IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 *Arrest* #37

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
What are people thinking about the phone and fitbit disposal? Was her phone and headset pulled off before she was put in the trunk? (probably) Maybe CR overlooked the fitbit. He may have ditched the phone and forgot the fitbit. He probably found the earpiece while cleaning out the car and used it in his explanation to add detail and make it sound plausible.
He possibly snatched the phone (and attached earpiece) out of her hands or off the ground if she dropped it while he first attacked her on the road and threw her in the trunk. Her Fitbit could've gone unnoticed or looked less shiny to him than a phone. He then could've destroyed/turned off the phone and disposed of it the way he disposed of whatever bloody clothing items and weapons he had.

Last edited:
We know you meant to type "4 - 7 yrs". ;-)

I know his (ex?) gf, who was holding their baby girl on her lap, was at the hearing. Obviously, she appeared to be dismayed. I found no mention of CR's parents having attended the hearing. If they were I believe CR's representative attorney would have noted that.

I think they were the gfs parents. My guess is the gf - ex or not - is clearly under his control.

My ex tried to kill me, and his ex who he assaulted also years before ( I had no idea) stood by his side in the court, even after I told her everything and begged her to get away from him for her own safety.

Some people just can not break free from the cycle of abuse.

Thank you,that was really informative. It would seem like the body would have to be in stage 3 by that time. That certainly explains why it took so long to remove the body,and why they have to be so careful. But I still don't understand why the climate would slow down the process. It said climate effects it, but doesn't say how. I would think warmer temps would increase the process . Does anyone know? I'm asking because I'm trying to figure out how long it was there, and if it matches the story It also said it depends on the type of injuries. Would stab wounds increase or decrease deterioration? How about insect activity? Does anyone know?

**********GROSSOUT WARNING****************

I can share what little I know. In general, the hotter the ambient temp, the faster the rate of decomp. Iowa summers can get pretty hot. I think earlier mention about mild climate there may have been talking about later in the year, not the summers. By 5 weeks, there might be some really good ongoing liquification (MOO), but the shade and coolness between the rows and under leaf/stalk clutter could slow that down some.

Insect activity comes in waves, and the players change as time passes. Insect activity also can increase body temp, to the point that it can be detected on infrared. Also, the higher the ambient temp, in general, the more insect activity. Bugs might like it in the shade, under leaf clutter.

The effect of stab wounds depends on where. Penetrating abdominal wounds that perforate the gut (small intestine especially) will release gut bacteria and possibly speed up decomp (again, MOO), and will help to slowly release gases associated with putrafication (the breakdown of proteins) and decrease bloat. I think that liquification is associated more with fatty tissues and internal organs. The fatter the corpse, the bigger the soup; the more soup the more liquid substrate for bacterial growth. If you cut up and lacerate the liver and pancreas, those enzymes released into the abdomen should speed up decomp. Any stab wound (the bigger the better) will allow increased insect egress into the body and thereby increase rate of decomp, especially by allowing for increased internal maggot activity (I think). By the way maggots only eat dead flesh, they were meant for this.

I don't believe the prelim autopsy report lists date of death.
I don't think so either. If they have one, it's always after the Obduction as is always said in the SOKOs and NCIS.

What are people thinking about the phone and fitbit disposal? Was her phone and headset pulled off before she was put in the trunk? (probably) Maybe CR overlooked the fitbit. He may have ditched the phone and forgot the fitbit. He probably found the earpiece while cleaning out the car and used it in his explanation to add detail and make it sound plausible.

His story claims that the headphones were still on her when he opened the trunk. That to me at least makes me think he smacked her in the head with something that either knocked her out or killed her. If there was any kind of struggle the headphones would have probably flew off in the struggle.

**********GROSSOUT WARNING****************

I can share what little I know. In general, the hotter the ambient temp, the faster the rate of decomp. Iowa summers can get pretty hot. I think earlier mention about mild climate there may have been talking about later in the year, not the summers. By 5 weeks, there might be some really good ongoing liquification (MOO), but the shade and coolness between the rows and under leaf/stalk clutter could slow that down some.

Insect activity comes in waves, and the players change as time passes. Insect activity also can increase body temp, to the point that it can be detected on infrared. Also, the higher the ambient temp, in general, the more insect activity. Bugs might like it in the shade, under leaf clutter.

The effect of stab wounds depends on where. Penetrating abdominal wounds that perforate the gut (small intestine especially) will release gut bacteria and possibly speed up decomp (again, MOO), and will help to slowly release gases associated with putrafication (the breakdown of proteins) and decrease bloat. I think that liquification is associated more with fatty tissues and internal organs. The fatter the corpse, the bigger the soup; the more soup the more liquid substrate for bacterial growth. If you cut up and lacerate the liver and pancreas, those enzymes released into the abdomen should speed up decomp. Any stab wound (the bigger the better) will allow increased insect egress into the body and thereby increase rate of decomp, especially by allowing for increased internal maggot activity (I think). By the way maggots only eat dead flesh, they were meant for this.

So if she was there since July 18th its possible her facial features would make her harder to identify after that period of time? Which is why I guess it took a bit to confirm it was actually her.

IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 *Arrest* #36

I suspect there is a difference between self-preservation lying (illegally entering the U.S. with intent to find work to provide for his family) and maintaining an ongoing 'pattern' of lying to cover for an underlying evil.

