IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 *Arrest* #37

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thought a lot about this over the past 24 hours and my gift to Mollie is going to be to advise young women to carry pepper spray (I bought some new pepper spray for myself) and I’m also going to be more aware of women jogging alone. It only takes a few seconds to take note of someone’s appearance and check the time.

Also...these reports of CR scoping out women and circling them doesn’t surprise me. I wouldn’t doubt a history of domestic violence/anger. I do think this is his first killing. I’m really good at reading body language, but usually get a better sense when the perp is being questioned by police or interviewed by the media and of course (thankfully) we didn’t see that. Psychopaths fool me every time because they truly believe their own lies and even have the micro expressions down. Chris Watts for example, but that’s OT, and I could say more on him. Anyways, I think CR is a budding SK and should be locked away for life in accordance with Iowa’s laws.

Hi all. Good morning!

I’m thinking, like many of you, about what type of weapon could have caused the wounds. Leatherman type multi-tool? Trying to think of what he’d have onhand. Curious about other thoughts out there.

I’m not very experienced with this way of thinking, but from too much crime-show watching, I thought multiple wounds like this could indicate great anger/passion/emotion in the crime. I wonder if he had been obsessed for a while.

Another thing going through my mind is his claim that this isn’t the first time he has “blacked out.” I’m curious about previous occurrences of this. He would need to substantiate this in court, I assume.

Thoughts out there about these things?

Yes, definitely some folding knife like that which wouldn’t raise much suspicion and also could be ditched/“lost” after the attack.

I don’t think multiple wounds necessarily indicates passion etc., he could just have wanted to get it over with and was very unemotional?

I think his “black out” is total BS and is just a way for him to not actually take responsibility for what he did.

I don't believe a word of CR's story at this point. Until evidence is presented to confirm his words, I choose to believe he did not know about the phone until later in the cornfield. If MT was not holding the phone, where would she have had it where CR would not immediately realize it was on her person?
Armband, but that is easily seen.
Perhaps he is so brazen (or stupid) he didn’t care.

So a couple things I’m having problems with... if Mollie sent DJ a “goodnight” snap as I’m sure she did, she did that before she left for her run? Seems awfully early for a girl that stays up pretty late... And I can’t help but think the question about whether Mollie was in a house at 9:45 really happened. Is there reason to believe Mollie was still alive that long after she was abducted?

I don't believe this will happen. He has nothing to lose by fighting for an acquittal. There isn't a death penalty to entice him to take a plea.

And, sadly, I don't think the political climate will allow anything but a trial. Someone hired his attorney. Someone set up a account to pay for his future legal expenses. He won't admit or plea to anything.

<modsnipped>
Well isn’t that just peachy. Manson had lots of admirers, so there you go.

What happens when this individual gets turned over to Mexican authorities? They have no obligation to align with our laws and sentences? Would he even go to jail?
I know zero about how that would play out. Anyone?

Last edited by a moderator:
I am guessing the damage to her bones would indicate knife wounds

You might get some indication of stabbing on bone of it was done with enough force, but it’s more common in a chopping type of wound.

A chop wound is best considered a combined blunt and sharp force injury that is produced by a relatively sharp object wielded with a tremendous amount of force. The object is often heavy and moving at a high rate of speed or with significant angular acceleration. Because of the larger amount of force, chop wounds have features of both sharp and blunt force injuries. As such, chop wounds frequently have marginal abrasions and contusions, and sometimes lacerations, though those would be difficult to see with decomp of this state.

Underlying fracture that can easily be seen at autopsy are also common with chop wounds. Examples of objects that can cause chop wounds include crowbars, claw hammers, tomahawks, axes, hatchets, boat propellers, lawnmower blades, and a multitude of industrial and farm machinery. (and no I’m not saying the POI used any of these, just forensic science talking).

So a couple things I’m having problems with... if Mollie sent DJ a “goodnight” snap as I’m sure she did, she did that before she left for her run? Seems awfully early for a girl that stays up pretty late... And I can’t help but think the question about whether Mollie was in a house at 9:45 really happened. Is there reason to believe Mollie was still alive that long after she was abducted?
I think that initially LE questioned DJ and he told them his story on the Snapchat message and that he opened it “around 10 pm” and initial LE doesn’t understand how Snapchat works and assumed Mollie sent it just before 10, which would be around 9:45. I think it was just some info to get the ball rolling in the investigation.

I have not heard where LE ever extensively searched the corn fields--which would have been my first stop. Am I wrong?
...and if they did not search those fields, how bad is that?? Mollie was found just off of one of the paths through the cornfield. Would heat seeking radar from a plane be able to find her heat signature in those fields.
I mean that is the #1 spot you would search, Yes?? The area has more corn than homes.

Hopefully when LE maps this all out those questions will be answered, that one is a key one imo

They probably know when it was sent by now but they aren’t going to give any info out yet

Thought a lot about this over the past 24 hours and my gift to Mollie is going to be to advise young women to carry pepper spray (I bought some new pepper spray for myself) and I’m also going to be more aware of women jogging alone. It only takes a few seconds to take note of someone’s appearance and check the time.
Great idea. If more people do this, the whole country is safer. Situational awareness can be applied to your own safety as well as the safety of others!

Couldn't a sharp rock cause "multiple sharp force injuries"? Just wondering if he picked up a rock in the field and used it on her. Thus the "bleeding head" half truth (IMO) statement.

I was thinking about this last night as well. I agree, seems off to send a snap to your bf saying goodnight long before you're actually going to bed. Do we know for sure it said "goodnight"? I can't recall that detail. And the People article where Mitch Mortvedt says he can't comment on if she was held for any period of time after being taken...it makes me wonder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Denny