Found Deceased Iceland - Birna Brjánsdóttir, 20, Reykjavík, 14 Jan 2017 *Arrests*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I'm a bit confused about the forum rules. Can I post something that has not been published in MSM but has been confirmed by a reporter and will eventually make it to MSM? Or should I just wait until the article is written and then post about it?

Kiiwiih - I believe you can post the info but it must be clearly noted that it is a rumor. If you like you can check with a moderator first. Thanks!

This is a rumour although it has been confirmed by a reporter at http://stundin.is/ but it has not been reported in MSM as he will be discussing with police tomorrow, since he's working with them trying to solve this and does not want to report anything that will impede the investigation.

This can be reported though. One of the Greenlandic men has a history. Not only has he been charged with a drug offence in the past but also with rape in his native country.

The reporter also says that they have gotten very delicate information regarding the investigation of Birna's disappearance but after consulting with police has decided not to disclose the information since it could jeopardise the investigation.

This is a respected investigative journalist who has also been searching for Birna.

Don't know if I'm allowed to link his twitter, but his name is Atli Már Gylfason.

ETA: But of course everything on his twitter is in Icelandic and google translate doesn't always translate Icelandic in an understandable manner.

I also got some new information about the shoes. I don't have a link for it because my sister told me this in the car two days ago but I forgot to post it here.

The men that found the shoes said that there had been lots of snow on them and they had dusted it off to see the brand and take a photo of them. The public thought it impossible that the shoes could've been there since Saturday since there was no snow on them but that at least explains it although there are other questions that have yet to be answered.

Kiiwih, is Birna a student or does she live in the area? Your posts have been so helpful.

Kiiwih, is Birna a student or does she live in the area? Your posts have been so helpful.

Thank you. :blushing:

This is going to be long and may be a bit confusing, sorry for that.

I don't know if she was in school or not, there has been no mention of that. The school system here is a bit different than it is in the USA or Scandinavia.

We go to preschool (kindergarten) and then the year we turn 6 we go to grunnskóli which is compulsary for all. We graduate from 10th grade the year we turn 16 and then we can choose to get upper secondary education known as framhaldsskóli (a combination of vocational courses and academic courses) or menntaskóli (solely academic courses). This is normally a four year school, from 16-20 but it can be finished in a shorter amount of time or a longer amount of time (also if I remember correctly the legislative has voted to shorten it to three years which will be implemented in the next couple of years).

Ages 20 and up is higher education, háskóli, which directly translates to high school but is university.

So it is probable that Birna has finished her schooling since she turned 20 last year and decided to work instead of applying straight for university. It's kinda like a right of passage to delay university for a year or two, work and then go round the world with friends. Kinda like a gap year is in the UK. Maybe she was doing that or maybe she just hadn't figured out what she wanted to do in life. I didn't know until I was 22.

I do know for a fact that she worked in F&F, which is a clothing department in Hagkaup, a chain of stores in Iceland which sells everything from food, clothes, make-up, electronic devices and toys.

Birna lives with her dad in Breiðholt, which is an area of Reykjavík aprox. 9 km from the downtown area.

I do believe that she was taking time off traveling and then planning to go to college later.

Maybe I'm crazy, because it has been so many days since Birna disappeared, but I wish she came back.

I just can't believe 3 depraved individuals found each other and perpetrated this kind of violence on a young girl in a foreign country - it would be easier to believe if it was a lone transient. So sad :/

Traces of blood were found in the vehicle rented by two crew members on Greenlandic trawler the Polar Nanoq.

Police have mapped out where the red Kia Rio car drove in Reykjavik and in Hafnarfjörður. "What happens next is something we cannot be sure of. One part of our theory is that Birna got into the car at Laugavegur 31."

Police are appealing to people who may have seen the red Kia Rio between 7 - 11 am last Saturday.

One of the men arrested is 25 years old and the other is 30 years old.

search pictures from yesterday: http://icelandmonitor.mbl.is/news/n..._search_and_rescue_in_iceland_history_takes_/

I'm so sorry for Birna. I really can't believe this is the first port that the POIs have done this.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Thanks for this important update kiiwiih, hope you managed to get a good sleep!
Ditto!

Kiiwiih, you have been amazing on this thread. I have been reading since the beginning and really appreciate your translations and insight.

I'm anxiously awaiting your update after today's press conference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://icelandmonitor.mbl.is/opeds/opinion/2017/01/22/unity_and_agony/
[h=1]Unity and agony[/h]
Iceland is in a state of shock but there is also wrath. The nation has roared up like an angry, protective sibling. She is one of us.

Thoughts go out to her family and what they must be going through. In such a small society if you are not familiar with the family, you know someone who is. This whole affair feels personal.
But yet the girl is still missing, there is no relief of the suspense. And once again people ask themselves, how can this happen?

In the midst of winter with storms looming over, the daze over the country has a similar vibe as a gloomy Scandinavian crime novel. And as much as you hope, want and will, you know that, like in a Scandinavian crime novel, there is no guarantee for a happy ending.

Her body has been found on a beach according to police. A helicopter reported the find. I was so taken aback that I didn't hear where.

Police say that they think she was murdered. They think she was put in the sea and that the body washed up on the beach.

The press conference is still going on.

I just don't know what to say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member