Acquaintances of CR and of those he hangs and lives with claims to have overheard or discussed with them their experiences in Mexico, which was described as being very negative, read: horrendous.

I believe CR was looking for a way to become a legitimate citizen or at least be perceived as being a 'man' (very important in his culture). What better way than to attempt to win the favor of a particularly popular American woman? It is possible he never intended to hurt/murder MT.

Of course, worst case, CR was simply looking for an outlet to serve a primal urge and unfortunately, MT became his target.

I'm leaning toward one scenario over the other.
I'm leaning toward the second scenario. I don't know whether CR sexually assaulted Mollie before or after he murdered her, though.

According to the affidavit on page 1 of this thread I just noticed Rivera is charged under 707.2(1)(a) of Iowa criminal code. (That charge doesn’t refer to kidnapping whatsoever, which would be (b).)

707.2 Murder in the first degree.
1. A person commits murder in the first degree when the person commits murder under any of the following circumstances:
a. The person willfully, deliberately, and with premeditation kills another person.
https://www.legis.iowa.gov/docs/code/707.2.pdf

They can add more charges as they get more information. If their theory of the case says that she was alive when he put her in the trunk--then they'll add kidnapping.

That's my fear not just for Mollie but other victims of human traffickers who may have been stashed there. It's so close to I-80 yet so remote.
80 is a horror show. We need checkpoints at state lines like CA does. Drug dogs out on the ground at state lines and state scales. They have infrared scanners where they can see live people if they are in the trunk, (I posted this like 10 times since Mollie went missing), they have X-ray panels that x-ray campers, trucks, trailers, cars as they go through.
I’ve been driving trucks for 30 years now OTR. Yes, we have blatant human trafficking -and resultant sex trafficking. And drug runners. Human trafficking is easy and the money is good. And they are sloppy. And they should shut this all down now. They could. We have the technology.

I don’t recall anywhere where it’s stated what year was the Chevy Malibu. Could it have been outfitted with GPS?

Rahn’s comment below could be taken a couple of ways. Either it was the CCTV that enabled LE to figure out his pattern....or otherwise once the vehicle was identified they able to “track his pattern” by records related to a tracking device??? To the corn field as well? Thoughts?

“...The footage showed her running through an area east of Brooklyn and a car moving close to her. The black Chevy Malibu drove back and forth numerous times before it just started following her, according to an affidavit.

They linked the car to Rivera and “from that we were able to track his pattern in the routes in which he took,” Rahn said.....”

Mollie Tibbetts case mystified police until a security camera offered a key clue
Thank you to the person/people who installed the video camera on their remote property with a view of the road out front and turned in the footage to LE!! You were the key to finding Mollie and her killer, and you should get some huge kudos (if not a chunk of the reward money)!!

I think the dogs are looking for Mollie's scent. I doubt CR was dumb enough to leave a murder weapon where he lives. The article says the search was conducted immediately AFTER it was released by Iowa law enforcement. There is something else about the property that captured the attention of the FBI agent who was there previously. I-80 is a known drug and human trafficking pipeline.
I agree with you. And in that same article it said they were using blue prints to figure out there was a basement. They already knew this before the autopsy was done.

Yes, it all fits with the theory she was kidnapped and being held. I have to wonder if he killed her because he was getting nervous that someone he lived with would rat him out in order to get the reward.
Or an accomplice killed her.

Actually I think he might be smarter than we think. I think he’s setting the stage. Young, not highly educated man escaping his horrible life in another country. Doesn’t speak good English and/or understands english and the police confused him and he didn’t fully understand what they were asking and what he was “admitting” to. Hence the reason for the big display of an interpreter. Yes, it shows a fair trial, so I’m glad they used one, but can’t help but think the overkill of having two is to really “sell@ the theory that he doesn’t understand English very well and thus didn’t understand what he was being questioned for. I wouldn’t be surprised if his attorney pushed for a mistrial.

I'm betting he was Mirandized, it was recorded and he acknowledge he understood. This team of LE are solid professionals.
We know you meant to type "4 - 7 yrs". ;-)

I know his (ex?) gf, who was holding their baby girl on her lap, was at the hearing. Obviously, she appeared to be dismayed. I found no mention of CR's parents having attended the hearing. If they were I believe CR's representative attorney would have noted that.

If he came to this country illegally as a minor, wouldn't his parents also be illegal? I think it was the girlfriend's parent who was just trying to be supportive to her, not to him.

How did LE know the car belonged to CBR? I mean, it’s one thing to have footage of a car that keeps showing up where MT is, but how do they link that car to a guy who isn’t even officially in the country? Do you think they must have shown pics of the car to locals? Or tracked down the registration to someone?
someone probably recognized the car as being driven by the guys at the farm. They went to the farm, saw the car, and then proceeded to question the workers. Maybe CR had some tells that clued them in or one of the other workers informed on him that he was the one who had the car that night. Maybe the camera was really good and there was a clear image of him, but it took them awhile to ID him and once they got to the farm they instantly recognized him. Maybe they looked at CR's cellular data and that placed him in the area. maybe the police really didn't know it was him for sure but maybe they pretended to have evidence and told him that it would go easier for him if he came clean and showed them where the body was. just speculation. it will be interesting to be able to read the court docs. Hopefully, there will be information about where the fitbit or cell phone was, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnnemarieNL