IA - Tyler, Sarah, and Lula Schmidt Killed at Maquoketa Caves State Park Campsite, 2022 *killer dead*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I agree it seems the parents are in denial. Even if by some wild chance he didn't kill the family and was murdered, it seems most probable the killer would have used the same gun and left it with Anthony. But why won't LE release that information to the parents? Surely they at least tested Anthony for GSR, right?

It's hard to imagine anything other than murder/suicide but the unanswered questions do make me wonder, why?

I agree it seems the parents are in denial. Even if by some wild chance he didn't kill the family and was murdered, it seems most probable the killer would have used the same gun and left it with Anthony. But why won't LE release that information to the parents? Surely they at least tested Anthony for GSR, right?

It's hard to imagine anything other than murder/suicide but the unanswered questions do make me wonder, why?

So many unanswered questions. Strange from every angle. jmo

FINALLY, a follow up story on the investigation. I think the mother is still badly in denial about her son, but I have to agree with her perception (and the reporter’s assessment) that the state is, for some reason, very much trying to make info about these crimes virtually inaccessible to the public. Trying to cover up incompetence on the part of the 911 dispatcher and/or the ranger who wouldn’t answer the phone when called by 911? Or on the part of law enforcement, perhaps?

According to this article, AS had two gunshot wounds.

FINALLY, a follow up story on the investigation. I think the mother is still badly in denial about her son, but I have to agree with her perception (and the reporter’s assessment) that the state is, for some reason, very much trying to make info about these crimes virtually inaccessible to the public. Trying to cover up incompetence on the part of the 911 dispatcher and/or the ranger who wouldn’t answer the phone when called by 911? Or on the part of law enforcement, perhaps?

Perhaps, but there is an extremely high bar to actually hold a 911 dispatcher liable for negligently handling a call. LE has no legal duty to protect either. Likely another reason.

I am concerned about what all may have transpired in the tent due to the length of time between the call and someone finally arriving. Three different causes of death would take more time than just, say, gunshots. Depending on where their wounds were, would anyone have been able to be saved if response was quicker? Also, with Lula having been strangled in addition to being shot, I’m guessing if she was still conscious she saw what happened to her parents. Heartbreaking :(

Hi,
I was. Very little in the article.

“Yesterday marked one year since Anthony Sherwin attacked Sarah, Tyler and Lula Schmidt while they were camping at Maquoketa Caves State Park. Nine year old Arlo Schmidt was the only survivor, who ran to nearby campers for help. Sherwin fled to a nearby wooded area and took his own life. Officials still don’t know Sherwin’s motive in the case and say his tent was 75 yards from the Schmids.

The Sherwin family cooperated with investigators and police have now closed the case.”

Hi,
I was. Very little in the article.

“Yesterday marked one year since Anthony Sherwin attacked Sarah, Tyler and Lula Schmidt while they were camping at Maquoketa Caves State Park. Nine year old Arlo Schmidt was the only survivor, who ran to nearby campers for help. Sherwin fled to a nearby wooded area and took his own life. Officials still don’t know Sherwin’s motive in the case and say his tent was 75 yards from the Schmids.

The Sherwin family cooperated with investigators and police have now closed the case.”

thank you so much! It sucks that we probably won’t ever get any answers as to why.

According to this article, AS had two gunshot wounds.

He may have accidentally shot himself when he was shooting in the tent. I can't imagine that there was not some chaotic struggles happening in that enclosed space. The second shot may have been when he was committing suicide. They had reported that there was evidence that he was in the tent. Evidence can be clothes, shoes, etc and/or blood and body fluids.

He may have accidentally shot himself when he was shooting in the tent. I can't imagine that there was not some chaotic struggles happening in that enclosed space. The second shot may have been when he was committing suicide. They had reported that there was evidence that he was in the tent. Evidence can be clothes, shoes, etc and/or blood and body fluids.
Do you have a link? I don't recall reading that and would like to.

Do you have a link? I don't recall reading that and would like to.

Upthread there is a link in #340 and I will repost some info here:

"His parents don't believe it. Neither his character nor the bit of evidence shared with them proves he did it, they said.

Cecilia Sherwin said her son sustained two gunshot wounds. She thinks the first would have been "debilitating" and wonders how he managed to shoot himself again.

Police have declined to answer any questions and have not publicly released any additional information since Aug. 4." Maquoketa murders: 911 call reveals new information about morning four were killed

Upthread there is a link in #340 and I will repost some info here:

"His parents don't believe it. Neither his character nor the bit of evidence shared with them proves he did it, they said.

Cecilia Sherwin said her son sustained two gunshot wounds. She thinks the first would have been "debilitating" and wonders how he managed to shoot himself again.

Police have declined to answer any questions and have not publicly released any additional information since Aug. 4." Maquoketa murders: 911 call reveals new information about morning four were killed
That link requires a subscription, I was specifically looking for anything in any article that said they found evidence of Sherwin inside of the Schmidt's tent. There is just so very little information about this case and there leaves a lot questions.

That link requires a subscription, I was specifically looking for anything in any article that said they found evidence of Sherwin inside of the Schmidt's tent. There is just so very little information about this case and there leaves a lot questions.

There are links upthread. I think a little bit into the investigation. The lack of information tells me that there was some really gruesome stuff that happened in that tent. I am in favor of privacy for the family but would have liked a little more detail. Oh well. It seems that the family is protected and that is a higher goal.

There are links upthread. I think a little bit into the investigation. The lack of information tells me that there was some really gruesome stuff that happened in that tent. I am in favor of privacy for the family but would have liked a little more detail. Oh well. It seems that the family is protected and that is a higher goal.
I went back and reviewed everything posted from the last 15 months and there is nothing stating that evidence was found placing Sherwin in the tent. It may be assumed that they found evidence that he was in the tent, but LE has released nothing stating that. I'm not saying there wasn't evidence of him in the tent, but the general lack of information and transparency is concerning. The mom of the alleged killer especially thinks her son was another victim of the killer, and if I was his mom, I would, too, especially based on how very little information they've given the public to implicate him as the killer. The surviving child described a man in black, Sherwin was wearing green and was shot twice. That's reason enough for LE to provide more details to confirm he was the actual killer.

This is the closest I could find going back to page 16.

"The investigation into the events surrounding the homicides is ongoing. However, the known facts and circumstances, and all evidence collected to this point, substantiate Sherwin was the perpetrator of the homicides and acted alone.”

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sunnid
Back