GUILTY IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 *Arrest* #50

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
My heart goes out to young Mr. Dalton. Through no fault of his own, he has been put through the wringer since Mollie's death.
Isn't that the truth. It's one thing to be a bad, high school boyfriend and suffer a very personal tragedy under global view, and then come home to accusations of murder.

By all accounts, DJ left his hometown, job, family, and friends -- all he's ever known -- within 90 days of Mollie being discovered murdered in a cornfield. He joined the USArmy in November 2018 and has earned the rank of Sargent. I think it would have been easy for his life to have downward spiraled and glad he's serving his country -- keeping us safe.

ETA: And DJ worked long hours too! His employer testified he worked 12.5 days in heavy, civil construction. I'd say Idaho residents are hard-working folks and CBR need not be exempt. He's not special.

Last edited:
Isn't that the truth. It's one thing to be a bad, high school boyfriend and suffer a very personal tragedy under global view, and then come home to accusations of murder.

By all accounts, DJ left his hometown, job, family, and friends -- all he's ever known -- within 90 days of Mollie being discovered murdered in a cornfield. He joined the USArmy in November 2018 and has earned the rank of Sargent. I think it would have been easy for his life to have downward spiraled and glad he's serving his country -- keeping us safe.

ETA: And DJ worked long hours too! His employer testified he worked 12.5 days in heavy, civil construction. I'd say Idaho residents are hard-working folks and CBR need not be exempt. He's not special.

Yes, seriously I don't think we (general we) have any idea what someone goes through that has a high profile crime happen to someone they know and love. People were messaging the family, commenting all over anything public on their social media accounts, news media were constantly asking questions and trying to get the scoop. People thought they could investigate better than the LE in the area following up on leads.. I get that we all get attached to some cases, but many take it way to far and it does hinder investigations. It is a shame he felt he needed to flea that town, but even with media and strangers not leaving them alone, he would still have to live there and drive the same roads she ran daily, see the places they went and remember every single thing.. I'd leave too.

Also, achieving the rank of E5 already means he is doing his job and doing it well. Oct 2018 till now is 2 1/2 years. Usually people start at E1 (with college credits or JROTC in high school you can enter as an E2-E4 depending on how much college and/or JROTC time someone has) and to get to E5 in 2 1/2 years means at the very least he was promoted every time he was able. There are rules for time in service and time in current rank before moving on to the next rank and E5 in 2 1/2 years is pretty darn good, but it's possible he had college credits that can help too. He is clearly doing something right though.

In light of CBR testifying at his trial, I want to share something else I recall from the Evidence Suppression hearing.

His attorneys argued that his statements should be kept from a jury because his rights were violated -- and not necessarily limited to the defective Miranda Warning.

His attorneys attempted to submit an affidavit by CBR stating that he didn't understand his Miranda rights and was afraid to ask.

The Prosecutor argued against admitting CBR's affidavit because they did not have the opportunity to cross-examine the evidence. Instead of allowing CBR to testify about this, his attorney withdrew the affidavit.

This hearing took place Nov 2019. The defense would not allow CBR to testify back then. Hmm... I wonder if they had the Ninja story at that time?

Man accused of killing Mollie Tibbetts didn't testify during hearing

During the second day of an evidence suppression hearing, which started Wednesday, defense attorneys sought to submit an affidavit from Cristhian Bahena Rivera, 25, charged with first-degree murder, stating he didn't understand his Miranda rights and was 'scared” to ask.

But Eighth Judicial District Judge Joel Yates said he would accept it only if prosecutors had a chance to cross examine Bahena Rivera.

Jennifer Frese, one of Bahena Rivera's lawyers, said he wouldn't testify. She withdrew the affidavit, and it will not be considered by the judge in reaching a ruling.

In light of CBR testifying at his trial, I want to share something else I recall from the Evidence Suppression hearing.

His attorneys argued that his statements should be kept from a jury because his rights were violated -- and not necessarily limited to the defective Miranda Warning.

His attorneys attempted to submit an affidavit by CBR stating that he didn't understand his Miranda rights and was afraid to ask.

The Prosecutor argued against admitting CBR's affidavit because they did not have the opportunity to cross-examine the evidence. Instead of allowing CBR to testify about this, his attorney withdrew the affidavit.

This hearing took place Nov 2019. The defense would not allow CBR to testify back then. Hmm... I wonder if they had the Ninja story at that time?

During the second day of an evidence suppression hearing, which started Wednesday, defense attorneys sought to submit an affidavit from Cristhian Bahena Rivera, 25, charged with first-degree murder, stating he didn't understand his Miranda rights and was 'scared” to ask.

But Eighth Judicial District Judge Joel Yates said he would accept it only if prosecutors had a chance to cross examine Bahena Rivera.

Jennifer Frese, one of Bahena Rivera's lawyers, said he wouldn't testify. She withdrew the affidavit, and it will not be considered by the judge in reaching a ruling.

He didn't understand his rights and was afraid to ask, but he was not afraid to tell them where her body was?

Also, curious if either of his lawyers speak Spanish or if they always have a translator when they are speaking?

More from the Evidence Suppression hearing in 2019 that did I don't think came out at trial:

Defense expert: Iowa murder suspect's confession unreliable

Nov 14, 2019

Brown noted that Rivera was able to lead officers after the interrogation several miles to the cornfield where her body was found. He noted DNA testing proved blood found in the trunk of Rivera’s car came from Tibbetts.

Leslie said it was unusual that a deputy who drove with Rivera to the cornfield didn’t turn on the camera in his car.

Multiple officers testified that Rivera asked that he be taken to his home so he could orient himself before he directed them down several roads to the field where the body was found underneath leaves.

And so, we wait.
For some reason, this trial has been super emotional for me...way more than any other.
It must be Mollie.
This evening I went out to water some plants and realized it was right about the time Mollie would have been fighting for her life. The sky was pretty but a little moody because we might get some rain later...like the evening Mollie went running. It was very beautiful and peaceful, but moody looking. She should be here now, but she is no longer.
So I went in my backyard and cried a little bit, wishing there had been something I could do for her even though I'm no where near where she was. And that's just it, there is nothing we can do for her, she is just gone. But her life can still do things in all of us...as I'm sure it does/will. I don't need to tell you all because you know, but that's how she can still be here, and how we can all best honor her.
That's something CBR cannot ruin.
I pray there is justice for her tomorrow.

And so, we wait.
For some reason, this trial has been super emotional for me...way more than any other.
It must be Mollie.
This evening I went out to water some plants and realized it was right about the time Mollie would have been fighting for her life. The sky was pretty but a little moody because we might get some rain later...like the evening Mollie went running. It was very beautiful and peaceful, but moody looking. She should be here now, but she is no longer.
So I went in my backyard and cried a little bit, wishing there had been something I could do for her even though I'm no where near where she was. And that's just it, there is nothing we can do for her, she is just gone. But her life can still do things in all of us...as I'm sure it does/will. I don't need to tell you all because you know, but that's how she can still be here, and how we can all best honor her.
That's something CBR cannot ruin.
I pray there is justice for her tomorrow.

Beautiful. Besides justice, I think that's probably all that her parents would ever want....that she just be remembered. <3

Yes, seriously I don't think we (general we) have any idea what someone goes through that has a high profile crime happen to someone they know and love. People were messaging the family, commenting all over anything public on their social media accounts, news media were constantly asking questions and trying to get the scoop. People thought they could investigate better than the LE in the area following up on leads.. I get that we all get attached to some cases, but many take it way to far and it does hinder investigations. It is a shame he felt he needed to flea that town, but even with media and strangers not leaving them alone, he would still have to live there and drive the same roads she ran daily, see the places they went and remember every single thing.. I'd leave too.

