Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #6

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
She made it back to the apartment of her BF after her jog on Wednesday night. She sent him a SC at 10pm. Her computer puts her up and doing some kind of work on it late in the evening. The red shirt she was to wear on Thursday is missing. Her contacts and glasses are at the BF's apartment. Her Fitbit and phone are missing and believed to be with her. She didn't answer her phone at 7:30am Thursday.

Here is what I think. She was up and dressed on Thursday morning, maybe took the dogs for a walk and left the door unlocked behind her or she answered an early morning knock at the door, or someone slipped in through sliding glass doors and it was before she put her contacts in her eyes. I believe we are looking at a neighbor in one of the apartments who has been watching her and noticed that she was alone.

Look at the apartments that have windows/doors that face hers.

Just my opinion.

Are there apartments by that house? I don’t see any

Last edited:
Which other missing person? I can't see what you're referring to

I misread. The person isn't actually missing, they are just looking for a suspicious person seen taking pictures of girls. Keep in mind this is an hour away and they said they have no idea if it's related or not but the article says "Surveillance footage broadcast by WHO-DT showed the driver parked Friday outside an auto body shop in what reportedly is a 2008 silver Honda Accord. After two women run by, the driver is seen raising an object outside the window of his car, then taking off."

One topic that hasn't been discussed much yet is the reward. I haven't followed other missing persons cases very closely, but $2,000 seems quite low. I am surprised that LE or the family is not inviting people to chip in to add to this pot.

People in this area aren't wealthy folks, so of course $2,000 is something -- but it's not a life-changing sum of money. There are a number of reasons why people might hesitant about ratting out a suspicious friend/relative/colleague/neighbor, especially if doing so can't be anonymous to that person (for example if they would likely realize that you ratted them out). There is a real risk of destroying social relationships, especially if your hunch turns out to be wrong. This is an area where people are highly interconnected. You may be implicating your sister's boss, or your neighbor's husband, or the cousin of a good friend. Or people may feel vulnerable if they worry that their tip may be insufficient to lead to arrest/conviction. In that scenario, you've pissed off a violent criminal who remains walking free. To my thinking, $2K may be insufficient to outweigh some of these concerns. Now $50,000? $100,000? That might get people talking, because the prospective benefit starts to outweigh the (considerable) risks.

Edited to add: I feel like Mollie's case is getting enough press that they could easily crowdfund a MUCH larger reward. People who don't even know her would happily chip in $50 or $100 and it would grow quickly. But the only I've seen is to support her family's living costs while they take time off from work. That's also a good cause, presumably, but the reward to me would be a more attractive way to get donations, and more likely to actually help solve the case.

I remember hoping LEO and other officials had more info they just weren't releasing with Missy Bevers. I really thought they were just keeping info "close to the vest" to protect the investigation. I was wrong. They still don't have a clue who murdered her and they have the murderer on tape. The killer was in disguise, but I still thought it would give them enough clues, esp throughout the interview and/or interrogation process.

This is probably easy for me to say, sitting on my comfy bed with zero LEO training :)

One topic that hasn't been discussed much yet is the reward. I haven't followed other missing persons cases very closely, but $2,000 seems quite low. I am surprised that LE or the family is not inviting people to chip in to add to this pot.

People in this area aren't wealthy folks, so of course $2,000 is something -- but it's not a life-changing sum of money. There are a number of reasons why people might hesitant about ratting out a suspicious friend/relative/colleague/neighbor, especially if doing so can't be anonymous to that person (for example if they would likely realize that you ratted them out). There is a real risk of destroying social relationships, especially if your hunch turns out to be wrong. This is an area where people are highly interconnected. You may be implicating your sister's boss, or your neighbor's husband, or the cousin of a good friend. Or people may feel vulnerable if they worry that their tip may be insufficient to lead to arrest/conviction. In that scenario, you've pissed off a violent criminal who remains walking free. To my thinking, $2K may be insufficient to outweigh some of these concerns. Now $50,000? $100,000? That might get people talking, because the prospective benefit starts to outweigh the (considerable) risks.

