Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #6

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not able to view the article. ? I've cleared my cache and was able to scroll down to where I see a video, which looks like the one from ABC this morning. Can you link to the specific article?

The main point of the article:

As the search for missing Iowa student Mollie Tibbetts continues, her father is pleading for anyone who might have information on her whereabouts — no matter how “remotely out of the ordinary” it may be — to come forward.

“It doesn’t matter what we’re going through; we just need people to think — there’s somebody knows something and they don’t even know it’s important,” Rob Tibbetts told ABC’s “Good Morning America.” “We can get Mollie back; we just have to have somebody call.”

“What we need is for people to tell their friends and neighbors that if they saw anything that seemed even remotely out of the ordinary to call the authorities, and they will run that down,” Rob Tibbetts told “Good Morning America.” “The authorities have told us again and again and again that all the similar cases like this are always solved by some tip.”

‘It doesn’t matter what we’re going through’: Missing student’s father wants help, not sympathy

In my experience, investigators will state that they are looking for a living victim until such time that they have proof that the victim is no longer alive.

Oh Otto,
I have always respected and trusted your opinions. You are thorough and thoughtful of each and every detail in cases. You are on key and consistently logical! I have been holding out hope and resisting thinking LE would say they believed Mollie was alive if they didn't have some evidence that gave them reassurance of that idea. But, seeing you say this just makes my heart sink and reality inflicts a punch to the gut. tears poor Mollie and her loved ones
JMO

Anyone know of the missing person they are referring to?

"Rahn, noting details about the home were part of the ongoing investigation, did say authorities were not aware of any link between Tibbetts’ disappearance and the ongoing search for a man in Pella -- a city about an hour’s drive away – who was captured on surveillance video Friday morning taking pictures of high school-age female joggers."

EDIT: I misread. They aren't looking for a "missing" person, they are just looking for a suspicious unknown person.

Mollie Tibbetts case investigators keeping details close to the vest, key questions remain unanswered

How about this? Can local businesses take a look at employee absences or tardies on that Thursday morning? Also, someone brought up the construction company that the boyfriend worked at. Did any of his coworkers know Mollie was home alone? Were there other people from the town that worked there? If someone abducted her early Thursday morning, they might have called in sick or been late to work.

It is never really a point if view of what the victim wears. It really dont matter if she was naked or fully clothed. The person responsible most likely dont care. Whomever outside of a secret admirer most likely dont care

But...it is possible her abductor was following her online and grew more and more enticed, frustrated, angry, or however it is these freaks feel when they decide they have the right to take someone. That’s always a danger these days. Jmo

Why would Google map car not actually include some roads? It is irritating the rest of 170th Street is not there and the not have the rest of 385th Street is missing from street view.

In a tiny town of 1500 that there is a 100th or 300th and anything street is interesting and a bit odd to me. What does it take to get a street to bear a name and not a number. It looks like Mollie may not have been running town streets but old country roads! How I wish they would release a graphic with the routes she may have used.
I feel your frustration with the street numbers. Sometime in the late 80’s-ish Iowa gvrnmnt urgently decided to update it’s address systems for emergency locator purposes. Before that, all streets were RR3 or 4 or whatever- “Rural Route 3”. So someone with a leg ripped up in a tractor accident would have to tell emergency services that they were in RR3 between the Smith & Jones farms. In an effort to quickly change this statewide, numbers were assigned to most streets. I guess they didn’t want to take the time to come up with names like Bear Creek Rd. Ironically, too many numbered streets make it harder to keep facts strait in cases like this.

Anyone know of the missing person they are referring to?

"Rahn, noting details about the home were part of the ongoing investigation, did say authorities were not aware of any link between Tibbetts’ disappearance and the ongoing search for a man in Pella -- a city about an hour’s drive away – who was captured on surveillance video Friday morning taking pictures of high school-age female joggers."

EDIT: I misread. They aren't looking for a "missing" person, they are just looking for an unknown person.

