IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 *Arrest* #40

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have trouble with the quote button. Sometimes when I hit quote it starts my comments above the quote and then it breaks and finishes it below the quote. It's been doing that for the past few days. So I have to check my posts and sometimes re-write the beginning.

Clear your browser's cache.

I have trouble with the quote button. Sometimes when I hit quote it starts my comments above the quote and then it breaks and finishes it below the quote. It's been doing that for the past few days. So I have to check my posts and sometimes re-write the beginning.
Ahh, so maybe you're the culprit who started that broken quote many threads ago! JK.

now they just need to put this in all vehicles -onstar for psycho tracking

Do you realize that it could be defeated as simply as removing the fuse? Tracking innocent people is not the solution. That just takes away our privacy, and does nothing to stop crime. The criminals will just disable the tracking.

1000's of microbal species, but Trillions of individual microbes! And yeah, the clothes are a much better shot. Also, the DNA markers they a looking for are specific for human DNA.
so many microbes. they really are nature's clean-up crew. I am reminded of the Langoliers. I hope some survived to be caught.

I can believe she threatened to call, but I don't believe she ever took out her phone. For one thing, she probably didn't think she'd really have to call if she threatened to, and the other thing is that I believe the phone would have been dropped and/or damaged in the struggle if she had been holding it in her hand at the time. He may not be the brightest bulb on the tree, but I can't see purposely picking up and bringing along the one thing that could be used to track them. Not much of his story makes sense, but it definitely doesn't make him look innocent either. MOO

Thanks, this is really interesting. Why DID he have the route in his phone? Was it a pre-planned location? Or did he map out the route after he left her in the field so he could return to that spot?
I don't think he had the route on his phone at all. I think he just used his phone to look at a map to get directions to find the area for police. Others think he had it mapped out on his phone, however, and I was just trying to get clarification. As far as I know, it has not been confirmed , and I'm not sure if anyone responded to my post yet because I lost my phone for an hour and just found it. I was actually asking the same question you are!

SteveP said:
I am sure it has happened, but given CR's education level, and given the fact that English is not his first language, along with the unlikelihood that the trailer he lived in had great internet connections, I think the odds that he ever checked into this site are slim. JMO

Not too mention it would probably make him so angry he would block it all out!
I think he would get really angry, break his computer, come to with the mouse on his lap, and then remember he must have thrown the computer into the dumpster. because where else?
German is not my first language. I studied German and I've been known to go to all kinds of German sites and watch German tv shows like Heldt and Soko Wismar on ZDF. I've posted in German quite a bit on my FB before. I have acquaintances in Germany, so I've gotten a lot of practice reading their posts and responding. At first it was a headache, but now I find it enjoyable, though the responding gets old. It's just so much easier to respond in English for me. If WS was available in German, I'd probably look at it out of curiosity, but I would go back to the English one. I think I'm the nerdy exception rather than the rule, though. Most of the people on my FB list only post or comment in one language unless they throw a single word in here or there. or a couple, ie. "Happy Birthday" Sometimes there is the occasional "Google English" for commenting. It's been my observation that most people don't like to read or comment in other languages, and there are probably plenty of Spanish sites talking about him that would take less effort for him to follow. I just don't think CR is nerdy enough to follow forums in English, though I think his English is probably good enough that he could.

These are TEXTS exchanging.
But, is it the texts that she is referring to his temper? You can’t tell tone over text- my husband and I have had this conversation many times because he often thinks I’m mad when in fact, I’m just super busy. From what I read, did the suspect just converse via text with the girl that was looking for Mollie?

:):):)
But, without sperm will there be DNA? Seminal fluid will likely be long gone so I’m not sure if DNA from sperm can linger after the sperm are already broken down by the decomposition or not. I mean, what if there was rape without ejaculation. Would DNA be present to indicate a rape?
skin cells from the shaft could have transferred.

I used to work extracting DNA from hair. I don't know anything about forensics, but I do know when an animal dies in a field, there is oftentimes hair scattered around the decomposing body. Does hair have a slower rate of decomposition? I do know under the right conditions, hair follicles are an excellent source of DNA.
I came across a forest area that was scattered with deer carcasses and the only thing left was bones, peritoneum and fur. I didn’t poke around, but probably desiccated organs in there too. Ick.

Last edited:
Yes, without sperm there could be DNA. And yes you can have DNA evidence without ejaculation. Sperm on clothing is much easier to detect, even after washing clothing several times it can be detected.
When you're talking about a sexual attack, there is several ways that DNA is transferred and can be found. Fingernails are the first area, fighting the attacker off will cause epithelial cells to be embedded under the nails. Additionally pubic hairs are lost and transferred, without a condom there are epithelial cells left behind from the friction of the assault, the more friction the greater number of cells left behind. This kind of transfer of epithelial cells is called "touch DNA" . Additionally you can have small fissures and abrasions that leave behind blood, sweat, and then there's saliva. Every cell in you body contains your DNA, so think about how many cells are transferred during that kind of contact.
and with rape, there's bound to be even more friction

Curious how his father knows what he would do if he did the crime.....

“If he had done what they say he did, he would have come back here [to Mexico],” Eduardo Bahena Radilla, his father, said in a telephone interview from Guayabillo, a small town in Mexico. “But he’s innocent, so he didn’t run and hide.”
it's cliché to leave the country. I'm not surprised his father would think that or say that.

Yeah, it's also called a "red out" and can be as you describe with spotty recollection, or razor sharp recall of the oddest detail. It's part of the tachypsychia phenomena associated with adreneralin release. Stuff slows down, like in a bad kung fu movie. Been there, seen that myself (The tachypsychia part).

My father retired from a major, urban PD when he had a episode, like you described, when dealing with a prisoner on the tiers. He realized it was time to walk away after 25+ years before he really lost it! And he had 19 years as a beat (foot patrol) cop. God bless him.

Glad your son was there to pull your coat tail, stuff happens. I too have thought that CR's "block out" could be a "red out"' associated with something like intermittent anger disorder.

But, yeah you're right.

MOO
I had this happen to me once in my life. I won’t discuss the boring details but I can say I permanently left the situation because I knew that I could do something horrific if it ever happened again. I don’t believe IMO this is what he experienced. He is making excuses for his behavior IMO

Just as an FYI for those of us discussing DNA from semen, my husband who has 17 years experience as a detective said that a body left in the elements for 30 days will likely *not* have any retrievable DNA from the vagina. BUT... that it is all dependent on the decomposition process of the individual victim and each victim decomposes in their own way even though the basics of decomposition are the same. So, it is possible to find evidence of a sexual assault after 30 days but would be highly unlikely. He said typically in that situation, they take samples from the entire body and “hope for the best.”

As for fingernails, he said in his opinion and experience, DNA can be found under the fingernails for quite a while and he said he believes at 30 days post death there would be a good chance of recovering DNA from fingernails.

- just my opinion. Actually, my husband’s opinion... but same difference :)

I used to work extracting DNA from hair. I don't know anything about forensics, but I do know when an animal dies in a field, there is oftentimes hair scattered around the decomposing body. Does hair have a slower rate of decomposition? I do know under the right conditions, hair follicles are an excellent source of DNA.
Yes, hair is one of the last things to decompose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay