boyfriends address was search for Maps locally? They have the ability to see this information and also the ESN of any cell phone in the area to cross reference.

She seems serious about her running as in someone who jogs in place at a red light, so I don't think she would stop in the middle of a workout to "chat". If it were me and someone had to talk or needed guidance, I would tell them to meet me at X in Xminutes when I'm done with my run...
No change of clothes, wouldn't need to go back to the BF house and if she did it might just be to grab a drink and walk outside to meet the person ...
It would be dark at this time so walking and talking and the POI takes her to where his car is and offers her a ride home since it's dark and she's a lone female... After a talk like that one would be comfortable taking a short ride in most cases...

Just my thoughts ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member