IA - Tyler, Sarah, and Lula Schmidt Killed at Maquoketa Caves State Park Campsite, 2022 *killer dead*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

“Investigators say [the shooter’s] parents were also staying at the campsite. They are unharmed.”
I find this astonishing. I can't imagine someone doing something so heinous to strangers within shouting distance of mom. Maybe this was the point. Maybe there was something like "revenge of mom" or "dad said I wouldn't never do such a thing, so I did. It was a dare".

There must have been something about this family that got the shooter's attention. All very strange. In the 100's of nights spent in public campgrounds, I've never seen any kind of violence. I've occasionally seen rowdy behavior, but most people are respectful of the curfew, and you want to try to pick a campsite away from folks who look like they might sling beer into the night.

The 23 yr old shooter lived with his parents in their apartment in Nebraska. Then he goes camping with them and walks away, shoots an innocent family then runs Ito the woods and shoots himself.

I am wondering if he was originally planning on shooting his parents and himself---then couldn't for some reason? But settled for something similar.

In some ways, this was WORSE for his own parents---to be alive and have to endure this horrid aftermath.

Cecilia Sherwin, Anthony Sherwin’s mother, told The World-Herald in an email Saturday that the family refuses “to believe the news.”.... Sherwin said they were camping at the park Friday morning when she heard yelling and two gunshots. A young boy ran up to the Sherwins’ campsite yelling for help and told her that a man wearing black had shot his family, she said.

Cecilia Sherwin said her son was wearing green, not black, and no black clothing was found in the area. She also said they were legally traveling with a gun, which was located in a secure container.

“We think (Anthony) might have sensed trouble and grabbed the gun for safety,” Cecilia Sherwin said. “We refuse to believe the news. We are deeply saddened as he had so much to live for and gave us no indication that anything was wrong.”

Cecilia Sherwin, Anthony Sherwin’s mother, told The World-Herald in an email Saturday that the family refuses “to believe the news.”.... Sherwin said they were camping at the park Friday morning when she heard yelling and two gunshots. A young boy ran up to the Sherwins’ campsite yelling for help and told her that a man wearing black had shot his family, she said.

Cecilia Sherwin said her son was wearing green, not black, and no black clothing was found in the area. She also said they were legally traveling with a gun, which was located in a secure container.

“We think (Anthony) might have sensed trouble and grabbed the gun for safety,” Cecilia Sherwin said. “We refuse to believe the news. We are deeply saddened as he had so much to live for and gave us no indication that anything was wrong.”

Denying reality doesn't make an unpleasant situation unreal. Wonder if she also “refuses to believe” her son killed himself and thinks, instead, that some mysterious perpetrator murdered the Schmidts and her son?

Utterly shocking. The poor boy left without his parents and sister. My heart goes out to him.....I hope and pray that in time he finds his love, happiness and the joy of his own family.

<modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
What time of day/night did this occur? Was the son also in the tent with his parents and sister when the shootings began?

ETA: 'Just read an article listing the 9-yr old's first name (which I think is a great name)... my heart breaks for him :(

What time of day/night did this occur? Was the son also in the tent with his parents and sister when the shootings began?
Believe the news reports thus far say around 6:30 AM, will double-check that.

OK, this article says others in the vicinity of the incident heard screams around 6:20-6:30 AM: Maquoketa Caves State Park camper heard a scream and a loud noise near site of triple homicide
This article also says authorities have not confirmed where the 9-year old was at the time of the murders.

Other stories say authorities responded to the scene at 6:23 AM: One child, two adults identified as homicide victims at Maquoketa Caves State Park

Last edited:

A few additional details:

“Adam Morehouse, Sarah Schmidt’s brother, told the Associated Press that the family had no connection to Sherwin and that he believed it was a “completely random act.” Morehouse confirmed that Arlo was with the family during the camping trip but said he did not know exactly where the boy was at the time of the attack, which involved a shooting.
[….]
Felicia Coe of Des Moines told The Washington Post that she, her boyfriend and his children were camping nearby when they heard “two loud thuds” but did not think much of them. But then, she said, her boyfriend and a friend who was also camping there heard a scream and noises that they thought were fireworks. Later, Coe said, she saw a boy waiting near a pair of ambulances wearing a pajama set and one blue shoe.
He was just standing there,” she said, adding that the boy’s features matched a photograph of Arlo Schmidt. “He was not hysterical.”
Coe, 35, said that her boyfriend’s 16-year-old son went out for a jog at the campground before the incident and that he saw an older couple looking for someone named Anthony — the suspect’s first name. Coe said her boyfriend’s son said the couple knocked on the door while he was in the bathroom and asked, “Anthony, are you in there, buddy?”
Sherwin’s mother, Cecilia Sherwin, told the Omaha World-Herald in an email that she and her family were camping at the park Friday when she heard yelling and two gunshots. She said a boy came up to her and told her that a man had shot his family. She said her family was legally traveling with a gun in a secure container.
[….]
Anthony Sherwin was from La Vista, Neb., where he lived in an apartment complex with his parents, and had no criminal history, La Vista Police Chief Bob Lausten told the Des Moines Register.
Cecilia Sherwin said in a second email to the World-Herald that she and her family “cooperated fully with the police and investigative team from the get-go.”
“I didn’t think we had any tears left but we still find ourselves breaking down and care deeply for the little boy and the loss of his family,” she said, adding that her son “gave us no warning that he was planning anything of this sort.”

So the 23-year old killer lived at home with his parents, which is not weird in and of itself. But so far I have been unable to locate any substantive info about his education or employment, and he doesn’t appear to have much activity (that i can see, anyway) on social media. THAT strikes me as unusual.
The WaPo (Washington Post) article has a comment (bolded by me below) from his mother that also struck me as odd, or maybe just oddly-phrased; the author wrote, “She [the mother of the murderer] again expressed doubt that he had killed the Schmidts. “Anthony was not capable of this sort of violence,” she said. She told the Des Moines Register in an email, “Why would he throw everything away when he was looking forward to going home? It makes no sense.”

Why was he “looking forward to going home,” I wonder? Was he not having a good time camping with his folks, or did he not want to be there for other reasons? Purely conjecture, but was the camping trip a test of some kind to see if AS could live at home after, perhaps, having been in a residential program of some sort? IMO, it’s just not common to hear someone say of a child who’s been on a family vacation that they “were looking forward to going home.”

There’s also something slightly…infantilizing about the way AS’s mother talks about her son.

Last edited:

OMG! So sad! The poor child must have thought he saw black and not green. Unimaginable, he ran to Sherwin's parent's tent of all places, so sad. I'm sure that fact will also be traumatic for him that it was the gunman's parents he asked for help at, not knowing he could come there at any moment as that is where he was staying, once the child realizes this it will be so sad, terrifying and hard to reconcile. Poor child. Then Sherwin's parents want to desperately cling to hope that it wasn't their son who committed this horror. So extremely sad all around.

Denying reality doesn't make an unpleasant situation unreal. Wonder if she also “refuses to believe” her son killed himself and thinks, instead, that some mysterious perpetrator murdered the Schmidts and her son?
I could be wrong but from what she said it sure sounds like all of the above. That's why she said that after the child told his account (he was confused.) Even though it was a self inflicted gunshot wound. That's only one of the reasons why this case so horribly tragic. Sometimes denial can be so overpowering.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
welsh98
Back