Mollie Tibbetts case investigators keeping details close to the vest, key questions remain unanswered

Which other missing person? I can't see what you're referring to

It will not allow me to view. Was this an incident that happened today?

Summary from the attempted attack on jogger in Dubuque Sunday evening for those who can't access the article.

This supposedly happened on a very busy and likely the best known street in Dubuque for walking and jogging and it happened in the early evening hours (7:30 PM) while it was still daylight. The incident was not reported to police by the victim and in all likely may turn out to be a hoax.

Police investigating reported attack on jogger in Dubuque

Police are investigating a reported attack on a jogger Sunday on Grandview Avenue, according to Dubuque Assistant Police Chief Jeremy Jensen.

SBM

A social media post from the jogger telling people about the incident went viral after it was posted Sunday night, but it apparently since has been taken down.

Jensen said multiple people passed along that post to police. In it, the woman said she was running alone at about 7:30 p.m. along the “busiest street in Dubuque,” later identified as Grandview, according to Jensen.

He said the post indicates that a man began running alongside the woman, asked her questions and offered her flowers. The man then tried “taking her away,” according to the post, at which point the woman punched and kicked the assailant and freed herself.

SBM

“It is a busy street at that time of day, so hopefully, there were some witnesses out there,” Jensen said. “We will be doing a canvass of the area, seeing if anyone saw anything.”

No I do not. It’s an extremely far fetched reach. I’m not saying this to negate or be rude.
Think simple... don’t try to over analyze something that at very least 50% of girls her age would post.

I agree @thekarmabus and I think it is harmful to even discuss it. There is no way speculating about her social media pictures and what she's wearing will have any impact on understanding what may have happened. It's not helpful and it puts some blame on the victim. If it were up to me, it would not be allowed on this forum at all.

I still can't get past the fact that she didn't show up for dinner and no one was alarmed. I am the mom of a 19 year old and if she told me she was coming and even asked me to buy specific dessert ingredients, I'd be worried if she didn't come. And if I couldn't reach her after multiple attempts and she lived only a mile away, I'd be inclined to go check. Especially knowing she was there alone watching the dogs. This doesn't strike a chord with anyone else?

It definitely strikes a chord with me--my mother would have called me a half-dozen times that evening, then driven over there, then called the police.

But--family relationships are all different. My best guess is that Mollie was still in the child-who-wants-to-be-independent stage, and had 'trained' her mother to not worry about her--by frequent no-shows without explanation.

How about this? Can local businesses take a look at employee absences or tardies on that Thursday morning? Also, someone brought up the construction company that the boyfriend worked at. Did any of his coworkers know Mollie was home alone? Were there other people from the town that worked there? If someone abducted her early Thursday morning, they might have called in sick or been late to work.

That is a great thought and good idea. I'm sure places have done that, especially local ones, but they aren't going to go to a news station and have an interview telling that. They probably reported it to the police and it is being worked through.

Good LE is transparent as possible, as I believe they have been here, to keep the public invested and involved.

I don't believe they know a great deal that they are not revealing.

I don't agree at all.

They have stated they won't discuss the condition of the home. Clearly they know what that was.

They've stated they collected tons of Fitbit info and other info from her electronics. They have not released any of that info.

They say they have a "solid timeline". But they've refused to release that info either.

Releasing certain info simply compromises an investigation. I only see them do that when they feel the need for info or help from the public is greater than the risk of hurting the investigation. That usually happens when they don't have any evidence and/or are at dead ends:

"We must also be careful releasing details of an active investigation. While it certainly would be nice to refute the outrageous rumors that start via social media with actual facts, we will never release information in any open investigation that will compromise the integrity of that investigation.

Once we release information, we lose a valuable investigative tool. Usually, only the actor in a crime knows the true details of a case. If we share those details, we lose the ability to use that information effectively in an interview to gain evidence that will stand up in court. The integrity of a case is of paramount importance when determining if information should be released."

Schmidt: Appropriate timing for release of information vital to police process

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member