I totally agree and think not only is it a small amount but also that a reward should have come much sooner. I remember talking reward back in thread 1 or 2. I think I asked what others thought about reward money. I was wondering about stats with reward money. Does it really work? how often does it work? etc. I probably should just google but many people here have the info and interesting perspectives.

This case is strange. Nothing is going as others have gone or it feels like that way to me.

I remember hoping LEO and other officials had more info they just weren't releasing with Missy Bevers. I really thought they were just keeping info "close to the vest" to protect the investigation. I was wrong. They still don't have a clue who murdered her and they have the murderer on tape. The killer was in disguise, but I still thought it would give them enough clues, esp throughout the interview and/or interrogation process.

This is probably easy for me to say, sitting on my comfy bed with zero LEO training :)
sounds like the husband hired someone

No I do not. It’s an extremely far fetched reach. I’m not saying this to negate or be rude.
Think simple... don’t try to over analyze something that at very least 50% of girls her age would post.

As I see things, it doesn't matter how many girls do it. The question is: could the wrong person have seen it.

There is 0 chance it’s human trafficking. She does not fit the profile for it, she has family, community, she’s successful in school, this is not who they target.

I could see saying that now that she's liking feeling like a grown up in college, getting her first apartment, going on a fun trip with your boyfriend
I mentioned on a different forum today that I do believe it has to do with human trafficking. There was a photo posted online about a guy in a white car in that area taking photos of women jogging. My thoughts were that guy would take the photos, pass them on, another person would prey on the person silently until the perfect time arouse to kidnap. My thoughts are her abductor waited til the lights were out and made their move. Who knows if she had an open window or door... there is no sign of "forced" entry but it doesn't necessarily mean there was "no" entry at all.

@PommyMommy said:
I'm not able to view the article. ? I've cleared my cache and was able to scroll down to where I see a video, which looks like the one from ABC this morning. Can you link to the specific article?

Darn, It's another WP paywall article.
From that article, which was posted by the Washington Post at 11:34 today:

Several media outlets have reported that Jack and Tibbetts’s family members aren’t considered suspects. Rahn said he cannot comment on who is and isn’t a suspect.

I saw this same excerpt upthread but assumed it was old information. It just struck me that we have never heard who is actually running the investigation at this time, have we? We know FBI was brought in, so did they take over? The few quotes we've had have been from DCI, and not FBI. This guy - Rahn, "special agent in charge," has he been quoted in in other articles?

Me too. Really wonder why this ride is not being addressed. That person should have reported her missing , seemingly.

At first, Unknown Ride-Share Guy was at the top of my list of suspects.

Recently, I've been thinking that she had more than one person who was on a "I'll call you if I need a ride" basis.

So, if she disappeared on the way over to her mother's, before she had finalized her ride arrangements, everyone would just think that she'd gotten a ride some other way, and wouldn't have worried.

There is zero evidence that the FBI has been limited or restricted. That wouldn't even make sense.

And this case is being handled in the same way multiple cases are across the nation. They're working the case and not giving us their info.

In terms of missing persons cases this has not been a long time.

OK where is the press conference or interview with the FBI's public information officer or for that matter the lead agent alerting the public how to contact them directly?

Not like all other cases. I have followed cases for over 40 years. And every state has a set of protocols they use when it comes to missing people. And the FBI can't just enter any missing person case - they have to be invited. And there are plenty of cases where they are asked to help but they don't send agents. They handle evidence or particular leads which cross jursidictionally.

In this case, we see lots of FBI shirted folks but whose in charge? I would respectfully disagree. with you.
MY posts have by and large been about the way the investigation and the subsequent or here maybe the word confusing media information is being delivered to the public.

I was shoulder to shoulder the the Walshes when they began their work to change the way missing people cases are handled in our country. And the last time I checked IOWA is not SMART compliant. More Indian Tribal lands are compliant than states! It was put on a back burner during the Obama administration - seemed sex offenders became almost a protected class at one point -- I could go and on.

