Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 *Arrest* #48

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Given the brutality we know, I question about the brutality that we do not know. Her body was somewhat skeletonized, and there had been a heavy downpour that washed evidence away. I think this suspect should be imprisoned for life.

Is first degree murder a life sentence in Iowa, or is it something like 25 years and then he's extradited to Mexico at age 49?

I don't post much but follow along,I thought I heard in the testimony today,that she was also missing a tooth,maybe he hit her also in the face.

A toe bone was also missing, so the question was whether animals carried them away, but I agree - the tooth should be firmly implanted in the jaw bone, not carried away by animals unless it was loosened by a blow to the face.

I am curious why they didn't mention CBR's cell activity. He had a phone, so I wonder if he had it on him that night? I can't imagine why they wouldn't introduce that evidence if he did have it. It would ping where she was and where her phone was. Maybe he didn't have the phone?

I also would have liked to see how long the Fitbit was stopped or not moving in the same way it was previously while she was running and during the time they had it going 60mp.. how long was it not moving at all before the 60mph? Maybe they said and I missed it?

Last thing would be checking out his cell data in the weeks before this. Did he drive around looking for her other nights? Did he just decide that day she was the target? Did the camera pick him up in the days before that? Had he been to that cornfield before? It seems like the perfect spot and I don't think someone plans this out and then doesn't have an idea in mind already where to take her. Did he visit that spot before or since the day of her murder? He had 5 weeks between the killing and his arrest. Was his cell ever pinging in that area after that? His cell data was not even mentioned that I heard. I wonder why that is.
I was surprised, no mention of tracking his cell phone.

The fitbit data was never uploaded, I'm assuming they needed the device, which was not found.

Last edited:
Why did CBR tell the story he did and then take LE to the body? I know most the details are hidden within his "black out," but he could just as easily have told them nothing.

The thing is, if prosecution can't prove where she died, the defense can fall back on that open void of time where she was alive and he was blacked out. Could another person have entered the picture in that time? Can they prove nobody did? I just can't believe the defense is throwing crap at the wall, seeing what sticks, without some kind of purpose. I'm not questioning CBR's guilt, but I'm curious what defense will have to say. Guess we'll have to see what defense brings to the table, if anything.

Last edited:
I was surprised, no mention of tracking his cell phone.

The fitbit data was never uploaded, I'm assuming they needed the device, which was not found.

Maybe his phone was turned off before he attacked her.

Her Fitbit was synced with her Fitbit wifi Account, so investigators had her heart rate and number of steps. There were witness reports from people who had seen her jogging before she was abducted. Given that she had a few regular running routes, police must have zeroed in on the area where he was circling her and requested CCTV footage. Now that I think of it, there were 5 areas where investigators requested footage, including a truck stop on the nearby highway.

I don't think she realized that he was stalking her. If she had realized it, she could have run straight to her mother's house, but instead she ran out along the deserted road running out of town.

Her heart rate spiked twice for periods of time, then stopped. That info was published in 2018, but I haven't found the link recently.

Why did CBR tell the story he did and then take LE to the body? I know most the details are hidden within his "black out," but he could just as easily have told them nothing.

The thing is, if prosecution can't prove where she died, the defense can fall back on that open void of time where she was alive and he was blacked out. Could another person have entered the picture in that time? Can they prove nobody did? I just can't believe the defense is throwing crap at the wall, seeing what sticks, without some kind of purpose. I'm not questioning CBR's guilt, but I think there could be more to the story. Guess we'll have to see what defense brings to the table, of anything.

Did he say that he blacked, found the ear buds on his lap and suddenly realized he had stabbed a jogger in the scull, or did he say he blacked out and came to while she was in the trunk.

The better story would be that she was in the field when he came to, but his story seems to be that he came to and she was in the trunk, so he proceeded to brutally rape and murder her.

Impossible that there is a third party. The suspect said that he was alone that night during his interview.

They are interviewing neighbors of the family. The neighbors are saying that his mother is distraught and fears that he may never be able to return home. The comments after the video are not sympathetic to him at all.

Thank you!

If his mother feared that he would never again return home at the time of arrest, then I think his mother knew right away that he is guilty. I do wonder whether he was sent to live with his uncle in the USA at the age of 17 because he needed/wanted to get out of the country. Perhaps the only reason he was sent to the USA was to give him opportunity, but he had no parental supervision after arrival. How is that opportunity?

Her Fitbit was synced with her Fitbit wifi Account, so investigators had her heart rate and number of steps. There were witness reports from people who had seen her jogging before she was abducted. Given that she had a few regular running routes, police must have zeroed in on the area where he was circling her and requested CCTV footage. Now that I think of it, there were 5 areas where investigators requested footage, including a truck stop on the nearby highway.

I don't think she realized that he was stalking her. If she had realized it, she could have run straight to her mother's house, but instead she ran out along the deserted road running out of town.

Her heart rate spiked twice for periods of time, then stopped. That info was published in 2018, but I haven't found the link recently.

Thanks, I remember many discussions about the Fit bit and the heart rate accelerating, stopping. I thought we would see the heart information correlated into the timeline.

Thank you!

If his mother feared that he would never again return home at the time of arrest, then I think his mother knew right away that he is guilty. I do wonder whether he was sent to live with his uncle in the USA at the age of 17 because he needed/wanted to get out of the country. Perhaps the only reason he was sent to the USA was to give him opportunity, but he had no parental supervision after arrival. How is that opportunity?

I have no clue on “parental supervision”. But, I have wondered if this is his first offense…

Did he say that he blacked, found the ear buds on his lap and suddenly realized he had stabbed a jogger in the scull, or did he say he blacked out and came to while she was in the trunk.

The better story would be that she was in the field when he came to, but his story seems to be that he came to and she was in the trunk, so he proceeded to brutally rape and murder her.

Impossible that there is a third party. The suspect said that he was alone that night during his interview.
I think it's BS, but I'm just trying to guess where defense might be going, and I'm wondering if they're going to try to inject reasonable doubt during the black out.

The thing is, if prosecution can't prove where she died, the defense can fall back on that open void of time where she was alive and he was blacked out. Could another person have entered the picture in that time? Can they prove nobody did? I just can't believe the defense is throwing crap at the wall, seeing what sticks, without some kind of purpose. I'm not questioning CBR's guilt, but I'm curious what defense will have to say. Guess we'll have to see what defense brings to the table, if anything.
I think he realized LE knew he approached Molly since his car was the only one seen circling around the area. They also may have told him they found her blood in the trunk. He's not that bright, after all.

His blackout story is likely the shocking parts he didn't want to admit to.

I don't think there is any chance another person was involved, otherwise he would have just blamed the whole thing on him. Imo

Thanks, I remember many discussions about the Fit bit and the heart rate accelerating, stopping. I thought we would see the heart information correlated into the timeline.
The one investigator said during the trial that he doesn't know when she died. Didn't I see that? I'm surprised the ME or somebody didn't give location or time of death, or either side didn't ask about it, if that information was known.

I can't see how time of abduction and death could be introduced without a reference to the Fitbit data. Was a timeline of attack and murder introduced Perhaps the prosecution is confident of a conviction with the simple story that he stalked her, he was found out and arrested, he led police to the body.

I've been searching for that link that described her heart rate spiking, then finally slowing down, and I can't find it either. There was a lot of discussion about it but I can't find which thread it was on.

I have no clue on “parental supervision”. But, I have wondered if this is his first offense…

I don't think this is his first sexual offence. It might be his first murder. I question whether his family sent him to the USA alone at the age of 17, as an illegal alien, because he ran into trouble at home.

He attended school in a nearby town, where he also played soccer.

I think it's BS, but I'm just trying to guess where defense might be going, and I'm wondering if they're going to try to inject reasonable doubt during the black out.

The defence will try everything. They'll attack Mollies' boyfriend's reputation, blame her for inciting him with threats to phone police, suggest that she invited his attention by waving at him while she was jogging, imply that the suspect thought she was "cute" and then went into a blackout over fear that he would be deported for speaking to a woman - although he didn't speak English.

The one investigator said during the trial that he doesn't know when she died. Didn't I see that? I'm surprised the ME or somebody didn't give location or time of death, or either side didn't ask about it, if that information was known.

The heart rate data on the day that she was abducted had to come from the technology expert. The Medical Examiner said that she'd been in the corn field for 5 weeks and she was mostly skeleton. Hour of death is impossible after 5 weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zorboz