Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #31

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
According to police, the last known sightings of, or communications with, Mollie was when she was jogging. This was after her brother dropped her off at 5:30, and after she left the house to go jogging at 7:30.

There is no reason to discount this police statement.
Exactly, no reason to discount it at all. The last time anyone heard from her was before she went on the run, and the last time she was seen was in jogging gear by eye witness(s). It would be an assumption that she could only have been abducted while on her run though. I am still open to the idea, that she went back home momentarily and then left again to head to mom’s for dinner. If she had already got her workout in, she might be more likely to accept a “friendly ride” at that point.

IMO, the pinned tweet is a red herring. Mollie's sense of humor on SM seems very dry, and I think this whole incident in the pinned tweet is likely at the very least embellished for comedic effect, and I think it was something that was not really a big deal (like just a kid momentarily lost from her mother). Of course, everything should be investigated, but I really doubt anything will come of that.

Yeah to me it is obvious she thought it was funny and not unnerving.

Why? Maybe we gotta rattle the bushes, shake the trees. Brainstorming to find Mollie is more important than our feelings, isn't it?
I didn't say anything about feelings. I did go to Google street view, however, and noted what is physically and logically possible. Annnnd....slim to none on semi full or otherwise being there. MOO and from now on will scroll on by talk of a semi being at a rinky dink car wash.

Car wash as a Point of Interest: notice that a straight line drawn from the Carwash to Casey’s covers both the Clay St and Jackson St intersections. Almost any vehicle entering Brooklyn from the South is going to pass through the Clay St intersection by the Car Wash. But from Casey’s at the far side of the Jackson intersection I doubt vehicles at the Clay St intersection could be indentified. I’m wondering if perhaps LE noticed a vehicle or two that passed through that intersection but did not turn towards Jackson St / Casey’s. A person near the carwash would have been in position to see what the Casey’s cameras can’t quite see.
And maybe that vehicle was caught on camera at the truck stop, either before or after being captured in town.

According to police, the last known sightings of, or communications with, Mollie was when she was jogging. This was after her brother dropped her off at 5:30, and after she left the house to go jogging at 7:30.

There is no reason to discount this police statement.

I’m not discounting LE, I’m just giving my opinion based on the known tangibles.

We have no idea what evidence LE has on her jogging, a witness can be wrong, if they have her on camera that’s a different story, but we don’t know yet.

I come from an LE family and based my statement/opinion on discussing what I posted.

Does anyone think she could have jogged behind the car wash and been taken there. There doesn't seem to be any cameras in the back only in the front and on the side. There is a road behind it because I see a stop sign.

clair_parker, that's what I was thinking. MAYBE the video cameras in front of the car wash caught MT on camera when she jogged by. MAYBE she did get abducted from the back of the car wash. MAYBE someone had already been watching her jogging routine the day before. OR MAYBE someone she knew called over to her and acted like they were having an emergency and her being the nice person that she is went to help them. MAYBE someone KNEW there were no cameras in the back (they may have scoped out all of this ahead of time--where the cameras were and whatnot) and figured that would be a perfect area to grab MT. MAYBE she was even jogging by the car wash (not necessarily near it) and as soon as she passed it someone came out of nowhere in their vehicle (which was hidden behind the car wash) and grabbed her. But then I would think LE would have seen their vehicle. Maybe LE did see their vehicle and that's also why they have the car wash marked on the map. But then I would THINK if they saw her vehicle they would have given the public a description of that vehicle by now. So the only thing I can think is they never saw that vehicle (maybe because that vehicle was parked in the back of the car wash hidden) and they only saw MT on the front video cameras as she jogged by (but they didn't see her jog by on her way back on the video cameras). This is all provided that there are no video cameras behind the car wash. JMO.

I sure hope so! Police want to hear from everyone who was in any of those five locations at the specified time and day. Hopefully everyone was paying attention and can describe what they saw.

@otto, you were volunteering to change up the map of the 5 locations yesterday and I wonder if you could map these three addresses (relative to the dots) with cell phone tower locations? If asking too much, please disregard.

612 W Des Moines St, Brooklyn, IA 52211
3797 200th St, Brooklyn, IA 52211
1295 200th Ave, Sigourney, IA 52591

Is it possible that her perp. got an idea from her tweet, since anyone can read her tweets....That life imitating tweet is too strange.
I'm not going to freak you out then by telling you on Mollie's Instagram she wrote "It's a great day to be alive" this appears below her name.
But I don't think either helps us get closer to bringing her home. Just a worrying coincidence I imagine

Bringing this forward

Updated 8/17/2018
WHAT WE KNOW
  1. Mollie’s jogging clothing is missing – pink sports bra, black shorts & running shoes
  2. Mollie’s devices are missing – cell phone, armband, FitBit and white earbuds
  3. She has about 3 different routes and likes to mix them up
  4. The dogs were in the basement
  5. DJ said the door was probably unlocked
  6. She typically picks up the car at her mom's house before dark
  7. She went for a run about 7:30
  8. She usually runs for 45 minutes
  9. LE reconstructed her run, relying on Fitbit data, cell phone pings and eyewitnesses
  10. A digital signal led police to the Guernsey farm area
  11. Video footage was collected from various businesses, including Casey’s & D&M
  12. Mollie's mom was asked by FBI if Mollie was "in a home" at 9:45
  13. She may have done homework (time unknown & unconfirmed)
  14. Snapchat appeared to be indoors & taken that day, viewed at 10PM
  15. Mollie was a creature of habit
  16. DJ sent her a text in the morning and she did not respond
  17. JT sent her at text approx. 7:30 am asking if she needed the car – no response
  18. There were no vehicles in the driveway (as there usually would be)
  19. Her driver's license, passport and debit card were at the house
  20. Usual evening routine: run, shower/eat or eat/shower, homework, bed
  21. No signs of a struggle or forced entry
Reported Sightings
  • NH, 7:30 pm - W Pershing Dr
  • RT, time unknown - W. Des Moines – walking east, would have to go N or S
  • DR, 8 pm - East 2nd Street - jogging west toward Casey’s
DC, time unknown, West St - told by LE (not an actual sighting) that MT jogged past his house and made it home

FBI poster indicates that Mollie was last seen running on Pershing Drive.
https://www.fbi.gov/wanted/kidnap/mollie-cecelia-tibbetts/@@download.pdf

I understand no credible communications with Mollie since she was jogging to mean that she did not initiate or accept any electronic communication since she left the house-sit to go jogging. We know that there is a digital signature 10 miles SE of Brooklyn, but the Fitbit paired with her cell phone can produce an automated signal.

Otto, you must be an engineer at heart. I greatly appreciate the precision AND accuracy of your observations. You say what you mean, and mean what you say. Thank you for your time and effort.

That fact that MT disappeared when nobody was home could be telling of two things.
1. Someone used this as an opportunity to take her knowing that they would have spare time before it was known she was missing.
2. MT could have used this large amount of private free time to do something on her own that might be out of character for her. Something she may have wanted to keep secret from her friends or family. This ultimately could have led to her disappearance.
In my opinion, both of these are more likely than a random abduction of opportunity.

IMO, it could possibly be a combination, of both of these scenarios. If MT was having contact with someone, without family's knowledge; that person might very well have been aware of her being home alone. Which may have prompted his decision, to initiate his course of action, at that particular time.

There are so many plausible theories, that are being pursued, that this is just another one, IMO.

I didn"t wake up the theory, simply responded to a post about it..it has happened before, What if it was a plainclothes officer? we don"t have the details or do we? Also what is known about this officer?

also please do not ask me to put a theory to rest as it , one..is not my theory, two it is snarky and I don't want this thread shut down.

I apologize if I came off as snarky, that was certainly not my intention. My post was intended to point out the obvious flaws with this theory.

What ever happened to when they stated that they believe she actually came home after her run because of the homework on her laptop??? I feel like that info is just no longer spoke about.
This is just my opinion, but I think they may have examined her laptop closer, and any activity to/from her computer and any network she was connected to, and evaluated that with phone and Fitbit data in conjunction with witness statements. When evaluated all together, the picture that emerged from from data may have made returning home more unlikely than not.

questions:

If the carwash CCTV system were functioning normally, would it record a person jogging or running along 2nd or Clay streets between 7-9 pm. and preserve (or not overwrite) data that until police asked for it.

If it was capable of capturing the imagery of a passing jogger and she was not on it, then that tells us something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snoopysnoop