Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
How would someone know she was there alone? I thought in the beginning that the two brothers went to work construction out of town and the fiancé wouldn't have been with them on a job site. I finally realized she went with them.
We don’t know if they all rode together or had separate vehicles.
I think there is a garage at the house also - a vehicle could be in there and you wouldn’t know unless you were staked out at the road watching the house constantly.
It’s like so many other current unsolved cases....he/she was there and suddenly poof! they’re not with few clues to find them.

I've lived in the rural midwest for most of my life and believe me, in small towns everybody knows everybody else's business. I'll bet there were a lot of people in Brooklyn who knew she was staying there alone.

Have her parents raised concern that possibly it was suicide? A lot of times, if LEO feel that the missing individual is a danger to themselves they will put that out there to the public. I haven't heard of any concerns from family or friends that she was suicidal. The only "evidence" is her posts, but I thought I read somewhere that she a psychology major.

Yeah I wasn't impressed with those posts. I don't think they indicate suicidal ideology at all.

And it's very true that many times that info will be put out there if that's a concern of LE. But sometimes it isn't. Because the family doesn't consider it a possibility.

Disappearance of University of Iowa student Mollie Tibbetts remains a mystery

So, going by this, it was THAT night she was supposed to be home for dinner and no-showed.

This is a great article btw guys - has her activities listed of what she did earlier in the day (new info as far as I know)

So.

She was coming to Mom's for dinner Wednesday evening and to make the dessert for work.

Her not showing up tells me something bad happened Wednesday evening before dinner.

EXCEPT the Snapchat.

Did someone else send the Snap? Can someone else log into her account and send a Snap? Would they do that to give them more time before someone realized Mollie was missing?

Is the BF telling the truth about the Snap? (not accusing the BF, just a natural question that comes to mind). Has LE themselves been able to see/confirm that Snap?

Did she send the Snap much earlier and the BF was busy until 10 when he noticed it? But if she did that, why was she saying good night so early?

It does to me alot as well. What I found odd was the dates gone missing quite possibly could be the exact date and if you look at the latitude line of both where they went missing they are both about the same 41.7 range. Several miles from I-80 but 2 states apart.

That is SO weird. <modsnipped- not named a suspect>

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe the bf sent the snap to himself from her phone...

At that age, that demographic (young, unmarried, no kids or property issues) it would be unusual to premeditate a murder with that level of planning.
Typically it's something that occurs due to an attempted break up and occurs without developing alibis.
Usually they kill the girlfriend or boyfriend in the home and either move the body, or say they weren't there, etc.
I've seen planning extensive alibis align more with older perps who feel they have a lot to lose and aren't as impulsive.
It will be interesting to see what pans out.

There are plenty of young killers who plan their murder well in advance. There was a case where a woman broke up with her boyfriend, and he flew home, then drove back to her house to meet up and killed her where they met to talk. So even if not planned, it could have worked out in a similar way.

<modsnipped- against TOS>

Never ever tell anyone you staying home alone ladies...ever.

So, mom is waiting for BCI and FBI to show up tomorrow? I'm sorry, this is just my opinion, but the fact that the sheriff has waited 5 days to call them in? That's horrifying to me. He hasn't even really given any press conferences, has he? Snippets of statements on the news is about it? This is a MESS. Is anyone local on this thread? Has a complete search been done at BF's house? At this point, the public should know the EXACT timeline of her disappearance, and who actually laid eyes on her last,it should be publicly declared by LE that the BF is NOT a suspect, and if there were signs of struggle or break in at BF's house. 5 DAYS! No searches being organized anymore because then no one's home to interview?? Idk, you all know that I'm a bit sensitive to a girl going missing when the corn is high, but really, this seems like a mess of an investigation. I believe the snapchat has to be discounted until LE comes forward and says that it has been verified

Nobody, except a few people on Websleuths, have suggested Mollie was suicidal. Her cousin, her best friend, and a co-worker have all commented that Mollie was doing fine and looking forward to going to an exotic beach vacation next week. She was also making efforts to find new furniture for her college apartment for the fall semester. She was outside the evening she vanished running for exercise in the heat and humidity. This is NOT the behavior of a suicidal person.

Many suicidal people make extensive plans and seem happy. When they're not.

A close friend of one of my colleagues committed suicide. It happened as so many suicides do—out of the blue. A few days earlier, my colleague had spent the day hanging out with her friend, who was relaxed, upbeat, and normal.

Sadly, that’s not uncommon. “Many people who commit suicide do so without letting on they are thinking about it or planning it,” says Dr. Michael Miller, assistant professor of psychiatry at Harvard Medical School.

Some talk about wanting or planning to kill themselves or give other hints, others don’t. The decision to do it might be made just minutes or hours before that act.

Suicide often not preceded by warnings - Harvard Health Blog

This was why his suicide “makes no sense,” she added...and was looking forward to the future:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2018/05/12/us/college-student-suicide-hamilton.amp.html

"Well, I don't know what happened. The last I talked with her, the night before last, she was happy planning a trip to California to look at colleges. She doted on her daughter."
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mi...kate-spade-taking-pills-planning-12661568.amp

Thank you for this input / outlook. So, it could be fair to say that the mother thought she was skipping "lunch / dinner," which I suppose would be less worrisome / odd. I just know that if my mother was expecting me for any meal, and I did not show up or contact her, she'd definitely have raised alarms. But, this could have been normal for them.
She would have been working over lunch on Thursday. The plan was to take the kids to the fair that morning. I doubt there was a plan for a lunch break with an outing such as that.

LE would be able to tell from phonc carrier records when the phone stopped communicating to the network tower (that it was likely in line of sight)> It was on at 10:00 PM because of the SC. Normally she would have left it on using it as an alarm for the morning, would be unusual to turn it off. And since the mom is probably the owner of the account she should be able to get access to the records quickly (I did as owner of the family account and was able to get last phone (location and destination #) and text (destination) over the phone from the carrier agent. So LE is pretty much has that info.

Maybe it's because I recently re-watched The Killing Season, but it bothers me that there are 2 truck stops of I-80 4 miles from Brooklyn and I can't shake the stories around sex trafficking along Interstates and the truck driver serial killings.

I am also wondering if there is a connection to someone who also worked at Grinnell Regional Medical Center. They would know Mollie's work schedule and have a general idea of her daily schedule (like when she would be awake, getting ready for work, letting the dogs out, etc.)

I'm sure LE is looking at all of these angles and more. I was born and raised in small town rural Iowa, so I can understand why her story is having such a strong impact statewide. These things don't normally happen in towns like Brooklyn.

Disappearance of University of Iowa student Mollie Tibbetts remains a mystery

So, going by this, it was THAT night she was supposed to be home for dinner and no-showed.

This is a great article btw guys - has her activities listed of what she did earlier in the day (new info as far as I know)

Weird. If she not only confirmed she would be home for dinner but also had her mom buy ingredients for her to make something for work the next day, you would think her not showing up on Wednesday night would have raised alarms.

Mom says search for college student who went missing while jogging is ‘excruciating’
“We’ve had missing persons before, but usually we find them the same day or a couple days later,” Poweshiek County Sheriff Thomas Kriegel told ABC News on Monday. “We never had one this long that I can recall.”
In this close-knit farming community of about 1,500 people, everyone knows everyone, Kriegel said. But the rural area makes the search difficult.
<snipped to comply with copyright rule>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members