Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 *Arrest* #34

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If I can't post this please remove. Maybe a local can confirm, but Google produces two locations for Yarrabee farms (one in town and one at the farm south of town). The one shown in town is right down the street from the Jack's residence and would have probably been in sight of her running south.

Google Maps

I want to thank Tricia for shutting the thread down for a bit, it allowed me to listen to the podcast and catch up as I cleaned my kitchen :)

Part of me wishes the LE had informed the public about the surveillance video they had of him driving by her as she ran and with info about the car (black Chevy malibu) so that the public could help. But I wondered if they thought that may spook the suspect to leave. All in all, this is just sad.

life in prison if convicted- he is young - that could be 50 years- just not punishment enough for taking a bright light out of this world- he can learn languages, find religion, get an education, medical treatment- and Mollie... she gets nothing--- may she RIP- so disturbed that the last thing she saw on earth was pure evil

Last edited:
These sentences say incredible things about Molly and the hearts of the investigating agency.

Rahn said he met with the parents and other relatives of Tibbetts to inform them of the arrest Tuesday. He told them that the investigation revealed that they had "raised a great daughter."

"We got to know Mollie," he said. "She was a phenomenal individual."
Yarrabee Farms: Suspect in Mollie Tibbetts murder was employee in good standing

Is this thread going to be shut down? I only see one
I listened to the Websleuths Podcast this evening.

Very interesting points were made.

I highly recommend listening to these podcasts. I always learn something from them.
It was also nice to get to know Tricia a bit. Thank you for keeping this forum safe for all of us.

First, I absolutely do not post this with any victim blaming in mind. But, as a runner myself, I know how jarring this kind of story can be. If you, too, are a runner and find yourself worrying about your safety or thinking about how you could protect yourself, I'm putting some safety items below. Disclaimer: I haven't used any of these other than the Garmin tracking. I live in an urban area and I run by myself on a very popular trail. These have been recommended to me by other runners in the past. Thinking I may want one of these before the days get shorter and darker...

Would any of these have helped Mollie? I don't know. None of us might ever fully know what happened and if she had any chance of truly stopping him. But unfortunately, she's not the last female runner who will have a negative encounter, so here are some items that may help deter a future incident.

Just my opinion of course. No sponsorships or ties to any of these items.

3-in-1 Runner pepper spray with adjustable hand strap: 3-IN-1 Runner Pepper Spray with Adjustable Hand Strap | SABRE

Runner alarm: https://www.amazon.com/SABRE-Runner-Personal-Alarm-Weather-Resistant/dp/B01AZ37LAI

Garmin live tracking: Use Garmin LiveTrack to Track Activities in Real Time - Garmin Blog

Strava Beacon live tracking: Strava Beacon (Summit)

Tiger lady self defense tool: Women's Self Defense - Natural scratching tool for women's safety

Go Guarded self defense ring: Go Guarded | Self Defense for Women

Shoe self defense tool:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ETPGP3S//ref=cm_sw_su_dp?&tag=hobbr-20

Millhouse, I don't jog but thanks for all this information. I can relay it to someone who DOES jog, and maybe at least someone's else's life will be saved if need be.

I am curious if he had been under surveillance, or what LE found on her facebook messages. We know that his ex was FB friends with all the Tibbetts, including Mollie. I have been wondering if this wasn't the first time he had bothered her, tried to flirt. etc.

JMO

Yes again I believe it was a blitz attack. I don't believe his words. There was no exchange of words. He stalked her in his car. Got out and poor Mollie did not see/hear what was to come.

So he just got angry that she was "threatening" to call police? I mean just back off and move on...I just don't get it.
I think he made that story up. He had an entire month to make up something to explain what he did. I think him saying he felt threatened by her calling the police because he was here illegally might get him some sympathy.
I think it was a SA plain and simple. I think he was determined to have his way, and I'm sure Mollie fought back as well as she could.

I am curious if he had been under surveillance, or what LE found on her facebook messages. We know that his ex was FB friends with all the Tibbetts, including Mollie. I have been wondering if this wasn't the first time he had bothered her, tried to flirt. etc.

JMO
It seems that he was only identified yesterday, so if there was any surveillance, it was to facilitate getting him to come for an interview.

I want to thank Tricia for shutting the thread down for a bit, it allowed me to listen to the podcast and catch up as I cleaned my kitchen :)

Part of me wishes the LE had informed the public about the surveillance video they had of him driving by her as she ran and with info about the car (black Chevy malibu) so that the public could help. But I wondered if they thought that may spook the suspect to leave. All in all, this is just sad.

joijoi12, exactly. If they had released any of the information I DO think they were thinking it would spook him to the point he would leave town or something. I am glad now that they didn't relay everything to the public (I knew they were holding stuff back and for a good reason) so they didn't compromise the investigation. Thank goodness they got him.

I think he made that story up. He had an entire month to make up something to explain what he did. I think him saying he felt threatened by her calling the police because he was here illegally might get him some sympathy.
I think it was a SA plain and simple. I think he was determined to have his way, and I'm sure Mollie fought back as well as she could.
She may have threatened to call the police, but it likely had no bearing on what he was going to do. It’s an excuse, made after the fact. I can’t wait to hear him explain the “blackout rape,” if an autopsy is somehow able to show sexual contact.

While the thread was closed down, I looked up the intersection of Boundary/Middle Rd on Google Maps and also the 1900 block of 385th where they said this abduction happened. Definitely very remote-looking (I couldn't get a street view of 385th but it looked like not many houses around).

My first question was going to be: He said he parked the car and got out and started running with her, so apparently he left his car behind and would have had to incapacitate her and either drag her back to his car or leave her on the road until he got his car, right? I was surprised with that amount of time that no one would have seen anything, but out on that road, I can believe it now.

My second question is, was this a regular running route for her? I guess I was wondering if he started following her and instead of running back towards him/his car, she just kept going farther and farther out of town hoping to lose him/that he would lose interest. Of course, it looks like only a couple miles from DJ's house, so it could very well have been a regular running route.

Thank you, Harmony 2.
We are better than that, and we need to think about Mollie -- who is at peace now -- and her sweet, caring family. I'm glad they all have each other at this time. This little town will probably never get over this, either. I'm sure they are angry and very sad at the same time. This should draw them all together as the small caring town that they are.

We here at WS will do our best to be above all of the topics which will not help anyone or improve anything. We can still learn from this -- to be observant and careful and to remember that we are only given one day at a time.

And thank you for helping us on these many threads. I can't imagine the hours it took you and others to help all of us here.
xo

“Rivera then panicked and he got mad and he 'blocked' his memory which is what he does when he gets very upset”

So, he’s acknowledged having black outs due to extreme anger previously. If I were an investigator, I’d be exploring what other things may have may have occurred as results of these “episodes” now that he opened the door.

Last edited:

That makes sense. And you are right, I really don't believe his words.

life in prison if convicted- he is young - that could be 50 years- just not punishment enough for taking a bright light out of this world- he can learn languages, find religion, get an education, medical treatment- and Mollie... she gets nothing--- may she RIP- so disturbed that the last thing she saw on earth was pure evil
I'm sure LE can think of some things to tack onto the murder charge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member