IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 *Arrest* #41

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've read this a couple of times on WS and don't know where it comes from that MT was going to mom's?

Everything I've read states that it wasn't till the following morning when MT didn't show up for work that staff contacted her boy friend who then called her family. It was after family going to the house where she was staying and not finding MT that police were called.

If mom was expecting MT the previous night and didn't arrive wouldn't mom have tried to determine why she hadn't?
This was discussed extensively in older threads. It was determined that this was a casual, come if you can, type situation, with 3 kids living there having different schedules. This was normal according to the family dynamics and her mom stated that she assumed she just got busy doing other things and had no cause for concern at that time.

I wonder if CR took Mollie to a location on or very near the pig farm where she passed based on FitBit info. There had to be a reason the pig farm was of importance. IMO
I think he may have stopped there to get rid of evidence after he left her in the cornfield. Maybe he ( stupidly) hadn't turned off the phone until then. It's confusing because an investigator misspoke and said, "fit bit pings" when it was actually cell phone pings.

Mollie had only been a university student for one year, and we know that CR had been living in the area for at least four years. Pretty sure he ventured off the farm occasionally. No one is saying she knew him to the extent that they were great friends, or even friends at all. I will go so far as to say that perhaps she really didn't know very much about him, but I believe, in an area the size of Brooklyn, and with the closeness of their ages, and the fact that his baby's mama, IM, who he has apparently been involved with at least off and on for likely some four years, graduated in the same very small class as Mollie's boyfriend, in the tiny high school where it is likely that everyone at least knew everyone else by face, and probably name, there is no way that she had never encountered him. Also, we know IM was at court when CR made his first appearance. It doesn't help CR's case at all to suddenly admit that he knew Mollie, and I don't necessarily believe that IM would offer that information. Beyond that, I don't know who might have been close enough to Mollie to know. And lastly, because LE says something publicly, it doesn't mean they may not know or suspect something else privately, and even with that, they specified there was no KNOWN connnection beyond him seeing her jog before the night of her murder. JMO MOO and all that.
I wondered that too and thinking that if she did notice him driving by her several times and recognized him as someone she’d seen around, it didn’t cause her enough distrust not to turn down East 385th Ave and run in a direction that was less populated.

His dad said he left Mexico around 16 to work, I don’t think school was ever on his todo list, so if he arrived here he probably had the fake documents stating he was older to avoid that?

He could have come as a dreamer but he really came to work and send money home from what his family said.

For the record I was talking about compulsory education laws for undocumented children in general. Which wouldn't apply to him anyway since he was over 16. And I agree. I think it is unlikely he ever attended school there. Starting high school with little or no English language ability would be difficult. If he was a few years younger, maybe, but not at that age. My mother immigrated to the US from Lithuania when she was 16, and she never attended school here. After she had learned enough English, she took a GED test.

Is a phone necessary for the ping info of a Fitbit or will the data continue to collect and then load if you put it in your computer? For example, my older model Garmin doesn’t require my phone. I go on my run, it tracks my info, and then when I get home I can plug it into my computer and see all of my info. So, if the police found her Fitbit would they be able to retrieve the data without her phone? I’m not too familiar with how the Fitbits work.
A phone is not required for Fitbit.
Fitbit dashboard. The dashboard is where you can track your progress, see how you slept, set goals, log food and water, routes, heart rate, cardio fitness and more. Fitbit trackers and watches use Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) technology to sync with tablets, certain computers, or phones. Fitbit scales use Wi-Fi to connect directly to your router.

If your device is paired to the Fitbit app, it syncs every time you open the app. If you turn on All-Day sync it also syncs periodically throughout the day. If you sync your device with a computer and Fitbit Connect, it syncs automatically every 15 to 30 minutes when the Fitbit device and computer are nearby to update the dashboard.

Last edited:
I'm now back to my original thought that she was abducted alive on 385th. Somehow got a head injury there and was put in the trunk of his car. I briefly had second thoughts for two reasons. Investigators never called it an abduction, kidnapping, and no charges made. Only first degree murder. The other reason being that he couldn't accomplish the drive to where her body was found in 43 minutes because I thought the drive was around forty minutes. Now that we've seen maps with the shortest drive being about twenty minutes, that would work out about perfect. That would leave about twenty minutes to get her out of the vehicle, carry/drag her into the corn, assault her sexually, most likely, stab her to death seemingly. Her heart stops at 8:28 and he covers her with the stalks. MOO at this time. So sad to think about. I really hope she was unconscious through all this from the head injury that CR said she had.
Moo
Except....." For whatever reason, he chose to abduct her,” Rahn said.

This was discussed extensively in older threads. It was determined that this was a casual, come if you can, type situation, with 3 kids living there having different schedules. This was normal according to the family dynamics and her mom stated that she assumed she just got busy doing other things and had no cause for concern at that time.
OK. Thanks for that. Late joining WS and moved faster than I could follow.

I have gone over that a million times

Not placing any blame just an observation as a Mom of three

If any of my kids had me pick up ingredients to make a dessert for the next day and I thought they were coming for dinner I would have called or texted them asking they were.

It’s happened many times when my kids asked for a specific thing for dinner and then ended up staying at their friends house, but I always got in touch with them to find out what was going on.

