Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #27

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This type of thing has happened in the past and LE simply says that “we will not charge you for anything we discover that is unrelated to the Mollie Tibbetts case.” Usually this type of tactic involves car trunks during road block searches.

It's also something a lawyer could quietly arrange for you. If you have relevant information that could help solve a crime like this, no DA is going to risk losing that information to get a misdemeanor possession arrest or something else like that. DAs have prosecutorial discretion.

I think someone might have mentioned this before, but has there ever been any mention of a best girlfriend??? To me, that seems odd! Usually girls have a “BFF” that knows them inside and out. A girlfriend would know if she had any other guys that were stalking her or that liked her. A girlfriend would be able to tell LE if Mollie had acted at all strange.

I still think this was a random abduction, but I just feel like it’s so strange that the main people talking about Mollie are the dad and the boyfriend....no best girlfriend who hung out with her???? Was Mollie more of a loner? Or did I miss something?

We have all been talking about whether Mollie may still be alive, held captive somewhere. We don’t know who took her yet, but I think we can guess at the likely outcome of this case based on why she was taken:

1 - Random abducter, possible serial killer, gets the “urge”. Goes trolling for a victim of opportunity. Finds Mollie jogging alone, abducts her, may sexually assault her, and kills her.

2 - Neighbor/acquaintance , has misread Mollie, thinks she likes him. She gets in a vehicle with him and he tries to act on his belief that Mollie would be open to a pass/kiss/fondling. Mollie fights him, he becomes angry and kills her.

3 - Neighbor/acquaintance, has secret crush on Mollie. Wants her for himself. Prepares a place to bring her and keep her. She may be alive.
Yes, I like the idea of a much older neighbor who watches her go running in her sports bra and shorts every night.... Someone with a lurid imagination who feels she " asking for it" and from there it spirals down. JMO...

I totally agree...but it could have just been a cooling off of things, or even just a busy day. People get tired of relationships all the time but then of course they don’t actually do anything violent and they don’t run away from home. It’s possible the boyfriend was out with friends having a good time, and just glanced at the Snapchat briefly because he was busy, which would explain why he barely noticed it.

Of course, to me, just sending a head shot selfie seemed strange in and of itself, but maybe that’s just a generation gap or a personality thing. I’m not as cute as Mollie, so I don’t take a lot of head shots. Haha.

It was a snapchat. Very common and majority of the under 30 crowd use this to connect with friends.

Yes, I like the idea of a much older neighbor who watches her go running in her sports bra and shorts every night.... Someone with a lurid imagination who feels she " asking for it" and from there it spirals down. JMO...

IMHO this sounds more like the latest summer flick rather than what happens in real life....

Women go running in sports bras and shorts by the tens of thousands per day and it is very rare that a neighbor harbors and then acts on fantasies about them.

Serial killers, however, and other perps are known to target women running alone on trails on a regular basis. It’s a well-known danger for women to be alone on a jogging path that has some isolated areas.

with this 5 hour window...it means she never went to bed and since the dogs were in the basement...she actually never made it back from her run. Correct?

seems like it would be a smaller time frame....more like 2 to 3 hours...hmmm

I can't shake the fact that Mollie and her BF hadn't spoken that day...they didn't touch base after work...and when she sent him the Instagram, he didn't even respond! I find that odd. Even when he wasn't our of town, when I was that age my boyfriend and I spoke every night before bed. Not accusing anyone, just thinking maybe the relationship wasn't asgood as it is portrayed.

I thought they did chat earlier then there was a pause. I'm thinking the pause was when she might have told him she was going for her run or going to study.
Remember DJ, the boyfriend works construction so I'm pretty sure he's pretty tired at the end of the day.

If a person was missing in my neighborhood I would allow the authorities to search anything they wanted to. It's not like under these circumstance they're going to say ....oh no.....i found some pot...

I wouldn’t. Not without probable cause and a search warrant. Why? On principle. We can’t start kicking in doors just because nobody can’t figure out what’s going on. For anything like this to happen you’d need extraordinary circumstances, like immediate danger, terrorism, etc. The case of the Boston bomber comes to mind and even that was questionable. Putting an entire city and metrolpoitan area on lockdown was unreasonable.

Plus, I don’t think it would do much in this case. Chances are this was somebody close or at least known. Maybe LE already knows what happened minus a body.
Even with a body and plenty of punlically known evidence these things can take time. We had a case here in MA where a local girl disappeared. It was known who she was with. And the guy’s van had a removed carpet. Pretty sure there was plenty of blood also. And after a while the body parts washed ashore. Even then it took forever before the guy was even arrested.

