Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mollies bf's brother seemed upset that he had fallen under scrutiny- but scrutiny by whom? And why would this bother him? The last place Mollie could have been is in his house with his dogs- it is pretty normal for people to look at the closest people first then work outward - he has not been named a poi or anything so I guess I am not understanding what scrutiny he is facing? If it were me I could care less about whatever scrutiny I faced and just work to FIND MOLLIE- my feelings of being scrutinized would never come up as an issue-
Welcome to Websleuths! I believe if you'd been posting here for more than a day, you'd understand how upsetting it could be to be cleared by LE in this investigation, yet continuously be scrutinized, sleuthed, your business sleuthed, and held under suspicion in every medium. Although this violates WS TOS, it doesn't prevent it from happening here too and growing legs....

Last edited:
Yeah, the display has a metal strip around it. Yours doesn't have a display I think, but the models that have a display but aren't watches have what look like silver strips on the front.
People ask me what mine is all of the time. I can see a perp disposing of her phone and not her Fitbit, FWIW. Oh, and mine is water-resistant, not sure if all of them are. I have forgotten that I had it on and showered with it more than once.

They could get the phone company to tell them all the phones pinging in that area when she went missing. They did something along those lines in the jessica heringa case
Actually they did a great job with the phone pings in the Jessica Chambers case and that was a very small town also. (btw Tellis' retrial is coming up next month).

Just food for thought...Mollie's father mentioned it was now a nationwide search. I found the information on Adam Leroy Lane interesting considering the home Mollie was staying at was close to major roads and in a rural community where a long haul trucker could park over night. Probably far fetched..

https://listverse.com/2015/10/31/10-serial-killing-long-haul-truckers/

Thanks Harmony2. I thought I had asked about truck stops nearby actually but can’t find the post now but I was wondering about this as well.

I have mentioned in another thread my friend came home one night and there was a man who had been hiding in her closet. She woke up to him trying to light her crotch on fire. :( She got away thank goodness but he had been in the house for a while she thinks because the blinds were closed and he had listened to her answering machine bc he quoted something from the message. This 20 years ago. (Any signs of an intruder? I suppose this would have been mentioned already.)

I haven’t been able to read all the posts here but I do note that LE has purposefully not said “the community must remain vigilant” which to me is one giveaway that a random is suspected. They really might not just know but I have no doubt they are maximizing their efforts and resources.

ETA: Haha this is the second time I’ve gotten an alert from you Harmony and I’m like, “oh no! What did I do now??” LOl.

Fear the mods people. FEAR THEM with your life! Just kidding.

Ps. I see a lot of great folks and posters in here!!

Last edited:
Can someone construct a street map of Brooklyn showing where Mollie's house is versus the mother's where the car was? As a runner, I'd love to see the distance and route there. Thanks in advance.
I recall seeing such a map in a prior thread - its been done.

Hi, is there any more info apart from what is posted above please? Can't access the site from the UK (really need to get a VPN!)
I'm not sure the free VPN Hola works from the UK but for a free service its not bad.

Can you clarify what you mean? Fitbits don't exactly "ping" - they have to sync via a Bluetooth connection to phone or computer so if her phone is off they're not getting any data from the Fitbit even if it's still running somehow. They could theoretically find it using a scan device looking for Bluetooth signals (again if it's still running) but they'd have to be within range to do that.

I don't know, it was my understanding that LE located a ping from the fitbit that led them to the farm? But, if the fitbit doesnt actually ping, and its the phone doing the pinging, why would LE not state that they picked up a cell phone ping instead of a fitbit ping?

If this is someone she knows (perhaps even local to the town or a nearby town), and IF she is being held somewhere alive like some have hypothesized, then it really is SO important people in/near Brooklyn think hard about anyone in their life even doing something small differently. I really think if this is the scenario, this is how the case will get solved. If someone is holding her alive, that person would need to check up on her. Is there someone who is going to work earlier or getting home a bit later? Going out at night when they normally don't, etc?