We all get busy in our lives but this is a reminder to watch for red flags, not matter how insignificant and check up on loved ones when things are out of place.
True, but that's certainly not what all people would think or do. And if one kid doesn't show up you would likely never think to yourself, " I hope she wasn't kidnapped and murdered."

Except....." For whatever reason, he chose to abduct her,” Rahn said.

LE comments to the media are always carefully crafted. Abduction was CRs intent but notice his comment doesn’t indicate whether or not the abduction occurred while Mollie was still alive or if she fought with her life to prevent being taken.

Multiple sharp force injuries suggests rage, violence, interaction between two people, the helpless victim not armed with a weapon. I just can’t believe his story that Mollie was placed in a trunk with only a wound to the head but then later, according to the autopsy report, there was reason to stab her multiple times.

Last edited:
I have gone over that a million times

Not placing any blame just an observation as a Mom of three

If any of my kids had me pick up ingredients to make a dessert for the next day and I thought they were coming for dinner I would have called or texted them asking they were.

It’s happened many times when my kids asked for a specific thing for dinner and then ended up staying at their friends house, but I always got in touch with them to find out what was going on.

We all get busy in our lives but this is a reminder to watch for red flags, not matter how insignificant and check up on loved ones when things are out of place.

The dessert was for Friday. Just because this is the way you would do it, doesn't make it the right way.

IIRC the dessert was for Friday

I don’t know now, I thought I had read it was for the field trip the next day, will look for it.

Could only find this article.

Calderwood said she had exchanged several text messages with her daughter that afternoon.

“She had sent me a shopping list for a dessert she wanted to make and take to work,” she said. “I texted her that I got the ingredients and asked if she was coming home for dinner.”

According to Calderwood, Tibbetts said she would be home and asked what they were having. “Brats,” she replied. “Ok,” Tibbetts responded.

But dinner came and went, Calderwood said, and Tibbetts didn’t come home.

Disappearance of University of Iowa student Mollie Tibbetts remains a mystery

The dessert was for Friday. Just because this is the way you would do it, doesn't make it the right way.

I never said it was the right way, it’s just how I do it.

And after this incident I will be even more vigilant when I think someone is supposed to be somewhere and doesn’t show up, but that’s how I am.

I don’t tell someone I’ll be over and then never just show up, I know lots of people are like that though.

And I can’t find any article yet that says the dessert was for Friday, only this article, stating it was for work.

I'm now back to my original thought that she was abducted alive on 385th. Somehow got a head injury there and was put in the trunk of his car. I briefly had second thoughts for two reasons. Investigators never called it an abduction, kidnapping, and no charges made. Only first degree murder. The other reason being that he couldn't accomplish the drive to where her body was found in 43 minutes because I thought the drive was around forty minutes. Now that we've seen maps with the shortest drive being about twenty minutes, that would work out about perfect. That would leave about twenty minutes to get her out of the vehicle, carry/drag her into the corn, assault her sexually, most likely, stab her to death seemingly. Her heart stops at 8:28 and he covers her with the stalks. MOO at this time. So sad to think about. I really hope she was unconscious through all this from the head injury that CR said she had.
Moo
For this to happen, I would think there could have been an accomplice perhaps driving the car IMO. I wonder if LE looked at all of carseats used for CR kid. I am trying to think what would make MT talk to this guy, perhaps he started of talking about his daughter or something.

I don’t know now, I thought I had read it was for the field trip the next day, will look for it.

Could only find this article.

Calderwood said she had exchanged several text messages with her daughter that afternoon.

“She had sent me a shopping list for a dessert she wanted to make and take to work,” she said. “I texted her that I got the ingredients and asked if she was coming home for dinner.”

According to Calderwood, Tibbetts said she would be home and asked what they were having. “Brats,” she replied. “Ok,” Tibbetts responded.

But dinner came and went, Calderwood said, and Tibbetts didn’t come home.

The party was planned for Friday. She was not making it for the field trip.

I never said it was the right way, it’s just how I do it.

And after this incident I will be even more vigilant when I think someone is supposed to be somewhere and doesn’t show up, but that’s how I am.

I don’t tell someone I’ll be over and then never just show up, I know lots of people are like that though.

And I can’t find any article yet that says the dessert was for Friday, only this article, stating it was for work.

Not that's it's that important, but Mollie never said she would be there for dinner at all. She just said "ok", after asking what her mom said what she was making.

I believe there is so much more we will learn as time goes by and trial gets closer.

Much of it I believe both sides will have a deep concern over the gruesome facts in this case. They must carefully weigh whether it is anyone’s best interest to make the terrible facts public. And if the accused has one minuscule ounce of human compassion and goodness left in him, he will speak truth and allow justice to take its course. And too the attorneys involved.

And keeping the facts from further damaging everyone most substantial reason to negotiate a plea.

I hope the prosecution is strong enough to take it to trial. Although Mollie and her legacy belongs to her family, the crime was against her AND THE UNITED STATES AND THE PEOPLE OF THE STATE OF IOWA. it sounds cruel and it’s a very fine line to walk. The fact is this horrible situation was a violation against the State. The state manages it and they are tasked with prosecution.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member