Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 *Arrest* #47

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not surprised they moved the trial date, but I'm wondering why they moved location?

Scott County is substantially smaller than Woodland.

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fact/table/scottcountyiowa/PST045219

Most of the court houses here have been shut down since April and some are starting to open back up for criminal hearings/trials, but there's expected to be a huge backlog at the Woodbury Courthouse so I think the judge decided to move the trial to Scott County because there would be less of a backlog there...While I'm not happy that the trial is taking so long to happen, I'm glad I at least have a chance to try to attend it since Scott County is only an hour and a half away versus the 4 hours to Woodbury County...I don't have any specific reason for attending other than wanting to see justice for Mollie (I went out on one of the searches for her so her case has been special to me)...

Most of the court houses here have been shut down since April and some are starting to open back up for criminal hearings/trials, but there's expected to be a huge backlog at the Woodbury Courthouse so I think the judge decided to move the trial to Scott County because there would be less of a backlog there...While I'm not happy that the trial is taking so long to happen, I'm glad I at least have a chance to try to attend it since Scott County is only an hour and a half away versus the 4 hours to Woodbury County...I don't have any specific reason for attending other than wanting to see justice for Mollie (I went out on one of the searches for her so her case has been special to me)...
Makes sense. I'm so excited to have 'boots on the ground' now that it's in Scott Co. We have another poster who was planning to go @SharonNeedles, but I'm not sure with all the craziness going on in 2020.

Mollie is special to me too, I'm a very active runner and her case really resonated with me. I think of her often.

#Justice4Mollie

We still aren’t doing jury trials yet - I wonder what their courts are doing ?

Makes sense. I'm so excited to have 'boots on the ground' now that it's in Scott Co. We have another poster who was planning to go @SharonNeedles, but I'm not sure with all the craziness going on in 2020.

Mollie is special to me too, I'm a very active runner and her case really resonated with me. I think of her often.

#Justice4Mollie
Woodbury County just wasn't working out for me, but Scott County... I sometimes work in Scott County and I've got a place to stay locally. I'm planning on being there. Hard to commit to anything right now, but let's plan on it.

https://www.1011now.com/2020/07/13/trial-delayed-in-the-murder-of-mollie-tibbetts/

A judge agreed to delay the trial of Cristhian Bahena Rivera until January 25, 2021. The judge also moved the location for the trial to Scott County.

Court documents list concerns around COVID-19 as the reasons for the trial to be delayed. The document also sites difficulty with social distancing during the trial and the “expected glut of cases” in Woodbury County following the pandemic.

Woodbury County just wasn't working out for me, but Scott County... I sometimes work in Scott County and I've got a place to stay locally. I'm planning on being there. Hard to commit to anything right now, but let's plan on it.
Most excellent to hear SN, you did such a great job during the search and your vids. Thanks! :)

From the link quoted:

“The officers who work in ICE and in the immigration prosecutor’s office… they are as smart and savvy actors as anyone else in the criminal justice system and they have a lot of digressions,” Elias said. “It’s totally possible, probable, that they see how important this case is and they don’t want to interfere. But the fact that they are choosing not to interfere, and they are choosing to let the criminal procedures go forward before any immigration stuff happens, that’s a choice that they’re making.”

At any point, the federal government could prioritize removing Bahena Rivera from the United States, Elias said.

The conflicts between criminal and immigration courts can cause the noncitizen to be the mediator between judges, causing misunderstandings.

I think if BR was able to remain in the US for all the good, he should not be removed when he has to answer for the bad. And not out of the good of the ICE prosecutors heart. MOO

TONIGHT: We hear from the brother of Suzanne Morphew, who has been missing since Mother's Day

Update on Mollie's trial tonight on Court TV. The teaser begins with what the Prosecutor might be afraid of...
Thanks for the heads up! I think it’s either airing or re-airing 10p.m. EST. I sincerely hope the prosecutor fears NOTHING at this point. Because the only thing I fear at this juncture is a slam-dunk conviction lost to some outrageous loophole. Justice for Mollie!

Thanks for the heads up! I think it’s either airing or re-airing 10p.m. EST. I sincerely hope the prosecutor fears NOTHING at this point. Because the only thing I fear at this juncture is a slam-dunk conviction lost to some outrageous loophole. Justice for Mollie!

I just watched the Court TV episode and IMO, the alleged prosecutors fear was not a cited fear from the actual prosecutor but a guest who seems to believe the defendants confession was coerced. IMO, the hours of suppression evidence took care of those rumors. I watched those hearings! I doubt the guest did. MOO

I just watched the Court TV episode and IMO, the alleged prosecutors fear was not a cited fear from the actual prosecutor but a guest who seems to believe the defendants confession was coerced. IMO, the hours of suppression evidence took care of those rumors. I watched those hearings! I doubt the guest did. MOO
Good to hear! I’m using toothpicks to prop my eyelids open & catch the 2nd airing EST. It’s way past my bedtime, but I’m in it for the long haul for Mollie!

Yeah the Court TV stuff is fluff - drama for TV content. Law enforcement has crossed their t's and dotted their i's on this one. The killer isn't getting off or even getting a light sentence - period. He will be a guest of the state for many, many years.

While the trial got delayed again to JAN 2021, I wouldn't be surprised if his defense waits until the 11th hour and asks for another continuance. Pretty common in these types of trials when you have a defendant that's so obviously guilty. Time can buy you wiggle room because witnesses memories fade, evidence goes stale and prosecutors and victim's families edges soften.

However, that's in cases where there isn't a mountain of physical evidence plus the guy outright admitting to the crime. All the suppression tactics have failed so his confession will go on as he told it. At this point, his defense's strategy is absolutely not to get him off - that's not happening. It's to get him something less than what would amount to a life sentence. 25-40 years with the possibility of parole would be a major legal victory at this point.

State is patiently letting the process work itself out and playing their hand when it's their turn. They have such a strong one they don't need to do anything else. He will be found guilty and will be imprisoned for a long time regardless.

Bumping for Mollie. Sitting vigil for justice for her and closure and peace for her loved ones. Breaks my heart, what was done to her in the prime of her life, by this monster.

Hoping CR is miserable as all get out, and the only thing that breaks up his day in prison is a visit from the suicide watch squad (I totally made that up!!). MOO

I knew this was coming, all trials in Iowa have been getting pushed back due to covid.

Trial for Cristhian Bahena Rivera further delayed due to pandemic

Court documents filed Wednesday in Poweshiek County indicate that Bahena Rivera’s jury trial in the death of Mollie Tibbetts will take place May 17 in Scott County.
Thanks, SN. Delayed or not, his day is coming!

Also noting:

A pretrial conference scheduled for Jan. 12 is continued to April 14 and will be held at the Poweshiek County Courthouse.

Mollie Tibbetts: Trial delayed to May due to COVID in 2018 murder case (desmoinesregister.com)
The trial will remain in Davenport, as previously ordered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member