I have a sense of humor, but I guess I am too involved with this particular case. I prefer to stay focused on what is important. I apologize if I responded, without light heartedness. But it has been about four weeks now, and the frustration is being felt by most of us. I worked in LE for over 30 years, so I am sensitive to criticism of their on-going investigation. Maybe I should "lighten up"?
MANY of us feel the same. You don't have to "lighten up", if you don't want to.

JMO
LE has said they're confident with their timeline. So I think the have enough info to put it together. I think we can quitt worrying about the red shirt. LE never confirmed that. Mollie's mom said she saw the shirt and it's not hers. I've marked that off. With the 5-10 timeline I'm pretty confident we don't have to worry about any thing we've been trying to figure out after that time. Whatever happened to Mollie happened by 10:00 pm.

This is my thoughts..
1 Mollie's brother dropped her off from work around 5:30. He needed to use the car that evening. Mollie would pick it up later in the evening. MOO
2 The first thing she did was let the dogs outside for a few minutes. Fixed their food and let them back in. After they ate she probably let them back out for awhile.
3 She may have fixed a drink and a snack to have while she worked on homework.
4 After doing that she probably changed into her running gear, texted with her mom and snap chatted with DJ and sent him a pic.
5 She let the dogs back in and put them in the basement because she was leaving for her run and to visit her mom and either pick up the car and come back or maybe she was going to spend the night at mom's. Her red shirts were at mom's.
5 She then left for her run. All JMO

I don't think she was back in DJ's house again.
MOO

My theory on this is that I've always felt that she planned to be gone longer than her run, which has been reported by various articles as usually being around 45 mins long...I figure maybe she planned to go to her mom's for dinner or something where she wouldn't be home for awhile...after all, how much trouble could the dogs get in that short amount of time? But--this is just my opinion as a dog owner myself...I wouldn't lock my dog up if I was going to be gone an hour or two, but if I planned on being gone a few hours--I might...I completely recognize that just because that's what I'd do, it might not be what MT would do though...
I kind of thought that the basement was just their area. If they had nice things on the main floor or were renovating or something.
Or she was working on homework and stuff before bed and kept them down there until then.

New memeber here. I’ve been sleuthing for years, but had no idea it was a thing until I stumbled upon Websleuths a few weeks ago. You guys bring a level of comfort and I appreciate it.

Just saw that VP Mike Pence posted a video on twitter and commented on MT. Interesting? If you go to his twitter page you will see.

I hope I am allowed to say that. I know you can’t report things from social media so I certainly don’t want to violate any TOS.

I also believe that if LE has a POI with any kind of footprint such as a possible car on surveillance, wouldn’t they plead to the public to help find the person of said car? I just don’t believe they have any valuable leads from collecting footage and/or receipts without needing the public’s help in identifying. It seems as if LE typically releases that info to the public, for example, ATM footage, vehicle footage, even footage of the POI themselves. IMO
IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #27

Welcome FSUSeminoles. Nice to have you here with us and comfortable on WS. Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us. Video from the "Register" above.

So pleased to see more people will be thinking of what they may know or have seen and Mollie

Last edited by a moderator:
I think someone might have mentioned this before, but has there ever been any mention of a best girlfriend??? To me, that seems odd! Usually girls have a “BFF” that knows them inside and out. A girlfriend would know if she had any other guys that were stalking her or that liked her. A girlfriend would be able to tell LE if Mollie had acted at all strange.

I still think this was a random abduction, but I just feel like it’s so strange that the main people talking about Mollie are the dad and the boyfriend....no best girlfriend who hung out with her???? Was Mollie more of a loner? Or did I miss something?

Her and her bff went to college together and were going to share an apartment this school year. Iirc, she sent Mollie a text every morning and did not get a response the morning after the jog.

JMO
I am just posting this to better help me with the time surrounding Mollie going missing. This is obviously the date of July 19th, the day she did not show up for her work assignment which was supposed to begin at 8am I believe. The brother, JT did send her a text also that morning, see MSM article below. It has been said to have been around 7:30 am.
An Evening Run, a Snapchat Selfie, Then Nothing: How Student's Boyfriend Learned She Vanished
Speaking with WOI, Jack said he first learned Tibbetts had vanished on Thursday afternoon, when one of her coworkers called and said she “had not called into work that day and she hadn’t showed up.” He’d texted her that morning but got no response, according to KCRG.

“And then I looked at the messages and she hadn’t opened or read the message,” he recalled to WOI. “And then I started getting in contact with her friends and family, saying, ‘Have you seen her or heard from her?’ And they all said the same thing: ‘No, we haven’t heard from her since yesterday.’ ”

Tibbetts’ family reported her missing on Thursday

JULY 26TH
Mollie Tibbetts' mom: 'You won't see me giving up hope'
"My son, Scott, he gave me a call about 5:15 p.m. saying, 'Mom, did you know Mollie didn't go to work?' At which point I said, 'I will be right home," Calderwood said.

August 1st
Mollie Tibbetts' boyfriend, brothers, father urge witnesses to 'come forward' in exclusive interviews
Brother Jake said that on Thursday, July 19, the day Mollie was reported missing to police, he'd texted her in the morning to see if she wanted to borrow a car they shared so she could go to work at Grinnell Regional Medical Center.

She didn't respond.

“I didn’t think much about it at the time, but now I think about it a lot," he told Fox News on Wednesday. "About how weird it was not for her to text back."

“As the day went on, it certainly became evident to me something had happened," he said.
Strange, that he says as the day went on... did Mollies work, brothers, boyfriend, all know Mollie was "absent, missing" and the mother only finds out at 5:30? Did her job or what other circumstances prevented the others from reaching mom? She was immediately concerned by the sounds of it. As any mother would be.
JMO

I am one of those who believes Mollie could be being held alive, of course with time and LE press conferences my confidence wanes, sadly (reality does set in). However, I am one who also seriously considers the FBI presence there aggressive and concerning, more so than if the perp was a Brooklynite, or someone known to Mollie and familiar in the community. I just hope that LE is able to bring Mollie home, safe and soon! One thing I am also pretty sure of is that this LE is playing a mighty tough game of cat and mouse, they do have a strategy IMO. Are they doing all this posturing for an accident or a crime of stalking or passion?

IMO they are giving it all they got! Thank you LE and prayers out to the community and family~

I kind of thought that the basement was just their area. If they had nice things on the main floor or were renovating or something.
Or she was working on homework and stuff before bed and kept them down there until then.

It was stated way back in a previous thread that the dogs were always out with them when they were at home. Too many to go back and try to find now.

If he knew she was alone overnight...why take her elsewhere? Plenty of women have been found murdered in their homes when alone...Alison Freeman (sp ?) not too long ago. It took over a year to get a DNA match of a complete stranger when he committed another crime or it came up as a match in system.

I remember when Holly first went missing...a fair number of people had the theory that some “mountain man” (no offense) wanted a wife so he came and took her to live in the woods with him...this carried on for a while. Anyway...we all know the horrible truth of her murder. I understand the need to seek alternatives where there could be a “happy ending”...though even if she is alive, thinking what could be happening to her is almost as bad as the worst possible outcome, to me.

Jmo

What you are describing from the HB case is a combination of the 'denial' and 'bargaining' stages of the five stages of the grieving process. The rest of the stages being 'anger', 'grief', and 'acceptance'. The family and the town of Brooklyn have been in these first two stages over the past month. The belief that MT is still alive is a form of denial, and the massive ransom for her safe return is a form of bargaining. And, yes, I do think that family members, and others, have also been grieving. The steps don't have to occur in a specific order, and stages do overlap.

In MOO, I think that when the family reaches the anger stage is the point where you will see schism with LE, and the possibility of PI's being brought in. I think that some of the emotions seen in MT's boyfriend is part of the anger stage, and this would be expected, especially in a man of his age. Acceptance for this family, and town, may be a long way down the road, if ever. God bless them all, and MT too!

We have all been talking about whether Mollie may still be alive, held captive somewhere. We don’t know who took her yet, but I think we can guess at the likely outcome of this case based on why she was taken:

1 - Random abducter, possible serial killer, gets the “urge”. Goes trolling for a victim of opportunity. Finds Mollie jogging alone, abducts her, may sexually assault her, and kills her.

2 - Neighbor/acquaintance , has misread Mollie, thinks she likes him. She gets in a vehicle with him and he tries to act on his belief that Mollie would be open to a pass/kiss/fondling. Mollie fights him, he becomes angry and kills her.

3 - Neighbor/acquaintance, has secret crush on Mollie. Wants her for himself. Prepares a place to bring her and keep her. She may be alive.

#1 is what I'm thinking.

I wondered the same, and posted somewhere on this. She seemed to interact with girlfriends on SM, but I haven’t seen any interviews or quotes in articles from female friends. Perhaps they are skittish over the perceived or likely threat of the perpetrator?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abberline vs Edmund Reid