IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 *Arrest* #37

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Understood - but it makes no sense she’d say “goodnight” around 7ish.
Maybe it was DJ that planned on turning in early. Construction is a hard job that starts at the crack of dawn usually. Or maybe he was going out with the boys for a drink so she just said goodnight at that point?

Last edited:
So a couple things I’m having problems with... if Mollie sent DJ a “goodnight” snap as I’m sure she did, she did that before she left for her run? Seems awfully early for a girl that stays up pretty late... And I can’t help but think the question about whether Mollie was in a house at 9:45 really happened. Is there reason to believe Mollie was still alive that long after she was abducted?
i could be wrong, but i'm not sure if DJ and/or LE ever specifically said it was a goodnight snap per se. DJ said he couldn't remember the caption. I think maybe the media started calling it a 'goodnight snap' because he opened it at 10pm most likely right before he went to bed. So she probably sent it to him earlier while she was in the house before her run.

But what I was asking is if the phone is that far away from the fit bit, WOULD IT STILL be able to transcribe? Maybe I'm using the wrong words, I'm so tired right now. What distance does the phone have to be in order to get fit bit info? Does it have to be within a few feet or can it be 40 yards and still work? Presuming cell is still turned on and in the car??? And fit bit is on her arm?

In my personal experience, the Fitbit I have needs to be within approximately 10 feet of my phone to sync. Idk if it’s because there’s a lot of electronical interference in my house or if that’s just how close it needs to be. Mine uses a Bluetooth connection.

Is CR's house near WC's house? If her phone pinged in the general area of both houses is it possible that CR upon hearing all the suspicion in the community about WC, moved MT to that area so it would make it look like WC was the guilty one. Just a thought. Also MT has made us all more aware of our surroundings. I was walking yesterday and there was a man standing behind his car with the trunk open and I normally would walk on by, but I took a wide berth, because it scared me. I will be getting pepper spray and being more alert.

Don't know answer to that but did they get the reward money! If they did it would be interesting to definitively know when they gave the tape to LE.

The majority of the reward money was specifically for the SAFE return of MT, so no payout except, maybe, for first 1 to 2 thousand offered. Existence of this video was uncovered by police canvas of area, and family (who likely had no idea of what they had) surrendered system to LE, but it took many hours to find the vital small clips of video that cracked the case.

I was thinking about this last night as well. I agree, seems off to send a snap to your bf saying goodnight long before you're actually going to bed. Do we know for sure it said "goodnight"? I can't recall that detail. And the People article where Mitch Mortvedt says he can't comment on if she was held for any period of time after being taken...it makes me wonder.
Good questions. Could also just be that Mollie was sending the SC before DJ’s bedtime, not hers. He perhaps went to bed early regularily since he rises early for construction.

Thought a lot about this over the past 24 hours and my gift to Mollie is going to be to advise young women to carry pepper spray (I bought some new pepper spray for myself) and I’m also going to be more aware of women jogging alone. It only takes a few seconds to take note of someone’s appearance and check the time.

Also...these reports of CR scoping out women and circling them doesn’t surprise me. I wouldn’t doubt a history of domestic violence/anger. I do think this is his first killing. I’m really good at reading body language, but usually get a better sense when the perp is being questioned by police or interviewed by the media and of course (thankfully) we didn’t see that. Psychopaths fool me every time because they truly believe their own lies and even have the micro expressions down. Chris Watts for example, but that’s OT, and I could say more on him. Anyways, I think CR is a budding SK and should be locked away for life in accordance with Iowa’s laws.

Bear spray, and maybe bring the bear with you!

I would think there is evidence of her having been in the trunk and that is why he admitted to it. I also believe it will be blood evidence as he said. This is why I suspect he stabbed her when he nabbed her and put her in the trunk for the next destination he had in mind. I think he knew his plan to put her in the trunk because otherwise she would have been fussing and fighting in the car and someone may
So a couple things I’m having problems with... if Mollie sent DJ a “goodnight” snap as I’m sure she did, she did that before she left for her run? Seems awfully early for a girl that stays up pretty late... And I can’t help but think the question about whether Mollie was in a house at 9:45 really happened. Is there reason to believe Mollie was still alive that long after she was abducted?
. Sorry if this appears below a post I was trying to delete last night, ( haven't figured out to non reply after already hitting reply button) but what I was thinking now that we now the details is that maybe he called it that because he opened it when he was about to fall asleep. Maybe she sent it that early because she knew he might be going to sleep early ( as he gets up at 4:30, and thought she would just send it before her jog.

<mod tried to repair broken quote>

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m so behind on all the many, many posts.... but I feel like it seems that LE had the video footage for awhile and saw that someone took her but since her body wasn’t found for so many weeks....it made sense to think she was being held somewhere (either alive or not but maybe the lack of evidence pointed to the thought of her being held alive). RT’s comments in the media about the possibility of someone misinterpreting their relationship and being in over their head and the fact that he seemed to believe she was being held by someone... plus the very odd statement by WC- “some guy has her”..... the LE’s wording of their question to her mom, “does it look like she’s in a house”...
The places on the map- the red dots- obviously places where video footage showed the black Malibu...

I’m very curious about what the search of CR’s home turns up!!

Poor sweet Mollie.... this story is just horrific and right out of a scary movie.

Yeah, but very accurate and to the point. I want an answer to this question too! LE wants to know what brought CR to this point, and I think so do the rest of us.

We always find out after the fact that the killer had red flags

He went out on a limb to state that and I believe for good reason

Mortvedt said officials do not anticipate filing additional charges against Rivera, but that decision will depend on where the evidence leads, and he cautioned there was still a large period of time unaccounted for.

"We want to account for everything that he did in that time leading up to the abduction but then since until he was in our custody yesterday," he said.

Investigator: Suspect in Mollie Tibbetts' death 'hadn't come across the radar' until Monday

LE are interested in everything he did over a large period of time

Sorry have no idea what happened with above post but in response to Dalton calling it a goodnight snap I had said thay maybe he referred to it that way because he himself was about to fall asleep, and she sent it before her jog because she knew he would be going to sleep early( he got up at 4:30 am) and just wanted to be sure he saw saw it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Katelyn26