Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #9

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that is a common misconception. I see that exact same thing posted on every cold case thread on Websleuths, over and over again. If it was true, they would all be getting solved. I can't think of even one case solved with nothing more than publicity. Missy Bevers, crazy publicity, the case went 100% cold. Sherri Papini, crazy publicity, fortunately she survived but they case went cold. I could go on and on. Publicity does not solve cases. The only thing that solves cases is good detective work, either by real detectives or by internet wannabes.
All I said that it was one purpose, keeping the name of the missing in the public eye and generating publicity, helps the case. I never said that this solves it.

I could have sworn that when he was discussing the jog time he distinctly mentioned it was only for about 15 minutes. I don't remember if it was in an article or a video though, but many posters mentioned how unusual such a short jog was for someone who had a passion for it and went on a run.
One of her SM accounts had a poll she created asking if she should run a half marathon or not. When training for one, you'll have a few days a week with short runs, to recover from longer run days. These might only be 2-4 mile runs. She could feasible have run 1.5-2 miles in 15 minutes. It does seem a little bit "short," but not out of the realm of possibility, if she was following a training program for a 1/2.

This occurred almost a week ago and could not be substantiated. In many missing person’s cases, sightings like this occur. It is far more likely that this has nothing to do with this case than something to do with it.

Agreed. Even in cases when we later find out the person was long dead there will be sightings. Im sure she meant well, but the chance that it was her is exceedingly low.

Even if her “find my phone feature was off” LE has the ability to request that her phone be “pinged.” They’ve focused extensively on phone, Fitbit, and other technology based leads. They have directed searches based on this information. This will likely play a huge role in not only the search, but any subsequent legal action against any perpetrator(s).

Of course, and most people use Google Chrome, even on an iphone- who provides a dearth of information. I was just pondering on what could / would have been more accessible earlier vs later if LE has to get it instead of it being readily available.

Random abducts are rare

All I said that it was one purpose, keeping the name of the missing in the public eye and generating publicity, helps the case. I never said that this solves it.

In my opinion it's not helpful if it doesn't solve the case. The only thing it does is gives the media something to report, and us something to talk about here.

Well, this explains a number of things!
It does? Hopefully, a better link for information comes about because Radar Online is owned by the National Enquirer. At least one piece of information is wrong - it would be the intersection of 92 and Interstate 35 and not Interstate 95 (which is on the east coast of the US).

TONIGHT AUGUST 1ST 2018

@11:00 PM Eastern,

10:00 PM Central,

9:00 PM Mountain,

8:00 PM Pacific

5:00 PM for those lucky enough to live anywhere in and around Hawaii and

11:00 AM tomorrow morning in Ulaanbaatar Mongolia

the Websleuths server will be taken down for maintenance.

Websleuths will be back up in the early morning of August 2nd.

Thank you for your patience.

Tricia

Hi im new to the site. Ive been following the case and also frequent grays utube chats regarding the investigation.
Not sure if anyone here seen the strange tweet a few montjs ago mollie sent her bf but it talked of her being in a library and being approached by a cop. He told her she was wearing the same pink coat a missing 10 yr old girl had. Idk to me this seems very coincidental. I wonder if theyve questioned this cop? It wouldnt be the first time a cop could be involved. Not saying he is but i hope they looked into this.

In my opinion it's not helpful if it doesn't solve the case. The only thing it does is gives the media something to report, and us something to talk about here.
The more people hear about the case, the more likely that a tip will come in that will aid investigators. Someone who thinks they saw something insignificant, may come forward, and that information may actually prove valuable. Intense media coverage is generally helpful, which is exactly why people in Iowa with missing family members, are expressing frustration that their cases aren’t getting the publicity that this case is getting. I respectfully and strongly disagree with you.

[SNIP
A citizen reportedly she saw Mollie at Taco Bell (inside the Truck Stop).
....Chief Hatfield told Radar the officers viewed security footage taken at the truck stop. “Staff replayed security videos for the officers and no images can be obtained for a positive identify of the party.”

Chief Hatfield told Radar they contacted the local police in Tibbett’s home town in Iowa about the report. “We couldn’t find anything to substantiate the sighting.” BBM

Cops Investigate Sighting Of Missing Iowa College Student After Spotted At Truck Stop

CLICKBAIT...

Last edited:
The Missouri siting is probably nothing, just mistaken identity, but can't be ruled out 100% -- yet.

I'm new here but have been lurking since close to the beginning of Mollie's disappearance, so I just wanted to make the following observations:

Looking at various social media, I get the impression Mollie loved dogs and would most likely keep the dogs around while she was at the house, meaning it's doubtful they were in the basement at night. The basement is finished and looks really comfortable from what I've seen on SM posts.

I had seen some pictures of the inside of the house (I think they were in one of Gray Hughes' videos on YouTube) and correlated those with the ones from SM. My point being that the dogs having an accident in the basement wouldn't just be on some unfinished concrete floor -- there is carpeting and a couple of nice couches down there. To me it likely seems Mollie disappeared early in the morning at some point after she left the house to most likely IMO walk to get the car from her mother's house. That would explain the missing red shirt (yeah, I still believe that is pertinent) and the dogs in the basement.

