ID - 4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 50

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Remember that the only reason the plane flight is a spectacle is that we, here, are making it a spectacle. I’m not criticizing that—but it’s us, not LE that are doing it. I’d bet plenty that the frequent stops have a reason that isn’t just to attract attention.

All MOO
agree we're the market and part of the product

Do u think the state will lay out the motive and timeline in the pca?
Motive? Doubtful. That would be more likely in a circumstantial case. But if this is indeed a DNA case, they aren't likely to develop a motive narrative in the PCA. They'll save that for the showmanship of trial. They'll probably develop at least some of the timeline in the PCA -- I think we'll definitely hear a lot more about the travels of the Elantra.

There's usually a strategy in crafting charging documents -- they'll try to include enough info to satisfy a judge that there's probable cause, without revealing more of their hand than they're ready to show.

Bryan Kohberger defense team hires crime scene expert (Chicago Herald News. Jan 04, 2023)

The current PD has quite an education and also legal experience with long-term ties to Idaho and the university. Are there standards for PDs to perform a certain level or checklist of tasks? I ask because they hired relatively high quality professionals to recreate the crime scene. I am not sure who asked the police to not clean up. Do you think he will stick with this PD? Otherwise, will people clamor to defend him? Do you think a defense will go the way of OJ Simpson and Bill Cosby cases (alleged crimes only) in that the jury did not find either guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. I see the suspect's family might not be able to afford an attorney but the one family of a victim has an attorney.

Not to monopolize but ID is pro-death penalty and a victim's parents already stated they "are glad Idaho has the death penalty." If he pleads guilty like BTK and avoids trial(s) then will he automatically not receive the death penalty? Serious question and of course I have my own ethical stance: What is the motivation to use the death penalty? Can public pressure sway prosecutors to pursue the death penalty?

Thank you---I try to ask one question a day! And learn so much from all of you. I try to abide by guidelines but never mind a nudge or feedback. I really appreciate how this forum operates and the community.

Remember that the only reason the plane flight is a spectacle is that we, here, are making it a spectacle. I’m not criticizing that—but it’s us, not LE that are doing it. I’d bet plenty that the frequent stops have a reason that isn’t just to attract attention.

All MOO
Honestly I think it's a harmless spectacle. It doesn't actually influence the case or the investigation either way. I think LE, the defense, everyone would all agree they'd rather some nutty people track a plane on radar on their computers than try to speak to witnesses, spread rumors, leak evidence, release CCTV.

This is distracting people so much the state and the defense are going to file a joint motion to just move Bryan around the country occasionally while they prepare for trial. (JMO and JK)

ETA: HARMLESS. Not harmful, which made no sense. HARMLESS!

Last edited:
Lol. ^^^

If he's convicted, the harsh realities of life will thrust themselves upon him in prison.
He may spend the rest of his life evaluating his decisions; but at least he'll be alive.

Seriously, I wonder who is funding this new atty. for BK ?
Imo.
The taxpayers. Shes from the Public Defenders office in Kootenai County, ID (basically Coeur D'Alene).

Is the flight longer than the drive?
Seriously I can’t believe how long this has taken.
Surely there was a better way or plane to transport him. Sheeesh
It’s the Richest country in the world !!
This seems like a pretty good way to do this. How would suggest they transport him across the country?

Last edited:
Since we don't know how BK and his victims crossed paths, I'll just put this here as a remote possibility -- there is cooperative agreement between University of Idaho and Washington State University for some classes. Perhaps there was overlap somehow? (I kind of doubt it because I haven't heard any family or friends mention that possibility but I thought I would put the information out there.) MOO.

No. A state crime. No out of state transfer if convicted. No other state would want to deal with an Idaho criminal. JMO

I’m sure BK will stay in Idaho if convicted. Still, this has me wondering how often do prisoners convicted of state crimes do their prison time in other states? The only one I can recall is Steven* Hayes, one of the convicted murderers in the Cheshire, CT home invasion where members of the Petit family were killed. Some years after they were convicted, they got sent to PA in what was called an interstate agreement iirc. Not sure what all that entailed.

*Hayes was (is?) undergoing transition and goes by Linda now, I think. I don’t know the details about how Hayes ended up in another state but I wonder does it happen more than we realize?

Sorry, just jumping off your post

Eta apparently this was discussed a little before I posted, just hadn’t seen it yet. Oops

Last edited:
Alive? So no death penalty?
I'll tell you what: if he actually did this, he ought to die for it. I think it would be severely remiss of the authorities to let him plea bargain if they've got the evidence for a death penalty trial. Life imprisonment might be more severe, but he'd still be breathing everybody else's air.

Could somebody explain 'fugitive from justice warrant' to me as if I was a 5 year old please?

Fugitive From Justice

When people think of the term “fugitive from justice” they might think of a person who fled from the State where the prosecution would take place. A fugitive from justice might flee the jurisdiction in order to:

avoid prosecution for a felony or a misdemeanor;
evade the law; or
avoid punishment.

But the term “fugitive from justice” has a much broader definition that includes any person who:

has been charged with a crime in one state in the regular course of judicial proceedings but is found to be present in another state;
regardless of whether the person left the state before or after being charged; and
regardless of the motive that induced the departure.
The public sometimes uses the phrase “wanted person” when referring to a “fugitive from justice.”

A fugitive from justice is subject to domestic extradition if wanted by one state but living in another state. If the person is wanted by authorities in one country but living in another country, then the fugitive from justice is subject to an international extradition.

new poster this maybe has been addressed.

Question...do we know when Bryan and dad left WA? Is it possible a neighbor suggested looking at Kohberger's car and police were watching it almost from the beginning? Could that be the DNA match? Check the car, send the DNA in and while waiting for results, they headed to PA. Maybe why police weren't releasing anything

Could somebody explain 'fugitive from justice warrant' to me as if I was a 5 year old please?
You did a bad thing in your home town, and knowing you were going to get in trouble if anyone caught you, you ran away from home to escape being punished by the law. And it was bad enough and you had run far enough away to avoid facing justice that the law got a warrant for your arrest, so they could bring you back home to face the music. JMOO

DeSales University does not require GRE or other standardized test for grad school admission. For undergrad they may require SAT/ACT but for the co-terminal master's degree program, I do not know the facts. University's overall admission rate is overall 80%, so not particularly selective. For the Criminal Justice program, I've read that the rate of acceptance is even higher than that. Undergrad has been slightly more selective in the past, so when Bryan was accepted, perhaps it was more like 75%.

This information is not something I"d bet my life on, I got it from perusing niche.com and desales.edu

Criminal Justice is considered a professional program (like law or medicine or nursing). One group they want to attract are LEO's wanting to go into management, where work experience is more important. Application says no recommendations needed, though, so again, not the most selective uni in America. Still, he did apply, get in and complete coursework.
Eh, my grad program didn’t require the GRE either. Looked at my college grades, etc. not a big deal MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spicytaco46