Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
BCI and FBI was involved early in Mollie's case. A news story on Friday about obtaining the phone records and social media accounts mentioned the involvement. Turn around time with FBI involvement is a matter of a few hours at most because the FBI is co-located with ATT, Sprint and Verizon (the only real phone providers - everyone else buys time/capacity on these providers lines). With BCI it might take a little longer - like until the next day. Without either it would take two to three weeks.

The news article from today, that posted upthread, quoted Mollie's mom as saying they are now waiting for FBI and BCI to come tonight or tomorrow.

In Sierah's case, FBI,BCI was on scene within 18 hours I recall. The local jurisdiction has to invite them to come in.

In my experience, they do not clear people to keep them talking. That could come back to haunt them if the person they were clearing ended up being the perp. They clear people so investigation and time is not wasted on that person, so the public "comments" pretty much immediately stop, so the public KEEPS looking for her instead of shrugging and saying, "Well, the BF hasn't been cleared, it's probably him."

The news article from today, that posted upthread, quoted Mollie's mom as saying they are now waiting for FBI and BCI to come tonight or tomorrow.

In Sierah's case, FBI,BCI was on scene within 18 hours I recall. The local jurisdiction has to invite them to come in.

In my experience, they do not clear people to keep them talking. That could come back to haunt them if the person they were clearing ended up being the perp. They clear people so investigation and time is not wasted on that person, so the public "comments" pretty much immediately stop, so the public KEEPS looking for her instead of shrugging and saying, "Well, the BF hasn't been cleared, it's probably him."
as soon as you become a suspect you lawyer up and stop talking. Clearing someone dont mean anything, just you dont have evidence right now.

I would get the FBI and BCI in ASAP! Poweshiek County officials/small town police who have never had to deal with a disappearance before run a risk of mucking up the case.

Maybe it's because I recently re-watched The Killing Season, but it bothers me that there are 2 truck stops of I-80 4 miles from Brooklyn and I can't shake the stories around sex trafficking along Interstates and the truck driver serial killings.

I am also wondering if there is a connection to someone who also worked at Grinnell Regional Medical Center. They would know Mollie's work schedule and have a general idea of her daily schedule (like when she would be awake, getting ready for work, letting the dogs out, etc.)

I'm sure LE is looking at all of these angles and more. I was born and raised in small-town rural Iowa, so I can understand why her story is having such a strong impact statewide. These things don't normally happen in towns like Brooklyn.

I just finished watching the movie ROOM. So....I understand where you're coming from with the whole feelings thing.

People rarely disappear by the hand of a stranger. Her disappearance could be caused by someone she knows or a neighbor who is a creep.

Where in Iowa did you grow-up? I am originally from Sioux City but relocated to Minnesota a few years ago.

I have read almost every article, comment, post etc out there and it’s just about, uncommon, that in day 5 there is STILL no verified timeline. Honestly it means zero to me that friends family are commenting that the BF was cleared. IMO, he’s still just as much of a suspect as anyone else until LE says otherwise.

IMO, I think she very well could have gone out that night after her run and packed her work shirt a “just incase” she ended up staying somewhere else. I think her closest friends probably know way more than their willing to disclose with the public. Not sure why I feel this way, but I do. Especially where/who she was with Wednesday night.
LE doesn’t want even the littlest thing being shared (obviously because lack of info publicly from them or family), but why?
Are they afraid they will tip someone off? Do they believe she’s alive and don’t want to risk any chances?

I've been sleuthing for over a decade on here. No way is that unusual. Not at all. They're protecting the integrity of the case. Sometimes a timeline is published and sometimes it's withheld, depending on the circumstances.

This is 5 days in folks. This is just beginning.

It is unclear if there were signs of a struggle or foul play? What is that supposed to mean?

I think they don't know if someone busted down the door or not. I am sure LE has told the family limited information. It is possible that Mollie walked in on a home invasion or the intruder didn't know that she was home during the break-in.

When LE starts doing ground searches, it is a sign that this is a body recovery.

Josh was cleared by LE within hours, HOURS, of Sierah going missing. Mollie's BF has a phone obviously. I assume he would hand over his phone immediately. LE would be able to see if the phone traveled anywhere at the very least, if it was turned off, texts, phone calls, etc. BF coul give LE his password to his phone account so they could see if anything was deleted. Brother and fiance could easily be his alibi but they haven't even said THAT.
I find this whole investigation, and lack of press conferences bizarre

One case. In my experience that is highly unusual. The word I used is "typical". Those of us who've been doing this or years we'll know that these days actually clearing people publicly is rare.

Gosh even when they know who did it or have a good idea, they usually don't clear people until there's an arrest. The recent case of Katlynn Cargill is a common example.

I think they don't know if someone busted down the door or not. I am sure LE has told the family limited information. It is possible that Mollie walked in on a home invasion or the intruder didn't know that she was home during the break-in.

When LE starts doing ground searches, it is a sign that this is a body recovery.
As anyone can see on the sheriff's FB page, there was a home burglary reported in the 200 block of W Des Moines Ave (about 4 blocks from where Mollie was) two days before Mollie disappeared.

Burglars like to break into construction trucks and homes with tools as these have a good resale value. (Mollie's boyfriend and his brother work in construction. Brother has his own construction company.)

JMO
Slightly OT
Ive always felt there is a need in the US and maybe the world eventually to have a well accepted Missing Persons type internet site different than FB. Something setup with the sole purpose to list Missing Person cases to allow the sharing of critical information and ideas from the public. Options like having your case moderated or not and other features could be built into it.

My biggest problem with FB is it wasnt built for that sole purpose and a lot of people dont have FB id so some cases you cant even view unless you are a subscriber and they have it private.

If its built well then people will start to use it and it can really take off. I guess that is a challenge for website builders to build a really good site for that sole purpose and see if it goes viral and takes off.

I could not agree more. 100%

I do not do Facebook. It's a personal choice.

SO many things--apart from missing people--get posted there and it shocks me that people think that everyone is a FB participant.

I've been sleuthing for over a decade on here. No way is that unusual. Not at all. They're protecting the integrity of the case. Sometimes a timeline is published and sometimes it's withheld, depending on the circumstances.

This is 5 days in folks. This is just beginning.
Not only that but also there are false leads that mess with the true time line or location(s) last seen, etc. For whatever reason some people try to be "helpful" by saying they saw a person in a location at a time and they actually did not. These aren't people that are intentionally trying to throw off an investigation but people who, in their mind, are trying to be "well meaning" or "helpful". As near as I can figure they expect the missing person to turn up in the near future so offering a false lead is "harmless" while at the same time allowing them to be "involved". It happens in far too many cases.

At this point, I think the direction of the investigation has shifted and we won't hear of any kind of accurate time line unless she is found alive or there is a trial.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper