GUILTY IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 *Arrest* #50

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just heard GUILTY IN THE FIRST! Thank God! This case- really Mollie- (her sweet nature & this horrible crime) has haunted me since it happened. I am sincerely so relieved. My whole family had our minds on 3 things today- my own daughter’s college graduation celebration, this verdict watch, and the fact that Mollie should have received her degree this month also. We could could not stop thinking of Mollie this day- watching all those caps & gowns & stoles & tassels & smiles & hugs- as grads soon scatter the globe to enter their full adult lives. The world lost someone wonderful here & this verdict, great as it is, drives that home. Truly glad #Mollie’sMovement lives on & CB can rot away in his cell.

Thank God earthly justice will be served. His true punishment comes when this rapist/murderer dies. God bless you Mollie and may God grant her family and loved ones time to heal.

The prosecution did a fabulous job, in my opinion. Thank you all for being here supporting Mollie. Stay safe.
I think the Prosecution did do a great job. I really think the law enforcement people are the ones that did a fantastic job here. Not giving up, being thorough, finding those videos, watching hour after hour of nothing and finally noticing that car.

And if he told them back in 2018 aren’t they expected to tell law enforcement, for the sake of public safety?

I would have! If my client told me during our first meetings that there really were other people who are threatening his family and he's scared to tell the truth, I would be calling the prosecutors immediately and asking to set up an attorney proffer where I would provide the information (hypothetically) and see what they say. If your client is telling the truth it could mean he does 5 years for aiding and abetting instead of taking the murder charge.

There is no way they believed him in 2018 and didn't try to get a plea or lesser charges. There's just no way you withhold that from the state if it's true (or you have reason to believe it's true)

They said they would come up with a “better story”. So they agree it was a story? And are quick to distance themselves from it.

I think they are getting defensive because even very experienced defense attorneys seem to all agree it was a big mistake to put him on the stand. They had to realize it would "prove" that he lied either during his interview or during his live testimony. Both cannot be true.

FWIW I think it is inappropriate for defense attorneys to discuss their client and his story like this. Especially the line about how they would have made up a better story. That's a bit condescending, isn't it? It is your duty to act in your client's interest, I do not think making statements putting them down is appropriate. There are millions of people who will be making negative statements about the defendant, his own lawyers don't need to join in. JMO

Last edited:
I would have! If my client told me during our first meetings that there really were other people who are threatening his family and he's scared to tell the truth, I would be calling the prosecutors immediately and asking to set up an attorney proffer where I would provide the information (hypothetically) and see what they say. If your client is telling the truth it could mean he does 5 years for aiding and abetting instead of taking the murder charge.

There is no way they believed him in 2018 and didn't try to get a plea or lesser charges. There's just no way you withhold that from the state if it's true (or you have reason to believe it's true)
I think Jennifer Frese indirectly answered that the defense didn't believe the ninja story during the presser when she said she understood others were speculating the defense gave him this "story." She clearly wanted the public to know it would have been a much better story if it came from them.

FWIW I think it is inappropriate for defense attorneys to discuss their client and his story like this. Especially the line about how they would have made up a better story. That's a bit condescending, isn't it? It is your duty to act in your client's interest, I do not think making statements putting them down is appropriate. There are millions of people who will be making negative statements about the defendant, his owner lawyers don't need to join in. JMO
ITA Alethea, but this defense seems to have an inclination to push the envelope IMO. I wish they would graciously exit stage left and stay there.

Your post/response is 100% true. The ripple effect is massive and isn’t going away anytime soon.

However…the one person responsible for the whole thing….nodded his head. Without a tear, without a word, or even a facial expression. I dont think anyone could convince me he cares….even for his own families feelings. CBR only cares about CBR. That came through today loud and clear if we all were questioning it before.
Agreed. Despite all the stories about him being a good guy, a jokester, etc, he appears to really be a heartless entity. Quite possibly a psychopath. He isn't capable of seeing the world the way we do. Though we see this all the time, I will NEVER understand how someone can commit a crime like this.

FWIW I think it is inappropriate for defense attorneys to discuss their client and his story like this. Especially the line about how they would have made up a better story. That's a bit condescending, isn't it? It is your duty to act in your client's interest, I do not think making statements putting them down is appropriate. There are millions of people who will be making negative statements about the defendant, his owner lawyers don't need to join in. JMO

The defense attorneys had to come to court but did not have much hope. I think that she was drained. Thus the “bathrobe” or whatever she could grab out of the closet.

I agree. I felt to me like the defense was trying to distance themselves from the story. But that does not align with the fact that they said they knew the story since 2018. I honestly do not completely believe the defense that they knew this story for three years and that they did not coach him.
MOO

Your post/response is 100% true. The ripple effect is massive and isn’t going away anytime soon.

However…the one person responsible for the whole thing….nodded his head. Without a tear, without a word, or even a facial expression. I dont think anyone could convince me he cares….even for his own families feelings. CBR only cares about CBR. That came through today loud and clear if we all were questioning it before.
Agreed. Despite all the stories about him being a good guy, a jokester, etc, he appears to really be a heartless entity. Quite possibly a psychopath. He isn't capable of seeing the world the way we do. Though we see this all the time, I will NEVER understand how someone can commit a crime like this.
I was quite stunned by the candor in that interview especially since it was only minutes after the verdict. I would have told press, "no comment, i'll talk to you tomorrow."

I'm curious whether the family has sent, or plans to send, another child to work illegally in the USA.

"Bahena Rivera's aunt, Alejandra Cervantes, testified for the defense that her nephew was sending money back to Mexico to support his parents and siblings there.

"He was the one who was sending money so they could eat. He was the one sending money so they could build a house," Cervantes said.
Trial for man accused of killing Mollie Tibbetts: Key takeaways from Day 5

I'm not sure what I would have done if this was my case. I guess if he told me that story right off the bat, I would have told him "I think this is very serious and we should maybe call police/prosecutor and tell them this. Do I have your permission to do so?" Of course if he says no, then you have to keep your mouth shut. I don't know how I would have defended this case. CBR leading police to the body makes it very very difficult. I would not have gone after DJ like they did. I think that was irresponsible.

I'm curious whether the family has sent, or plans to send, another child to work illegally in the USA.

"Bahena Rivera's aunt, Alejandra Cervantes, testified for the defense that her nephew was sending money back to Mexico to support his parents and siblings there.

"He was the one who was sending money so they could eat. He was the one sending money so they could build a house," Cervantes said.
Trial for man accused of killing Mollie Tibbetts: Key takeaways from Day 5
Who knows. By all acvounts, CBR was making pretty good money and sending a lot back to help his family. Now that is gone. Yet more victims of his stupidity. What are they going to do now.

OMG Mrs. Frese said if they were going to make something up it would have been a better story than CBR told on the stand. lmao

I just can’t swallow -any- of what she says, sorry.
We are not all, including the jury, stone stupid.
That was a planned narrative to fit the states evidence.
All the CTV defense commentators even said that very thing.
Okay I’m done.
JMO

So glad to hear the GUILTY verdict!
And that he will receive his sentence Karma-style near the anniversary!
What a relief.
Will be saying a prayer for Mollie and her family while I spend time with mine this weekend.

What was it I heard at some point about "previous bad acts"? Does anyone else remember anything about that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member