Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 *Arrest* #38

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think there is an understandable motive when a man decides to grab a woman off the street, assault her, stab her to death, and leave her in a corn field. This sort of murder falls in the category of random rape, which is about power and control.

I think there is intent because he had seen her jogging previously, he had a weapon, he circled around in his car waiting for her on her route, he grabbed her and that was it.
I think the motive is sexual (power, control, punishment). From Jack the Ripper to Gacy, Bundy, and Ridgeway, this motivation is nothing new.

I think he’d seen Mollie running many times before, and fantasized about rape, or worse.
I also think he was out prowling on July 18th, and finally saw his opportunity.

I think he followed her slowly, and figured out what he was going to do, and where he was going to do it. Then he struck.

After he gained control of her, and put her in the trunk, he drove to a location that he had previously thought about (this location could have also been spur of the moment).

There is a possibility (not necessarily likely, but *possible*) that CR could be deported by DHS. This post is NOT about political implications or policies regarding immigration policies. It is about factual policies that may affect the outcome of this case, noting DHS may deport CR under reinstated policies that were discontinued in 2014 and reinstated in 2017:

bbm

Secure Communities - Wikipedia

That means deportation.

Countable

CR fits the category.

DHS doesn't have jurisdiction over CR. The State of Iowa has jurisdiction. It is no different than the killer of Deputy Mark Burbridge. He received life without parole and will never get out.

There was never any red shirt found that was found by LE. It was never verified. They were searching the pig farm area based on tips and cell phone pings.

Way back..I was referring to this. Obviously it was a false lead.
Aug 3rd
“...A red shirt found Thursday near a previously searched hog farm may belong to the missing 20-year-old. It's the first major potential clue discovered in the search for Tibbetts, who hasn't been seen since July 18 when she left her boyfriend's home to go for a run.

A person mowing the lawn in the area found the article of clothing, which resembles a shirt worn by employees of a day care center where Tibbetts worked, according to Fox News.

Investigators are now scouring ditches near the hog farm for any sign of Tibbetts....”
Mollie Tibbetts Case: Could Red Shirt Hold the Key to Finding Missing Iowa College Student?

This is one of those cases again where I tried to delete but it just carried over to the next post I made...ugh! I was thinking that wherever that first attack was caused her to be unconscious until later at that corn field. As a mom I’m was hoping she didn’t have to think through being in the trunk of a car wondering what next. And part of me wished she was and could find a way out of the situation. Was just thinking as a mom and not a sleuth and decided to not post it....lol
I know! As moms we cant bare thinking about it, and hope it was quick and her soul sailed straight to heaven...

I think he did too. He admittedly was checking out the area in the days leading up to the murder. How far in advance do you think he may have planned it, and do you believe this is his first tine?

It's quite possible he saw her jogging on Tuesday and abducted her Wednesday.

I tend to agree with Mortvedt. I don't think this is the first time he has committed a criminal act.

“All of a sudden he just does it,” says Mitch Mortvedt, assistant director of the Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation, referring to suspect Cristhian Rivera. “Who escalates to abduction, kidnapping and homicide that fast?”

“That is part of the ongoing investigation,” Mortvedt tells PEOPLE. “We want to dig into his background — and not just the last four weeks. Who is this guy? Where has he been? What has he done? How can we verify that?”​

Cops Wonder: If Mollie Tibbetts' Accused Killer Has No Record — Who Jumps to Murder That Fast?

I don’t think he had a plan, or a spot chosen, etc...I think he was cruising the streets, passing time, saw Mollie and everything else he did, he just did. He is not a Bundy, imo, with his fake casts and broken down VW. He hit on her, as men do 17 million times a day to women, she rejected him and sadly it was the last time she ever got say “no”...

...and the application for the arrest warrant lists 1900 385th Ave as the location of the crime, indicating that the murder took place there and not in a cornfield 12 miles (or so) away. I know, I'm confused too.

I think that the FitBit data, uploaded to the cloud, ended before the cornfield where the body was found, resulting in the last digital "ping" (acknowledged by LE) in the area of the hog farm. This could be because CR simply turned the phone off enroute to the disposal site. There are technical reasons why, in an area with diminished cell phone coverage (fewer towers), a digital geolocated signal source could be less than pinpoint. This was discussed up-post.
Maybe CR drove past the hog farm looking for a place to dump a body.

On one MSM interview with the lead DCI investigator, he said that CR tackled MT. Maybe when CR accosted MT he took her down, causing her head to hit the pavement, causing immediate unconsciousness and resulting in death (consistent with the affidavit application) from a closed head injury (and with accompanying head laceration - consistent with CR's known statement). However, this COD is not consistent with the prelim autopsy report, as confirmed on a reported MSM interview that the murder weapon was a knife.

It's also possible that CR was threatening MT with a knife, and in the struggle when she went down, hitting her head, he fell on top of her with a knife in his hand, driving the knife into her chest, immediately killing her, and causing nicking of the sternum and/or ribs. Not his intent to kill her there and then, but stuff happens. There was MSM report that forensic
anthropologists would be consulted in this case. Documentation of this kind of sharp force injury would be consistent with their skill set.

Findings of bleed associated with a closed head injury, after 4 to 5 weeks of decomp, while maybe detectable could be equiviable as a COD. Bone nicking from a knife would be a much firmer finding and a better choice to list as the leading COD.

Although given that the report listed COD from MULTIPLE sharp force injuries, I would think it’s pretty hard to accidentally stab someone multiple times.

I tend to agree with Mortvedt. I don't think this is the first time he has committed a criminal act.

“All of a sudden he just does it,” says Mitch Mortvedt, assistant director of the Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation, referring to suspect Cristhian Rivera. “Who escalates to abduction, kidnapping and homicide that fast?”

“That is part of the ongoing investigation,” Mortvedt tells PEOPLE. “We want to dig into his background — and not just the last four weeks. Who is this guy? Where has he been? What has he done? How can we verify that?”​

Cops Wonder: If Mollie Tibbetts' Accused Killer Has No Record — Who Jumps to Murder That Fast?

I'm thinking LE should look farther north....

Last edited:
JMO
Catching up and no legal experience but found this Arrest Warrant so interesting because it is a very specific timeframe and thinking LE must know her exact attack time and exact death time because of the Fitbit giving heartrate beats. We know Mollie jogged with her cell phone in an armband and she likely had her Fitbit on.

It would be obvious from the Fitbit info the pulse rate when her pulse would suddenly go through the roof. Then when her heartbeat stopped altogether that is one way LE could know the exact time of death.

This is the first case where I have seen such a specific timeframe on the charges down to the minute.
The Fitbit info is the only way I can figure how LE knew this exact timeframe of the beginning of the attack and her ultimate death down to the minute.

On July 18, the attack began at 7:45 p.m. and the time of death was 8:28 p.m.

http://media.graytvinc.com/documents/082118+DCI+Arrest.pdf

I had a hard time pressing like on your comment. (Not that your comment wasn't good, just it feels so true.)
I feel the same thing. I feel CR may have thought it was just a rubbery bracelet. So it stayed with her and recorded her heart beat.......

DHS doesn't have jurisdiction over CR. The State of Iowa has jurisdiction. It is no different than the killer of Deputy Mark Burbridge. He received life without parole and will never get out.

If CR is indeed illegal, DHS has a say. CR might be tried, convicted and sentenced in Iowa. He might event serve some time but ultimately, under current policies, DHS could deport him.

Way back..I was referring to this. Obviously it was a false lead.
Aug 3rd
“...A red shirt found Thursday near a previously searched hog farm may belong to the missing 20-year-old. It's the first major potential clue discovered in the search for Tibbetts, who hasn't been seen since July 18 when she left her boyfriend's home to go for a run.

A person mowing the lawn in the area found the article of clothing, which resembles a shirt worn by employees of a day care center where Tibbetts worked, according to Fox News.

Investigators are now scouring ditches near the hog farm for any sign of Tibbetts....”
Mollie Tibbetts Case: Could Red Shirt Hold the Key to Finding Missing Iowa College Student?

Investigators refused to comment on the red shirt at the time but we still don’t know if it’s connected, LE held everything close to the vest.

Would be interesting to know if they held on to it and ran DNA on it

Prisons require prisoners to work. They are required to keep the facility clean, grounds clean, work in the kitchen, etc. I think CR confessed so he wouldn't be deported. That may have been weighing on his mind.
Once ICE or Homeland security learns that an undocumented immigrant used another person’s name and identifying IDs, that person usually is held ina Federal prison. CR had to think out a plan that he wouldn’t be caught if he abducted MT. I believe that he had been watching her this summer and that 19 July he carried out that plan. CR is well aware of what might happen to himif he even gets a speeding ticket. His true identity could be revealed. I do not believe that he blacked out or snapped. IMO CR watched MT run and knew all of her routes.

I'm of the opinion that he had a plan for where he would abduct her, how he would do it, and where he would leave the body.

I am kinda sitting on the fence on this question. I think he planned to take Mollie that night when he saw her jogging, but I really dont believe he had a well laid-out plan for when and how, and what he would do with her after the fact. I believe most everything after abducting, and probably sexually assaulting her (my opinion only), and killing her...I believe everything after that may have been done on the fly. He didn't really need to have a spot picked out ahead of time to dump her. Most of us saw Sharon Needles' videos...There are cornfields everywhere you turn around there. Didn't require a lot of driving to find one. JMO

I tend to believe him too, they have been so tight lipped and when they do say something I think it’s important

This is probably way off, but I wonder if the same camera that caught MT jogging with black malibu following her also caught black malibu coming back and never saw MT again. 385 would be a route she'd likely have to backtrack on. LE has never stated this, of course, JMO (more like an idea).
Wasn't this the very information LE Rahn (or one of them) stated? I am thinking this was actually said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
curiousXladybug99