Of course, god forbid she is not alive any longer, the person responsible may have just jumped right back into routine, but unless they are a cold-blooded killer who have done this thing before, their behavior would probably be a bit off or something would just feel a bit hinky. I really hope if people have these suspicions about someone in their life, even someone they don't think in a million years would ever do something like this, that they call (not talking to you guys here, but saying this in general about people in Brooklyn).

I don't know, it was my understanding that LE located a ping from the fitbit that led them to the farm? But, if the fitbit doesnt actually ping, and its the phone doing the pinging, why would LE not state that they picked up a cell phone ping instead of a fitbit ping?

People ask me what mine is all of the time. I can see a perp disposing of her phone and not her Fitbit, FWIW. Oh, and mine is water-resistant, not sure if all of them are. I have forgotten that I had it on and showered with it more than once.

They would have found her phone though. Phone is easier to find than a Fitbit and the Fitbit doesn't actually send the location of the Fitbit but the location of the phone to the cloud anyway.

Fitbit says devices like ours (I have a Charge 2 which is similar to the Alta) are ok to wear in the rain but not the shower. I assume that since it had to be charged sometime, MT charged it when she was showering/etc.

Just food for thought...Mollie's father mentioned it was now a nationwide search. I found the information on Adam Leroy Lane interesting considering the home Mollie was staying at was close to major roads and in a rural community where a long haul trucker could park over night. Probably far fetched..
https://listverse.com/2015/10/31/10-serial-killing-long-haul-truckers/
No, IMO, it's not far-fetched -- that's what I've been thinking as well. A trucker could pull into a parking lot or on a roadside to get a nap or a snack, etc., and he noticed her jogging or entering the house. Then he gets into action. He possibly could have followed her and taken her as she was about to go into the house. A knife or gun, or a threat of one, would be all it might take to keep her quiet.

The question I have is: Under what circumstances would she put the dogs in the cellar?

Apparently , if she was home alone doing homework or whatever, the dogs would be loose in the house. If a stranger gained entry to the house and abducted Mollie, they would not bother putting the dogs in the cellar. ( although the dogs might raise a ruckus or attack the intruder).

If someone came by who she felt comfortable letting into the house, she might put the dogs in the cellar to prevent them from acting out at the “guest”. Does anyone have any idea how “protective” those dogs were? I would think she would have had to feel pretty comfortable with that person to let them in so late.

It has been reported that she put the dogs in the cellar whenever she left the house. She might have walked to her mothers house but 15 minutes is a long walk after 10:00PM. She could have been snatched off the road as a crime of opportunity. Going off with someone she knew in a car is also a possibility.

The one explanation that isn’t consistent with the dogs being in the cellar is some stranger gaining access to the house and abducting her.

The status of her phone is critical and that information is probably being withheld.

If the Fitbit is configured in the correct way, it can be telling the phone to figure out where it is exactly even using GPS/GLONASS and upload it to the Fitbit cloud. A phone normally will not do this. Triangulation isn't as accurate as what you'd get using satellites.

This would chew through her battery like crazy.

If this is someone she knows (perhaps even local to the town or a nearby town), and IF she is being held somewhere alive like some have hypothesized, then it really is SO important people in/near Brooklyn think hard about anyone in their life even doing something small differently. I really think if this is the scenario, this is how the case will get solved. If someone is holding her alive, that person would need to check up on her. Is there someone who is going to work earlier or getting home a bit later? Going out at night when they normally don't, etc?

Of course, god forbid she is not alive any longer, the person responsible may have just jumped right back into routine, but unless they are a cold-blooded killer who have done this thing before, their behavior would probably be a bit off or something would just feel a bit hinky. I really hope if people have these suspicions about someone in their life, even someone they don't think in a million years would ever do something like this, that they call (not talking to you guys here, but saying this in general about people in Brooklyn).
Good points. Regardless of if the perpetrator is holding her still, or (more likely unfortunately) has already killed her, there are almost always significant behavioral changes. Finding religion, drinking, change in appearance/weight, there is a whole litany of observable changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rswilliams65