IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 *Arrest* #40

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
That is why I was asking the length of time sperm was valid on a decomposing body because even if he did rape her it might be long gone but there will be DNA. But according to what BUF posted there can be a 5-6 week span where it might be able to be retrieved depending on so many things such as stage and length of decomp, temperatures, bug & maggot activity etc.
I'm wondering if pesticide use might reduce bug activity in the field, or would that be only on the cornstalks?

This may have been mentioned before as I have not read everything but a few days ago there was a lot of discussion regarding what the distinctive traits were of the black Malibu. Thoughts from the chrome door handles to possible damaged bumper. If you look at the picture where it is being towed it looks like it has chrome rope trim around the Windows- at least the front. This would definitely be a D instinctive feature. Here is link to picture. You have to blow it up to see

The Search For Mollie Ends In Heartbreak - Oskaloosa News

I came across a forest area that was scattered with deer carcasses and the only thing left was bones, mesentery and fur. I didn’t poke around, but probably desiccated organs in there too. Ick.

I live on what, 20 years ago, would have been considered a country road. Times have changed and I now have 700 new neighbors, but I still walk my dog on my road daily, and there are at least three deer carcasses off the side of the road as I walk, all of which I have seen in all the varying stages of decomposition. It is definitely not a pretty sight, and a day or two after death, the smell is VERY noticeable, and vultures or buzzards will camp out at the spot for several days. I do not know how far the area where Mollie was left is from a home, or how well the field is tended, but I still am amazed that she was not found until her alleged killer (yes, that IS what I will continue to call him) led LE to her. JMO

Thanks, this is really interesting. Why DID he have the route in his phone? Was it a pre-planned location? Or did he map out the route after he left her in the field so he could return to that spot?
About the map on his phone...MOO. I do not, personally, believe he had a route planned out and saved on his phone. I don't think he probably used his phone to map at all on the night in question. If he did, I'd say it's just as likely he used it to find a less-traveled way home than any other reason. Any scenario would depend on how familiar he is to the area and its back roads.

The main reason I brought this up today was because it says on the affidavit that he used his phone to determine the route he traveled from Brooklyn (to the cornfield). With more than one way to drive from Brooklyn area to cornfield, then I questioned how he knew which route he had taken if he had "blocked" those "memories." Having searched a map on his phone previously was just one possibility. However, as a few people have posted, some phones do track the history of travels and locations, so without knowing if CR's phone was capable of this function, we have no way to determine this.

I'm wondering if pesticide use might reduce bug activity in the field, or would that be only on the cornstalks?

I would kind of doubt if pesticides on the crop would stop flys and insects from seeking out rotting flesh. Plus I am not sure when Iowa brings in their corn but picking time where I am is end of July & August so when Mollie was placed there the ears were already either picked or getting ready to be picked. I wonder when they picked the area where she was? That would tell me that in that 5 weeks that she was missing no one entered those cornfields.

Just as an FYI for those of us discussing DNA from semen, my husband who has 17 years experience as a detective said that a body left in the elements for 30 days will likely *not* have any retrievable DNA from the vagina. BUT... that it is all dependent on the decomposition process of the individual victim and each victim decomposes in their own way even though the basics of decomposition are the same. So, it is possible to find evidence of a sexual assault after 30 days but would be highly unlikely. He said typically in that situation, they take samples from the entire body and “hope for the best.”

As for fingernails, he said in his opinion and experience, DNA can be found under the fingernails for quite a while and he said he believes at 30 days post death there would be a good chance of recovering DNA from fingernails.

- just my opinion. Actually, my husband’s opinion... but same difference :)

Please thank him for his input. It matches what I think and have been saying. As a poster said above, we are cautiously optimistic about this.

Also, please thank him for his service. My dad was career LE.

Please thank him for his input. It matches what I think and have been saying. As a poster said above, we are cautiously optimistic about this.

Also, please thank him for his service. My dad was career LE.
I will tell him! He wanted to be a police officer since he was 2 years old and followed his dream. He truly loves his job. Thanks so much!

it's cliché to leave the country. I'm not surprised his father would think that or say that.
I actually feel bad for the dad. He sounds like a hard working man who could never believe his son, who was a teenager when he left home, could possibly do such a horrible thing. I can't imagine him NOT being in denial. He has no idea what's going on over here. All he knows is his child is being accused of something he could never imagine.

