Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #31

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Doing homework requires Mollie to make two secure logins to her university accounts. The last communication from Mollie, which include electronic logins on a computer, was when she was jogging.

She did not do homework after she went jogging.
Do we know for sure that she did not make secure logins to her university account? I thought we were not definitively given that particular information. What was the time on the very last login?

She didn't communicate after she was seen jogging, so no snapchat. She didn't shower either, because her cell phone and fitbit are missing. Why wouldn't she jog to her mother's house?
Maybe because after completing her usual 45 minutes of jogging, she liked to take a cooldown walk. Many runners walk for a bit to cool down rather than stopping abruptly.

The Fitbit would have placed her at the house-sit after her run, yet police say that the last communication is during her run. Why didn't the Fitbit - that precious health device - tell police that her last communication between Fitbit, cell phone, data upload was at the house-sit?
Possibly because there was limited cell service in the area of the house she was staying at? I have mentioned before that we have that problem where I live.
I am just going off of your hypothetical scenario that she made it back because you asked what she does next, implying she had control of the situation.
I don't know that she did make it back inside the house.
I imagine she was picked up as she neared the house, or somewhere along her jog route, taken onto 80 and down to the area of the pig farms, harmed and possibly left there somewhere, and that the perpetrator(s) then took her to the area on the top northeast highlighted spot on LE's map where that person, or one of the people, may live.

Didn’t they say she was doing homework in the late evening?

Not at all. The boyfriend speculated that maybe she was doing homework. That was echoed by two other family members, including her mother. Her mother has since stated that she does not believe that Mollie was doing homework after she went jogging. A neighbor said something that someone else said, but that's third persons so we can't look at that as fact.

Police have never stated that Mollie was doing homework in the evening.

Doing homework requires Mollie to make two secure logins to her university accounts. The last communication from Mollie, which include electronic logins on a computer, was when she was jogging.

Or, maybe she did homework with files that she had already downloaded onto her computer. (That's how I do mine.)

I remain convinced that Mollie made it home safely from her run and left at some point later in the the evening voluntarily. I don’t think she intended to be gone long and this changed from voluntary to something else shortly after she left. And I think her dad’s speculation is probably spot on. I also think she’s likely still alive.
If so, who were those plans with?

I'm hung up on one thing. Whether you believe MT was grabbed by the car wash, or by bf's house, I can't reason out why the perp would drive her east on 385 to that northern V21 location first, then head to the southern V21 location second. Wouldn't it be faster from either abduction spot to take V18 south out of town past the truck stop and head straight for that lower V21 location? Less houses to drive by, and shorter.

Also, if they grabbed her by bf's house and DID take W 2nd st. south to V18, that would have taken them right past Casey's, the car wash, and the truck stop.

Thinking about this makes me wonder if the top V21 dot (near Hwy 6) really does makes more sense as the perp's entering or exiting spot. I tend to think entering because if you count the pig farm (and possibly even the searched wildlife area), that puts you heading north on 21 instead of V21. Unless, of course, he lives somewhere around that spot.

But all this means there has to be some kind of evidence that makes the top V21 spot of interest to LE. Right? Ugh, my head.

Well that would be assuming that "communication" meant all electronic devices, computer, text,snap,etc. I'm not sure that is what is meant by communication. I know we have hashed the "communication" meaning out already, maybe last night? I'm still on the fence on what exactly LE meant by "communication."

We have those statements by her mom about an agent wanting to know if she was in the house at 9:45, and a few different statements from family members and DC about doing homework late in the evening.
And yeah I know there are statements from her mom saying she doesn't believe she made it back. Too many conflicting reports. I'm with SharonNeedles, what's the harm in LE clearing up some of these misunderstandings and just say whether or not she made it back from her run?

What does communication mean in today's digital age with Fitbits, cell phones, laptops, ipads, tablets, and wearable technology? Doesn't it mean using one of these devices? It certainly includes more than a physical conversation between two people.

Police are not providing conflicting reports. After a month of sifting through information, they published what they know about the last sighting and communication with Mollie, and they want to know about five specific locations.

I remain convinced that Mollie made it home safely from her run and left at some point later in the the evening voluntarily. I don’t think she intended to be gone long and this changed from voluntary to something else shortly after she left. And I think her dad’s speculation is probably spot on. I also think she’s likely still alive.

What did she do when she got home at 8:15PM?

I saw a message elsewhere from someone who claimed that there was a login to he U of Iowa account, but that it was from an odd IP address. This person claimed to work for the U of Iowa. I don't know if this is true or not, but I don't dismiss it.
Do we know for certain that she didn't log in to the University account at all?
Besides being spotted jogging, do we know for certain that the entire time she was jogging and not in someone's car/truck/house, at least part of the time willingly?

Do we know for sure that she did not make secure logins to her university account? I thought we were not definitively given that particular information. What was the time on the very last login?

We do. Police would have verified when she accessed her online course prior to releasing the statement that the last known communication was when she was jogging.

Police have not released information about when she last accessed her class, but the university would have provided that information to police.

I know everyone says the Dad is just wishful thinking, holding out hope, trying to convince himself she's still alive. But RT is well spoken and articulate, everything he says seems well thought out, well measured, not just some wild speculation. (Yes I know he said he was speculating).

Some of the statements he makes just seem too spot on, they seem to be based on known facts provided to him by LE, not just some fanciful storyline based on hope. He speaks with confidence as he knows what he's talking about. He makes very specific statements, and hasn't seemed to change his mind from these scenarios, in each new interview he seems to build on these same ideas. He's calm and not emotional, it seems unlikely he'd make wild guesses as to where Mollie could be and how she came to be there.
My own opinion.

Last edited:
"On Wednesday, July 18, 2018, Mollie Tibbetts was last seen jogging in Brooklyn, Iowa in the evening hours. There have been no credible sightings of, or communications with, Mollie since that time."

Grammatically, the word time refers to the evening hours not the jog.

Maybe because after completing her usual 45 minutes of jogging, she liked to take a cooldown walk. Many runners walk for a bit to cool down rather than stopping abruptly.

Possibly because there was limited cell service in the area of the house she was staying at? I have mentioned before that we have that problem where I live.
I am just going off of your hypothetical scenario that she made it back because you asked what she does next, implying she had control of the situation.
I don't know that she did make it back inside the house.
I imagine she was picked up as she neared the house, or somewhere along her jog route, taken onto 80 and down to the area of the pig farms, harmed and possibly left there somewhere, and that the perpetrator(s) then took her to the area on the top northeast highlighted spot on LE's map where that person, or one of the people, may live.

If she didn't return to the house-sit then she disappeared while jogging - even if that was doing cool down walking close to the house-sit.

Meaning she may be alive, but Not held against her will?
Keep in mind, this situation got real crazy real fast. A lot of things could have happened that night, lots of scenarios other than being held against her will could have played out. I can’t shake the possibility that Mollie didn’t return immediately because she was embarrassed or felt to blame, but every subsequent day her disappearance was more of a big deal than the day before. What if her initial concern was that the person she left with might be charged with a crime? Entirely possible she didn’t really even know what happened (ghb is a very real concern on the UI campus). It doesn’t make a lot of sense, but somebody in that position would find themselves in a mess they don’t know how to get out of.

Plus, if she had returned to DJ's she most likely would have called or texted her brother about him bringing her the car in the morning, or driving her to work.

I'm hung up on one thing. Whether you believe MT was grabbed by the car wash, or by bf's house, I can't reason out why the perp would drive her east on 385 to that northern V21 location first, then head to the southern V21 location second. Wouldn't it be faster from either abduction spot to take V18 south out of town past the truck stop and head straight for that lower V21 location? Less houses to drive by, and shorter.

Also, if they grabbed her by bf's house and DID take W 2nd st. south to V18, that would have taken them right past Casey's, the car wash, and the truck stop.

Thinking about this makes me wonder if the top V21 dot (near Hwy 6) really does makes more sense as the perp's entering or exiting spot. I tend to think entering because if you count the pig farm (and possibly even the searched wildlife area), that puts you heading north on 21 instead of V21. Unless, of course, he lives somewhere around that spot.

But all this means there has to be some kind of evidence that makes the top V21 spot of interest to LE. Right? Ugh, my head.

Maybe she was last seen on W. Pershing Dr. and was abducted after she crossed Jackson. Maybe she was taken out of Brooklyn on the backroads to the top right dot.

Attachments

• Mollie Cell Tower.jpg
    Mollie Cell Tower.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 20
The Fitbit would have placed her at the house-sit after her run, yet police say that the last communication is during her run. Why didn't the Fitbit - that precious health device - tell police that her last communication between Fitbit, cell phone, data upload was at the house-sit?

Then how does the fitbit ping at the pig farm? If it stops during her run?

Maybe she was last seen on W. Pershing Dr. and was abducted after she crossed Jackson. Maybe she was taken out of Brooklyn on the backroads to the top right dot.
I agree with the top right dot being the last location of interest time-wise on the map.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Denny