Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #28

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's been stated that everything is accounted for other than the oft-mentioned items she would have taken on a run.

In this part of the country it's not unusual to leave the keys in the car when it's parked at home anyway, so it wouldn't be unusual for them to share a set.

the not locking doors and keys just left in cars is so bizarre to me. im not trying to say it doesn't happen. moo

Also think that the fact that this is a tiny little town really cuts back on social media posts from "residents"

Also, it's entirely possible that her SM accounts are not revealing at all about who may have abducted her, if he or they were strangers and not connected to her at all via SM. She was jogging, she was expected at her moms, time-flexibly, and she disappeared.....

Change of subject matter. Here's something to think about. LE wants to talk to people in certain areas who were there between 5:00 p.m. and 10 p.m. In their list of behavioral changes LE states you may not have been able to get in touch with someone from the evening of 7/18 into the morning hours of 7/19. They don't care about any of those locations after 10 p.m. the night of 7/18, but they are directly implying that events related to the case were indeed happening after 10 p.m. Let's hear some thoughts.
Good thoughts! I'd say it would mean somebody getting home late, acting anxious, cleaning, drinking, etc.

Change of subject matter. Here's something to think about. LE wants to talk to people in certain areas who were there between 5:00 p.m. and 10 p.m. In their list of behavioral changes LE states you may not have been able to get in touch with someone from the evening of 7/18 into the morning hours of 7/19. They don't care about any of those locations after 10 p.m. the night of 7/18, but they are directly implying that events related to the case were indeed happening after 10 p.m. Let's hear some thoughts.
Perhaps they now have information on when the Snapchat was actually sent, or there was activity on or she logged into her U of Iowa account around that time?

Agreed 100% . With all of the agencies involved, the lack of clarification and progress is disturbing at best, and reeks of a much larger problem. In my humble opinion, the FBI realizes that this is a much bigger issue, possibly tied to a much larger string of abductions where digital footprints are nill ( because of the experience of the abductors) , and does not want to cause widespread panic.
Thats what I've always thought since the beginning, when there were so many FBI investigators involved so fast. Fifteen or more from the start but then some said that was normal, which surprised me.

You can text from a different number on your phone. I have an anonymous cell phone and on the phone I have an app set up through Hushmail that generates a different number for all my texts and calls, even voicemail. If you connect to random Wi-Fi, say at McDonald's then it would be nearly impossible to trace.
Annonymous cell phone...why? I'm being nosey. lol!

Good thoughts! I'd say it would mean somebody getting home late, acting anxious, cleaning, drinking, etc.
Or somebody who is divorced and lives alone and has nobody to notice anything different at home, but he might post some things on social media that someone might notice and consider to be strange or possibly related.

Some people have a theory that Mollie planned to go jogging twice on the evening of July 18. I'd like to explore that possibility.

We know that Mollie arrived at the house-sit at 5:30. At 7:30, she went jogging. We know from her mother that she did not jog after dark, and that she typically jogged for 45 minutes.

She left the house at 7:30, and a 45 minute run ends at 8:15. We know that she has to pick up the car at her mom's house, so the question is: why would she return to the house-sit after jogging, and then turn around and jog to her mother's house at 8:30 to hopefully end her run before dark?

I can't see any reason why Mollie would go jogging once to end up at the house-sit and then go jogging again closer to dark to collect the car at her mother's house. How does that make sense for those who think she went jogging twice?
It doesn’t. You are spot on here. I proposed this theory a couple weeks ago, to allow for what I believed to be true at the time, that LE believed she returned home. I no longer believe this to be true. Also, with what we know about Mollie running well before dark, it just doesn’t jibe with this past behavior (it would be around dusk if she did this).

Last edited:
What if there is some truth to ALL of the information?

For example, three witnesses see her jogging - east on W. Pershing, east on E. Pershing, and west on E. 2nd. Maybe the third witness is confusing which day he saw her, but the family said she has three routes that she varies and she's a creature of habit. So, if he has seen her run past his house headed west on multiple occasions, it is possible that's where she went.

This would put her right next to the car wash. There has been a lot of discussion among family members and friends about her going somewhere with someone she knew. What if, as she jogged past the car wash, she saw someone there that she knew. I mean, she's home from college for the summer. She's going to run into all kinds of people (from high school, relatives of her friends, friends of her BF, etc.) that she hasn't seen since Christmas or even earlier. Maybe her FitBit data shows that she stops at the car wash for a while. She catches up with them, "What are you up to these days?" And she explains that she's back in town, staying at BF's house while everybody's gone, working, taking online classes, etc. Maybe she even tells them she has to go after a while because she needs to get to her mom's house for dinner. She continues on her run, and that seems to be the end of it.

Relatives and DCI say way back at the beginning that they know she made it to the house. So, let's say she did. She gets to the house, but what happens next? Well, she's not going to eat because she's going to her mom's. She's not going to take a shower because what's the point if she's now going to walk a mile or so to her mom's. Maybe she heads inside just for a few minutes to drink something, check in on the dogs, maybe use the bathroom.

Now, more than likely, she did homework between the hours of 5:30 and 7:30. When I took an online course, we often had to post on the discussion board at least once a week, AND we had to reply to at least two postings from other classmates. Maybe she posted in the discussion forum before the run, and decides to check real quick to see if someone else posted. Maybe they did, so she posts a couple of quick replies so that this part of the week's homework is done.

And just maybe she wore jeans shorts and a red shirt to work that day. Maybe that's what she was wearing when the brother dropped her off (and of course the police are going to ask the brother right off the bat, "what was she wearing when you last saw her?"). It could be that she plans on showering and changing after dinner, but maybe it's a little bit cooler because there's rain coming, or maybe her sports bra is sweaty and icky looking, so she grabs the red shirt she wore earlier in the day and throws that on over her sports bra. And perhaps she leaves the house wearing the jogging clothes and the red shirt.

The initial searches were of the field between her house and her mom's (behind the high school). They said on the FM FB page that she often walked between the two houses. If that's where they searched, it's probably safe to say that's the way she normally walked. So, maybe she leaves the house and sees the guys (I really feel that there was more than one person involved) from the car wash. Maybe they tell her she should come hang out with them instead since they haven't seen each other in so long. She gets in the car with them and leaves.

It might also be that she went to a house with them, and that's where she took an SC picture and sent it to her BF. And because the 9:45 time keeps coming back again and again, maybe she actually sent it at 9:45. That would explain the cops wanting to know about her in a house at that time and maybe even why they took pictures inside WC's house.

But something happens at the end of the night, and they don't bring her back home.

maus98, some great ideas. I thought of some of those myself. So hard trying to figure out WHAT she did that day.

Pardon me for posting again, but this particular case I think about frequently. Let's say it is a diversion from a medical issue I am facing. I think something really interesting is the selfie that MT took of herself and sent to her boyfriend. You can take a selfie anytime and then forward it at anytime. So..........that being said anyone could forward it from her cell. I am not sure that that is any guarantee that she sent it. Someone said a fitbit had been found some mileage away
from her town. How do you determine who that belongs to if one is found by the way side.

Some people have a theory that Mollie planned to go jogging twice on the evening of July 18. I'd like to explore that possibility.

We know that Mollie arrived at the house-sit at 5:30. At 7:30, she went jogging. We know from her mother that she did not jog after dark, and that she typically jogged for 45 minutes.

She left the house at 7:30, and a 45 minute run ends at 8:15. We know that she has to pick up the car at her mom's house, so the question is: why would she return to the house-sit after jogging, and then turn around and jog to her mother's house at 8:30 to hopefully end her run before dark?

I can't see any reason why Mollie would go jogging once to end up at the house-sit and then go jogging again closer to dark to collect the car at her mother's house. How does that make sense for those who think she went jogging twice?

I don't think she went jogging twice. I think it's a plausible scenario that she jogged Pershing to W. 2nd back to the BF's house (which would take possibly even less than 45 minutes as it's only about 2.5 miles). But let's say it's the full 45 minutes, plus maybe 10 minutes in the house. That would be 8:30. If she were to walk on the roads (and not cut through any fields), that would take less than 20 minutes to walk (it's only one mile). That would put her at her mom's house at 8:50. According to weather.com, the sun set in Brooklyn at 8:45pm on 7/18.

This leads to nothing helpful, I know, but I do believe she was taken off of the street during her run while it was still light. I'm amazed at the brazenness of it. Anyone could have seen it, but apparently no one did.

I agree. I think we tend to over think scenarios many times, when a relatively simple one works and is what happened. Since we don’t know the facts or what the evidence is, we can dream up and write just about any theory with all types of details. I think she was abducted outside between the time she was dropped off from work and, say, 8:30pm-ish. I think the snapchat was sent between 5pm and before the run started. Her phone and Fitbit were either dumped or died (or both). I don’t believe she’s alive. I believe once abducted, she was driven towards the outskirts of Brooklyn and assaulted and killed. Then I think she was dumped or buried on the outskirts of Brooklyn or even more afar. The more afar might be why so many missing people are never found. If there is no reason to look in (fill in the blank), the remains are rarely ever found.

Pardon me for posting again, but this particular case I think about frequently. Let's say it is a diversion from a medical issue I am facing. I think something really interesting is the selfie that MT took of herself and sent to her boyfriend. You can take a selfie anytime and then forward it at anytime. So..........that being said anyone could forward it from her cell. I am not sure that that is any guarantee that she sent it. Someone said a fitbit had been found some mileage away
from her town. How do you determine who that belongs to if one is found by the way side.
Sorry about your medical issues. The only person who would send that message (in an effort to mislead) is someone very close to Mollie.
The Fitbit data could be downloaded, and linked to Mollie definitively. If this is impossible for some reason, it would be DNA tested.

The videos that SharonNeedles posted were helpful to me in considering which areas are most likely. I noticed a stand of trees on one corner of 2nd Street - those stood out to me. The gravel road close to DJ's house stood out to me. And lastly, the area near the high school. I will revisit those videos later and see if I can pick out others.
The gravel road near the house stood out to me, too. Is that the one that goes straight to Grinnell?

Please forgive me if this has already been mentioned because I am finding it impossible to keep up with the rapidly moving threads in this case. I just had a look at the map on the findingmollie.iowa.gov website for the first time and something immediately stood out to me. On the map, in addition to the red dots indicating the areas of interest, there are also markers all over it that are labeled with a letter/number combination (either VXX or FXX). Could these markers have been added by LE -- for their personal use -- to notate the location of pings or the location of a network's tower/satellite/signal (like V meaning Verizon & F meaning FitBit)? This notion may be totally out in left field but is something I immediately considered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member