Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #29

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know some of you are humorously referring to travel, but I wanted to throw out a small detail which probably is NOT relevant...but theoretically could be.

In my state, they have issued new Drivers Licenses that are endorsed to substitute for passports when traveling in the US or US islands and territories. If MT has applied for 1 of these new licenses, she could theoretically have that new one with her and had left her old license and passport behind. I checked and Iowa is implementing the same license and 23% of Iowans have already upgraded. Iowa D.O.T. says get ready for your Real I.D.

I myself do not believe Mollie took off on her own accord. I lean toward acquaintance related disappearance, but over time, if more info came out that suggested there was reason to think she did willingly leave, this could become relevant.

Her fitbit may have ping there. But it does not mean she herself was there. At the time it did ping they may want person to mention what they seen around that time. Not if they seen the girl per say. But seen anyone anything around that time of the ping. Especially vehicles

Absolutely LE is hoping to jog someone's memories of those locations.

You are saying the perp is in possession of Mollies fitbit and phone but not in possession of Mollie. So he abducts Mollie, does whatever horrible thing he does with her, takes her phone and fitbit, discards Mollie, and drives away. The fitbit will provide location and time spent at any one location, whether the perp slowed down to push her out of his vehicle, or stopped for an hour to dig a hole. Any areas where the fitbit went stationary LE has certainly searched. I believe LE highlighted the two areas on 200th St because these are locations where the fitbit was stationary for a certain amount of time. More time spent at a location, more chances for someone to have noticed something.

Please re-listen to the last press release. This is not a missing person case any longer based on what I heard. It would be good to see what you hear compared to what I heard.
Everything they say just says they are considering every possibility. I think if it was no longer a missing person's case, they would probably state that. There's no reason not to call it whatever it is. I think they probably thought she went somewhere voluntarily and only after this amount of time are now seriously doubting it. Without being able to be specific because of posting rules, I think past missing person cases that have questionable conclusions where the victim was found safe has led to LE being reluctant to go public too soon with a case. I am not saying that is a good or bad thing. It's just a thing.

I am a little baffled why Mollie's mom never tried contacting her after she thought she was coming home for dinner and was a no show. I would have been on the phone trying to reach my kids and after no response gone down there to make sure they were ok.
According to all accounts, this was not a sit down dinner, instead a more casual, come if you can, there will be food here. Mollie was an adult and had a very busy schedule so her mom said she assumed that she got busy doing something. This was not at all unusual according to the family dynamics.

There was actually a member of LE who reportedly told an interviewer that the cell led to those locations.
Did the LE officer say it on camera or did a reporter say that’s what he’d heard from an official on scene. If it is confirmed that LE said it, that might impact some portions of how I think about this case.

I'm a Missouri 'hick' who used to live on a farm (city mouse to country mouse type thing) ....with soybeans and corn as the main crops. We had post hole diggers plus even a bulldozer....we also had a 'dump' site, in a ravine.
Also an old cistern we used until we got the well. Farmers can be quite 'crafty' and know how-to bury dead things such as cows, horses etc. so the smell doesn't bother the neighbors. A human body? Sadly, it can be done.

MooseMeMuch, I think I remember a case where a guy was throwing bodies in an area where they usually threw dead animals (cows, etc.) on a farm that died. I can't remember the case now (but I think he was throwing them off a bridge or something into some sort of ravine into an area that was used for getting rid of dead farm animals). I can't even remember how LE found out there was dead bodies there. They didn't find out though from what I read until a long time later. The dead animals covered the smell of the dead bodies. The thing is farmers ARE pretty crafty like you say.

I suppose I could entertain your idea (or the drunk driver theory) except that she was grabbed (imo) around 8:00 - 8:30 p.m. (give or take), pretty early for anyone to be soused enough to leave the bar and happen upon her and snatch her (or plow into her in the case of d.d.), get her body in the car (while inebriated) and take her off to be assaulted, hidden or buried. Just don't think either theory is viable.

High-functioning alcoholics drink from the time they wake up. They use flasks, thermoses, vodka and breath mints. Often their own loved ones don't know the extent of their dependency. They don't need a bar.

I wonder if it matters if Brooklyn only had 4” or so of rain in July that digging a hole to bury someone would be more difficult? It was pretty dry in my hometown especially was until recently. Just a thought... Imo

Mauig'ma, again the perp using the rain to HIS advantage.

That’s interesting. In earlier threads, I have asked about this belief that it pinged at the farm. I have seen people suggest this but have not seen or heard law enforcement confirm this ping. I have seen an agent who said they started looking at SO and those with stalking charges in the area. This is what I began to believe may have led them to the pig farm.

I'm on my phone so can't get the link right now BessDrew, but you will see the source of that info if you check my post history. I'll link to it when I get home :)

Question: do any of you consider the idea that an abductor, if there is 1, is young enough to realize what a Fitbit is and they just knocked her out and then switched the Fitbit to their own wrist for a time? Although it would change the heart rate speed likely, it might be hard for LE to determine what changed the heart rate (was she knocked out, was she fighting, was she scared or asleep). If the perp wore it for a while driving and then discarded it, they may have influenced LE to believe Mollie was alive longer than she actually was.

they should definitely check any junk yards that are nearby thoroughly. open trunks, pop hoods, search interiors.
Agreed. The thing with that particular salvage yard is you can see none of the junk from the road. During the summer at least. I drove the Google car around the whole block and turned the camera to the area of the junk and it was completely covered by greenery.

Most tiny burgs have drinkers that drive to the store or wherever with a Pabst Blue Ribbon iv when the bars are closed.
Theres not much to do BUT drink in most of those little communities and surrounding areas.

Right, but she is referring directly to someone who knows or is in close contact with the perpetrator. I agree, there is SOMEONE out there who knows something. This is the person or people who will lead police to the person responsible. We are all hoping this person will come forward, even if Mollie is no longer with us.
I am positive that considering there have been what, 2000+ tips logged by LE that every possible weird or non-weird thing that anyone could think of has been phoned in. And again, there has to be evidence for there to be a perpetrator. It may just be something that went wrong, and had unintended consequences. Something unintentional would not have a "perpetrator", that refers to someone knowingly, intentionally and physically doing something.

Thinking on the LE map released during the most recent presser...

The TA Truck Stop. I'm thinking some truckers work in teams, with one trucker driving the big rig for a ways while the second trucker follows in a chase vehicle (car), After x miles they swap vehicles and proceed.

Might this team scenario explain a possible vehicle (trucker in car) transport of MT (or her Fitbit/Phone) from her jogging route to/through the TA Truck Stop area?

These are archived scans of the actual 1979 papers. I don't want to break any rules and would prefer if S. Gammon gets the credit and opportunity to post the links first.

If the go ahead is given I will post the links.

It sounds like there are two parts to this story. One is that a relative of Mollie's mother went to prison almost forty years ago. I'm not sure if we can talk about that since it's sleuthing Mollie's distant family. Another is something that is discussed in a source we cannot use since it isn't MSM.

Absolutely LE is hoping to jog someone's memories of those locations.

You are saying the perp is in possession of Mollies fitbit and phone but not in possession of Mollie. So he abducts Mollie, does whatever horrible thing he does with her, takes her phone and fitbit, discards Mollie, and drives away. The fitbit will provide location and time spent at any one location, whether the perp slowed down to push her out of his vehicle, or stopped for an hour to dig a hole. Any areas where the fitbit went stationary LE has certainly searched. I believe LE highlighted the two areas on 200th St because these are locations where the fitbit was stationary for a certain amount of time. More time spent at a location, more chances for someone to have noticed something.
Yes, i think just speculating he keep them as souvenirs. But it was not Mollie in possion of them. But the perp. Those pings were coming from the perp having possesion of her fitbit phone whatever it was. This is not a total idiot were dealing with. And probably knew some things about a fitbit and cell phone and pings and so forth. Where they searched could have been where he wanted them to search, to through them off track for awhile. A early taunt if you will. He knew they would check those pings, for hes not an idiot. With advances in DNA a perp now and in the futhrer may go the extra mile to dispose of a body in the hopes it is never recovered do to the advancements in DNA. Though I dont think this is the case. But i would go father out where it pinged and look for some old delapated barns homes etc futher out and isolated and perhaps not inhabited for many many years. A dumping ground.

Why would her phone be out of power if she was on a run? If she had a medical emergency while on her run, she could have called 911.
I guess she could dial even if she was unable to speak, but that assumes signal.

Absolutely agree with you! Although, honest question...did LE State that they found a red shirt? (Not meant in a snarky way...they totally may have...I try to keep up but seems impossible). If not, then the very existence of a red shirt being found is called into question.

Except for the fact she’s missing, where she was last seen, what she was wearing (they think) it seems like almost all the info has just come from media and not from law enforcement. And I totally agree...I take everything else with a grain of salt. In fact, I also take what LE says with a grain of salt...for investigative purposes I am not convinced that they are being totally factual, which is totally understandable. (for example, the 5 areas on the map they said were just to jog memories about that night and they said there were no specific reasons for those areas...I am guessing there is a reason) ;)

amland01, I personally think there WAS red shirt. But I personally THINK that LE doesn't want us to know that. Maybe it leaked before they wanted it known to the public. So that's why they changed the story and said there was no red shirt or that it was not Mollie's red shirt. I personally THINK a lot of things leaked and LE covered it up later by telling us it didn't happen. I think they did that so that it would not compromise the investigation. Could be that they DO have her shirt and maybe DNA or something is on it and they are processing it right now to find out who's DNA it MIGHT be. Of course I might be wrong. JMO. Of course also even if they do find the perp's DNA on her shirt if he has never been caught his DNA will not come up in their systems so they are back to square one. But in the meantime they will probably want to keep that quite (in case in the future they DO get a hit on the perp's DNA) about the red shirt so the perp doesn't know they have it. JMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member