ID - 2 year boy accidentally shoots and kills mother in walmart in ths US

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
These kinds of accidents are exactly why official regulations are required, not all people are capable of making wise decisions when it comes to carrying weapons, definitely not the NRA judging by these endorsed products: http://www.guntotenmamas.com Basically if a state is going to allow CC they also need to put in stipulations which will keep people as safe as they can be under such conditions, and fine people if they don't comply. I'm sure this woman's family is wishing she'd carried on a holster today, or wished she hadn't even had the gun on her that day full stop.

I'm not a fan of Glocks(the handgun in the photo). I don't like the internal design.

If she carried a knife, alcohol, matches or poison in her purse the child would have got access to those as well.

If we take care not to place our children in harm's way with any of the above items we might as well go all the way and not place them in danger with guns either.

I'm pretty sure when the founding fathers spoke about well regulated militia, they did not intend that parents should have the right to endanger their children with guns but not knives.

Are you assuming there is no consequences to what you have spelled out? I am sure she didn't realize she had possibly endangered her child. She made a mistake. No law is going to force her to use her cerebral capacity. Do you think a law will prevent accidents?

If it will I want some passed.

If the two-hear-old son had accidentally shot and killed one of his young cousins who was with him, instead of his mom, we'd be having an entirely different conversation here.

Are you assuming there is no consequences to what you have spelled out? I am sure she didn't realize she had possibly endangered her child. She made a mistake. No law is going to force her to use her cerebral capacity. Do you think a law will prevent accidents?

If it will I want some passed.

Maybe not but if any of my loved ones ever got shot in the supermarket because someone doesn't use their brain and realize that a gun and a child is a potentially lethal combination I would certainly want that person prosecuted after the fact.

People who don't use their brain and endanger their children in other ways get prosecuted. Why should people get a pass for child endangerment and negligence just because they're negligent gun owners and not, say, negligent hot car owners, negligent alcohol owners, or negligent bath tub owners?

Of course I'm not assuming there are no consequences. It's just because of the potentially catastrophic consequences that I'm worried...

Are you saying the mom deserved to be shot and killed? tia
moo

A woman leaves a loaded gun within reach of a toddler, endangering the toddler and her three other children, plus everyone else at Walmart. I don't believe in capital punishment, but I certainly recognize poetic justice when I see it!

This Glock commercial is from the Gun Tote'n Mama's website .. was this a commercial which was shown on TV or just online?

[video=youtube;c1_ajGMp3mk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1_ajGMp3mk[/video]

From an advertising creative's perspective it sure hits on a few key emotional trigger points (pardon the pun), it's fairly clear how and who is being targeted in these ads and for what reason.

Long story short: Want to feel sexy and confident? Carry a gun about in your oh so suburban handbag.

If the two-hear-old son had accidentally shot and killed one of his young cousins who was with him, instead of his mom, we'd be having an entirely different conversation here.

And that conversation would be?

This Glock commercial is from the Gun Tote'n Mama's website .. was this a commercial which was shown on TV or just online?

[video=youtube;c1_ajGMp3mk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1_ajGMp3mk[/video]

From an advertising creative's perspective it sure hits on a few key emotional trigger points (pardon the pun), it's fairly clear how and who is being targeted in these ads and for what reason.

Long story short: Want to feel sexy and confident? Carry a gun about in your oh so suburban handbag.

I honestly don't know which venue it aired on.
I wouldn't recommend a Glock for most people, but that's from my experience.

I see your interpretation of the vid, but I've seen enough to recommend women consider being properly armed and prepared.

I see your interpretation of the vid, but I've seen enough to recommend women consider being properly armed and prepared.

I can actually understand that in America with the number of guns about on the street. I just think if they choose to do so that they should be properly trained and there should be strict regulations, including psychological evaluations .. all paid for by the person who wishes to carry the gun, but conducted by a government department.

The key words being properly prepared... If your goal as a gun owner is protect yourself it totally defeats the purpose if you end up getting shot accidentally with your own gun.

Maybe not but if any of my loved ones ever got shot in the supermarket because someone doesn't use their brain and realize that a gun and a child is a potentially lethal combination I would certainly want that person prosecuted after the fact.

People who don't use their brain and endanger their children in other ways get prosecuted. Why should people get a pass for child endangerment and negligence just because they're negligent gun owners and not, say, negligent hot car owners, negligent alcohol owners, or negligent bath tub owners?

Of course I'm not assuming there are no consequences. It's just because of the potentially catastrophic consequences that I'm worried...

My point is that there are consequences for what you describe. people are prosecuted when laws are broken.
I don't think anyone does get a pass.
She made a mistake, paid with her life. What more do you want? Put her husband in jail?

same thing if this had taken place in oakland or detroit...

Several comments re: woman s/h/had firearm in holster, not zippered pocket in purse designed for CCW makes me wonder.

If firearm had been in 'outside the waistband holster' more or less at waist level,
would that pose more or less potential danger - to her, toddler, nieces and others - in course of shopping w 4 kids?

Cannot imagine carrying gun in 'outside the waistband holster' when around squirmy, antsy, fidgety toddler.
Picking him up, putting him down, toddler reaching up to waist, toddler trying to slide off or down mom's hip.

Archangel7 or others experienced in daily holster carry, concealed or not,
is exposed holster carry something you'd do or recommend to an adult w a toddler in tow?

What about holster inside the waistband? Would that be more or less secure than 'outside the waistband holster' around toddler?

Regardless of laws or regs. applicable to the situation, who would holster at waist around a squirmy, grabby toddler?

Thx in adv.

ETA: substituting 'outside the waistband holster' for 'exposed holster.' Thanks Mrs G Norris for suggesting clarification was needed.

Per one online source, Idaho is an open carry state too, so presumably she could have open-carried or carried concealed.

Several comments re: woman s/h/had firearm in holster, not zippered pocket in purse designed for CCW makes me wonder.

If firearm had been in exposed holster, more or less at waist level,
would that pose more or less potential danger - to her, toddler, nieces and others - in course of shopping w 4 kids?

Cannot imagine carrying gun in exposed holster, when around squirmy, antsy, fidgety toddler.
Picking him up, putting him down, toddler reaching up to waist, toddler trying to slide off or down mom's hip.

is exposed holster carry something you'd do or recommend to an adult w a toddler in tow?

What about holster inside the waistband? Would that be more or less secure than exposed carry, around toddler?
Thx in adv.

I did not mean in an exposed holster, isn't the whole idea of Concealed Carry, just that?

I did not mean in an exposed holster, isn't the whole idea of Concealed Carry, just that?

Some States have either or all of the following... open carry, concealed carry, if concealed carry it's a contravention if exposed and vice if under open carry it's concealed, some States it doesn't matter how it's carried WRT concealed or open.

Some States declare your vehicle an extension of your Real Property and treat the vehicle as your home WRT a firearm in it.

Holster security isn't necessarily dependent on whether concealed or open. Loosely speaking, and due to practicality many open type are more secure and the concealed types less so for obvious reasons.

Very few "off duty" type holsters are the max security types.

I truly do not see the point of keeping a gun in your purse, even if it is a "specially designed" purse. If you are, for example, walking down a street at night and someone gets the jump on you, pulls a knife or grabs you or whatever, do people really think they are going to be able to get their gun out of their purse to defend themselves? Like they are Quick Draw McGraw or something? I mean really, unless you have super mad reflex skills, the attacker has the upper hand all the way, and you will most likely end up wounded or dead, and the attacker will not only have robbed you of your valuables, they also now have your gun to use when they go out and commit more crimes. Completely pointless in my view.

If firearm had been in 'outside the waistband holster' more or less at waist level,

Cannot imagine carrying gun in 'outside the waistband holster' when around squirmy, antsy, fidgety toddler.

What about holster inside the waistband? Would that be more or less secure than 'outside the waistband holster' around toddler?

Regardless of laws or regs. applicable to the situation, who would holster at waist around a squirmy, grabby toddler?

Thx in adv.

ETA: substituting 'outside the waistband holster' for 'exposed holster.' Thanks Mrs G Norris for suggesting clarification was needed.

Per one online source, Idaho is an open carry state too, so presumably she could have open-carried or carried concealed.

When I carry my weapon it is inside a leather holster (it fits very firmly inside the holster) and I have the kind of holster that is worn inside of my jeans. To extract it from the holster takes some force since it fits so snuggly inside of the holster. If the gun has a hammer then most holsters have a strap that goes over the hammer securing it down where it stays in the non-firing position at all times until the strap is undone.

From what I understood she did usually carry it on her person inside of a holster but since her hubby had just given her a new purse that is made specifically to conceal a hand gun inside of it is why she had it in her purse.

She was not use to the purse and she probably didn't think her child could unzip it. She made a terrible mistake. Just like people do who get into automobiles and have terrible deadly accidents.

However I would never leave my purse with a gun in it where a child could reach it. I don't put mine in my purse and they really don't recommend that anyway if you are carrying for personal protection. The gun can get hung up in the purse lining especially if it has a hammer and takes too long to retrieve it should someone need it instantly for personal protection.

Things like this are very rare. There are over 100 million legal gun owners who own over 250 million firearms of varying types and millions who have permits to carry and they take all precautions and are very safety conscious.

She just didn't think it all the way through and it cost her .........her life and its so sad for the child who was not at fault. :(

It didn't say if it was one with a hammer or one that is hammerless. Mine is hammerless but because it is the safety is built into the trigger mechanism. It not only has to be pulled back much further it has requires more pounds of pressure to pull it back.

Holster security isn't necessarily dependent on whether concealed or open. Loosely speaking, and due to practicality many open type are more secure and the concealed types less so for obvious reasons.
Very few "off duty" type holsters are the max security types.

My post discussed other comments to the effect -- she s/not have put gun in purse, she s/have holstered it.
IDK if holster-carry is more or less safe than purse carry - around a toddler.

About the same time Archhangel7 answered, I added to my post:
Regardless of laws or regs., who would holster at waist around a squirmy, grabby toddler?
Thx in adv.

Also what would be the point of taking your target gun to Walmart whilst out shopping with the kids?

Well, you and I probably live in different communities, but my target would be the criminal threatening my life and liberty, especially whilst out shopping with the kids. Respectfully responding, I don't carry and conceal, but I surely get it. I feel much safer at home than on the streets. That's the straight up reality of where I live.

OK here is the thing, why in the helicopter can't there be more regulations (YES OMG LAWS) in regards to the ownership / carrying of guns etc.

Say someone has the right to carry a concealed weapon as this lady appears to have had, why is it OK for her to let the gun float around in her handbag? Wouldn't it be better to make it illegal for her to carry a concealed weapon unless it was secured to her person in a holster?

See look, it makes me sick to think of random people wandering about in public with guns on them, I admit it, but if people MUST why can't they do it in the safest way possible, I mean you don't see the police reaching into a backpack for a weapon because they have them strapped to their person at all times, well it should be the same for these people who have a licence to carry a gun.

I think when it comes to gun ownership it's the LOOSENESS of the laws that bothers people the most and the lack of regulation.

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

Thank you.
:applaud:

ETA seriously? :clap:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads