Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #27

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, and that it why it is strange,IF this was an abduction, why no one would have heard a single thing. If she did scream, it would have had to have happened in a secluded area with no houses or businesses around for a scream not to have been heard. Her whole family has said she is a fighter, so I would think even if it happened quickly, at least she would have screamed if this was a stranger. I can hear kids screaming half a mile a way where I live, and you can usually tell a serious scream from that of kids fooling around or playing.

Because she knew them; the Perp was a know and lured her on a ruse.
My opinion is that the Perp is hiding in plain site, not some roaming maniac. A local who kept maniac well hidden, but people always thought something was a little "off", or it would show up when drunk, etc.

Amateur speculation and opinion.

I don't think curiouscricket was focusing on the call, more that their scenerio seems possible to them based on the fact that her dad seems firmly to believe she is alive and that someone may be in over their head, and may be sending a message to this person.
Exactly. We prob. all know the grim statistics. However, the father is positive. He stays in close contact with his children and knows what is happening in their lives. So, since he has floated this theory and knows a lot more about the situation than any of us, I'm attempting to support him. There are enough examples in the past few years to believe he MAY be exactly right.

IMOO I believe the person they are looking for lives in Brooklyn, know Mollie or an extended family member spooked by the person who did this. Perhaps he /they are involved in drugs and known as a pretty dangerous ****. I also believe this could be close to the Holly Bobo case, in that people in town afraid to talk for fear of retribution.

It is safe to say LE holds all the cards on information about Mollie and known connections to any darker side of Brooklyn. Who is to say that Mollie did not cross paths in a confrontational way with one of these people. Perhaps she saw something and they were out to shut her up.

Due to the fact LE believes the rest of the community is not in danger , they probably know this is Personal.
They have received hundreds of tips and came up with a map of the areas of possible importance. They need to identify a vehicle seen at one of these places around the time of
Mollies abduction--thus car wash, gas station. This does not have to be a strange vehicle just one that can place their suspect in the area.
I honestly believe that after receiving as many tips as they have they have one or more persons of interest....and who is to say it was only one person.
This is just my theory as one of many posted. Since I am not privy to anything LE is thinking Lets hope they get that one piece of the puzzle needed to search that vehicle and home of their suspect. --------------or

It is connected to someone trolling the I80 corridor. Mollies disappearance could lead to solving multiple cases. If Mollie is dead , her death is not in vain if it can bring this monster to justice.

So much for my 2 cents! Fell free to punch holes in this line of thinking, that is why we are here Right?

Very good points and ideas....many possibilities for sure

Phones ping thru the closest cell tower, garmin (and fitbits?) ping thru GPS to satellites.
Phones ping to the tower with the strongest signal, which is not necessarily the closest tower. Fitbits communicate with the Fitbit app on a phone or other device using Bluetooth technology. This is to the best of my knowledge.

THIS! I took a self defense class about 10 years ago and probably need a refresher. But very embarrassed to admit I bought a canister of pepper spray and left it sealed in the package for 10 years until two days ago. Don’t ask me why, denial maybe, or maybe the fear of it accidentally going off lol. I did a test spray and then read up on pepper spray and it apparently goes bad in the 2-4 yr range after manufacturer. I immediately ordered more. Ladies, check your pepper spray and order more if it’s old. Anyways, this all happened two days ago, thanks to Mollie and reading about other cases on WS. You never know.

OT safety tips

My wife has pepper spray too and dont feel bad because it took me forever to convince her to open the package and keep it handy in either her purse or her glove box of the vehicle. Preferably one in each.

Wanted to caution that some of them have a really small volume so be careful with doing any "test spraying" because you want to be sure to have a full canister if ever needed.

I would recommend buying two of the same variety if you want to test fire one to be sure you know how it works. Then have the other unused one ready to go and know how it works.

Also if ever test firing one be sure the wind is going in the same direction as you are spraying. You dont want the wind to take the stuff back into yourself.

OT safety tips

My wife has pepper spray too and dont feel bad because it took me forever to convince her to open the package and keep it handy in either her purse or her glove box of the vehicle. Preferably one in each.

Wanted to caution that some of them have a really small volume so be careful with doing any "test spraying" because you want to be sure to have a full canister if ever needed.

I would recommend buying two of the same variety if you want to test fire one to be sure you know how it works. Then have the other unused one ready to go and know how it works.

Also if ever test firing one be sure the wind is going in the same direction as you are spraying. You dont want the wind to take the stuff back into yourself.

Also, don't accidentally set it off in the car.... You're welcome ...

So it is NOT true that LE could have been canvassing the neighborhood as a result of the burglary the night before? Regardless of TYPE of vehicle. I would think it would be standard procedure.

Of course LE might have been canvasing the neighborhood but we've seen no indication they were doing so. My post was in reference to the nonexistent black SUV (and T's instructions).

Last edited:
I'm beginning to really focus in on the traffic that may come into Brooklyn from the TA Truckstop. It has the usual "Country Pride" restaurant in it that is certainly pretty good eating on the road.
But there are other places to eat in Brooklyn Iowa. Casey's with the reggae DJ. Seaton's with the wide variety of alcohol.

Casey's is a convenience store, Seaton's is a grocery store. Not the sort of places a hungry traveler is going to leave the interstate for.

I have always felt that she made it back from her run, and that whoever did this followed her home, or was inside once she got back. Her bf probably wouldn’t have passed out without hearing from her since around 7:30-8:30 while on a run. He got the snap (around 10pm) and that was sufficient for him since before falling asleep. Most couples wouldn’t not talk at all for hours and right before bed.

Hello WebSleuths! Like many of you, I am concerned about MT and have found myself on these boards to try to reason what could have happened and perhaps even come up with a plausible scenario that could help lead LE to a perp. Thanks to so many of you for sharing all of these theories and ideas. The concern and prayers do make a difference in these cases, I think.

As a young (20yo) woman I escaped from a serial killer in the West and recently wrote a novel about the experience, using extensive research about his other cases/victims once I found out who the man was (the perp is now on death row in Wyoming if anyone is interested in researching him - Dale Wayne Eaton - in addition, a very similar story to mine can be found here: Robert Ben Rhoades: The Truck Stop Killer). Eaton was an always-prepared opportunist who worked in a general area for dozens of years, growing bolder and more sophisticated with each snatch. He had family, kids, friends even if he was considered a bit odd in his community. He would sometimes hold women for a period of time before disposing of their remains.

After the exhaustive work I did in researching Eaton's victims and similar crimes, I still find myself drawn to cases of young women disappearing in hopes of seeing patterns. The MT case stands out because a) she was not a drifter and she is definitely missed; b) the FBI presence for her case; and c) the gut feeling that the resolution is right in front of LE and the community but somehow but just out of reach.

At present, my (A) theory is MT was snatched by someone who knew her or was familiar with her, even having just seen her jogging before. She likely did not know him. I think she was knocked out after returning to a home - outside either her mother's or her BF's home, and then she was transported to a strange place within the city limits of Brooklyn or very nearby, some underground or secure shed or enclosure where at first the person, who I think is a younger to middle-aged disturbed male, intended to simply assault her. I think he realized he could not let her go and unfortunately continued assaulting her for days or perhaps even weeks until she either become so weak she is barely alive or has tragically perished.

My (B) theory is that the MT disappearance is somehow connected to the Lyric and Elizabeth case from nearby Evansdale (Lyric Cook and Elizabeth Collins) and this is why the FBI is there in such force as they may have a serial on their hands. This could tie into the (A) theory as well.

The (C) theory is a hit and run with massive injuries and then an attempt to cover this up. In my area, a person was killed on the highway and their body so badly hit (by two vehicles) that not much remained. The local authorities got involved after someone found part of a jaw at the car wash. The case took about a year to solve but they got the perp. The small-town LE, in this case, were very open with the public about the information they had.

I think the idea that there is evidence of a perp vehicle at the Truck Stop, one that was also seen in town could be valid but I'm unsure why LE would not release the make/model if so. The attempted abduction in Miner, Missouri is of interest as well, especially as desperate killers will not stop until they find a victim, but why this perp would choose such a small town with one way in/out would be in question. More likely it seems the perp was at least familiar with the Brooklyn area.

