IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 *Arrest* #36

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Premeditation can happen in an instance. It just means it was intentional. It doesn't have to be planned weeks in advance. If he stopped the car, got out, chased her down, attacked her, and killed her, he's doing intentional actions that result in her murder. At any point he could have stopped - not stopped the car, not got out of the car, not chased her down, not attacked her, not murdered her.

Also these are just the preliminary charges. The prosecution can add additional charges during their investigation, or instruct the jury at trial to consider lesser included charges. We will see what the evidence says.
Thank you, yes, that's my understanding. I just hope there are no compromises on charges and that what he did has commensurate consequences.

He was on the prowl.

jmo

I know this makes me seem trite. I was just looking on a main news web page and they keep slapping up/posting the alleged killer's photo right beside Mollie's. I mean, right beside it over and over. Give the woman some respect, media

Could not agree more with both posts.

disgusting

(to be clear, i do think it's a good thing that defense attorneys exist and they are necessary for the integrity of our justice system. and i'm not knocking defense attorneys as a whole. but wow @ seizing a case because you could get a personal gain from it. just wow)
MANY, many lawyers take cases for personal gain.

First, that's how they earn a living in the first place, as you know.

And, second, that's how they move ahead in their career. Just like any career, taking on a high-profile and tough assignment gets attention. Want to move ahead in your job, do something to get noticed.

jmopinion

We have the absolute right to know how taxpayer dollars are spent.

Whether that be directly through a court appointed lawyer, or any type of agency that receives funding using taxpayer dollars.

Ethnic Organizations in Iowa - Refugee Assistance Organizations - Iowa International Center

Yeah, but who says that taxpayer dollars are paying for the defence team? Is it still your right to know if private family, immigrant rights groups, anti-death penalty groups, or narcotrafficing syndicate/meth money is paying for the defence? If the last, maybe that is why the current attorney reminds me of "Better call Saul"?

He was on the prowl.

jmo

No matter how many of these cases I read about, or follow, it never ceases to amaze me that there are people out there who consciously make a decision to do something like this. They know it's wrong legally, they know it's wrong morally, and they have to know there is a high percentage chance they will get caught. And, yet, they still do it.

About the cornfield. Every Halloween a couple farmers that grow corn around me have a Halloween maze that runs through the cornfields. They sell pumpkins, cornstalks, apple pies etc. Now they are not gigantic and after looking at the video of Brooklyn's cornfields they are of a smaller size. People get lost in them every year.....lol They have a route planned out and they still get lost, plus by then the stalks are no longer green but brown and dry and after the Halloween event they are mowed down.
I can honestly see how she could have been missed. Except for one thing. The smell. It is summer and would not have taken long for the smell to inhabit the area.

Agreed. Cornfields are very dense and hard to search.

We had a rabbit die just under our deck, and the odor was horrible. Luckily, DH grew up an a farm and can handle stuff like that. Poor Molly was much larger than a rabbit.

Not sure what you're getting at, but have you ever stood 60 feet into a corn field in mid July when the corn is 7' tall? You might as well be miles and miles in. Any more than about 10 feet in, maybe a little less even, and you lose all perspective as to how far it is to the edge of the field.
Truth. It’s impossible to see in past a few rows.

She was smart, but we shouldn't idealize her, and even if we were a close family member, we don't know how she would have reacted. People can do strange things, under stress. Or maybe her music was on loud, and she never noticed him.

I'm not idealizing her and I don't think others are either. It's simply my opinion and I don't believe a word of his story. He had a month to put it together.

True, maybe she never even noticed he was circling.

Runners nationwide hit pavement in memory of Mollie Tibbetts

DES MOINES, Iowa (KCCI) —

People are running and sharing their journeys.

"Any time you can take a positive message and overrun the trolls out there who have something negative to say, that's a good thing," Des Moines police Sgt. Paul Parizek said.

Runners are using the hashtag #MilesForMollie across social media, dedicating each mile they run to Mollie Tibbetts and others lost.

#milesformollie hashtag on Twitter

The article shared back a page explains they are heavily looking into his past.

No, it says they're looking "more deeply into his background", not "into his deep background". They're just trying to figure out if this crime was premeditated. I don't believe that they'd have any reason to investigate his childhood in Mexico.

Des Moines Register Article said:
Now that Rivera has been identified and charged with a crime, Mortvedt said investigators will dig more deeply into his background, including social media, contacts in the area and his work and criminal history.

My best guess, worth exactly what you paid for it, is that the attorney is doing it for the publicity.

I'm almost certain this is what's going on. Think of it this way: you are a no-name criminal lawyer in small-town Iowa. You don't work at a prominent firm, you aren't representing major companies or celebrities. You are not an academic consulting as an expert in major trials. You are not a former prosecutor with media-savvy serving as a talking head on TV. You don't have a resume or CV that's going to impress anyone.

How do you raise your profile? You take a case in the national spotlight! Your name is printed for the first time in major media outlets. Your name is said on TV. You can't pay for that type of marketing. Even if he does a bad job, when someone in Iowa needs a lawyer they may remember his name. If he does a good job, look at Jose Baez. It's likely this lawyer is not making that much money anyway where the potential opportunity is way greater than the small amount he'll give up by taking the case pro bono.

I am a big fan of pro bono work so I do have to chime in that most lawyers and law firms focus their pro bono work on causes and helping the less fortunate. Major cases for religious rights, the right to marry, etc., on all sides of the political spectrum are usually taken up by very accomplished lawyers completely pro bono. I have done work helping disabled vets receive benefits, children with disabilities receive needed accommodations at school, etc. I don't want to seem like I'm casting shade on true pro bono work. I just think there's a difference doing something to help someone and doing it for free national publicity.

Yes. The really interesting part is the video has him driving by 2 or 3 times. So clearly, he was passing her and making sure she was alone and secluded.

This is a common tactic. I've been followed countless times. The most memorable I was walking home from work at midnight downtown Ottawa towards my little subdivision. A car slowed and passed me, made a right and left. A few minutes later, the same car slowed, passed me and made a right. The third time it happened, after the car turned I ran down a street not mine and hid. I watched through the back yard and saw the car slow right down again, stop for a minute then speed off. No doubt they were going to try and grab me.

This is very true. I believe he was following her to make sure nobody would see what he was about to do. I have been followed myself, and it was terrifying. I came home and my bus got into town at 2 a.m. my ride forgot and I had to walk home. Its about a 30 minute walk. My phone was dead too. I walked on a busy street and saw a car turning onto another street. The same car pulled into a large parking lot and waited. It wasnt until I walked passed that it pulled out of thr parking lot. The car then was keeping up with me. I sprinted to the nearest gas station, the car kept passing by. I don't know what the outcome would have been had I not sprinted to that gas station. It's scary to think that these people are brave enough to just follow someone not caring about anything else. It's sickening.

Yes. The really interesting part is the video has him driving by 2 or 3 times. So clearly, he was passing her and making sure she was alone and secluded.

This is a common tactic. I've been followed countless times. The most memorable I was walking home from work at midnight downtown Ottawa towards my little subdivision. A car slowed and passed me, made a right and left. A few minutes later, the same car slowed, passed me and made a right. The third time it happened, after the car turned I ran down a street not mine and hid. I watched through the back yard and saw the car slow right down again, stop for a minute then speed off. No doubt they were going to try and grab me.
There are at least 2 local women thus far that have described CR as well spoken, and have had friendly conversations with him. He was deemed OK until he shows up near them in a vehicle, and totally creeps them out. CR is obviously very smooth, and knew to befriend his prey first. I believe Mollie knew him, and he did the same to her. MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member