TX Houston- Female, 60s found deceased in alligator's mouth in bayou

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

SherryLock

Reaction score
5/28/2024- Houston police said that they are waiting autopsy results of a woman in her 60s who was found Tuesday morning in the jaws of an alligator in the Horsepen Bayou, near the 2700 block of Coastal Oak Drive, just west of El Dorado Boulevard.

Police were in the area for a woman who was reported missing. A HPD sergeant fatally shot the gator to prevent it from doing any more damage to the woman.

The HPD dive team then came to the scene and recovered the body and the alligator from the bayou.

The investigation is pending the autopsy results, including the manner of death.

Anyone with information in this case is urged to contact the HPD Homicide Division at 713-308-3600.

Oh my! Was she the woman reported missing? And people are urged to contact the homicide division? Curious case.
Yes, she was reported missing Monday night (05/27/2024) and the body was found the next day, Tuesday morning (05/28/2024), by police officers who were searching for her.

I think the homicide division is listed as the contact department because it's apparently very rare for alligators to kill people. From the articles about this case, I read that alligators are typically shy and more likely to retreat than attack. (However, it is their breeding season now, which is March to May). Still, from what I read, there's only been one case of an alligator killing a human in Texas in the past 90 years. In 2015, a 28-year-old man was killed in Texas by an alligator attack while swimming in a bayou. So it appears they are treating this case as a homicide, for now at least.

I can't find any info. about who the woman is thought to be or who reported her missing. Which makes sense, because I'm sure they want to be sure the body's identity is officially verified, then have a chance to be sure the family is notified.

Last edited:
Yes, she was reported missing Monday night (05/27/2024) and the body was found Tuesday morning (05/28/2024), by police who were searching for her.

I think it's likely she was murdered because it's very rare for alligators to kill people. They are typically shy and retreat rather than attack. (However, it is their breeding season now (March to May). Still, from what I read, there's only been one case of an alligator killing a human in Texas in the past 90 years. In 2015, a 28-year-old man was killed in Texas by an alligator attack while swimming in a bayou.

I can't find any info. about who the woman is thought to be or who reported her missing. Which makes sense, because I'm sure they want to be sure the body's identity is officially verified, then have a chance to be sure the family is notified.

Oh! I remember that case in 2015 - major Darwin award winner!

Yes, she was reported missing Monday night (05/27/2024) and the body was found the next day, Tuesday morning (05/28/2024), by police officers who were searching for her.

I think the homicide division is listed as the contact department because it's apparently very rare for alligators to kill people. From the articles about this case, I read that alligators are typically shy and more likely to retreat than attack. (However, it is their breeding season now, which is March to May). Still, from what I read, there's only been one case of an alligator killing a human in Texas in the past 90 years. In 2015, a 28-year-old man was killed in Texas by an alligator attack while swimming in a bayou. So it appears they are treating this case as a homicide, for now at least.

I’ve heard of a few cases where a murderer will try and dispose of a victim in hopes of alligators making a body disappear.

Here's an update, if we trust the Daily Mail:
The woman has been identified, had three DUI arrests, and a second husband or live-in partner, who neighbors say appears to have abandoned the home since her death. The cause of death hasn't yet been released.

ETA: The article first states the the deceased lady had one children, then it says she had two children...

Last edited:
Here's an update, if we trust the Daily Mail:
The woman has been identified, had three DUI arrests, and a second husband or live-in partner, who neighbors say appears to have abandoned the home since her death. The cause of death hasn't yet been released.

Wow. This is possibly the worst written article I've ever seen. I can't believe this person is a professional or even an English speaker for that matter (not that there's anything wrong with being a non-English speaker but writing for the DM is perhaps not the best career choice...).

And to refer to a woman as a "trust fund divorcee mother of two", and they are proud they can "exclusively reveal" that. WTH? I also take offense at showing her mugshot for a DUI arrest. Her DUIs may or may not have anything to do with her death and it seems to me at this point, more respect should be shown to this dead woman.

Geez.

Wow. This is possibly the worst written article I've ever seen. I can't believe this person is a professional or even an English speaker for that matter (not that there's anything wrong with being a non-English speaker but writing for the DM is perhaps not the best career choice...).

And to refer to a woman as a "trust fund divorcee mother of two", and they are proud they can "exclusively reveal" that. WTH? I also take offense at showing her mugshot for a DUI arrest. Her DUIs may or may not have anything to do with her death and it seems to me at this point, more respect should be shown to this dead woman.

Geez.
I agree with all of your statements. But I have to say I've seen many poorly written articles on these cases. Sometimes it seems like they're all just running to the keyboard to be the first to put out news, with speed of release hugely taking precedence over quality.

IMO I guess the Daily Mail would be considered a "tabloid," not always scoring high on class or appropriateness. But I've also seen them post news on cases before the other news sources and more insider details than the other news sources too, which may be just two sides of the same coin.

All I can figure is: (1) They might be able to take more chances legally than the other news outlets for some reason. (2) Willing to trade higher standards for higher profits. (3) They might also pay more for information, to get more insider info. ALL MOO

Last edited:
I agree with all of your statements. But I have to say I've seen many poorly written articles on these cases. Sometimes it seems like they're all just running to the keyboard to be the first to put out news, with speed of release hugely taking precedence over quality.

IMO I guess the Daily Mail would be considered a "tabloid," not always scoring high on class or appropriateness. But I've also seen them post news on cases before the other news sources and more insider details than the other news sources too, which may be just two sides of the same coin.

All I can figure is: (1) They might be able to take more chances legally than the other news outlets for some reason. (2) Willing to trade higher standards for higher profits. (3) They might also pay more for information, thereby sometimes getting more insider info. ALL MOO
I consider them far more of a tabloid than a reputable news source, TBH.

All I can figure is: (1) They might be able to take more chances legally than the other news outlets for some reason. (2) Willing to trade higher standards for higher profits. (3) They might also pay more for information, to get more insider info. ALL MOO
Called The Daily Wail/Fail in the UK.

"The Harris County Medical Examiner, weeks later, has not determined how Puryear’s died."

A few snippets of the comments made by the victim's son, Daniel:

"Daniel then commenced with an emotional recounting of his mother’s mental health struggles. She had been hospitalized earlier in 2024 for suicidal thoughts, her son said.

In May 2023, Daniel said that his mother had attempted suicide by drowning in the same body of water, Horsepen Bayou.

“One involved Horsepen and another was in Galveston Bay,” Daniel said. Daniel recounted a detailed story regarding his mom’s stress regarding her finances. Even though she lived in a well-to-do neighborhood, she was fixated on running out of money, her son said. However, her son said her finances were largely in order. Tensions within the family did not help Robin’s mental health, he said.

“She couldn’t swim. She made previous attempts beforehand. But every time she would come back. This time she didn’t come back,” Daniel said.

Last I heard, this case was being treated as a homicide. Anyone with info. was told to contact the Houston Police Homicide Division, and of course they're still doing the forensics on the body, which means the investigation is not complete. So I'm wondering why the son would be allowed to have a suicide note in his possession at this point, as stated on the Chanel 2 news interview. ???

Last edited:
Last I heard, this case was being treated as a homicide. Anyone with info. was told to contact the Houston Police Homicide Division, and of course they're still doing the forensics on the body, which means the investigation is not complete. So I'm wondering why the son would be allowed to have a suicide note in his possession at this point, as stated on the Chanel 2 news interview. ???
ETA: In other words, my understanding is that in a reported suicide with unusual circumstances that's being investigated, as this one is, the police would take a suicide note as important evidence, to be analyzed and retained until the end of the investigation.

Last edited:
The Harris County forensics site showed a form that listed "pending" cause of death info. for Robin Puryear, for weeks. Now the information for Robin Puryear appears to be gone from the site entirely. I don't know what that means, if anything.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amber42
Back