Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
**********GROSSOUT WARNING****************

I can share what little I know. In general, the hotter the ambient temp, the faster the rate of decomp. Iowa summers can get pretty hot. I think earlier mention about mild climate there may have been talking about later in the year, not the summers. By 5 weeks, there might be some really good ongoing liquification (MOO), but the shade and coolness between the rows and under leaf/stalk clutter could slow that down some.

Insect activity comes in waves, and the players change as time passes. Insect activity also can increase body temp, to the point that it can be detected on infrared. Also, the higher the ambient temp, in general, the more insect activity. Bugs might like it in the shade, under leaf clutter.

The effect of stab wounds depends on where. Penetrating abdominal wounds that perforate the gut (small intestine especially) will release gut bacteria and possibly speed up decomp (again, MOO), and will help to slowly release gases associated with putrafication (the breakdown of proteins) and decrease bloat. I think that liquification is associated more with fatty tissues and internal organs. The fatter the corpse, the bigger the soup; the more soup the more liquid substrate for bacterial growth. If you cut up and lacerate the liver and pancreas, those enzymes released into the abdomen should speed up decomp. Any stab wound (the bigger the better) will allow increased insect egress into the body and thereby increase rate of decomp, especially by allowing for increased internal maggot activity (I think). By the way maggots only eat dead flesh, they were meant for this.
:( Poor Mollie

His attorney is off his nut. I’ll post a link later.

Gotta love him though! Hope he does not give CR grounds for an incompetent defense appeal. I hope that some outside money, as high profile as this case is, comes in and gives CR a better defense team to make sure the prosecution sticks!

The affidavit had the time of incident lasting about 45 minutes so I think they know when her heart stopped because of the fitbit.

I think he was just hoping she was alive, which is completely understandable considering the circumstances.

LE said he wasn't even on there radar until after the video so who knows, maybe before that they had another main suspect in mind and thought maybe he was holding her.
Oh I forgot about the fitbit showing her heart beat.
"The affidavit had the time of incident lasting about 45 minutes so I think they know when her heart stopped because of the fitbit."

What???? Why would they want to do that? Just random garbage? Well then why wouldn't they systematically do that on trash day on every street in America?

Every house in America isn't a boarding house for illegal workers using fake IDs harboring a murder suspect for three weeks. And LE does actually wait around and collect trash in investigations all the time. It is considered discarded and not subject to search and seizure protections.

His story claims that the headphones were still on her when he opened the trunk. That to me at least makes me think he smacked her in the head with something that either knocked her out or killed her. If there was any kind of struggle the headphones would have probably flew off in the struggle.
I'm pretty sure I read that he blocked some things out and when he came to there was earbuds on his lap. They can't be both on his lap and still on her when he opened the trunk.

**********GROSSOUT WARNING****************

I can share what little I know. In general, the hotter the ambient temp, the faster the rate of decomp. Iowa summers can get pretty hot. I think earlier mention about mild climate there may have been talking about later in the year, not the summers. By 5 weeks, there might be some really good ongoing liquification (MOO), but the shade and coolness between the rows and under leaf/stalk clutter could slow that down some.

Insect activity comes in waves, and the players change as time passes. Insect activity also can increase body temp, to the point that it can be detected on infrared. Also, the higher the ambient temp, in general, the more insect activity. Bugs might like it in the shade, under leaf clutter.

The effect of stab wounds depends on where. Penetrating abdominal wounds that perforate the gut (small intestine especially) will release gut bacteria and possibly speed up decomp (again, MOO), and will help to slowly release gases associated with putrafication (the breakdown of proteins) and decrease bloat. I think that liquification is associated more with fatty tissues and internal organs. The fatter the corpse, the bigger the soup; the more soup the more liquid substrate for bacterial growth. If you cut up and lacerate the liver and pancreas, those enzymes released into the abdomen should speed up decomp. Any stab wound (the bigger the better) will allow increased insect egress into the body and thereby increase rate of decomp, especially by allowing for increased internal maggot activity (I think). By the way maggots only eat dead flesh, they were meant for this.
Thank you, that's exactly what I was looking for. I would think the body would be well into stage 3, maybe even near stage 4. I have a huge amount of respect for the people who do this job. I don't know why people were complaining about the coroner taking 3 hours to go to the scene. They have to be meticulous to preserve the evidence, making it a long process, I would imagine.

Back to Mollie.......
I'm so glad they caught her killer. He could have been anyone of any race. He is just a guy with a sick mind who decided to murder Mollie. Criminal sick minds that can viciously attack another human being are in all kinds of places all over the world. Rivera has been caught, thank goodness. He will pay to the greatest extent of the law.

Gotta love him though! Hope he does not give CR grounds for an incompetent defense appeal. I hope that some outside money, as high profile as this case is, comes in and gives CR a better defense team to make sure the prosecution sticks!
CR could have the best attorney money can buy and it won't help his client because there is sufficient evidence to convict. The perp confessed and led LE to her body. There is data, video, the autopsy. I'm confident he will get a fair trial but I'm hoping he enters a guilty plea.

I think he may have held her and then placed her in the field after she had died. I still think she was in the field by WC farm to try to implicate him. JMOO
Maybe he took her to WC property first so her phone would ping there, they become fixated with WC due to his history (small community, I’m sure he knew, maybe even worked at WV farm at one time) then took her wherever next. I don’t think he is a clueless as he puts on.
Sadly nothing will shock me about the this case any more.
Devastated for Mollie, her family and DJ.

Mollie Tibbetts autopsy finds that she died by 'multiple sharp force injuries' - CNN

Tibbetts' funeral has been scheduled for Sunday afternoon, according to a release on the Smith Funeral Home and Cremation Service website. The Mass of Resurrection will be held at the gymnasium of the BGM High School in Brooklyn, Iowa.
MULTIPLE Sharp FORCE objects. Specifically. Not ‘stab wounds’ which would have been specified.
On a farm? What is NOT more common than a pitchfork?

Something I've been wondering about but keep forgetting about when I post. Can anyone think of any good reason why he would have brought her cell phone with them or allowed her to? He obviously knew she had it since he says she pulled it out and threatened to call LE. If she was holding it when he attacked her, it seems like she'd be likely to drop it in the struggle. Would there be a good reason to pick it up and bring it with rather than either leaving it or throwing it out into the field there? Maybe I'm expecting too much to want to find some logic in this whole thing.

Last edited:
Back to Mollie.......
I'm so glad they caught her killer. He could have been anyone of any race. He is just a guy with a sick mind who decided to murder Mollie. Criminal sick minds that can viciously attack another human being are in all kinds of places all over the world. Rivera has been caught, thank goodness. He will pay to the greatest extent of the law.

True. I mean, on the other popular case an all American, upper middle class, father of 2 is charged with 9 felonies for killing his whole family. Psychopaths and sociopaths are found everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member