Bottom line - I am not sure how IOWA works - some states counties feed their information directly to the FBI. Other states send their information to their State Police or their Public Safety or Bureau of Investigation or whatever they are called. I think it is DCI, ( Department of Criminal Investigation - interestingly the same acronym is used to identify a specific officer in England Detective Chief Inspector) And it is someone from the State level who coordinates with the FBI. The difference may seem minor but it can actually means hours or days lost while the right people are brought in. And when local agencies have folks who communicate routinely with the FBI I believe it makes a difference in how easily the two are able to hit the ground running.
AND in some cases you will hear from a SHERIFF even after the FBI is there- that is because the SHERIFF is leading the investigation. Until the local or state guy says I hand the baton off the FBI have protocols which do not allow them to take over any missing person case unless the evidence pushed the investigation across a jurisdictional line and the crime jumps from state crime to federal crime.

I have seen tiny hamlets in coastal communities quickly turn the batton over to the FBI because there was a chance he was viewed as having a conflict or being too close. In Mollie's case have we heard from the SHERIFF there? Who is the SHERIFF there? Can you recognize him? Have you seen him leading this investigation? His name is Sheriff Tom Kriegel. But the person I have seen on TV or referenced in media reports is a man with IA's DCI. There is someone who is leading the FBI team. I would sincerely like that person to step into the limelight and bring the fear of GOD to the town and neighboring counties, if necessary. I wouldn't mind if it rippled all the way to Chicago!

The perception of the public and the fear factor can be a very helpful tool IMO. The FBI can go anywhere in our land and they have the finest labs and manpower (hopefully still). We live in a land of sanctuary cities and where political party affiliation is tainting some areas.

I am wondering if there are any C.A.R.D. members in this investigation. CARD was, may still be, a specialized team who investigate missing children. Their success rate is over 90 percent. There are I think 60 or so teams - task force who make up CARD. As I have watched Mollie's case I wonder if we need to be creating such a team for missing adults? Or maybe we need to ease into it by widening the parameters to include missing folks aged 19 -24, college aged?

Just thinking... I mean no disrespect to anyone here. I am only offering my opinions based on what I see, hear, and have witnessed and learned along life's way.

I totally agree and think not only is it a small amount but also that a reward should have come much sooner. I remember talking reward back in thread 1 or 2. I think I asked what others thought about reward money. I was wondering about stats with reward money. Does it really work? how often does it work? etc. I probably should just google but many people here have the info and interesting perspectives.

This case is strange. Nothing is going as others have gone or it feels like that way to me.

Yes, agree re: the timing of the reward. Very slow. And funded by the nearby electric co-op (with a $1K match). Why is the family not contributing anything? Or others who were close to Mollie? I understand they may not have thousands in cash on hand, but even $500 or something? I mean, your daughter/sister/girlfriend is MISSING! I'd be emptying bank accounts if it were my daughter. And even if they really can't afford to put $$ in, then just ask the public and we will help!

I would agree with this that law enforcement searched the pig farm purely based on a tip. Do they really have nothing to go on as far as a POI? I also find it hard to believe that Mollie lives in such a small town, where everyone knows everyone, and yet there's only been one eye witness that saw her the day she supposedly went missing. I know how rumor mills spread like wild fires in small towns (I come from one in Iowa) so I find it hard to believe that there isn't a single person in the community that knows something or knows someone that behaves suspiciously. Any thoughts on this? Reminds me how tight lipped the community was in the Tara Grinstead case.

New to WS, so apologies if I'm repeating a point someone has already made.

I cannot cite any cases but I know I have read on here about cases where people knew plenty but were not telling anyone but LE. It comes out after the perp is arrested. They want the killer busted and not to have their info in the limelight.

Last edited:
Billboard rent, fliers, buttons, posters, car magnets, airfare (for dad- maybe lodging too). I’m sure some expenses have been donated, but probably not all. This is why kids of poor people don’t get the media exposure/ pressure for law enforcement to assign the manpower it takes to break a case like this.

All good points--I know my post may have come off wrong, but I wasn't trying to imply that the parents are wrong for asking for donations, just that maybe that there was something else to consider (i.e. could MT be being held for ransom?)...Again I realize that's wild speculation on my part, as it's entirely possible they may use the funds as a reward for information aside from helping them keep up with the expenses that are incurring while they look for MT...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cassie.ryan18