As for the wallet, contacts and glasses at home (I'm calling her boyfriend's house "home" because it was said she practically lived there this summer), if she was going to grab the car and go to work and be at a fair all day with kids, then she'd most likely NOT take a lot of bulky items. She could've slipped her license in her pocket. When I am going places with lots of people, I either bring my wallet and put it in my front pocket, or just bring a few essential items from said wallet, e.g. license, credit card, some cash, etc. So basically what I am saying is something happened in the morning, before 7:30am (when her brother Jake sent her the text, because she didn't respond).

One other theory based on observations of SM and the area around the home:

Mollie, like a lot of people, myself included, seems to be a "seasonal tanner". Looking back at her SM, it's easy to see she has a seasonal tan, so it's not likely she goes to a tanning salon. That would leave most likely tanning in the somewhat large backyard behind her home, which happens to be right across from the electric co-op. It's possible that somebody spotted her sunbathing across the way from there.

I'm a computer programmer and I also do security consulting and troubleshooting, so my brain is constantly looking at so many minute details, so the things I've outlined here have been weighing on my mind quite a bit -- glad I could get them out in such a great community!

I'm getting Blaze Bernstein vibes from this one. A casual friend/acquaintance maybe texts (or snapchats?) her and says I'm going to stop by, maybe to drop something off, run outside it'll just be a minute. She leaves glasses/contacts expecting a quick interaction, but brings her phone maybe to see when said person is going to come, or just out of habit. Then she's taken away outside the house, hence no DNA or anything in the house. Maybe the dogs bark when someone pulls up in a car so she stuck them downstairs.

This is my first post and I’m not sure if this makes sense, but could she have been ordering food on her iPhone on the night of July 18th? Maybe a delivery person would have taken her. It probably sounds ridiculous, but the idea has been in the back of my head for a few days now.

I’ve been following this case for a while now, and I wish we knew more information. I’m hoping that Mollie is safe, but I’m very worried at this point.

Welcome! That's a super good thought actually.

This is from the U.K. :

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thesun.co.uk/news/6055183/delivery-drivers-rape-claims/amp/

These are from the US:

Pizza delivery boy rapes woman in Manhattan apartment: police - NY Daily News

Magazine Delivery Man Charged With Rape, Indecent Assault

Uber sued by female passengers alleging driver rape, violence

It could be easy to track though via her phone records. If she called a driver and the company has a record of someone being sent out...

I'm getting Blaze Bernstein vibes from this one. A casual friend/acquaintance maybe texts (or snapchats?) her and says I'm going to stop by, maybe to drop something off, run outside it'll just be a minute. She leaves glasses/contacts expecting a quick interaction, but brings her phone maybe to see when said person is going to come, or just out of habit. Then she's taken away outside the house, hence no DNA or anything in the house. Maybe the dogs bark when someone pulls up in a car so she stuck them downstairs.
Social media, especially Snapchat and text messages, played a huge role in that case. That type of information will be huge here, especially if she knew the perpetrator.

So, nothing knew. How tragic for her loved ones. They are in complete shock and panic. My heart goes out to them all. Yes, someone knows what happened to Mollie, but isn't coming forward because they are a coward. Sickening. Speak up for Pete's sake.

Dad used the past tense when speaking of her, I think he knows that the probabilities for a good outcome are not great. Poor man, his suffering is tremendous. I could just cry for them all.

However, there is always a chance that she is being held against her will in a shipping container on someone's remote property. That has happened before and the woman was found, alive. So, maybe everyone should start voluntarily letting other people search their out buildings. And, the ones who won't volunteer, send drones to look at what's going on. This is stuff citizens can do. Get nosy.

She didn't voluntarily walk away from her life. Someone disappeared her.

Ladies, PLEASE stop jogging alone. PLEASE. Weirdos are watching.

Last edited:
Well, I kind of agree with you. But this isn't about them, it's about Mollie. So they need to put their immediate focus on her, not on how their being treated. <modsnipped> I wish the brother of the boyfriend, and the boyfriend both, would just keep quiet. I'd be hard pressed to do an interview if my wife went missing regardless of my implication or actual and perceived guilt.<modsnipped> Someone she knows is responsible. This isn't some transient passer-by that got lucky and decided to live out his dark sick fantasies. Nope. This is someone familiar with Mollie, her movements, and her surroundings. Which brings me to the conclusion, she is dead. Additionally, I find it weird you guys all say things like "law enforcement believes shes alive." Until they have any indication to believe otherwise, why would they publicly diminish the hope of family, friends, and everyone watching by admitting what is probably grimly a reality, that she didn't survive the first 48. They aren't just going to come out and say things like that however.<modsnipped> Which that is a double-edged sword in itself. Damned if you do damned if you dont. You want to get the word out, <modsnipped>

<modsnipped against TOS>

I’ve been scouring social media and it’s apparent that the boyfriend and his family have a point. They are getting creamed by a suspicious public. There are dozens and dozens of posts that I have come across, accusing these people. This is despite LE saying that they have ruled them out.

Last edited by a moderator:
It does? Hopefully, a better link for information comes about because Radar Online is owned by the National Enquirer. At least one piece of information is wrong - it would be the intersection of 92 and Interstate 35 and not Interstate 95 (which is on the east coast of the US).

Yes, it does to me. Although the tip wasn't fruitful, the comments the family has made are more understandable to me. And, I don't think I've seen many articles in regard to this case yet that have been 100% accurate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
telecrushxx