Also, achieving the rank of E5 already means he is doing his job and doing it well. Oct 2018 till now is 2 1/2 years. Usually people start at E1 (with college credits or JROTC in high school you can enter as an E2-E4 depending on how much college and/or JROTC time someone has) and to get to E5 in 2 1/2 years means at the very least he was promoted every time he was able. There are rules for time in service and time in current rank before moving on to the next rank and E5 in 2 1/2 years is pretty darn good, but it's possible he had college credits that can help too. He is clearly doing something right though.

The way he kept his cool and owned Attorney Frese, I think he has a career in law (if he wants one).

Shannon Moudy on Twitter
"They were in that room to see if anyone else was in that room, yet they did nothing to get DNA to exclude people," Frese says of testing can in Mollie's room at Jack home.
11:56 AM · May 27, 2021·Twitter Web App

Courtney Crowder on Twitter
Defense is moving to DNA - They didnt test anyone's DNA except for CBR, Mollie and all the people are Yarrabee Farms.
11:57 AM · May 27, 2021·Twitter Web App

The Frese duo is very slick. They complain that no one took DNA of DJ when they were getting Mollies DNA from her home.

Why would they need his DNA at that time? If they had found his DNA on her body or in the trunk, that would not mean much. They lived together and his DNA could have been anywhere on her or on her belongings.

And of course they took DNA from the Yarrabee Farm's workers. That is where they tracked the Malibu, which was seen on video stalking Molly when she went missing. So there was strong possibility one of the field hands was in that car.

Those comments by Frese were meant to make LE look racist and like they unfairly targeted Yarrabee workers.

I really think that the likeness between Mollie and CBR's ex GF is significant. I wonder what the date was that she broke up with him was...
Re-listening to Gamboa's testimony -- she said they broke up in April 2017.

Matches my memory as I recall it was said she was in college - living elsewhere when Mollie was missing. MOO

Beautiful. Besides justice, I think that's probably all that her parents would ever want....that she just be remembered. <3
Yes -- they want Mollie to be remembered for not how she died, but how she lived.

I will always remember Mollie as the young woman that had the nicest history of text exchanges with family, friends, co-workers, etc. I really don't know anybody (including myself) that would be given that designation! :)

I hope her parents find comfort and pride in that.

Shannon Moudy on Twitter
"They were in that room to see if anyone else was in that room, yet they did nothing to get DNA to exclude people," Frese says of testing can in Mollie's room at Jack home.
11:56 AM · May 27, 2021·Twitter Web App

Courtney Crowder on Twitter
Defense is moving to DNA - They didnt test anyone's DNA except for CBR, Mollie and all the people are Yarrabee Farms.
11:57 AM · May 27, 2021·Twitter Web App

The Frese duo is very slick. They complain that no one took DNA of DJ when they were getting Mollies DNA from her home.

Why would they need his DNA at that time? If they had found his DNA on her body or in the trunk, that would not mean much. They lived together and his DNA could have been anywhere on her or on her belongings.

And of course they took DNA from the Yarrabee Farm's workers. That is where they tracked the Malibu, which was seen on video stalking Molly when she went missing. So there was strong possibility one of the field hands was in that car.

Those comments by Frese were meant to make LE look racist and like they unfairly targeted Yarrabee workers.

And for all the huffing and puffing by the defense that the State did not have DJ's phone records, it seems to me that the defense obtained DJ's phone records and could therefore answer their own question of where the evidence was that corroborated DJ was in Dubuquoke - near the bridge job. I think they just wanted to emphasize that DJ was not investigated as thoroughly as they believed was required.

Watching how they worked in the trial, it wouldn’t surprise me if they just presented CBR with this affidavit about not understanding his Miranda rights and he signed it pretty much clueless as to what it was. They were taking a chance and hoping the judge would accept no questions asked. When the judge required cross-examination by the prosecution, they had to pull it because CBR was clueless about it. They pulled this all through the trial. Mentioning phone records implying big info, mentioning reported statements pointing to lies etc. But they never produced anything to back any of it up. Despicable. It’s not “what can I do for my client” it’s “what can I get away with”. Despicable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjF7nx