Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 *Arrest* #48

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't really tell by the pictures, either. I thought the ME examiner said that the neck wound may have been consistent with a slashing motion. It was near the jugular and carotid artery. Whatever the case, it was a frenzied, brutal attack.

I don't know how someone escalates to this kind of violent crime without any history of assault or aggressive behavior.

I'm wondering that too. He was 24 years old when he attacked Mollie Tibbetts.

At age 17, his parents sent him to sneak into the USA alone and find his uncle in Iowa. From there he had good counsel to establish false documents and work illegally, secure an anchor baby/wife, and have nice cars. After his murder confession, he had expensive legal representation.

This is where he was before he arrived in Iowa with a grade 9 education. How does this background provide him with the opportunities he was given? Grade 9 education is age 14. What was he doing between age 14 and 17?

El Guayabillo

It's certainly possible, he was a monster on a mission and meant to have what he wanted, whatever it took to get it.

I'm thinking that there has to be a scalp injury or a severely bleeding nose to create a pool of blood this size in the trunk of a car. I'm not convinced that a blow to the head results in this much blood.

upload_2021-5-25_0-6-7.png

I'm thinking that there has to be a scalp injury or a severely bleeding nose to create a pool of blood this size in the trunk of a car. I'm not convinced that a blow to the head results in this much blood.

View attachment 298354

I hadn't thought about a punched and bloody nose but that could account for the stain, and disabling enough to be able to get her in the trunk.

I can't really tell by the pictures, either. I thought the ME examiner said that the neck wound may have been consistent with a slashing motion. It was near the jugular and carotid artery. Whatever the case, it was a frenzied, brutal attack.

I don't know how someone escalates to this kind of violent crime without any history of assault or aggressive behavior.
We also don't know what position he was in, how he was holding the knife, whether he was stabbing/slashing back and forth across his body, or only from one side, downward, sideways, etc. It's hard for me to guess specifics, but it appears there was a lot of movement in a struggle.

She also had a stab wound to her left cheek. Did that loosen her missing tooth, did she fall during the initial attack and knock it out, did he punch her?

One thing that bothers me is the knife. It certainly doesn't seem to be your average pocket knife type injuries, so did he always carry a sturdier knife on him? Was it already in his vehicle? Did he have to stop by his house to get it (his likely route went right past it, imo)? Or did he bring it along that night because he planned an attack? Was it even his knife?

So many questions that probably won't he answered.

In a similar case involving a blow to the head with a blunt instrument, in further testimony Russell Williams explains that he told her that he was going to let her go and then hit her hard in the head from behind with the flashlight. He didn't realize that a head injury would bleed so much. That amount of blood loss created a problem for him to clean up.

"Russell Williams struck Lloyd with a flashlight. There is a large expanding pool of blood around her head. Williams then strangled Lloyd with rope."
https://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/liveblog-col-russel-williams-hearing-day-2/

Why did CBR tell the story he did and then take LE to the body? I know most the details are hidden within his "black out," but he could just as easily have told them nothing.

The thing is, if prosecution can't prove where she died, the defense can fall back on that open void of time where she was alive and he was blacked out. Could another person have entered the picture in that time? Can they prove nobody did? I just can't believe the defense is throwing crap at the wall, seeing what sticks, without some kind of purpose. I'm not questioning CBR's guilt, but I'm curious what defense will have to say. Guess we'll have to see what defense brings to the table, if anything.

But that scenario, of him 'not being the killer', makes no sense, if he knows where the body was hidden.

How could that have happened, that he stalked her from his Malibu, assaulted her, threw her in the trunk of his car, then blacked out, but comes to as he is driving , with her in the trunk?

So what could have happened between him putting her in the trunk, and him coming out of his black out? I don't see any scenario where someone else is the guilty party. JMO

I think it is pretty easy to prove that no one else could be the guilty party.He admits to throwing her in the trunk. He admits to 'waking up' from his blackout, as the is driving down the road, and she is in his trunk.

So how could someone take over between him putting her in his trunk, and him coming to, behind the wheel? That seems highly improbable.

He entered the country illegally. He was using a fake name.
Fake social security number.
*Assume he paid no taxes.*
He was already breaking the law.
I don’t believe she waved at him or that he blacked out.
I think he felt entitled to her & scared her.
She triggered him by saying she was “calling the police” .

MOO

It's not important really, but an undocumented immigrant who presents a fake SS# does have income taxes withheld from their wages in the same manner as legal workers. The IRS doesn't care if the SS# is real or not, as long as they get the money. (I work in a Payroll department.)

We also don't know what position he was in, how he was holding the knife, whether he was stabbing/slashing back and forth across his body, or only from one side, downward, sideways, etc. It's hard for me to guess specifics, but it appears there was a lot of movement in a struggle.

She also had a stab wound to her left cheek. Did that loosen her missing tooth, did she fall during the initial attack and knock it out, did he punch her?

One thing that bothers me is the knife. It certainly doesn't seem to be your average pocket knife type injuries, so did he always carry a sturdier knife on him? Was it already in his vehicle? Did he have to stop by his house to get it (his likely route went right past it, imo)? Or did he bring it along that night because he planned an attack? Was it even his knife?

So many questions that probably won't he answered.
There was a fishing pole in his trunk. He probably had a fishing or hunting knife in the trunk too. Those fishing knives can be very sharp and strong.

Tuesday, May 25th:
*Trial continues (Day 5) (@ 8:30am CT) – IA – Mollie Cecilia Tibbetts (20) (July 18, 2018, Brooklyn; found Aug. 21, 2018) – *Cristhian Bahena Rivera aka John Budd (24/now 26) arrested (8/21/18), charged (8/22/18) & arraigned (9/19/18) with 1st degree murder. Plead not guilty. $5M cash only bond.
ICE logged an immigration detainer on Rivera. Confessed to killing Mollie.
Trial began on 5/17/21 with jury selection & ended 5/18/21. Trial started on 5/19/21 (thru 5/28/21). Trial moved from Poweshiek County to Scott County in Davenport. 12 jurors & 3 alternates (8 women & 7 men); Jurors: Hispanic/Latino/Spanish-3, White-12, jurors ages range from 19 to 71.

Court hearings from 8/22/18 thru 5/13/21 & Jury selection (Days 1 & 2) 5/17 to 5/18/21 & Trial (Days 1-3) 5/19 & 5/21/21 post #166 here:
Found Deceased - IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 *Arrest* #48

5/24/21 Monday, Day 4 of Trial: State witnesses: Iowa DCI Agent Trent Vileta, lead case agent. Direct by Scott Brown.
See posts #177 to 179 for more info here:
Found Deceased - IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 *Arrest* #48
Vileta continued on direct. And cross by Chad Frese.
See posts #191 to 193, 195 & 197 for more info here:
Vileta continued on cross.
See posts #206-209, 212, 213, 215, 216 & 218 for more info here:
Vileta continued on cross. And Brown on re-direct. And re-cross.
See posts #221, 234 & 237 for more info here:
Next witness: Kevin Horan, supervisory special agent with FBI & handles cell phone tracking. Direct by Brown.
See posts #242, 244, 245, 247 & 249 for more info here:
Summary of testimony for Vileta see post #261 here:
Agent Horan continued. Still on direct. And cross by Chad Frese.
See posts #269 & 272 for more info here:
Next witness: Dr. Dennis Klein, IA state medical examiner. Direct by Brown.
See posts #273, 275 & 276 for more info here:
Dr. Klein continued on direct. And cross by Chad Frese. And re-direct.
See posts 281 to 283, 285, 292, 293, 296 & 297 for more info here:
Next witness: Dr. Heather Garvin, a forensic anthropologist & associate professor of anatomy with Des Moines University. Assisted with autopsy. Direct by Brown.
See posts 309, 316 & 318 for more info here:
Dr. Garvin continued. On direct. No cross.
See posts 322, 328, 338 & 340 for more info here:
State of Iowa rests their case. Defense making judgement of acquittal. Judge denies request. The defense waived their opening statement on day 1. They are not required to give an opening but if they do it will be tomorrow morning before the defense case begins. Trial continues on 5/25/21 @ 8:30am.

Just because there isn't a documented history of violence doesn't mean there isn't any. His SO may have been too afraid to report it. And there might be incidents that have been declared inadmissible for one reason or another.

That said, there's always a first time. And often it doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

He stabbed her five times on the left side of her back so she must have been facedown at that point, and also when she recieved the wound on the side of her head. Imo

Those back stabs indicate to me that she was able, despite unthinkable injury, to break away, only to be tackled from behind.

Nightmare doesn't begin to contain it.

JMO

But that scenario, of him 'not being the killer', makes no sense, if he knows where the body was hidden.

How could that have happened, that he stalked her from his Malibu, assaulted her, threw her in the trunk of his car, then blacked out, but comes to as he is driving , with her in the trunk?

So what could have happened between him putting her in the trunk, and him coming out of his black out? I don't see any scenario where someone else is the guilty party. JMO

I think it is pretty easy to prove that no one else could be the guilty party.He admits to throwing her in the trunk. He admits to 'waking up' from his blackout, as the is driving down the road, and she is in his trunk.

So how could someone take over between him putting her in his trunk, and him coming to, behind the wheel? That seems highly improbable.
I agree it seems improbable, but I just can't see where the defense is going with their trying to point the finger at somebody else despite everything we know. It will be interesting to see if they've formulated a plan here. It's almost as if CBR himself was at least ready to admit guilt (and did, but with a black out), but his counsel talked him out of it.

Idk about CR’s phone, but most info came from Mollie’s phone. FBI phone tech guy testified today that Mollie’s Fitbit model’s data had to be uploaded after a run- so route not available for that night. Which makes the 8:20pm ish heart rate part confusing… Did anyone catch why route would need to be uploaded after a run, but heart rate would upload in real time? Missed that if presented…

I've totally missed a heart rate testimony that reflected her heart rate at that exact time. Can someone bump if they have easily at their hands.

TIA

Those back stabs indicate to me that she was able, despite unthinkable injury, to break away, only to be tackled from behind.

Nightmare doesn't begin to contain it.

JMO
Didn't CBR say that on 385th Ave., after she threatened to call the police, she tried to run and he chased her? My question is did he have a knife on him at that point. Unless he carried one on him regularly, him having one then, already out of his car, would definitely help the first degree charge of premeditation. Imo.

I think the statistics of “prior history of violence” & “pattern of escalation” are changing. Jake P (refuse to type last name) of JC case, had no history of violence & zero escalation of anything. Yet he carefully planned & executed the murder of 2 parents & kidnapping of a 14 y/o. There are other examples like this. MOO is that they “escalate” these days in their mind with the help of digital media & then commit a crime that shocks everyone. Who knows what videos/ shows/ games/ fantasies/ brewing resentments played out in CB’s head before he did this. Jmo

There was a fishing pole in his trunk. He probably had a fishing or hunting knife in the trunk too. Those fishing knives can be very sharp and strong.
Ugh... that's a good thought. I still say that him using a knife shows some form of premeditation and will help the first degree charge stick. He willfully took it out of his vehicle. What other reason would he have to, if not to harm her. Sick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ioprgee