Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks.

It's still interesting to me if he got on a plane that quickly that he was there on the 20th. I know it's alarming to hear your daughter didn't show up to work, but I don't think my parents would immediately hop on a cross country flight unless they had another reason to be very concerned to hear that news. Getting from the Bay Area to Brooklyn, IA, isn't really an easy trip, either. You probably need to connect, and/or then rent a car/get a ride to Brooklyn.

Given that she talked to her dad so much, and that he came right away, and that he keeps saying stuff about who was in town or coming forward with clues, I'm hoping he has more information than is able to be shared right now. Or, maybe he's just a very concerned father who hopped on a plane immediately after hearing that. Again, we know very little about how their family operated, but she did seem quite close with her father.
That doesn't seem odd to me. He knew no one had been in contact with her since 7:30 pm on the 18th. He knew the SC message came in at 10pm but not when it was sent. There has probably never been a time in her entire life where no one knew where she was for 24+hours. By The 20th it was a minimum of 36 hours. That would freak me out.
It's not just that her phone was off, texts weren't answered. She wasn't where she was supposed to be, wasn't at Dalton's, wasn't at her mom's. Huge amount of red flags by 5pm the 19th when they contacted police.

Here is what I find most interesting. 1) The dogs were still in the basement which is where she would put them when she left the house. If she was randomly abducted while at home, they would have been up and about. 2) It sounded like she probably intended to go to her Moms for dinner but never made it or called for a ride.

That kind of gives me the impression that a known person was at or came to the house and when she said she had to leave they offered her a ride. She put the dogs in the basement, and went "willingly" with said person and left her things because she was just going to her Moms and back but obviously this person took her somewhere else...

Just a thought.

I have always thought the person who was to drive Mollie to work that day might hold the answers. JMO. That person was never mentioned in any of the MSM articles.

I have always thought the person who was to drive Mollie to work that day might hold the answers. JMO. That person was never mentioned in any of the MSM articles.

I'm guessing they don't know who it is? Or maybe LE does and they are just trying to build a case. There would have to be some kind of record of communication from the phone company.

Could it be possible that there were signs of a struggle at the home, and LE aren't releasing this information because they want to withhold certain info that could be a smoking gun when they find the suspect?
I know it's been mentioned that the dogs were in the basement... is this confirmed? Could she have put them down there before going to bed and the house was intruded while she was asleep? Could explain her lack of wearing her glasses or contacts and without all her personal items. Just some thoughts. I can't imagine her getting in the car with someone she knew either that evening or in the morning without fully getting ready.

Mother Of Missing Iowa Woman Speaks Out

"To the best of my knowledge, I believe she did make it home from the run and was in Dalton's home."

The family says evidence shows Tibbetts was doing homework on her computer after her jog that night. Authorities won't confirm or deny that -- saying they don't want to reveal too much.

"The first night she went missing I was distraught. I knew her phone was dead, but I sent her a text saying i love you, we're looking for you, we will find you no matter what," Calderwood said.

interesting!

Could it be possible that there were signs of a struggle at the home, and LE aren't releasing this information because they want to withhold certain info that could be a smoking gun when they find the suspect?
I know it's been mentioned that the dogs were in the basement... is this confirmed? Could she have put them down there before going to bed and the house was intruded while she was asleep? Could explain her lack of wearing her glasses or contacts and without all her personal items. Just some thoughts. I can't imagine her getting in the car with someone she knew either that evening or in the morning without fully getting ready.

Basically I got the feeling from the presser that anything could be true or false and they won’t confirm or deny any of it. So I’d say it would be fair to think that it is possible that there were actually signs of a struggle.

Gentle suggestion to check the media thread to see if somebody has already posted an article. Seeing a ton of duplicates.

IA - MEDIA, MAPS & TIMELINES - NO DISCUSSION - Molly Tibbetts,20, Poweshiek County
Articles can be posted at both places (discussion and media thread). The media thread is to keep them all in one place for easy reference long after the fact. I can go to the Caylee Anthony media thread and look at articles today instead of having to hunt through the hundreds of threads.

“One avenue of thought is that if it wasn’t a struggle, and we have found no signs of a struggle, then maybe it was someone she was familiar with,” Mortvedt explains. Boyfriend Ruled Out as Suspect in Iowa Student's Disappearance — as Police Search Pig Farm

The dogs were in the basement, where they were kept when nobody was home. Mollie Tibbetts searchers get Fitbit information

Quote from AnnoCatuli (I can't quote/reply to this as it is in closed thread so I brought it over)

"The latest PC and the complete lack of urgency from LE seemed striking to me. I would agree with most that 85% of it was them patting themselves on the back. We get you are working hard but you cannot say in one breath that you want/need the public's help, yet give us no relevant facts, time line, etc. It is like a math teacher expecting you to answer an equation correctly when you can only see half of it. So this leads to everyone over trying and over thinking which than creates rumors and questions which they seemed now annoyed of. I cannot recall the statement specifically but LE at one point seem to imply that the public and media simply want details of the investigation...yes we do but to help not because we find this amusing. This is a tragic story regardless of what happened. I am all for protecting a case in court but at what expense and what could you potentially lose in the process of sharing nothing of substance?"

YES! YES! YES! THIS!

"I hope I am wrong but LE seems a bit lost to me. The PC seemed like complete amateur hour with the written word for word statements to being a bit unsure and confused on how to answer some questions. If I am LE going into a PC, you will walk through all the logical questions that will be asked and be versed and well spoken in your answers. The long pause when asking if the public was in danger REALLY threw me off. That would be one of the first questions that likely would be discussed amongst LE before the PC. When you come off as unsure, taken back, or lost in how you want the answer a question...that is not a tactic that is simply lack of prep."

YES! TOTALLY AGREE!

I am appalled at that so-called PC. Are they serious? Not releasing a timeline is doing Mollie no favors IMO. Imagine if you were passing thru town at the EXACT time that LE has said they have narrowed down the time to when she was taken. You would THINK then..you would think of everything you saw, heard, etc. at that time. You could be the person that saw something. Now, imagine you were passing thru, heard vaguely that some girl went missing in the town you were in, but no further details, particularly the time. You would think, "Oh, that's awful," and then go about your business and life, never sharing any info. You are not invested. Lack of information distances you from identifying with the crime.
How can they pat themselves on the back when their one and only goal at this time (finding Mollie) has NOT been achieved? I don't care how many tips they have to sift thru. That's their job. From the local sheriff and BCI waiting 6 days to call in the Feds and get cell phone/fitbit info to this cluster of a PC, I am appalled and very sad for Mollie and her family.

Maybe they are *purposely* wanting to come across an inept? I highly doubt they really are. Time will tell. Prayers for Mollie.

Quote from AnnoCatuli (I can't quote/reply to this as it is in closed thread so I brought it over)

"The latest PC and the complete lack of urgency from LE seemed striking to me. I would agree with most that 85% of it was them patting themselves on the back. We get you are working hard but you cannot say in one breath that you want/need the public's help, yet give us no relevant facts, time line, etc. It is like a math teacher expecting you to answer an equation correctly when you can only see half of it. So this leads to everyone over trying and over thinking which than creates rumors and questions which they seemed now annoyed of. I cannot recall the statement specifically but LE at one point seem to imply that the public and media simply want details of the investigation...yes we do but to help not because we find this amusing. This is a tragic story regardless of what happened. I am all for protecting a case in court but at what expense and what could you potentially lose in the process of sharing nothing of substance?"

YES! YES! YES! THIS!

"I hope I am wrong but LE seems a bit lost to me. The PC seemed like complete amateur hour with the written word for word statements to being a bit unsure and confused on how to answer some questions. If I am LE going into a PC, you will walk through all the logical questions that will be asked and be versed and well spoken in your answers. The long pause when asking if the public was in danger REALLY threw me off. That would be one of the first questions that likely would be discussed amongst LE before the PC. When you come off as unsure, taken back, or lost in how you want the answer a question...that is not a tactic that is simply lack of prep."

