Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 *Arrest* #49

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I meant do they stay till they decide or do they get to go home tonight and return tomorrow if they don't decide today. Maybe that is a different term? I'm sorry I might have words mixed up.

@justtrish, it depends on whether or not the jury likes the meal that they're getting served for lunch today! (Just kidding... :rolleyes:)

It's my understanding they are not sequestered at a hotel during their deliberations. They would return tomorrow.

Which is *why* the judge (rather sternly) admonished the jurors to not discuss the case with anyone -- including the media (who no doubt were hovering somewhere nearby, outside the courthouse). Not even to "do research" on the case (like...hmmm... checking out the famous WS site :)).

@StarryStarryNight (and anyone else wondering...) -- as someone located in central Iowa (not all *that* far from where Mollie Tibbetts was attacked and murdered), and as someone who searched for updates on this case multiple times daily in late July through mid-August of 2018, I must let everyone interested know that I conducted my own "random survey" of a wide variety of adults aged 20 to 100 (okay, maybe only up to 75 or 80, but... close, okay?), asking them *their* opinion of the case (this "survey" I conducted back in late August/September of 2018 after Mollie had been located). What the surveyed individuals said, to a "T"? That CBR was guilty. Period.

Not even one of the dozens (perhaps 5 or 6 dozen) even *hesitated* when replying to my question ("In your opinion, is CBR guilty or innocent of the recent murder of Mollie Tibbetts?"). So there's that -- FWIW. Those surveyed were random individuals (totally unknown to me) here in central Iowa.

Hopefully (MOO) those sitting on the jury this week and last have not been *sucked* into the lines of deception spun like...a web (to "trap" unsuspecting, ignorant jurors) by the defense. JMOO.

==
ETA: Btw, it's hard to believe anyone in Iowa had *not* heard of the case; it was ALL over *every* possible media outlet, and the day-to-day discussion/updates were on *everyone's* lips. But I'll hit "pause" right there...

Yea! @Tiger Stripes! This is good on the ground information. Also when you were taking your survey, it was probably before the DNA and other hard evidence was known. That really cements it.

Brown: "There was another motive here. A sexual one... The defendant says he left her clothes on. That's clearly not true."
@wqad
#MollieTibbetts

I am so glad he said this.

I am an avid runner. I love being outside with nature and alone to sort my feelings, it's my therapy often times. I don't run with earbuds because I want to hear my surroundings (not saying anyone that does is wrong to do so).

The most common reason a woman is assaulted or attacked while running is sexually motivated. It is scary and a very real threat women face. We can't live in fear and not do the things we love, what kind of life lived is that? Yet we have to be aware and take precautions.

To not have evidence to prove his motive was sexual had to be frustrating because we all know darn well that is what it was. If we had evidence of that, no other theory would be allowed.. no masked me, not forcing him to drive around, no boyfriend that wants her dead, no other predators living in the area.. just him. If she wasn't left to rot :( that evidence would have been there. Instead we had to listen to him try to wiggle his way out of his controlling sexual murderous acts.. it's like a slap in the fact to all women who have been assaulted, who have had men assert their physical power or used weapons to assert control to take what isn't theirs.

Hearing him say that is a small victory for all women who have felt uncomfortable running alone, who have had unwanted advances or ran a different route to avoid someone or something they feel is off.. we shouldn't have to live like that because someone decides they want what isn't theirs.

From the Iowa Guide to Criminal Court Procedures -- there will be a sentencing hearing apart from the verdict.

The Verdict—Unlike a civil jury trial, the jury in a criminal case must return a unanimous verdict-either guilty or not guilty. The jury may also find the defendant guilty of a lesser charge, if that lesser charge was submitted to the jury in the jury instructions. If the jury cannot reach a unanimous verdict, the court will declare a mistrial and the case may be tried again to another jury at a later date if the prosecutor so chooses.

Sentencing
After the return of a guilty verdict, the jury’s duty is complete. The jury is not involved in determining the defendant’s punishment; sentencing is left solely to the judge. The court will schedule a sentencing hearing, and both sides will have the opportunity to make sentencing recommendations.

Victim Impact Statement—Victims may make a written victim impact statement and read their statement in court.

Sentencing Laws—The legislature decides the types of punishments that apply to each type of crime. In determining the sentence of a particular defendant, the court considers which sentence or combination of sentences as authorized by the legislature, in the discretion of the court, will provide for the maximum opportunity for rehabilitation of the defendant and the protection of the community from further offenses by the defendant.

https://www.iowacourts.gov/static/media/cms/E0402_4AB079FBEE8C6.pdf

So everything is done until a verdict is reached, correct? Is there usually a heads up ahead of time when the verdict is reached and then there's a bit of time where people get back to the courthouse and we can tune in to hear it read?

Yes, in any case I’ve followed that closely, there was a heads up that the jury had reached a verdict.

After all, the jury might spend a week deliberating, (don’t think it’ll happen in this case, though.) But anyway, it wouldn’t be right to expect families, reporters, interested parties to hover around the courthouse indefinitely.

So, I am trying to figure this out, did the Ninjas drive to CBR'S house? And they left their truck at CBR'S?
No, he said they had no car.. they just arrived and then left him in the cornfield and ran off again no car.. just ran off in the middle of nowhere in sweaters and masks in July..

Prolly a typo but I think you meant "could go home"
I think the OP means it's not that they can't go home after deliberations at the end of the day. It's the same as any jury, I would expect, where they discuss the case in a jury deliberation room. I don't think that's the same as being sequestered, when they are isolated in a hotel and have no access to their phones, TV, internet, etc. At least that's the way I've always understood it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member