I live on what, 20 years ago, would have been considered a country road. Times have changed and I now have 700 new neighbors, but I still walk my dog on my road daily, and there are at least three deer carcasses off the side of the road as I walk, all of which I have seen in all the varying stages of decomposition. It is definitely not a pretty sight, and a day or two after death, the smell is VERY noticeable, and vultures or buzzards will camp out at the spot for several days. I do not know how far the area where Mollie was left is from a home, or how well the field is tended, but I still am amazed that she was not found until her alleged killer (yes, that IS what I will continue to call him) led LE to her. JMO
I agree. There had to be that odor of death. When a deer is hit and runs off the road and dies I know immediately what has happened and it lingers for days. One of the worst odors ever.

I would kind of doubt if pesticides on the crop would stop flys and insects from seeking out rotting flesh. Plus I am not sure when Iowa brings in their corn but picking time where I am is end of July & August so when Mollie was placed there the ears were already either picked or getting ready to be picked. I wonder when they picked the area where she was? That would tell me that in that 5 weeks that she was missing no one entered those cornfields.
I believe it was said to be in Autumn, late September to October. So at least another month until she would have been found.

Last edited:
Under Iowa law, no further autopsy results will be released to the public. The family can request a copy of the findings. We'll just have to wait for the trial, if there ever is one. Hey, Stuff happens! And someone tell Occam to put down that razor before he cuts someone.
Any additional charges and their ability to hold might imply further autopsy results, though.

probably the other person isn't paying taxes because they are dead?

oh, if alive, maybe they are too young to pay taxes?

My sister-in-law talked about this more today and that was the only conclusion we could think of. A fake license you can get anywhere but the SS/paycheck/taxes we were like how do they do that.
So the person whose SS# must be dead, I guess and the IRS just doesn't see it?
So you have the fake SS card/name/number, the name is say Joe Smith. You file your taxes under Joe, you could give your address as Yarabee farm because that is where you now live and that works I suppose.
I am just a law abiding citizen and honestly would not know how to get away with such a thing but it happens everyday so it can't be that difficult? At least it sure seems that way.

About the map on his phone...MOO. I do not, personally, believe he had a route planned out and saved on his phone. I don't think he probably used his phone to map at all on the night in question. If he did, I'd say it's just as likely he used it to find a less-traveled way home than any other reason. Any scenario would depend on how familiar he is to the area and its back roads.

The main reason I brought this up today was because it says on the affidavit that he used his phone to determine the route he traveled from Brooklyn (to the cornfield). With more than one way to drive from Brooklyn area to cornfield, then I questioned how he knew which route he had taken if he had "blocked" those "memories." Having searched a map on his phone previously was just one possibility. However, as a few people have posted, some phones do track the history of travels and locations, so without knowing if CR's phone was capable of this function, we have no way to determine this.
I wonder if he knew the cornfield area beforehand as a “makeout” spot. Lots of that happens in those field pull offs in corn country. I had a friend in high school who’s father was a farmer and he was always chasing kids off his land where the secluded pull offs were.

This may have been mentioned before as I have not read everything but a few days ago there was a lot of discussion regarding what the distinctive traits were of the black Malibu. Thoughts from the chrome door handles to possible damaged bumper. If you look at the picture where it is being towed it looks like it has chrome rope trim around the Windows- at least the front. This would definitely be a D instinctive feature. Here is link to picture. You have to blow it up to see

The Search For Mollie Ends In Heartbreak - Oskaloosa News
It had it around the windows, license plate, and door handles. I wonder if there is a chrome package option?

Could they have tricked him telling him they have his route based on pings and he said no I took this route?

He can’t be that dense can he?

He was smart enough to leave out that he murdered her
Smart enough or just doesn’t want to admit it. I think he got in way over his head. Honestly I still think this is a “rage” crime. He never planned to kill her. He planned to stalk her. He planned to flirt with her in hopes of her returning his advances. Have you ever been around a person that can flip from ok to enraged like a light switch. I think that is this guy. He lost control and panicked afterwards to cover it up.

I wonder if he knew the cornfield area beforehand as a “makeout” spot. Lots of that happens in those field pull offs in corn country. I had a friend in high school who’s father was a farmer and he was always chasing kids off his land where the secluded pull offs were.
I also wondered that about the abandoned buildings around that 430 and 200 spot. One thing I did note when I was studying the map is that there was a pull off just west of the pig farm, too. I wonder if the last digital ping LE talked about from there took place because CR stopped to check it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay