Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #31

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here’s what bothers me... by now LE certainly should know whether Mollie made it home or not. They’ve had plenty of time and access to enough records to establish when her electronic trail ends. If she never made it home from her run they should feel confident enough to call this an abduction. At a bare minimum they should publicly confirm that previous speculation that she was home later in the evening is false. How could it possibly hurt the investigation to confirm Mollie didn’t leave voluntarily? Unless she did.

Police do know whether she made it home from jogging. They have revealed that last known information police have about Mollie occurred during the time that she was jogging.

Mollie is a missing person. Without a crime scene, police cannot state that this is an abduction. Police cannot even suggest that she may no longer be alive until a body is found.

"Although we have not ruled out any scenario that could explain Mollie’s disappearance, we must consider the possibility that foul play is involved. Individuals who commit violent crimes often exhibit behavior that is recognized by those with whom he lives, works, attends school, or is in an otherwise close relationship with." (https://findingmollie.iowa.gov/)​

Questions that police have directly relate to identifying a violent offender.

Has anyone noticed that our conversations here at WS have all shifted to a scenario where Mollie never returned from her run? I still believe she made it home from her run, and maybe that’s why I have problems with all this talk of how somebody could incapacitate her and snatch her off the street. Has anything yet contradicted earlier speculation that Mollie was in the house doing homework later in the evening?
I have believed from the beginning that this was the case. It seems that it has been discounted because it was not verified by LE, at least to us, but I believe the original reports that she WAS doing hw until late in the evening, may very well be the case. Especially if this was a local cop, which I think it was. That would explain him saying something he at first didn't know was not supposed to be revealed. We don't know what time the sc was sent. Since she was texting him earlier, it would make sense that she sent the sc later.it was pouring rain that night. A perfect time not to be seen.

Has anyone noticed that our conversations here at WS have all shifted to a scenario where Mollie never returned from her run? I still believe she made it home from her run, and maybe that’s why I have problems with all this talk of how somebody could incapacitate her and snatch her off the street. Has anything yet contradicted earlier speculation that Mollie was in the house doing homework later in the evening?
I'm not convinced that she was going back to DJ's right away. She needed to pick up the car at her mom's, and dinner there was an option. So I am on the fence about that, maybe leaning more in the direction of DJ's because of LE's red areas. The area near her mom's house is not one of the five areas of interest. I think it's more probable that she was abducted at the end of her run when she was cooling down (walking). But if she did make it back to the house, I don't think she was there very long. I think she did her homework between 5:30 and 7:30. MOO

Has anyone actually looked at the map of Brooklyn (in the area where MT MIGHT have jogged) and tried jogging it out yourself through Google maps? I just did it just to see where MT might have gone (or jogged). I noticed that across the street from the car wash there is a fertilizer plant. I see it on Google Maps, which is probably old, but it has to still be there. I just find that kinda odd, especially since it is right across the street from the car wash. Maybe it could be someone from that plant (or that works at that plant) that abducted MT and something was seen on the video cameras at the car wash since it was across the street (or around that area). The place is called Rohrer Brothers (Ortho Fertilizer). I think they are owned by Brooklyn Elevator MAYBE. I don't know. But if you look at the sign out from it says Ortho Fertilizer and underneath it says Rohrer Bros. Inc.. I see a railroad with trains I guess and everything else there. It's right behind Doc's Auto Sales right off of V18 (Clay Street). Just something to think about. I was just thinking they would have access to equipment, probably know all about the cornfields, have access to lime, know all about the grain storage, etc..
Brooklyn Elevator - About Us

Last edited:
Homework? Snapchat DJ? (Sure would be nice to know what she was wearing in that snap.)

Find something to eat? Take a shower? (But then why are the running clothes missing?)

Answer a knock on the door?
Leave the house again? (To walk to mom's for the car?)

I don't really have the answers but I keep remembering the dad's statement about how they "sorta know what happened, sorta know how it happened, sorta know where it took place, but there is no why, it makes no sense." That statement coupled with his other statements lead me to believe she got in a car and left with someone. Maybe before she actually made it back inside the home.

Homework and snapchat are not possible. There was no communication with Mollie after she went jogging. That means she did not touch a single tech device after possibly returning to the house-sit after jogging.

What 20 year old returns from a run and doesn't check the phone? In the scenario where Mollie returns to the house-sit after jogging, she does not use her devices - no communication.

I think that the pinned tweet is very odd and suspicious for a couple reasons and I'm starting to think it was a ruse by the cop or the perp posing as a cop to get her name and information.
MT says the cop told her someone called in and reported her as a missing child.
- Was there in fact a missing child with a pink coat? If so, how did this 3rd party who called her in hear about it? And why wouldn't they themselves approach her and ask if shes OK? Was there an Amber Alert? Or, did someone see her and just assumed she was a lost child? But I can't think of a legit reason why someone would assume a child getting off a bus and going into a library would mean she's a missing child. MOO

I imagine it would be easy for LE to ascertain if anyone reported a missing child/ reported someone in a library with a pink coat or have a log of what officer, or library /campus cop was on duty that evening and hopefully they have done all this. Based on the tweet alone, I think it's possible Molly misinterpreted and made light of it, but had a sense (even subconsciously) that it seemed odd, enough to bring attention to it. If there was a report(Amber alert) of a missing child with pink coat, and he or someone in the library noticed a pink coat on a chair, but no child in sight, the officer might ask if the coat was hers, but not assume that she was actually the child herself. That said, I agree with you that it could've been a ruse. He could've seen her get off the bus and followed her in and who knows.

Since she called her mom at around 7:30 and never made it to her mom's for dinner, she might have grabbed something quick to eat (involving little or no preparation) in the kitchen, sat down still in her jogging clothes with fitbit still on at the table, snapped a quick snapchat picture and sent it to her boyfriend, put her phone back in her pocket, and then proceeded to work on a homework assignment involving reading, research, or something that didn't involve listening to audio while listening to her music (I always listened to music while doing homework in college). Maybe she planned to bring the dogs back upstairs and take a shower just before going to bed.
While she was doing her homework there may have been a knock at the door and someone known or somewhat known to her convinced her to come outside and get in a car with them, or an intruder or intruders let themselves in and she was overpowered and carried out of the house.

The Fitbit would have placed her at the house-sit after her run, yet police say that the last communication is during her run. Why didn't the Fitbit - that precious health device - tell police that her last communication between Fitbit, cell phone, data upload was at the house-sit?

I feel that she was at home when things happened. I can't come up with a scenario of what might have happened, especially when all of her running stuff is missing too. Though I know when I carried mail in the hot summer, I didn't always shower as soon as I got home. I liked to cool down thoroughly before I jumped in the shower.
I posted this once before, but it bears repeating. What each person would do after a run is different. I would immediately remove my shoes because I never wear shoes indoors. Someone else might immediately take a shower. Another person would just throw a towel over a favorite chair and sit for a few minutes. What would Mollie have done? We don't know. Maybe she would send DJ a snap, throw on a shirt, and then start walking to her mom's. Although she could have showered and changed at her mom's as well.

I have believed from the beginning that this was the case. It seems that it has been discounted because it was not verified by LE, at least to us, but I believe the original reports that she WAS doing hw until late in the evening, may very well be the case. Especially if this was a local cop, which I think it was. That would explain him saying something he at first didn't know was not supposed to be revealed. We don't know what time the sc was sent. Since she was texting him earlier, it would make sense that she sent the sc later.it was pouring rain that night. A perfect time not to be seen.

Doing homework requires Mollie to make two secure logins to her university accounts. The last communication from Mollie, which include electronic logins on a computer, was when she was jogging.

She did not do homework after she went jogging.

I feel that she was at home when things happened. I can't come up with a scenario of what might have happened, especially when all of her running stuff is missing too. Though I know when I carried mail in the hot summer, I didn't always shower as soon as I got home. I liked to cool down thoroughly before I jumped in the shower.
True, and who is to say she wasnt still wearing those things when she was on the computer that night? Rather, if. Maybe she was planning on showering right before going to bed, and never had the chance.

I posted this once before, but it bears repeating. What each person would do after a run is different. I would immediately remove my shoes because I never wear shoes indoors. Someone else might immediately take a shower. Another person would just throw a towel over a favorite chair and sit for a few minutes. What would Mollie have done? We don't know. Maybe she would send DJ a snap, throw on a shirt, and then start walking to her mom's. Although she could have showered and changed at her mom's as well.

She didn't communicate after she was seen jogging, so no snapchat. She didn't shower either, because her cell phone and fitbit are missing. Why wouldn't she jog to her mother's house?

Police do know whether she made it home from jogging. They have revealed that last known information police have about Mollie occurred during the time that she was jogging.

Mollie is a missing person. Without a crime scene, police cannot state that this is an abduction. Police cannot even suggest that she may no longer be alive until a body is found.

"Although we have not ruled out any scenario that could explain Mollie’s disappearance, we must consider the possibility that foul play is involved. Individuals who commit violent crimes often exhibit behavior that is recognized by those with whom he lives, works, attends school, or is in an otherwise close relationship with." (https://findingmollie.iowa.gov/)​

Questions that police have directly relate to identifying a violent offender.
OMG! Thank you!

True, and who is to say she wasnt still wearing those things when she was on the computer that night? Rather, if. Maybe she was planning on showering right before going to bed, and never had the chance.

She wasn't on the computer after she went jogging. Her last communication where she communicated with anyone, including logging into her online class, was when she was jogging.

Doing homework requires Mollie to make two secure logins to her university accounts. The last communication from Mollie, which include electronic logins on a computer, was when she was jogging.

She did not do homework after she went jogging.
Didn’t they say she was doing homework in the late evening?

Well that would be assuming that "communication" meant all electronic devices, computer, text,snap,etc. I'm not sure that is what is meant by communication. I know we have hashed the "communication" meaning out already, maybe last night? I'm still on the fence on what exactly LE meant by "communication."

We have those statements by her mom about an agent wanting to know if she was in the house at 9:45, and a few different statements from family members and DC about doing homework late in the evening.
And yeah I know there are statements from her mom saying she doesn't believe she made it back. Too many conflicting reports. I'm with SharonNeedles, what's the harm in LE clearing up some of these misunderstandings and just say whether or not she made it back from her run?

I remain convinced that Mollie made it home safely from her run and left at some point later in the the evening voluntarily. I don’t think she intended to be gone long and this changed from voluntary to something else shortly after she left. And I think her dad’s speculation is probably spot on. I also think she’s likely still alive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member