YES! TOTALLY AGREE!

I am appalled at that so-called PC. Are they serious? Not releasing a timeline is doing Mollie no favors IMO. Imagine if you were passing thru town at the EXACT time that LE has said they have narrowed down the time to when she was taken. You would THINK then..you would think of everything you saw, heard, etc. at that time. You could be the person that saw something. Now, imagine you were passing thru, heard vaguely that some girl went missing in the town you were in, but no further details, particularly the time. You would think, "Oh, that's awful," and then go about your business and life, never sharing any info. You are not invested. Lack of information distances you from identifying with the crime.
How can they pat themselves on the back when their one and only goal at this time (finding Mollie) has NOT been achieved? I don't care how many tips they have to sift thru. That's their job. From the local sheriff and BCI waiting 6 days to call in the Feds and get cell phone/fitbit info to this cluster of a PC, I am appalled and very sad for Mollie and her family.

I believe the PC is part of the 'game' IMO they know or have suspicions as to who has/had her and are building a case. I don't think they know where Mollie is but I do believe they have an idea what's happened to her. I really believe she's come to harm unfortunately and are watching someone closely waiting for them to slip up. they seemed awful uncomfortable doing the PC and I think that's because they know she's no longer with us but need to make it seem they are none the wiser for now. I hope I'm wrong but I think we're in for a surprise. the police can tell the public anything they want, true or untrue to help the investigation. MOO

Took a brief time out from this after watching the PC yesterday twice. I honestly wasn't expecting the release of new information in the PC so was not surprised in the least on that front (PC IMO was totally consisent with LE strategy to date). What did shock me though was to see such experienced agents (60+ years of collective LE experience from 3 speakers) from various agencies go up to the podium and READ THEIR STATEMENTS. Body language of a couple of the speakers looked less than relaxed too which I found odd as these are career professional LE folks. The messages to the public yesterday were so tightly crafted that they didn't want any of the speakers off message or falling off the rails. I don't want to overthink too much about the PC but everything was so vague on even public details of the case that it was as if they just want to buy some time for some unknown reason. The hammering home of the resources that have been deployed in the search seemed like the might have been a message BOTH to the public AND any POI.

At this point based on public information and PC, I'm not sure many conclusions can be drawn other than the 18th is the critical date vs 19th according to LE (family comments made in MSM seem to confirm this as well). But, I am also not sure whether this focus on the 18th is 'real' or a 'red herring' based on any potential POI they could be tracking. LE clearly has a working timeline and clear cut strategy, so I hope and pray that it is sufficient to bring MT home!

The other thing that gave me pause was LE inability to coherently answer the basic question regarding public safety. It seemed strange that the speakers read from statements but then hadn't seemingly taken enough time to game plan possible/probable audience questions? This inconsisentency in what I thought was preparation totally baffled me until I wondered whether a) LE sadly doesn't have an answer to the question at this point about public safety or b) they hadn't expected such a basic question and were unprepared or c) the seemingly bumbling answer was as carefully scripted as the reading of the statements or possibly another message to a potential POI?

I continue to scratch my head at this point in the case but have to wonder whether MT did leave home voluntarily with someone she knew/trusted or met online and things went south? The entire 'getting to know Mollie' line of statements in the PC had me wondering greatly too!? The last time I can recall LE strategy along the lines that I saw yesterday in PC was for a kidnapping where they were in contact with kidnapper and negotiating which I hope and pray is not what is going on here. Will tune into the next PC and continue to follow the case.

Is anyone else baffled by comments of family, BF family and witnesses made to MSM? I realize LE cannot muzzle everyone that has touched this case but what appear to be key facts are being released by family etc. and not LE. I wonder at what point there might be a parting of the ways between the family and LE? Given the time that has passed with no results I wonder if we might be close to a breakup, especially if the family has hired a PI. The BF family statement to the press about scrutiny also seemed odd yesteray/day before but could have been the result of what must be huge stress from the case on the family, especially given the wedding timing.

Still have more questions than answers. I hope that Mollie follows what her father said and does in fact, 'Come Home'!

Last edited by a moderator:
When i first heard about this case early on, I saw the media and others posting about her clothes and saying she went missing while on a run. I wonder why they said that and why they changed from that to saying she went missing after her run? Hadn't her boyfriend already mentioned the snapchat or was the media confused or maybe they hadnt had a chance to interview him or what? I also know when I am done with a run or exercising, I take my sweaty gym clothes off. It is disgusting to sit in them, swampy. I in fact have certain gym outfits I change into before working out and take off right after. If I were to go to dinner at Moms, I definately would likely shower then switch into clothes. Which also leads me to wonder what happened to her eating brats at Moms? So she went on a run or was supposed to, then was supposed to go eat brats (?), didnt eat at Moms, instead did she reply about that?, then did homework? Am I getting this right? And she was supposed to get her family shared car the next day? Or when? How does she get to work, if boyfriends brother and boyfriend are gone? I truly thought she was kidnapped while running then all this other conflicting info came out about her having been home. Was the home ever treated like crime scene with tape? I also am curious why her loved ones believe she went missing night of. Did she stop answering then? I feel stopping answering isnt enough to be that concerned, as people fall asleep late at night, especially while doing boring and tedious homework. Obviously they were concerned when she didnt show up for work. But how did they know she went missing night of?

My other thought is obviously they thought foul play was involved from the very beginning or atleast treated it that way, I wonder why. How has this police dept treated other missing persons cases from day one? Do they tend to treat others different, or case by case basis?

Also, I could understand why she would not wear glasses on a run. Your glasses slide down your nose while sweating and bounce while running. If she only needed them for reading, then of course she wouldnt need them while running. Also, I have poor vision, mainly bad far away. I actually never wear my glasses unless I am driving. In all her photos, she isnt wearing them. Perhaps she wears contacts or her visions barely bad. I do know if my vision was bad and I wore them daily, I wouldn't take glasses/contacts off until I was ready for bed. I would wear them for homework. My sister wears contacts until she gets home and then she switches to glasses or nothing (depending on if she is reading). I guess it is a looks concern. Some women I think just dont like how they look in glasses. I am only stating such about the glasses because people discussed it early on. So, i dont think *if* Mollie was meeting with someone, she would put on her glasses. It doesnt appear she wore them regularly based on photos. If her contacts were at home, then she wasnt planning on needing them, or else didnt wear those regularly, either. Does anyone have actual links that show what was left at home for sure? If her wallet etc. was at home, then she probably answered the door or stepped outside or went on an errand for a moment and wasnt planning on being gone for long. This of course is assuming foul play..

This case is a bit confusing to me with all the details changing. Just saying. I hope and pray closures reached soon.

Last edited:
There are so many posts, I haven't been able to read them all. Please excuse me if this is redundant! Are either of these things related to Mollie's case or are they even related to each other? Opinion only, of course!

The guy taking pics of Dubuque joggers?
The guy who tried to grab a Dubuque jogger but she fought him off?

IMHO
We don't know if they are related. Dubuque LE supposedly forwarded the info on their case to MT LE team according to what I read yesterday in MSM.

I meant more the times when the same article gets posted multiple times in succession, just the same link again and again. But ok, if others like that then I’ll just scroll on by.

I'm with you on this. Very frustrating to try to keep up on a fast-moving thread when the same articles are posted over and over and over. It's all in the media thread, folks. All you have to do is look there before posting, "I don't know if this has been posted..." But whatever... :rolleyes:

ETA: IA - MEDIA, MAPS & TIMELINES - NO DISCUSSION - Molly Tibbetts,20, Poweshiek County

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Missing-CC