Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, is it a safe assumption that she had her Snapchat set to ghostmode? Otherwise, I assume she could be tracked via SC until the phone died? Does SC only show location if the phone is powered on? Does it retain location history? Is it accessible remotely?

I have SC, but use it rarely, and I know one of the first things I did after the big map update was put ghost-mode on. I assume most people did :rolleyes:

Also, is it a safe assumption that she had her Snapchat set to ghostmode? Otherwise, I assume she could be tracked via SC until the phone died? Does SC only show location if the phone is powered on? Does it retain location history? Is it accessible remotely?

I have SC, but use it rarely, and I know one of the first things I did after the big map update was put ghost-mode on. I assume most people did :rolleyes:

Yep I did.

I just have to say that in every last case of a young, middle class white woman, sex trafficking is brought up. But I've yet to see that theory ever pan out.

The overwhelmingly predominate victims of sex trafficking in the US are poor and black. They are minorities and runaways/at risk youth and mostly prostitutes.

There is not and never has been a trend of young white middle class girls or women snatched off the street and trafficked.

These people know what they're doing and they know to take people who won't be missed or who society doesn't care much about.

It's not easy to control a college-educated woman with a family who adores her.

Sex trafficking theories seem seem to be rooted in the American white slavery myth but that was a fiction with racist overtones: https://www.google.com/amp/amp.history.com/news/white-slave-mann-act-jack-johnson-pardon
I would have to slightly disagree. while minority’s generally have a higher percentage to enter sex work voluntarily, it’s white and asian women that are more appealing to abductors.

I do not think this has anything to do with sex trafficking although I suspect it does have to do with a sex crime.
Unless she ran away (which I doubt) then I think this was a stalker who found just the right moment.
I just hope she is still alive.

I love maps and geography, but for some reason I just really looked at the Brooklyn area for the first time. WOW. It is SO small. It looks like from her Facebook that she was a distance runner at least in high school, and she seems to still be keeping up her running recreationally. A former distance runner myself, I feel she could have easily run around the entire city on her runs. Someone in the town could have easily seen her and her habits since she has been home for summer and waited for her to get home from a run in the evening. I am not thinking a complete stranger, but I don’t know that anyone in a town this small could be a complete stranger. I am super paranoid and cautious when I run and walk. If I am coming back to my home alone I even make sure no one has been watching me or sees me come/go alone.

I wonder if it was a habit for her to lock the door while she went out for a run? In the neighborhood where I grew up we did not lock doors so I never took keys with me when I was running. Someone could have gone in the house and hid until she came back even.

Another thought that popped into my head thinking about locked/unlocked doors - what if the dogs had an invisible fence (not sure if confirmed) and she let them out late at night one last time for a few min and left the door unlocked until she returned to let them back inside? Someone could have surprised her then too. Depending on how friendly the dogs were/if they knew the person.

I wonder how much care the dogs really needed? Did they have a dog door? For dogs that size (if they are large labs which I think I read) a person could easily slip through the dog door. Maybe she was mainly there to put their food out each day and they could come and go through the door. Could be why there isn’t anything mentioned about the dogs condition when it was discovered she was missing, because if they’d only missed one meal and were able to come and go out of their own door they wouldn’t really show any signs of neglect yet.

Without any detailed information about her normal habits and state of the house/her belongings I am just speculating and tossing around ideas.

All IMOO

Dear MFH,

Thank you so much for your post - great insight and details!

Sharing your experience and habits as a long distance runner is greatly helpful. As you noted, we are not aware of Mollie's habits surrounding her running.

You incorporate safety and caution into your running habits, which is so good to hear. Not everyone does though. I wish they did.

Your post gave me thoughts to consider.

Namaste,

...Then at some point in the evening things took a bad turn either due to jealousy or unrequited love or something. In which case, I don’t believe she’s alive.

This all sounds much more plausible than any scenario where she was abducted from the home, without a car of her own it only makes sense that she left with somebody else in their car. Even so I would expect some evidence.

This is a small town, somebody would have seen her and who she was with if she stayed local. It would seem more likely that if she left with someone (planning to return) they would leave town. Newton, Grinnell, Des Moines, Iowa City - lots of options. But if something went horribly wrong and something did happen to her I’d expect that she would be found by now.

I do not think this has anything to do with sex trafficking although I suspect it does have to do with a sex crime.
Unless she ran away (which I doubt) then I think this was a stalker who found just the right moment.
I just hope she is still alive.
Agreed. "Sex trafficking" is the province of the tabloids, more than a real-life actuality in 99 missing cases out of one hundred.

The sheriffs department seems a little overwhelmed already in this case. Somebody already went in the boyfriends house to know her stuff was still there. Which means that area is already tainted, unless they find dna from somebody other then the people who live there

Suspects leave evidence, be it a stranger or a known acquaintance. Something is left behind that suggests what happened...that is not yet the case? A well-entrenched network would be more meticulous and methodical, hedging against leaving a noticeable fingerprint, and I'd suspect this would have occurred multiple times over the past few years.
Phones record all movement even with the battery out or phone turned off. Surely this phone would be visible if it was anywhere close to the grid? Did the dog(s) ever hit on scent outside the home? This girl is very grounded, responsible, reliable, and driven...someone knows how she was getting to work... it is too far outside her character to leave this very important detail unresolved until moments before due in. This would have been resolved the night before. Perhaps her father quietly put her on a new path? If this young lady truly disappeared without a trace, and not of her own accord, God help Iowa.

Phones do not record movements if they're turned off. Not at all.

Agreed. "Sex trafficking" is the province of the tabloids, more than a real-life actuality in 99 missing cases out of one hundred.
I don’t completely think it’s a sex trafficking case but we don’t know anything, the news reports have been reported inaccurately and obviously any scenario could be realistic at this point not having insider knowledge to investigation. I will say though that there are 20-30 million sex slaves in the world today and it’s definitely increasing every day especially in the rural Midwest and even larger cities. (Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Iowa, etc.)

one thing that's sorta irking is that we have, or apparently have, 3 data points:

5:30 pm -- seen jogging
10:00 pm snapchat to BF
next AM, BF texts or messages GM and he says he checked a bit later and noticed that his message went unread.

Assuming both BF and Mollie were off work the night she goes missing, that is, Mollie's chilling at the house with the dogs and bf is hold up in his motel room or wherever in Dubuque--

did they not engage in any chat or text or phone calls btw her 5:30 pm jog and the 10 pm snapchat?

Maybe the boyfriend was still at work? Maybe he was driving from Brooklyn to Dubuque? Dunno.

fwiw, I agree that I don't think the BF has any involvement. It's just curious if the only conversation btw them the night she goes missing is her shapchatting him a pic.

Seems to me if she had a stalker it is someone who lives nearby, works nearby or something close, to be able to stalk her. I do not think she was just randomly chosen. I could be wrong but this feels more personal to me. I think the "kidnapper" is right under their noses. It just takes one really insightful person to get a weird vibe about someone in their midst.

one thing that's sorta irking is that we have, or apparently have, 3 data points:

5:30 pm -- seen jogging
10:00 pm snapchat to BF
next AM, BF texts or messages GM and he says he checked a bit later and noticed that his message went unread.

Assuming both BF and Mollie were off work the night she goes missing, that is, Mollie's chilling at the house with the dogs and bf is hold up in his motel room or wherever in Dubuque--

did they not engage in any chat or text or phone calls btw her 5:30 pm jog and the 10 pm snapchat?

Maybe the boyfriend was still at work? Maybe he was driving from Brooklyn to Dubuque? Dunno.

fwiw, I agree that I don't think the BF has any involvement. It's just curious if the only conversation btw them the night she goes missing is her shapchatting him a pic.
I was thinking about that also. It’s kinda odd they only exchanged 1 message and we don’t know if he replied and got a response.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spurr15