IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 *Arrest* #37

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish we knew what large period of time he is referring to. Does he mean from right after the murder ( around 8:30,- throughout the rest of the evening because his account of what he did or where he was after doesn't add up??

I think they want to know what he did leading up to the abduction,straight through to the time of his arrest
Maybe that is standard practice?

I’m so behind on all the many, many posts.... but I feel like it seems that LE had the video footage for awhile and saw that someone took her but since her body wasn’t found for so many weeks....it made sense to think she was being held somewhere (either alive or not but maybe the lack of evidence pointed to the thought of her being held alive). RT’s comments in the media about the possibility of someone misinterpreting their relationship and being in over their head and the fact that he seemed to believe she was being held by someone... plus the very odd statement by WC- “some guy has her”..... the LE’s wording of their question to her mom, “does it look like she’s in a house”...
The places on the map- the red dots- obviously places where video footage showed the black Malibu...

I’m very curious about what the search of CR’s home turns up!!

Poor sweet Mollie.... this story is just horrific and right out of a scary movie.
When I fell asleep last night I was thinking about this very thing. WC also used the past tense verb was, when referring to Mollie. Although he's been cleared and I have heard he took a lie detector test, however the back of my mind I never cleared him.
I have been tossing around the idea of two peeps working together.

IMO, he means from July 18 until they located her.

They now have the autopsy report and probably a good idea of when her death occurred, that may not be lining up with his ridiculous story so we are seeing these statements coming out of LE.
I see... I don't know what to make of it. I don't even want to think that he held her for any amount of time.

All of a sudden he just does it,” says Mitch Mortvedt, assistant director of the Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation, referring to suspect Cristhian Rivera.

“Who escalates to abduction, kidnapping and homicide that fast?”

Cops Wonder: If Mollie Tibbetts' Accused Killer Has No Record — Who Jumps to Murder That Fast?
Just because there is no record, doesn’t mean he hasn’t committed crimes. Or this is his first - all serial killers, etc. started somewhere. Yuck.

I guess I’m feeling that Mollie wasn’t killed right away. It makes no sense that CR would just stab her or whatever when his initial motive clearly wasn’t murder. Just because Mollies cause of death was multiple sharp force trauma doesn’t necessarily imply that there isn’t evidence of other trauma that didn’t cause her death (the autopsy was only required to report the cause of death).

It could be possible CR mentioned the blood on her head in the trunk to show a reason why he would have blood in his trunk. Maybe he did snatch her and take her somewhere else to abuse (sorry having difficulty typing the "r" word, it makes me feel so bad for MT) and kill her. Then he put her in his trunk and took her to the cornfield. Even if he cleaned the trunk, it would be hard to get all the blood out. Just other theory to add to all the ones folks are coming up with. I hope like another poster that she had angels in heaven and prayer helping her through. She looks like an angel in her Obituary picture. Such a beautiful picture. RIP Mollie!!

I can't stop thinking about poor Mollie and how infuriating it is that women jogging unsafe and we need to be on guard at all times.
I'm training for a half marathon and I have to get my weekday runs in at 4:00am. I carry pepper spray, run on the sidewalk of a well-lit and well traveled road and a friend who I meet for 5am boot camp class tracks my location on her phone. But I've missed 2 runs this week because I can't stop thinking about Mollie and how stuff happens so fast.
I yelled at my boyfriend the other day for leaving me alone at a park to catch Pokemon. I looked like a fool in front of other people at the park walking around alone.

I like walking/jogging/biking alone. I've done it my entire life. It's a peaceful, and I gather a lot of my creative inspiration from the outdoors; but I just can't stop thinking about Mollie and how she didn't have a chance to call for help.

Oh, I agree. I read that he claimed it has happened before. I’m curious if there is evidence of this.
My thought when I saw that was.. and did he snap out of it with electronics that didn't belong to him and someone in his trunk then too??

Oh yes, I believe so. I hate to use this as a comparison but think about your kitchen mallet when you tenderize meat. A sharp edged rock could do some serious damage. Ugh.
True, but that wouldnt leave cuts to the bone. Just cant imagine a sharp rock doing that either, unless very sharp and with great force. I would think it more likely that cuts or knicks on bone would be from something like a knife.

I see... I don't know what to make of it. I don't even want to think that he held her for any amount of time.

For him to announce this after LE being so tight lipped I think they are finding out what transpired

ETA: Along with the autopsy report which is probably giving them an approximate time of death

Authorities have not revealed when, exactly, Tibbetts was killed.

Mortvedt tells PEOPLE that he can’t discuss whether or not she was held for any period of time after being taken.

Cops Wonder: If Mollie Tibbetts' Accused Killer Has No Record — Who Jumps to Murder That Fast?

I think it seems odd to me because he would have to catch up with her, disable her and drag or carry her, or convince her to return to his car, then get her in the trunk, before anyone saw him. It seems he had several obstacles with having to get her back to his car. Who knows, it's hard to know how much truth vs embellishment or utter lie. Since he jumped to the blocked memory scenario so quickly, it's anyone's guess what he actually did. I suspect he may have hit her really hard or used something to incapacitate her.
However it happened, I wish someone, anyone had driven by at that time. It’s like we all want to turn the clock back and create a different outcome. I am hoping the preliminary hearing is not closed to media so we can get some more information. I apologize if this has been asked and answered already, but does anyone know if the district court ruled on the gag order?

So a couple things I’m having problems with... if Mollie sent DJ a “goodnight” snap as I’m sure she did, she did that before she left for her run? Seems awfully early for a girl that stays up pretty late... And I can’t help but think the question about whether Mollie was in a house at 9:45 really happened. Is there reason to believe Mollie was still alive that long after she was abducted?
Could be because she figured he DJ would probably go to be early. Not that she was.

I think they want to know what he did leading up to the abduction,straight through to the time of his arrest
Maybe that is standard practice?
Which is standard practice? You lost me. Announcing there is still time that is unaccounted for?

Question. So if Mollie was raped (ugh). How long before they would know this? I realize the preliminary autopsy was done, would this be evident at this point or would they need to wait until DNA results are in? Sorry for my stupidity!

Which is standard practice? You lost me. Announcing there is still time that is unaccounted for?

LE has to map out the sequence of events leading up to, the assault, the killing, the disposal of the body, and what he has been doing for a month.

It’s not just over because he admitted to jogging next to her and leaving her body in a cornfield

I have brain overload but didn't her phone's last ping happen at 8.28pm?

The order for the arrest warrant for CR gives 20:28 as the upper time limit for the offence. Because of the exact time cited, many (me included) have opined that this came from FitBit or other digital data. But, I don't think this has been confirmed anywhere.

We have made some decisions in this house due to my WS family and the advice I learn here.
1) I will never walk with my hearing being impaired (music/podcast). Even on base, where I feel very secure.
2) We are investing in security cameras for our home. For our security and in case our filming can help solve a crime.
3) I will purchase mace for myself and all of my girls. I am a licensed open carry and have extensive training, but my walks are in public places. I’d sure hate to injure an innocent bystander. We only carry on rail trails (less populated) while walking or riding bikes with husband.

Myself and all my neighbors have front door bell cameras, mostly because we have package stealers come Xmas time. You should also learn how to disable your garage door from being popped from the outside. I say this because we had a rash of robberies where people popped the doors and took stuff from the garage, or entered the house while the homeowners were sleeping and took stuff.I actually woke up when they popped mine, and went downstairs with a bat after calling 911. I now make sure to lock the door from the garage to the house. We live in a generally very safe area in CO, but crime happens everywhere.

You can buy those keychain pepper sprays. I was taught early on when I run/walk to carry pepper spray. It's light and you can hold while you run. The one I have also has a super loud siren to alert others. I also have a personal tazer...but it looks like something else ;) Do some research online, there are tons of personal security items you can buy that are disguised as other things to throw off an attacker.

I've also had myself and my daughter take self defense classes. It is possible for someone very small to seriously and easily hurt an attacker. The key is being able to size them up quickly and then use simple body weight principles to snap an arm, break their nose into their skull or get them in the groin. I had a previous job where I was trained in taking down people twice my size, but I wanted my daughter to have the knowledge also. I highly recommend taking one of these courses, and with your children if possible

Going through the background of someone who is accused of committing a crime.
Checking into everything he has done, everywhere he has been, before and after
Oh right, sorry, got lost in the flurry but I was referring to his statement that there was a long period of time unaccounted for.

So a couple things I’m having problems with... if Mollie sent DJ a “goodnight” snap as I’m sure she did, she did that before she left for her run? Seems awfully early for a girl that stays up pretty late... And I can’t help but think the question about whether Mollie was in a house at 9:45 really happened. Is there reason to believe Mollie was still alive that long after she was abducted?
I think maybe she sent the SC before she left for her run. Because of the route she seemed to be taking which led her over to Boundary and Middle, I think she was on her way to her mother’s house for the much discussed brats and to pick up the car. DJ, working construction, probably got up pretty early and so went to bed pretty early. Mollie probably figured by the time she did her run and then spent time at Mom’s it would be late so she sent the SC early and he’d see it before he went to bed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ewreckk35