Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #29

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m not quite sure of State Police and their reach, I do know that FBI has a special child abduction unit (CARD) although Mollie is over 18 they are called in because of the system they have in place. They can jump through the legal hoops much faster when it comes to warrants and subpeaonas in asking for data wiht phonies, servers (they have a cyber unti) and App makers like FitBit.

Exactly. In these budget cut days, which seem to be always in LE, the FBI is in on every case requiring resources beyond basic police work in the city where I live.

I'm there with you. In order for me, personally, to see SK in all of this I'd need to see a clearer MO for comparison's sake. With so little info released, that's just not possible right now. While there ARE more serial killers out there than I am comfortable with, people are much more likely to be killed by someone they know. I have been a true crime ghostwriter (as well as a mystery writer in my own name) for nearly 15 years and in all the cases I wrote about and researched, only one case ended with the person being a victim of a SK. When new cases pop up, however, and discussions get going that seems to be the fallback answer. (Fallback after family involvement, anyway.) Real life isn't all a Criminal Minds episode-which is too bad, in a way, because Garcia would have had the digital footprint stuff wrapped up before the wheels went up.
64.1% of murders are cleared in the U.S. So folks far more intelligent than you and I- writers with imaginations- have their hands up in the air year after year, murder after murder. This comes in mighty handy for any serial killers who are alive and out there if LE can't or won't trace some or many of these murders back to them. If the killers were known to their victims, I want to believe LE, in many cases, simply can't bring enough evidence to court but do, in the end, know who did the murder. because if LE can't figure it out, well....

I keep circling back to her social media being open to anyone, I keep debating the convenience of her home alone that night, which was an unusual situation. I keep going to, as well, what a clean, clean lift off the street that was. Local yokel? Just not seeing it. This comes across as professional. Cue the cows: moomoomoo

Average runner her size would run about a 11 minute mile - so that's over 4 miles. Most runners DON'T BOTHER RUNNING UNLESS IT'S AT LEAST A 5K (3.1 miles).
I think you are right. With her age and running background, I don't see her going over a 12 minute mile even if she slowed down considerably. It definitely wouldn't take her 45 minutes to go 2 miles. I am shorter and didn't start jogging until much later and I could do a 5k in 45 minutes. I think my best time was 39 minutes last year, but I wasn't in the best shape.
I just googled and was able to find this link which I believe shows her pace during her JR year of high school. This would have been a race pace, so she may not have been going this fast when she jogged for recreation. It's also 3 years ago, but it might give an idea.
Williamsburg Invitational

It has been said here that her boyfriend said she was training for a half and that was what I was responding to. My marathon coach has asthma and she has run so many full and half marathons over the years. Asthma can be managed quite well for some who choose to run. I would think if Mollie ran on a high school cross country team that she learned how to manage it quite well and a half marathon wouldn't be a huge deal for her. Most of us who run become quite attached to it and have a hard time giving it up. I started around age 13 and have been running off and on for 40 years.

I suspect that Mollie loved it the way I do, at least it's possible. When you love it you don't care if someone else is faster or has a better runner's body. You just do it because it is a part of you and it makes you feel a certain way. I am certain that I am projecting way too much here, but anyway, I think the main thing for me is that if she was training for a race she would have developed a pattern with her runs that a perp could have easily picked up on. Another thing about the length of her runs as far as training goes, is who knows when the race date was. Many are training for races right now that are not until fall or winter. Due to the heat there are not too many half or fulls this time of year. This would impact how far along she was with her training.

Can you tell me where you saw the boyfriend's statement that she was training for a marathon? I haven't found anything that related to that.

64.1% of murders are cleared in the U.S. So folks far more intelligent than you and I- writers with imaginations- have their hands up in the air year after year, murder after murder. This comes in mighty handy for any serial killers who are alive and out there if LE can't or won't trace some or many of these murders back to them. If the killers were known to their victims, I want to believe LE, in many cases, simply can't bring enough evidence to court but do, in the end, know who did the murder. because if LE can't figure it out, well....

I keep circling back to her social media being open to anyone, I keep debating the convenience of her home alone that night, which was an unusual situation. I keep going to, as well, what a clean, clean lift off the street that was. Local yokel? Just not seeing it. This comes across as professional. Cue the cows: moomoomoo

We don’t know how she ended up missing. IF she got into a car with someone she knows, I doubt they are a professional killer.

It has been said here that her boyfriend said she was training for a half and that was what I was responding to. My marathon coach has asthma and she has run so many full and half marathons over the years. Asthma can be managed quite well for some who choose to run. I would think if Mollie ran on a high school cross country team that she learned how to manage it quite well and a half marathon wouldn't be a huge deal for her. Most of us who run become quite attached to it and have a hard time giving it up. I started around age 13 and have been running off and on for 40 years.

I suspect that Mollie loved it the way I do, at least it's possible. When you love it you don't care if someone else is faster or has a better runner's body. You just do it because it is a part of you and it makes you feel a certain way. I am certain that I am projecting way too much here, but anyway, I think the main thing for me is that if she was training for a race she would have developed a pattern with her runs that a perp could have easily picked up on. Another thing about the length of her runs as far as training goes, is who knows when the race date was. Many are training for races right now that are not until fall or winter. Due to the heat there are not too many half or fulls this time of year. This would impact how far along she was with her training.
Not sure what a half is ( half the amount as a usual marathon, I am assuming) but I had not heard anything about her training for this. I know there was a competition at school she was having trouble with endurance wise, but I don't remember her training for a half marathon. Not sure what this is in reference to. I must have missed that whole discussion.

Absolutely. My point was that there wasn’t this overwhelming number of FBI agents involved (40).

Ha. This was a response to another poster about Criminal Minds. I had one in the box that I was writing to you (a bit more pertinent, mind you), but forgot about it! So half of that last one was your quote and about 5 words of a reply, so I had to go in and Ninja-edit.

No tears or sad posts please. None in regards to my situation---
In January of this year my ex-husband (over 18 yrs divorced) was staying in my home temporarily. He committed suicide.
His phone was accessed by Organized Crime and the Coroner by me guessing his password.
I had a roommate almost complete suicide in May of this year. They did the same with her phone.
They could've got a subpoena, but I would guess Mollie is a rather smart young woman who shares her password with someone/s.
I know I do. Always as well as location.
(yes I do suicide intervention...no reply about that subject needed)
jmho

No one should know your passwords ... Why would LE have any need to read your texts in the case of a suicide...

Ha. This was a response to another poster about Criminal Minds. I had one in the box that I was writing to you (a bit more pertinent, mind you), but forgot about it! So half of that last one was your quote and about 5 words of a reply, so I had to go in and Ninja-edit.
Haaa I noticed after I posted my response.

Not sure what a half is ( half the amount as a usual marathon, I am assuming) but I had not heard anything about her training for this. I know there was a competition at school she was having trouble with endurance wise, but I don't remember her training for a half marathon. Not sure what this is in reference to. I must have missed that whole discussion.

13.1 miles. . . The distance has been made popular by several organizations.

How so? Wondering what's on your mind...

If we assume that the three sightings of her were all correct, then the 7:30pm sighting on Pershing was NOT the last one. However, the FBI missing person’s posting states that the last place she was known to be was on Pershing. So, what if she had looped around? That location is extremely close to DJ’s house and it would make sense for her to be that way. Could it be a missing link in the timeline?

Also, a time-stamped videotape of her running by the general store or car wash, etc would have happened after the initial sighting on Pershing at 7:30 and be considered verifiable. I still feel that there’s more to that point of interest.

Last edited:
We don’t know how she ended up missing. IF she got into a car with someone she knows, I doubt they are a professional killer.
Go back to the recent PC. LE said this could be someone she may have only recently met. If she did indeed cross paths with a dreaded SK she may have been familiar with him, even if only for a very short time. Or he could have grabbed her quick and unnoticed, we just don't know.

I don't see the change to her Facebook?
Can you be more specific?
The post from hope on the 19th still shows the 2 sightings in the comments.
Doesn't sound quite right to me . I would think anytime after 5:30 would be considered early evening, not afternoon. I don't really understand where that is coming from or if it is even reliable that she was seen jogging in the afternoon.

No one should know your passwords ... Why would LE have any need to read your texts in the case of a suicide...
Someone should always have my password.
Believe me. I run the roads all hours of the night and day mostly alone.
And the drugs they overdosed on were fentanyl laced heroin, so they needed the dealers' names and info as quickly as possible as there were many od's in my nice middle-class neighborhood that icy weekend.
And they got what they needed in spades.
And justice was done in the suicide of my ex.

I do wonder if LE has set up some monitoring -- do they have cars staked out on the route(s) Mollie likely ran that day to see who is driving by in the early evening? Or cars staked out near the red dots to see if anyone seems overly curious?

IMO no. No SK is stupid enough to do anything in the same location so soon. Or they feel they will catch him before he strikes again.

It’s not about being stupid enough to kill again. If the cases were connected, or the possibility of a sk was out there, LE would be obligated to warn the public that they need to be more vigilant. Moo

This!! And without makeup, Mollie looks quite young, especially with her hair in braids or ponytails.
True, she looked very young and there have been many comments about that very thing. Anyone who didn't know her could easily mistake her for a teenager.my daughter has 15 year old friends who look older than Mollie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Missnurse09