Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know if we know what pings or tips lead to the farm searches but most people wear their fit bits 24 hours a day. I believe it's even been confirmed by family that Mollie is one of those people.

If the fitbit pinged by the farm then it would ping elsewhere, unless they found the fitbit and its in their possession.

The farm searches were done because tbe fitbit pinged off a cell towe neayby, correct?
But we dont know what time it pinged. I wonder if she wore it to work...she probably did not wear it to bed..?
I am trying to come up with a theory of when she went missing.
Late at night or early am.

It depends on which article you want to go with.

"When her Fitbit pinged at a hog farm about 10 miles southeast of the house in Brooklyn, IA, where she was last seen, police searched the area but found nothing, Mortvedt said."

Everything We Know About The Disappearance Of University Of Iowa Student Mollie Tibbetts

"There was nothing of investigative value last night that was discovered with the search," Mortvedt said. The search was the subject of speculation Wednesday and Thursday on social media.

Mollie Tibbetts: 'We follow through on everything,' investigators say of search

Mods, please delete this if it violates any TOS, but I was listening to the Nancy Grace podcast, "Crime Stories with Nancy Grace," episode from yesterday, July 31, and she was discussing the MT case, and was speaking with MT's cousin, Morgan Collem (sp?).

During the discussion, Nancy asked Morgan if the SC was sent at 10pm, or if the SC was opened by Dalton at 10pm. Morgan states: "To my knowledge, it was sent around 10 pm, just based on what I've heard. It sounds like her boyfriend, Dalton, was getting pretty sleepy, and I believe that he had fallen asleep and then opened the Snapchat the next morning. But the sent time would have been around 10."

Here is a link
to the video upload of the Podcast episode, if you don't have access to the Podcast. The aforementioned interaction begins at 45:23.

I have not heard this information about the SC anywhere else, so it definitely piqued my interest.

Someone had asked earlier about where the reward money came from. Don't know if it was ever answered (this thread moves so fast and I feel like I'm always behind).

Reward for safe return of Mollie Tibbets jumps to $30K

Television station KCCI reports that the reward for the safe return of 20-year-old Mollie Tibbetts comes mostly from donations. A fund for the reward is set up at First State Bank in Brooklyn.

When did they start this fund?

the dogs in the basement also remind me of the McStay case, My thought is that she either put them away because someone was at the door, or someone ordered her to put the dogs in the basement.

I am feeling very funky about this detail and her glasses being there.

again, Luminol..we looked for the living Mcstay family who had run away to Mexico, when in fact there was blood evidence in the house all along.

First time poster here. I haven't read every word of all 9 threads yet, but I've read enough to throw this theory out there. If it's already been discussed, forgive me because I know from other message boards how annoying that can be.

Let me circle back to the mystery of the dogs. Why were those dogs in the basement if Mollie was home? How can this be reconciled with the info that the dogs get free rein of the house if Mollie is home? Let's play a what if? game. What if at about 9:30 that night the dogs start barking at a window and maybe even growling? Mollie is confused because she doesn't see anything unusual when she looks out the window. Maybe she's thinking they were barking at a squirrel. She tries to get them to stop barking, but they just won't have it. Maybe she's thinking "oh come on, I don't need to deal with this right now, it's getting late and I'm trying to do my homework". So she puts the "misbehaving" dogs in the basement so she can get some peace and quiet and get back to doing her homework. The whole time this is happening, she's completely unaware that there IS someone lurking right outside the house. She misinterpreted the dogs alerting on the intruder as them misbehaving or getting wound up over a wild animal, not knowing that they're trying to protect her.
First time poster here. I haven't read every word of all 9 threads yet, but I've read enough to throw this theory out there. If it's already been discussed, forgive me because I know from other message boards how annoying that can be.

Let me circle back to the mystery of the dogs. Why were those dogs in the basement if Mollie was home? How can this be reconciled with the info that the dogs get free rein of the house if Mollie is home? Let's play a what if? game. What if at about 9:30 that night the dogs start barking at a window and maybe even growling? Mollie is confused because she doesn't see anything unusual when she looks out the window. Maybe she's thinking they were barking at a squirrel. She tries to get them to stop barking, but they just won't have it. Maybe she's thinking "oh come on, I don't need to deal with this right now, it's getting late and I'm trying to do my homework". So she puts the "misbehaving" dogs in the basement so she can get some peace and quiet and get back to doing her homework. The whole time this is happening, she's completely unaware that there IS someone lurking right outside the house. She misinterpreted the dogs alerting on the intruder as them misbehaving or getting wound up over a wild animal, not knowing that they're trying to protect her.

If the fitbit pinged by the farm then it would ping elsewhere, unless they found the fitbit and its in their possession.
Can you clarify what you mean? Fitbits don't exactly "ping" - they have to sync via a Bluetooth connection to phone or computer so if her phone is off they're not getting any data from the Fitbit even if it's still running somehow. They could theoretically find it using a scan device looking for Bluetooth signals (again if it's still running) but they'd have to be within range to do that.

Mods, please delete this if it violates any TOS, but I was listening to the Nancy Grace podcast, "Crime Stories with Nancy Grace," episode from yesterday, July 31, and she was discussing the MT case, and was speaking with MT's cousin, Morgan Collem (sp?).

During the discussion, Nancy asked Morgan if the SC was sent at 10pm, or if the SC was opened by Dalton at 10pm. Morgan states: "To my knowledge, it was sent around 10 pm, just based on what I've heard. It sounds like her boyfriend, Dalton, was getting pretty sleepy, and I believe that he had fallen asleep and then opened the Snapchat the next morning. But the sent time would have been around 10."

RSBM. This is inaccurate, IMO. Multiple news reports have stated that it was opened around 10pm, time it was sent is unknown. I don't think her cousin's words based on what the cousin heard is a good source.

Just rewatched the press conference from 7/31. Having family in LE, typically when they seem to be tight lipped for this long leads me to believe they have a lead and she could possibly still be alive.
1. they are confident in a timeline - the minute they release this timeline would send MSM into a frenzy, mucking up their chances of following this continued timeline up until the present (could spark the perp to do something rash and unpredictable)
2. they are looking at all technology belonging to Mollie - would believe this would mean they have an idea of where her phone and fitbit last pinged before dying, and any suspicious social media interactions she had with people lately
3. When asked if they have any persons of interest, Winker vaguely responds. When the report responds with, "...so not a no" Kevin Winker smirks which to me is body language saying there could be something to that. Next, he says we can't tell you "why" Mollie is missing - the combination between these two things leads me to believe that they have either 1 or several POI, but are unsure of the reason why the abduction occurred

I certainly think it is someone Mollie knows, and that perhaps the community may know. Certainly helps explained why they have to be extremely tight lipped.

the dogs in the basement also remind me of the McStay case, My thought is that she either put them away because someone was at the door, or someone ordered her to put the dogs in the basement.

again, Luminol..we looked for the living Mcstay family who had run away to Mexico, when in fact there was blood evidence in the house all along.
The problem with the Mcstay case was LE didn’t treat it as an abduction right away. For a while they through they had traveled to Mexico, which gave Meritt an opportunity to clean the crime scene. Atleast here, the police secured the potential crime scene pretty quickly.

Re: the glasses
I've noticed that Mollie is not wearing glasses in most of the images released, such as her missing persosn photo. Does anyone know if they are reading glasses or maybe just back ups in case she is not able to use contacts?

Re: the glasses
I've noticed that Mollie is not wearing glasses in most of the images released, such as her missing persosn photo. Does anyone know if they are reading glasses or maybe just back ups in case she is not able to use contacts?
From what I've read they are just back up prescription glasses. She typically wears contacts, but they also found those in the house. I believe it's unclear whether or not they were spares or her primary ones she was using currently.

Mollies bf's brother seemed upset that he had fallen under scrutiny- but scrutiny by whom? And why would this bother him? The last place Mollie could have been is in his house with his dogs- it is pretty normal for people to look at the closest people first then work outward - he has not been named a poi or anything so I guess I am not understanding what scrutiny he is facing? If it were me I could care less about whatever scrutiny I faced and just work to FIND MOLLIE- my feelings of being scrutinized would never come up as an issue-

Most people have never been close to an incident like this...and don’t know the basics as WS regs do...

RSBM. This is inaccurate, IMO. Multiple news reports have stated that it was opened around 10pm, time it was sent is unknown. I don't think her cousin's words based on what the cousin heard is a good source.

I completely understand where you're coming from. I feel it's hard to know what to believe, because MSM is certainly a valuable source of information, especially when multiple sources report something; but, IMO, for all we know, MT's cousin could have received this information directly from Dalton. I was just putting this out here because it's in the cousin's own words, not someone quoting her. But, you're right, she doesn't state where she received that information, so, take everything with a grain of salt.

I’m new here too! But wanted to share my thoughts/theory. I suspect Mollie has been noticed in the past by her bf’s co-workers (construction). Knowing the current construction work schedule/location of her bf and his brother would be helpful for a stalker/voyeur type.
I suspect she decided to walk to her moms house (15 minutes) to get a bite to eat after her homework (she may have been dieting for upcoming wedding and skipped dinner earlier). I read somewhere there was little food in the house. She became a crime of opportunity.

Mollies bf's brother seemed upset that he had fallen under scrutiny- but scrutiny by whom? And why would this bother him? The last place Mollie could have been is in his house with his dogs- it is pretty normal for people to look at the closest people first then work outward - he has not been named a poi or anything so I guess I am not understanding what scrutiny he is facing? If it were me I could care less about whatever scrutiny I faced and just work to FIND MOLLIE- my feelings of being scrutinized would never come up as an issue-
He’s likely upset at the scrutiny he’s received from LE and possibly the media/public. If I were in his position I’d likely feel the same way. If you had nothing to do with a crime, and police are focused on you, that makes you feel that they aren’t focused on finding the actual perpetrator. Objectively though, we know that this is exactly what law enforcement has to do, treat everyone as a potential suspect.

I completely understand where you're coming from. I feel it's hard to know what to believe, because MSM is certainly a valuable source of information, especially when multiple sources report something; but, IMO, for all we know, MT's cousin could have received this information directly from Dalton. I was just putting this out here because it's in the cousin's own words, not someone quoting her. But, you're right, she doesn't state where she received that information, so, take everything with a grain of salt.
Here's a quote on this from the sheriff:
ABC: What can you tell me about the Snapchat?

Kriegel: I don’t have access to that, her boyfriend said that she sent a Snapchat to him and he opened it up around 10m on Wednesday night but that doesn’t mean that is when it was sent.
Source: Sheriff: boyfriend and brothers of Mollie Tibbetts aren't suspects

So yeah, more that's inconclusive :D

Another one:
Authorities said her boyfriend Dalton Jack received a Snapchat image from Tibbetts around 10 p.m. and that it appeared to be taken indoors.
Sadly not a direct quote, from New details emerge in case of missing University of Iowa student

Last edited:

Here is a link (snipped for space) to the video upload of the Podcast episode, if you don't have access to the Podcast. The aforementioned interaction begins at 45:23.

I have not heard this information about the SC anywhere else, so it definitely piqued my interest.

Oh my stars. Thank you for the link, and although I'm hesitant of the snapchat information, I'll give it a listen. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member