***I have a question as to why on the first page of these threads it notes that MT was last seen in denim jeans and a red t-shirt on 7/19 when official flyers note she was last seen jogging in workout clothes on 7/18? Also, was the person who saw the black SUV in town discredited? This would fit with the Miner, MO vehicle description.

Sorry for the long post. I've read almost every thread here on this case and also on Lyric and Elizabeth. As the mom of a sweet and bright daughter, I feel for the families of these disappeared girls and hope with every tragedy we can teach our kids to not just be wary and vigilant but also SPEAK UP when they notice something that makes them feel uneasy. Unfortunately, it's a predatory universe and sometimes even the best defense is of little use with a deranged individual.

Please forgive any unintentional lack of etiquette! This is my first post in the forums. Thank you.
SO GLAD YOU'RE HERE.. What an amazing post. Incredibly informative and inciteful. Your input is valuable as you have had first hand experience and have accumulated so much knowledge as a result. Thank you.

Snipped.

I agree with you re. the asthma. It's a red herring.

I don't agree that time was "wasted" on WC. If a digital footprint led to his property, then he was well worth investigating, regardless of whether he turns out to be the perp. Do you remember Ward Weaver, who murdered two young girls in the Pacific Northwest? He was a neighbor to both girls and was very glib in TV interviews, giving his "theories" about the girls' disappearances.

And yes, most people are fairly trusting--Mollie probably was, too. Someone may have used a ruse to get Mollie at a disadvantage.

The case involving Ward Weaver was one of the first scenarios I thought of when MT's disappearance was announced (Kyron Horman is the other). The man who can worm his way into the lives of others, and gain trust among many is a very scary type of predator. (I met him on numerous occasions- my sister-in-law babysat for his girlfriend at the time). I never (ever) would have suspected him in the beginning. But as time passed, and his interviews to the press increased, my hinky-meter began to rise.

This is one of the reasons I believe MT's disappearance involves someone she knew and trusted. Someone she never suspected to harm her in any way, but this person had (or began to have) ulterior motives. I hope I am wrong, and Mollie is found safe and sound. But at this point, my opinion is leaning towards the "someone may have caused her harm" statement made by LE.

All of this is my opinion, of course.

Ok,

Here is my analysis of the current status of the investigation.

I was initially hopeful that the areas of interest might correlate to some hard evidence that LE were keeping from the public. Unfortunately, after thoroughly reviewing the "finding Mollie" site and creating a layered map of the areas of interest in relation to all of addresses of known stakeholders in MT's life, addresses of witnesses, addresses of interviewees, addresses registered sex offenders in the area, and locations of cell phone towers around Brooklyn, Iowa, I now believe that LE are really struggling to put any cohesive theory together about what happened to MT.

I don't believe they have any new clues or information that we don't already know. Based on my analysis, I am concerned that they either have not received the Fitbit, phone, and laptop data or they have received it and have been unable to conclude anything useful based on it.

I also think that their areas of interest are based purely on tips rather than a theory they may be piecing together from location data. This is substantiated by the fact that their identified areas of interest are a place where Mollie definitely was the night she disappeared (the area near DJs house) and two stereotypical places that a stereotypical perpetrator MIGHT visit shortly before or after committing a crime (a truck stop and a car wash).

I believe the final two areas of interest which LE have not been forthcoming about are thus likely based purely on tips as well.

That said, I was able to locate the names and addresses for all of the property owners residing within the two mystery areas of interest, but I have not had the opportunity to run background checks on them for past criminal history yet. If I find anything of value I will let you know. However, based on satellite imaging of the mystery areas of interest, my initial suspicion is that the reason the areas are of interest to LE is less about the residents than it is about the numerous bodies of water within the boundaries of those specific land parcels. I imagine they may suspect that MTs body might be hidden there.

Overall, I am a bit disappointed in what seems to be an inability by LE to piece together MTs tech footprint metadata into a cohesive and useful picture of what took place the evening of her disappearance. Perhaps, though, I am just spoiled by where I live. I am sure here in California, where all children are gps-chipped at birth, MT would have been located by now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lizakind